Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 09:27   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
1. Every time you fill the car there is vapour loss, so less refilling means less vapor loss
Evaporation will constantly happen even when the tank is closed. The lid will not be airtight, else the fuel will not flow! Actually the opposite is true. The more fuel you have in the tank, the less space for air inside, therefore less evaporation loss! I always top-up fuel at the half tank mark.
Old 11th October 2011, 09:34   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe even the PSUs have price me 74.81 saw this price in one of the HP petrol bunk.
Old 11th October 2011, 12:36   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Evaporation will constantly happen even when the tank is closed. The lid will not be airtight, else the fuel will not flow! Actually the opposite is true. The more fuel you have in the tank, the less space for air inside, therefore less evaporation loss! I always top-up fuel at the half tank mark.
hm, true, the vapors are still in the tank and they condense and vaporize during the hot and cold day - nights. Its when you open the lid to refilling that they are lost in large quantities. So frequent lid opening will only increase vapor loss. The amount of vapor generated does not drastically vary between 1/2 and near empty tank.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:42   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Guys, in Bangalore and Pune are lucky!!
Here in Hyderabad Shell Normal is Rs. 76.75 per litre and Premium is 79.25/- per litre.
Checked today at the bunk.
Old 12th October 2011, 18:17   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There is no doubt that PSUs rip customers off.
In more ways than one. Their dealers are worse. The rip off starts with the crude import till the dealer dispenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
But, can there a difference in the "auto cut-off" point caliberation in the fuel dispensers at PSUs and Shell? Of course, there's no way there'll be a difference of 6l.
The difference my friend is in the metering. A dealer friend once confided - the choice is between short metering and shameless adulteration. Some dealers do both. Actually the rot starts from the refining stage, if we ignore the purchase of crude. One BIG rip off.
Old 12th October 2011, 19:46   #1416
BHPian

Whats the price of diesel at Shell in Bangalore, after reading this thread makes me want to try and everyone seems to get better results, if theres not much difference in performance/mileage I know whom all to curse

Found the link to Shell Pricing in India (It gives citywise details)

http://www.shell.com/home/content/in...pricing_board/

Last edited by kartikk : 12th October 2011 at 19:55. Reason: Link Added
Old 13th October 2011, 16:04   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post

Fuel Pricing at Shell Stations - India
Just went through the link, why is that the Hyderabad prices are the highest. More so , the difference in petrol prices are even higher when compared the diesel prices of the different city, can't understand why ?
Old 13th October 2011, 16:35   #1418
Distinguished - BHPian

Filled Super at 73.95 yesterday at Hinjewadi. The attendant confirmed there has been a 50p hike (the website above lists it as 73.50 even now).

There is a limited period offer to win a Ferrari model car if you tank up fully before 31st Oct. They took my name and number and put it in a box and swore that I would get a car! Let's see...!
Old 31st October 2011, 12:46   #1419
Senior - BHPian

A bit OT here. I had gone to Shell yesterday and proceeded to the air-check point after filling petrol. Got down from the car (as is my practice while filling air) and absentmindedly locked the car with the key inside.

A line was already forming behind my car. I apologized to them, went and appraised the manager about the problem. As no mechanic shops will be open (it was 8.00 AM), told him I will go home by auto and fetch the spare key. Voluntarily and without hesitation he immediately started his brand new FZ and took me to my home. We were back at the station with the spare key within 15 minutes! He did not bat an eyelid and never lost his smile all the while.

Last edited by Gansan : 31st October 2011 at 12:48.
Gansan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:20   #1420
BHPian

Shell Price has gone up. Filled normal yesterday @74.20
Not sure if this is in anticipation ofh raise by PSU.
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:05   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell has quitely increased the price from 74.78 to 75 silently.

Now considering that the oil companies are losing about 1.82 rupees per litres how come Shell increased it by 22 paise only? Another scam in the making for the sake of Congress and by congress.
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:03   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Shell has quitely increased the price from 74.78 to 75 silently.

Now considering that the oil companies are losing about 1.82 rupees per litres how come Shell increased it by 22 paise only? Another scam in the making for the sake of Congress and by congress.
Yes. I filed the tank yesterday, and noticed it to be 75/-

I think Shell cannot have a huge gap else they will start losing business and hence try to keep it the gap as little as possible. Once PSU hikes, the 75 will also go up !
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:35   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Whats the price of diesel at Shell in Bangalore, after reading this thread makes me want to try and everyone seems to get better results, if theres not much difference in performance/mileage I know whom all to curse

Fuel Pricing at Shell Stations - India
Shell diesel is hyper expensive. The link says its around 53 odd /litre.

I got a a refill without asking the price and was shocked to see a 6 buck difference per litre. Thankfully, I got only 10 litres that day.

Only petrol is worth it from these guys.
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:35   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Its well known that the fuel cos. buy crude at a different price mix. Its possible that Shell made a very wise decision and made a good purchase at lesser price band, compared to what the PSU have for their crude price mix. It very well justifies the occasional few paise lower pricing at Shell compared to the PSU, though its a rarity. The other factor that could be the reason here is, Bangalore's proximity to Mangalore, the key port from where Shell gets most its import. Hence the state levies are not much. Whereas, the pricing from PSU is uniform across the country, on top of which the state tax get added.

Another point to note, the loss, as claimed by the PSUs are only on the books and notional. The tax, the end user pays on the fuel offsets the 'so-called' subsidy is not less than 10:1 ratio. So, ideally its lower profits for the Govt., and not exactly a loss for the PSU ;-)
Old 3rd November 2011, 08:30   #1425
Distinguished - BHPian

Replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric View Post
Its well known that the fuel cos. buy crude at a different price mix. Its possible that Shell made a very wise decision and made a good purchase at lesser price band, compared to what the PSU have for their crude price mix. It very well justifies the occasional few paise lower pricing at Shell compared to the PSU, though its a rarity. The other factor that could be the reason here is, Bangalore's proximity to Mangalore, the key port from where Shell gets most its import. Hence the state levies are not much. Whereas, the pricing from PSU is uniform across the country, on top of which the state tax get added.

As far as I am aware, Shell buys refined fuel from MRPL, so how does the crude mix come in to picture. I am not questioning your logic, just trying to understand how this fuel thing works. MRPL would be dumb enough to sell fuel at a lower price to Shell making loss. Thats why my concern. Or in an other way, why cant other refineries follow MRPL strategy of buying crude to keep cost low.

Another point to note, the loss, as claimed by the PSUs are only on the books and notional. The tax, the end user pays on the fuel offsets the 'so-called' subsidy is not less than 10:1 ratio. So, ideally its lower profits for the Govt., and not exactly a loss for the PSU ;-)
This is all but another way of minting money to fill pockets of BABUS by the Center. Every time there is a hike in fuel prices, the tax revenue is going up. Shouldn't there be fixed tax amount instead of tax rate to keep the prices from rising even more of the tax rate rather than tax amount.

All in all, this government is not for common man in any way. UPA (United Progressive Alliance) applies only to its alliances and not for the common man

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks