Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 22:23   #796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
So if I want a car with 6 airbags I should have 15 lakhs in pocket? Is that how much curtain airbags cost.
BTW I'm not all impressed with 500! ( probably coz I cant afford it ) I like Linea and Punto though.

And it does not matter if Car company A or B or C doesnt have it. Fiat could have taken the lead and provided them on Linea. Somebody has to take the lead why not Fiat? Why that typical Indian mentality of passing the buck and making excuses instead of doing the job? Are our lives less important than those of americans or europeans?

Personally skeapking I am very much a safety oriented person and I would have appreciated if Fiat had at least given curtain airbags as option. At least allow people to BUY safety!

Not impressed with Blue&Me Sorry! Its useless and will prefer airbags anyday or night over this toy!! You are welcome to have a different opinion - no problems with that.

And are you suggesting i20 doesnt at least offer curtain airbags???
well even when cars twice or three times more expensive dont provide 6 airbags, how on earth do you expect fiat to fit those options on car costing 6-9 lac. Though i agree on the safety part we also need international standard crash protection(that can only happen via some political pressure).
Old 16th January 2009, 22:31   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
well even when cars twice or three times more expensive dont provide 6 airbags, how on earth do you expect fiat to fit those options on car costing 6-9 lac. Though i agree on the safety part we also need international standard crash protection(that can only happen via some political pressure).
o bhai. was I talking Greek so far?
All I am asking is at least as an OPTION if not as standard fitment. They can charge for that. It doesnt cost more than 20k (as from i20 Asta & Asta(O) price).

Is even asking as an option too much???

This Blue&Me thing is also not there in pricier cars. But Fiat is providing this as option in Linea. Why not curtain airbags??? This would have been segment first as well (another USP for Linea). Past was past and we cant change that but at least in future cars safety should be taken care and should be more important than any other frills.
Old 16th January 2009, 23:01   #798
BHPian

Quote:
All I am asking is at least as an OPTION if not as standard fitment. They can charge for that. It doesnt cost more than 20k (as from i20 Asta & Asta(O) price).

This Blue&Me thing is also not there in pricier cars. But Fiat is providing this as option in Linea. Why not curtain airbags??? This would have been segment first as well (another USP for Linea). Past was past and we cant change that but at least in future cars safety should be taken care and should be more important than any other frills.
There is nothing wrong in what you expect, but not many of us know the cost incurred for the manufacturers in having too much customizable options in cars. This is the sole reason why a group of features are clubbed and offered on a variant.

If Fiat tries to offer ABS and Airbags as an option in all variants, it is going to bring down the operational efficiency of the plant and the Linea will end up losing the VFM factor.Only solution is for government to make ABS and atleast 2 airbags mandatory for cars that are greater than 4 Metres in length and offer engine greater than 1.2 litres in displacement. The government can give a certain percent of excise duty for cars that offer these.Just my 2 cents.
Old 17th January 2009, 00:04   #799
BHPian

Quote:

20k extra for 6 airbags ?and you get it in i20 asta ?Very Good smoking greek ? I am out of this thread maybe i cant understand you.
Chill

Last edited by FERRO : 17th January 2009 at 00:11.
Old 17th January 2009, 00:41   #800
Senior - BHPian

@joslicx,

ABS is not available only on Active while for Dynamic and Emotion, it is available. Airbags are available on Emotion. Price difference between Active and Dynamic is around 20K. I am sure, a safety conscious person like you, who is shelling out minimum 6.5L for the car, wouldn't mind paying 20K extra to get option of ABS + some more goodies.

BTW, there are large number of customers (even in T-BHP) who still want to stay away from Airbags. It costs BOMB if airbags get deployed (I guess, around 2L for Skoda). And, if it gets deployed in less than fatal accident, more possible in Indian scenario, you'll have much lighter pocket. (If you don't trust my words, search threads on airbags).

Incidentally, Palio GTX was the first (and only hatch till recently) in India to have introduced ABS and AirBags and there were NO takers for it. (SP-PS model).

Fiat seems to have learnt their lesson. It is not as if they are not providing Airbags or ABS, but they know that there are less customers out there for these. And those, who really want it, won't mind shelling out extra money.
Old 17th January 2009, 01:09   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
@joslicx,

ABS is not available only on Active while for Dynamic and Emotion, it is available. Airbags are available on Emotion. Price difference between Active and Dynamic is around 20K. I am sure, a safety conscious person like you, who is shelling out minimum 6.5L for the car, wouldn't mind paying 20K extra to get option of ABS + some more goodies.

Fiat seems to have learnt their lesson. It is not as if they are not providing Airbags or ABS, but they know that there are less customers out there for these. And those, who really want it, won't mind shelling out extra money.
ABS is available only from Dynamic Option pack, Airbags on Emotion option pack. It does not matter what happened in the past - Linea is the make or break product for Fiat, and safety is something thats a key characteristic in a modern car - they should atleast offer a safety package including ABS+Airbags on the top two models. My expectation is ABS+Airbags standard on all models - they can put some of the fancy features and goodies in option packs. ANHC gets applause on this count.
Maybe, they could have charged 20k more for each variant to make it more feasible (less people may have gone for the non-safety option packs)
Old 17th January 2009, 01:13   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
20k extra for 6 airbags ?and you get it in i20 asta ?Very Good smoking greek ? I am out of this thread maybe i cant understand you.
Chill
Ferro,
Actually its true. The only difference between the i20 Asta and Asta (O) is the presence of curtain airbags. For a price diff of 22k.
Old 17th January 2009, 01:23   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Ferro,
Actually its true. The only difference between the i20 Asta and Asta (O) is the presence of curtain airbags. For a price diff of 22k.
thanks for info.
The point is this guy wanted 6 airbags option for 20k extra. If its so cheap why not have it on each car.
Old 17th January 2009, 01:24   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
ABS is available only from Dynamic Option pack, Airbags on Emotion option pack. they should atleast offer a safety package including ABS+Airbags on the top two models. My expectation is ABS+Airbags standard on all models - they can put some of the fancy features and goodies in option packs. ANHC gets applause on this count.
Maybe, they could have charged 20k more for each variant to make it more feasible (less people may have gone for the non-safety option packs)
I agree with that. However, what they are trying to sell is what market is asking for. If they had not provided option at all, that would have been real bad. I guess, they don't want to raise prices of their variants, instead leave it to customers to decide if they want these safety options or not. Toyota, which is known as most customer friendly company, doesn't offer it on base variants of Innova, which cost upto 10L.
Old 17th January 2009, 01:40   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Ferro,
That would be 2 side + 2 curtain airbags. Price seems too less considering airbags are pretty expensive fitment.

BTW, cost of airbags would vary based on size, mechanisms used and economies of scale or otherwise. Which is why we probably need legislation to make 2 front airbags and ABS mandatory -> costs would come down, and car makers won't be able to play hide and seek with safety ...
Old 17th January 2009, 07:22   #806
Senior - BHPian

check out this beautiful Linea video
cool song too - by Macob Wegmann

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th January 2009 at 07:31.
Old 17th January 2009, 07:36   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT (from the linea) but still on the subject of 'Airbags':

Do read this link for 'Airbag Warnings'. It's kind of cluttered but a very nice read on airbags :-)

Y.P.R.: Airbag Warnings

Cheers,
Old 17th January 2009, 07:37   #808
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
Guys...need insight on this...sorry to repeat the question...why does the same Pack (Airbags + Blue & Me + Steering wheel controls) cost more in MJD costs less in Petrol version with Alloys thrown in at no additional cost??

heres my 2 cents

so Emotion pack diesel is the top end (Alloys, blue and me everything) Rs. 9,08,000 OTR Ahmedabad my car!

Emotion diesel is a step lower then that (No blue and me and something else but it does have alloys) 50K less then Emotion Pack

Petrol emotions have the same feature list but is cheaper because they are petrols. (Difference between Pack and EMotion is 30K for petrols but again they both have alloys)
Old 17th January 2009, 08:41   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Do read this link for 'Airbag Warnings'. It's kind of cluttered but a very nice read on airbags :-)
Y.P.R.: Airbag Warnings
Scary. Fun. Very detailed set of instructions indeed
Old 17th January 2009, 11:06   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
Emotion diesel is a step lower then that (No blue and me and something else but it does have alloys) 50K less then Emotion Pack
Emotion MJD does not have alloys AFAIK.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks