Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2017, 20:00   #2671
BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
The Shell pump on Bannerghata road, Gottigere is not dispensing fuel since about a week. They have put up the red cone barricades. Not sure what is the reason. Any BHPians come across this? Any alternate Shell/COCO pumps nearby? I am based near Hulimavu
The one in Porur, Chennai near my house has also closed down and have placed cone barricades.

I can see they have removed the dispensing units but there were the usual number of pump attendants . Not sure if they are replacing the units or shutting down .
Old 21st May 2017, 20:09   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Shell pumps are harassing petrol vehicle owners by trying to push V-power. I recently had to shout at a guy because he made me repeat 6 times that I wanted ordinary petrol for my 13 year old Alto and didn't want the benefits of V-power. This has happened quite frequently at 2 Shell bunks in Bangalore. Now they are trying to sell other merchandise too.
Even after telling them repeatedly, I wanted normal petrol they just filled the v-power, happened in their Whitefield outlet.
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:02   #2673
BANNED

Shell bunks have their own share of scams. The best is 'free engine oil check'.

All they do, the guys will come and pick up the engine oil stick and touch the oil in his finger and pronounce the thickness has gone down alarmingly and need immediate change. And then will come the bible of how good their engine oil is and how it will turn water to ice after 30 min of bumper to bumper traffic etc.

After politely or patiently refusing all these years, sometime back I have decided to try their engine oil. The service was due, but I wanted to push the servicing a couple of month and decided to try their engine oil.

My experience, it cost me more that the A.S.S., where A.S.S. uses mobil1. Engine feel crude and heated and somehow I was not satisfied with the outcome.

After filling up engine oil, I went to same filling center after a couple of week for regular petrol filling and and out of curiosity asked the guy to do free engine oil check .

And there came the shock of my life, (or rather his life), "Sir when was the last time you serviced your car?".
Me: 6 month back, why?
Attendant: "Engine oil thickness is very low, you should change it immediately"
Me: You only changed it last week !

His facial expression, priceless.
PetrolRider is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:04   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Shell bunks have their own share of scams. The best is 'free engine oil check'. . . . . His facial expression, priceless.
I too have faced this a lot when I used to fill up at the Shell bunk close to my place before. And these guys are smart in scanning and filtering the cars whose drivers they target. They will never approach Cab drivers / Yellow boards - but try and look for people that are alone in the car (Those with families will not typically wait for 30 mins at the bunk).
I once showed him that the exact oil that he wanted to sell me was available much cheaper on Amazon, and he stopped bothering me thereafter.
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:16   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
The Shell pump on Bannerghata road, Gottigere is not dispensing fuel since about a week. They have put up the red cone barricades. Not sure what is the reason.
So I called up shell customer service yesterday and got the number of the Gottigere Pump. I spoke to him and he said it may have been a temporary shut down for maintenance and that the pump is up and running now.

I went last evening and filled in Diesel. For the few hours that I thought Shell is not functioning in my neighbourhood, I felt a bit helpless and vulnerable as I needed to depend on the monstrous Govt owned pumps.
Filling up at Shell felt like a lifeline..
Old 6th June 2017, 16:00   #2676
BHPian

My experience with Shell so far

1.Getz 2006 1.3 Petrol - Allergic to Shell, would having knocking problem. But marginal acceleration improvement with slight loss of mileage to the tune of 0.5kmpl.

2.Yamaha RX100 1996 - Severely allergic to Shell, had shut down couple of times.

3.I20 2013 CRDI - Excellent response to Shell Diesel, City Mileage is 15-16kmpl whereas it is 14kmpl for PSU diesel. Highway mileage is 19-20kmpl with Shell and 18kmpl with PSU diesel. With Shell diesel, Engine sounds smoother and feels responsive(note - not explosive).

4.I10 2010 Kappa 1.2 AT - Excellent response to Shell petrol, Regular Shell petrol City Mileage is 10-10.5kmpl, V-Power 10.5kmpl(but vehicle is peppier to drive and once the mileage reached 11.5kmpl) against the PSU petrol Mileage 9kmpl.

5.Dealership experience - Better organised with working Toilets and Air refilling. Fuel quality is assured as transport of fuel from refinery is better protected than PSU pumps. Fuel guns have only two locks where they oblige slower/first lock readily when compared PSU where they would just go for faster lock with a stare.

6.Pushing of Lubes and Vpower - never forceful. I refuse politely and raise the window, they just go about fulfilling my request. I usually purchase lubes from shell only, at my requirement, not on forced selling.

7.Growing crowds of cabbies denote it is not expensive(after deregulation of fuel prices)anymore to fuel at shell, if not cheaper than the PSU pumps.

8.Shell executives are answerable to quality/quantity issues than the easygo officials of the PSU OMCs.

Note:
- I fuel at least 3 to 4 times per month in Shell Bellandur or Hoodi.

- PSU pumps mean BP opposite to Manipal hospital or HP COCO before Manipal Hospital, both reliable and I have been visiting them since 10years.

- City driving is mostly in ORR Bangalore, at an average speed of 10-15kmph, lone driver.

- Highway driving is mostly Bangalore- Chennai. If fueling in Shell, I will usually return with one full tank and refuel after returning back(650-700 km and 32-35 liters). If fueling in PSU then I have to refill in Hosur though I can just reach Bangalore without refilling. Load 2 or 3 adults + 1 kid and about 30kg luggage.

- I20 did not show huge difference in mileage with 3 different shoes - 185/65/14(accelere), 195/55/15(accelere), 195/60/15(PST3).

IMHO Shell is definitely worth trying if there is not much travel or waiting involved. Vpower though improves peppiness, might not be pocket friendly(I use this once in three fills). PSU pumps are faster catching up in service front but given a choice I wont put my trust where multiple unaccountable Government Employees are involved.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 22:20   #2677
Senior - BHPian

I was at Shell on Vittal Mallya Road, Bengaluru on Sunday filling diesel for my Mobilio. The attendant told me that Vpower diesel is launching on 09.06.2017.
He also guaranteed me that if I start filling Vpower in my 2004 Alto, the engine will become new. I specifically asked him 'if we open up the engine, will the bore, cam and Pistons will be new', he said that it will after 2-3 refills. I didn't believe him so his manager came and he also confirmed the same and even offered to give it in writing.
I'm sure that 2-3 refills will be much cheaper than a rebuild and am seriously considering taking up the challenge. I recommend anyone else with an old car to also avail this offer.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:01   #2678
Senior - BHPian

I noticed that Shell petrol is >Re1 costlier than other bunks in bangalore post daily revision. Is it the same in other places too?
Old 7th July 2017, 22:46   #2679
JD1
BHPian

* For Karnataka * -- Cross posting here - Due to entry tax getting abolished in Karnataka, state owned oil companies are now almost 5% cheaper than Shell. I filled today from Shell Bellandur @ 68 (vs approx 64.5 for others).
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 11:26   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I was at Shell on Vittal Mallya Road, Bengaluru on Sunday filling diesel for my Mobilio. The attendant told me that Vpower diesel is launching on 09.06.2017.
He also guaranteed me that if I start filling Vpower in my 2004 Alto, the engine will become new. I specifically asked him 'if we open up the engine, will the bore, cam and Pistons will be new', he said that it will after 2-3 refills. I didn't believe him so his manager came and he also confirmed the same and even offered to give it in writing.
I'm sure that 2-3 refills will be much cheaper than a rebuild and am seriously considering taking up the challenge. I recommend anyone else with an old car to also avail this offer.
These two guys deserve the Nobel prize. Think about how much energy and waste can be saved by avoiding the manufacture of new engines and just filling VPower a couple of times in old engines to make them new
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 12:00   #2681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
* For Karnataka * -- Cross posting here - Due to entry tax getting abolished in Karnataka, state owned oil companies are now almost 5% cheaper than Shell. I filled today from Shell Bellandur @ 68 (vs approx 64.5 for others).
If entry tax is abolished, shouldn't it apply to Shell also?
Old 4th August 2017, 09:46   #2682
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this on Shell website and made a pdf. Attaching the same below
It is the change in MRP of the shell lubes post GST. Useful info to have
Source

Post GST Price List for Shell Lubricants’ brands _ Shell India.pdf
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 20:44   #2683
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell is offering Happy Hours on fuel !

Sundays: 11 am - 5 pm
1 Rs discount per litre on all fuels.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 14:41   #2684
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Below is the offer poster in one of the stations

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-20170910_123147.jpg

It's no direct discount. With the fuel bill we can shop something in the shell shop for the amount. I filled 40ltrs today i could shop something for 40rs in the shell shop. I bought a 35rs lays and a 5rs dairy milk

Last edited by Aditya : 10th September 2017 at 15:24.
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 14:08   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Shell drives a Merc!
Was happy to see the solid truck and the driver relaxing with full blast AC, and door open. The exhaust was beneath the front crash guard with solid protective cage. They do take great pains on safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-img_5244.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks