Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2008, 12:35   #91
BHPian

Someone said on this thread that the battrey pack costs abt US$ 3000 which is abt 1.20lakhs and shud get cheaper in the future.
Old 13th November 2008, 13:05   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
25 was only my guess. Even I saw the press report of 60 later - but that was not for last month alone; it is the entire sales so far.
I think you should be right with your figure of 25 as I read somewhere else that the 60 figure includes the TD vehicles also. So 25 real owners seem to be a reasonable figure.

Now coming back to the topic, If I had bought a hybrid at 21.5+ lacs, I would have felt really cheated by Honda and would never buy a Honda car again in its first year of launch.

Does this proove again that Honda cars are overpriced in India?
Old 13th November 2008, 13:31   #93
BHPian

I think, Honda is just clearing their stock to avoid onshelf depriciation. They might have imported a big consignment and now wants to clear it on loss by absorbing 100% excise and custom import duties. They might be planning to launch new version of Hybrid.
Old 13th November 2008, 13:39   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
Someone said on this thread that the battrey pack costs abt US$ 3000 which is abt 1.20lakhs and shud get cheaper in the future.
$3K is 1.5L at today’s rates. Add duties and taxes, the actual price of batteries may be closer to 3L mentioned earlier.

Does this battery come with some kind of warranty for minimum usage? (like Reva)
Old 13th November 2008, 14:12   #95
BHPian

Hi All,

Just called Sundaram Honda at Hyderabad and was informed that the ex-showroom price for Civic Hybrid is 13.4 lac. He also mentioned that this is due to the customs duty cut (for CBU which is around 104%) and he also confirmed that it is still a CBU.

I am personally not sure that the customs duty cut for hybrid cars (or specially for Honda hybrid) is a reality. Can anyone in this forum use their contact to get that information? If this is reality, we will soon find a lot of options in the hybrid segment.
Old 13th November 2008, 14:14   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Now coming back to the topic, If I had bought a hybrid at 21.5+ lacs, I would have felt really cheated by Honda and would never buy a Honda car again in its first year of launch.
I totally agree with you. Not only Hybrid buyers but also if I had bought Civic V lately, I'd feel cheated. Now getting so much more in just few months.

Earlier I thought one should never buy a Honda after its new product is 3 years old as with examples of OHC, Accord and the NHC, they completely change their products suddenly, leaving the consumer feeling cheated. And now with the Civic Hybrid example their so 'very loyal' customers will lose trust in their new offerings also.

Its not only consumer trust but lately Honda is behaving very strange. First they launched the Civic Sports, only "sports" label, no actual offering in terms of sports. Which I haven't seen on road yet.

Then they prelaunched the ANHC almost 3 months prior to actual offering. Which actually is being a pain in neck for the dealers with old stock.

Civic Hybrid at 21 Lakhs in itself was a bad decision and actually Hybrid was not as urgent as they did (on the other hand if they had worked on Accord Hybrid and taken more time, it would have been a different story), and now with the huge price cut in Civic Hybrid, they have shaken the consumer trust in the brand. Still they call it 'limited edition", why? Smells fishy are they in a hurry to sell the car, or trying to hide actual reason of price cut. Are they going to increase the price or will they close the model after this edition?

It seems they are too worried about their falling sales and are taking decisions in hurry.
Old 13th November 2008, 14:26   #97
BHPian

I dont know if this is OT or not, but I remember reading somewhere that the emissions from the Hybird have alot more carbon dioxide content than normal cars; making it harmful for the environment but economical to run. True/False?
I cant quote where I read this but I remember it was some time ago. So taking this as true, from a green point of view, it isnt that helpful is it? So why not stick to normal petrol cars?
Also, do all Hybrids have that huge stickering on the side announcing to the world what you're driving in?
Old 13th November 2008, 14:30   #98
BHPian

These Civics Hybrids are all CBU units and need 3-4weeks of time for importing them, am very sure Honda must have not stocked the Hybrids and they are not trying to clear off the stocks, if it was so they wont ask for 3-4weeks of delivery time i guess its just to take advantage of the Govt duty cut.
Old 13th November 2008, 15:59   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
@vivek: did you find any difference in quality of interiors? The hybrids pics show a nicer designed and supportive leather seats. Is it any diff from the regular version?
The seats I felt, were the same (with leather, of course). Other changes to the interiors include six airbags, a more sophisticated security system, a vent on the rear parcel shelf for the battery pack, steering mounted controls for the audio system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
very interesting development. I wonder if this is Honda's way of saying. We dont have a diesel to offer, but we have here the Hybrid with similar running costs.
But even then it is no match for the diesel, is it?? Realistic FE figures are between 13-16kmpl according to me. No compliants, at this price it is justifiable.

Pity those who already bought one at Rs 24lakhs.
Old 13th November 2008, 18:11   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
Pity those who already bought one at Rs 24lakhs.
I bet, they will never buy Honda again
Old 13th November 2008, 18:32   #101
BHPian

There is no customs duty cut. This is because that will open the gates for a no. of car makers around the world to sneak into India via a shortcut. The countries around the world offer tax cuts for eco friendly cars are those with already low customs and excise duties. In India if that is offered Caddilac Escalade that costs about 50000$ that compete with say some what with the Audi Q7 will compete with the Nissan X Trail! That's not fair. And imagine which new car maker would be intrested to set up a plant in India?

I dont think we should be crtisizing Honda for what they have done. You see I wanted to buy the Civic Hybrid badly and thought it would cost about 18Lakhs. But, after its launch I bought the CRV b'coz the Hybrid was very expensive. Now, I am not at all upset with Honda. Infact, I appreciate Honda for doing a price cut. I am sure this will pinch them by atleast 3 lakhs if not more per unit sold. Whatever be it wheather stock clearance or not, kudos to Honda.
Old 13th November 2008, 18:42   #102
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You could count the number of existing hybrid customers on your fingers; I don't think there will be too many cheesed off personalities around. This price cut is only to clear Honda Indias inventory, whether the stock thats already arrived in India or has already been pre-ordered by Honda India. At a price of 22 lakhs these cars have only been gathering dust in the stockyard.

Is the deal good enough? Of course. The price is mouth-watering for a hybrid Civic. You get a technologically advanced, high FE, low emission Japanese built car for a discounted price. A price that is lower than cost.

Is the Civic hybrid for everyone? Should existing Civic owners feel bad about their recent decision? NO WAYS. The Hybrid is most suited to the city and can't match the highway performance of the 1.8 petrol. And the battery will be expensive enough to negate any fuel saving costs over the initial 3 years. Lets say you drive 16,000 kms per year. Thats 48,000 kms in 3 years:

Fuel cost - Regular Civic : 2,77,894 (48,000 / 9.5 * 55)

Fuel cost - Hybrid Civic : 2,11,200 (48,000 / 12.5 * 55)

Now, add the 2.5 lakh battery cost at the end of 3 years. Would you spend 2,50,000+ lakhs to save 66,000 Sometimes it only takes simple math to see the light.

And don't forget : The Hybrid is a WHOPPING 3 seconds slower in the 0 - 100. Its more like Hyundai Getz petrol 0 - 100 territory. Those of you who are owners of the 1.8 : Congrats. Great choice. Happy High-revving!

Last edited by GTO : 13th November 2008 at 19:15.
Old 13th November 2008, 18:52   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You could count the number of existing hybrid customers on your fingers; I don't think there will be too many cheesed off personalities around. This price cut is only to clear Honda Indias inventory, whether the stock thats already arrived in India or has already been pre-ordered by Honda India. At a price of 22 lakhs these cars have only been gathering dust in the stockyard.

Is the deal good enough? Of course. The price is mouth-watering for a hybrid Civic. You get a technologically advanced, high FE, low emission Japanese built car for a discounted price. A price that is lower than cost.

Is the Civic hybrid for everyone? Should existing Civic owners feel bad about their recent decision? NO WAYS. The Hybrid is most suited to the city and can't match the highway performance of the 1.8 petrol. And the battery will be expensive enough to negate any fuel saving costs over the initial 3 years. Lets say you drive 16,000 kms per year. Thats 48,000 kms in 3 years:

Now, add the 2.5 lakh battery cost at the end of 3 years. Would you spend 2,50,000+ lakhs to save 66,000, every 3 years? Sometimes it only takes simple math to see the light.

And don't forget : The Hybrid is a WHOPPING 3 seconds slower in the 0 - 100. Its more like Hyundai Getz petrol 0 - 100 territory. Those of you who are owners of the 1.8 : Congrats. Great choice. Happy High-revving!

I feel great owning a 1.8 Civic and was never ever in any angle appreciating the mileage and savings figure for the hybrid as it was never any mind boggling figures like 20+km to a litre or so.

Also agree with you on the count that it is a technologically advanced car - but simply do not have that battery change money in hand / not prefer to have an expense of 2.5lak every 3 years.

Instead if i decide to mod my 1.8, every three years for the same amount it will satisfy me and will look different and perform well too.
Old 13th November 2008, 19:51   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Now, add the 2.5 lakh battery cost at the end of 3 years. Would you spend 2,50,000+ lakhs to save 66,000 Sometimes it only takes simple math to see the light.

Great GTO. You always have some numbers to prove your claims.

Except for the air of 'environment friendliness' surrounding it, there is not much in the Civic Hybrid. You have to drive like an old woman to get the best FE out of it which spoils the fun. And a normal Civic 1.8 will beat it on FE in the highway anyday.

What irritates me even more is the fact that it is too noisy when accelerating. Any one felt that?
Old 13th November 2008, 20:08   #105
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure about the 12.5 kmpl mileage?

Duh , leave it , still wont make much difference

If it goes down to something like 11 lakh ( price of the car ) , it will make some sense as the savings will be more in that case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks