Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 14:54   #2521
Senior - BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

^^Then by that definition in Chennai also, the shell Pump at Chromepet (technically kanchipuram district) should be Euro III and the one on Inner Ring Road Euro IV. Is that so?

Last edited by Gansan : 18th June 2015 at 14:55.
Old 18th June 2015, 16:20   #2522
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^Then by that definition in Chennai also, the shell Pump at Chromepet (technically kanchipuram district) should be Euro III and the one on Inner Ring Road Euro IV. Is that so?
Does the RTO covering Chromepet register BS-III vehicles? If the answer is no, then that should explain it.

If yes, then it may be because of supply chain reasons i.e. only a couple of pumps or so in Chennai would be located in BS-III zones, and it may not make logistical sense to maintain a separate supply for them. Or maybe Shell considered the entire CMDA area as Chennai, I don't know. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Shell pumps in and around Chennai seem to fall within the CMDA area as defined by this map:

http://www.cmdachennai.gov.in/pdfs/s...its_Tamil1.pdf

Of course, all this is my speculation only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The shell chart by RSR is interesting and explains why I paid only Rs. 75.45/ lit today at the Shell bunk.
Is this because the petrol is Euro III?

There were some boards stuck there which said that we are now giving petrol at market rates.
I guess you filled up at the Magarpatta bunk. I don't know if it's Euro-IV or Euro-III, but it seems to be a special pricing to popularise the Shell brand (is the pump relatively new?) among residents of the area.

Last edited by RSR : 18th June 2015 at 16:31. Reason: Including my reply to S_U_N
Old 18th June 2015, 16:24   #2523
Senior - BHPian

The shell chart by RSR is interesting and explains why I paid only Rs. 75.45/ lit today at the Shell bunk.
Is this because the petrol is Euro III?

There were some boards stuck there which said that we are now giving petrol at market rates.
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:01   #2524
BHPian

To clear the confusion, please note that the fuels are not Euro3 or Euro4. They are the exact same fuels that Shell sells everywhere. The classification is purely based on Euro3 and Euro4 areas of Bangalore as per RTO.

As far as V-Power is concerned, I am running on second tankful, and I can definitely feel that the engine has become smoother, and the engine note improved. Idling has become extra smooth. I haven't noticed any gain in power. And I am yet to calculate the mileage figures yet. However, I have noticed that the fuel gauge is coming down a bit slower.

Cheers
RevvMusic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 08:56   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Topped up with Vpower today at the Lingarajapuram outlet today for 81.75 for a litre.
I had denied vpower the last two times I went to shell,but this time I wanted to try it out and they had only vpower in stock. Not sure if that was a gimmick since there was a tanker unloading.

When I moved from IOC to Shell,it made a world of a difference in power delivery and smoothness. Expecting something more from the extra 8 bucks. Mileage is not much of a concern since the car is used less and efficiency has a mind of its own with dropping and increasing everytime.
Old 4th July 2015, 10:30   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
When I moved from IOC to Shell,it made a world of a difference in power delivery and smoothness. Expecting something more from the extra 8 bucks.
Me too. switched to shell very recently and yesterday filled with V power. I expect some difference for the differential amount. Maybe next weekend after consuming another full tank, should see some difference. Else will switch over to Shell normal.
Old 4th July 2015, 11:56   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Me too. switched to shell very recently and yesterday filled with V power. I expect some difference for the differential amount. Maybe next weekend after consuming another full tank, should see some difference. Else will switch over to Shell normal.
After driving for few Kms, it did feel different, especially the idling and the power delivery. Engine noise seems to have reduced as well.
It's definitely not a psychological feel in difference.
Old 4th July 2015, 12:25   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
After driving for few Kms, it did feel different, especially the idling and the power delivery. Engine noise seems to have reduced as well.
It's definitely not a psychological feel in difference.
Thanks buddy. Ive been using Shell ordinary atleast for the past 5 tanks and there were some perceived improvement in noise and acceleration felt quite smooth. I did not get any improvements in FE.

I tried Vpower to check if there will be any increase in FE. I will be very happy even if there is a marginal increase in FE. I now only get around 8.5 to 9 kms of city driving.
Old 15th July 2015, 14:23   #2529
Senior - BHPian

My last two refills at Shell @ Mundhwa were positive on three accounts:
1. They are no longer pushing for premium. They state once and if the customer states 'No', they do not persist anymore.
2. Petrol price is almost same as HP, BP, IOCL etc.
3. They had normal petrol in stock (no longer the excuse :only premium in stock, sorry)
They had some 'free oil check' I was told. I did not bother to look though.

I have never tried premium (or whatever it is called). I am happy with the normal version of it.
Edit: Price was 75.20 in Pune which is higher by around 25 paise compared to HP/ BP.

Last edited by S_U_N : 15th July 2015 at 14:24.
Old 15th July 2015, 15:43   #2530
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell fuel price discussion thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

1. They are no longer pushing for premium. They state once and if the customer states 'No', they do not persist anymore.

3. They had normal petrol in stock (no longer the excuse :only premium in stock, sorry)
S.U.N., I have never faced either problem at the Hinjewadi outlet. Maybe you should drop a note via their website so that the Kondhwa guy pulls up his socks?

Edit: typo

Last edited by noopster : 15th July 2015 at 16:52.
Old 15th July 2015, 16:01   #2531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
S.U.N., I have never faced either problem at the Hinjewadi outlet. Maybe you should drop a note via their website so that the Kondhwa guy picks up his socks?
Ditto at Warje pump. In fact, they have separate lines for normal unleaded and V-Power.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 15th July 2015, 19:11   #2532
BHPian

I have used only Shell after moving to Bangalore in 2013.

I recently rode in an Ola cab - a Mahindra Verito diesel. The cabbie was chatty; he had purchased the car new only 3 months prior. He said he used to fill only Shell diesel, but the mileage was poor. He switched to BP diesel and gets good mileage and is happy with the quality of BP fuel.

My car is petrol and I have always got what I consider poor mileage.

Anybody can shed more light on this issue?
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 22:29   #2533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
He said he used to fill only Shell diesel, but the mileage was poor. He switched to BP diesel and gets good mileage and is happy with the quality of BP fuel.
Dont know about your car, but about the cabbie's experiences, I & few others have experienced the same. I switched away from Shell & back to IOC for my Sumo, for a similar change in FE.
Old 16th July 2015, 08:43   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
He said he used to fill only Shell diesel, but the mileage was poor. He switched to BP diesel and gets good mileage and is happy with the quality of BP fuel.

Anybody can shed more light on this issue?
I have punto MJD and faced a similar case on shell diesel. Infact i have verified mileage more than once tank full to tank full and based on trip meter data, i was never able to get more than 13km/l (city drive), along with this poor acceleration so much irritating in stop and go traffic.

Have been filling in BP/HP, gets average of 14.5 to 15kmpl plus offers smooth drive.
Old 16th July 2015, 10:07   #2535
BHPian

Thanks Condor and Sudhindra. Both of you and the cabbie used diesel from Shell. Any Shell petrol users with lower mileage?

If they are not short changing, I wonder why the lower mileage. I normally wouldn't have paid much attention to this, but coming from a cabbie, who would be very sensitive to this issue, I decided to ask.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks