Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:49   #256
BHPian

Saw the car on Noida - Kalindi Kunj bridge being driven towards Delhi. Looked as good as it looks in pictures. Wasn't able to get a picture or see it in detail as I was going in the opposite direction.
Old 4th April 2009, 10:42   #257
Senior - BHPian

Can someone give us the prices of the City and Jazz in Dubai? Honda CEO already said that in Thailand the Jazz is more expensive then the City so wondering if it's the same in Dubai. I really don't know how they are going to price the Jazz here if that's the case.

Also, in the pictures posted, are these the top end City and Jazz models on display because the Jazz is showing steering buttons on both side of the steering while the City has them on the left side only. Seems like the Jazz is more loaded then the City. Also, both cars have blinkers in the OVRM's. The Indian City doesn't have them. Jazz interiors look better then City in terms of plastic quality in the pictures.
Old 4th April 2009, 12:38   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The Red Jazz looks really nice and I see a 6CD changer there. I wonder if thats gonna be offered in India.
I am not sure if CD players/changers are that essential these days.

I was one of those who was not happy with ANHC not having CD player and even thought of getting one fitted (at 13 K).

But I thought I will give a try converting them and ripped almost entire collection in a matter of 4-5 hours (it takes less then 5 mins per CD) using itunes. Now the entire collection sits in a 16 GB thumbdrive (available for Rs 1500). I guess you get 32 GB thumbdrives as well.
Once you convert, it is far more convenient then messing with the CDs (Apart from taking space, they inveriably get in to wrong cases ).
Old 4th April 2009, 14:33   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I am not sure if CD players/changers are that essential these days.

I was one of those who was not happy with ANHC not having CD player and even thought of getting one fitted (at 13 K).

But I thought I will give a try converting them and ripped almost entire collection in a matter of 4-5 hours (it takes less then 5 mins per CD) using itunes. Now the entire collection sits in a 16 GB thumbdrive (available for Rs 1500). I guess you get 32 GB thumbdrives as well.
Once you convert, it is far more convenient then messing with the CDs (Apart from taking space, they inveriably get in to wrong cases ).
Well a mp3 quality may be enough for you and a few others but is certainly not for me. So a generalization such as this is uncalled for. I'm sure there are many others on this forum who'd still prefer a CD over compressed music. Heck at home these days, I still listen to vinyl LPs, let alone CDs.
Old 4th April 2009, 15:47   #260
BHPian

Honda Jazz
Wheelbase 2500 mm (98.4 in)
Length 3985 mm (156.9 in)
Width 1695 mm (66.7 in)
Height 1525 mm (60 in)
Curb weight 1,070 kg (2,359 lb)

Fiat Grande Punto
Wheelbase 2510 mm (98.8 in)
Length 4030 mm (158.7 in)
Width 1687 mm (66.4 in)
Height 1490 mm (58.7 in)
Curb weight 1015 kg (2238 lb) - 1040 kg (2293 lb)

Hyundai i20
Wheelbase 2525 mm (99.4 in)
Length 3940 mm (155.1 in)
Width 1710 mm (67.3 in)
Height 1505 mm (59.2 in)
Curb weight 1197 kg (2638 lb)

Dimensionally Jazz fits in between punto and i20. Just thinking about the space inside

Last edited by shineshine : 4th April 2009 at 15:49.
Old 4th April 2009, 17:19   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well a mp3 quality may be enough for you and a few others but is certainly not for me. So a generalization such as this is uncalled for. I'm sure there are many others on this forum who'd still prefer a CD over compressed music. Heck at home these days, I still listen to vinyl LPs, let alone CDs.
RoC, you are an audiophiles, and clearly there would be people who spends a lot of money on top quality speakers for their cars. For them there would be a difference. A large majority dont touch their stock setup and speakers.

Fact remains an mp3 ripped at 192kbps or AAC most people (bar audiophiles) wont be able to make much of a difference between the CD & mp3 in car systems. Especially so since most stock speakers have lousy frequency response and there would a lot of ambient noise in the car compared to a quiet environment.

And besides all this, the convenience of carrying a 16 GB stick or an 80GB pod just cant be beat. Go for a lomg drive and even a 7 CD player will be inconvenient.
Old 4th April 2009, 17:39   #262
Senior - BHPian

Jazz looks astounding...the jelly bean capsule body is surely aerodynamic
Old 4th April 2009, 18:12   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course I should not generalise. But if you look at my sentence, I am just raising a question for thought and not traying to make a absolute statement.

Anyway I am happy with MP3 quality in a car where even if I am not able to distinguish between upper 'Sa' and lower 'Sa' from the Tanpura at the background, I am not too bothered and the mind just follows the notes (even when the ouside noise creeps in).

Out of topic, but to my knowledge if one chooses a lossless format, it just eliminates signals which are outside human audible range and thus reduces the file size without taking away details from the 'useful range'. So it could be possible to retain the CD quality. Again, this just thinking aloud and not trying to prove a point.

Last edited by Guna : 4th April 2009 at 18:17.
Old 4th April 2009, 19:24   #264
BHPian

the way i see it. i can guess the specs.

what you will not get -- no 16'' alloys-- no fog lamps--forget the CD changer-- no climate control.--1.5 ltr engine. which is put in the city. it should have been in the jazz. but US doesnt have a city. they have the fitt soo!

ok what you will get is stupid wheel caps. thin tyres. beige interiors(crazy indians) 1.2 ltrs 80-90 bhp engine. just guessin here. maybe as safety options have been kept standard you could get the airbag and abs as std. they want to show how they care about safety unlike others. lolz

i am honestly expecting it to be priced to be around 6-7.5 lacs. because of the airbags and abs std. for maintaining profit margins they dont give out goodies. they retain market share because of there honda worshipers. lolz.

all in all if they launch the honda jazz sport with 1.5 ltr engine and all the goods like alloys and auto ac. and other goodies. i would be ready to pay 7 lacs, it is a good spacious car. but it should be correctly priced.
Old 4th April 2009, 19:31   #265
BHPian

I think its only a matter of time by when these USB based players will be able to play lossless music including flac. CD's are in any case going to be obsolete soon, mainly due to its unwieldiness, delicate nature and far less capacity. We are definitely moving into a chip-based solid state storage era. I have seen quite a few music albums in US getting released in USB sticks/SD cards as well, with interestingly designed dongles.
Old 4th April 2009, 19:35   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Can someone give us the prices of the City and Jazz in Dubai? Honda CEO already said that in Thailand the Jazz is more expensive then the City so wondering if it's the same in Dubai. I really don't know how they are going to price the Jazz here if that's the case.
In order to lower the price the following will help
Unique for India 1.2 liter engine
base model completely stripped of ABS, airbags, alloys etc which you find on all gen3 citys
even then, I expect it come in at 5-10% higher than an equivalent i-20
Hyundai and Skoda just did them a huge favour and proved that a premium hatch will work
Old 4th April 2009, 19:52   #267
BHPian

In the Dubai Jazz, the placement of A/c knobs looks like an afterthought to me! Or is it the new "contemporary design"? Also its surprising that in a "hot market" like Dubai, both ANHC and Jazz dont sport automatic climate control. No fogs seen in Jazz either. Is that an automatic? Cannot make out from the pics.

They will need to depend solely on their brand value to sell it in India considering that it seems to be 'under-spec'ed compared to i20 Asta here. Pricing may not be very different, if not a bit more than i20. The driving force for Jazz in India will be the big 'H' factor and possibly an automatic option.
Old 4th April 2009, 22:04   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I think its only a matter of time by when these USB based players will be able to play lossless music including flac. CD's are in any case going to be obsolete soon, mainly due to its unwieldiness, delicate nature and far less capacity. We are definitely moving into a chip-based solid state storage era. I have seen quite a few music albums in US getting released in USB sticks/SD cards as well, with interestingly designed dongles.
right! CD/DVD/BD - whatever be the type, is now an obsolete technology of holding digital data. solid state is the way for future. I don't think the film and industry would do away with BDs anytime soon due to digital rights and control.

HDDs are already on the verge of being replaced by solid state devices. The prices have to come down and soon everyone will be having a solid state HDD as the primary HDD.

havent seen many mp3 players who are flac capable. i believe ipod can do it with a software tweak.
Old 4th April 2009, 22:34   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Fact remains an mp3 ripped at 192kbps or AAC most people (bar audiophiles) wont be able to make much of a difference between the CD & mp3 in car systems. Especially so since most stock speakers have lousy frequency response and there would a lot of ambient noise in the car compared to a quiet environment..
True, users like me wont be able to make out if the source of a music is MP3 or a CD and my car is not exactly a marvel in acoustics.
Old 4th April 2009, 22:57   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
In order to lower the price the following will help
Unique for India 1.2 liter engine
base model completely stripped of ABS, airbags, alloys etc which you find on all gen3 citys
even then, I expect it come in at 5-10% higher than an equivalent i-20
Hyundai and Skoda just did them a huge favour and proved that a premium hatch will work
I dont think that the base model will be stripped of ABS and Airbags , these will come standard across all the variants.
Hope they say something about the auto-tran jazz during launch of 1.2 manual.

Is 1.2i-vtec jazz withe auto-tran still a possibility ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks