Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2006, 23:10   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph
@ adarsh76

here is a true hyundai fan speaking. anyways i dont agree with you on ride comformt , or should I say drive comfort which is better in the swift. anyways this is a personal opinion so one should dirve it and decide it.

and dont talk about copying when supporting hyundai so much dude, we all know the orginality of hyundai designs.
I'm a fan of hyundai due to one major reason thats the "VFM". Well not only hyundai every car is somewhat a copy or design of the other car. But then why are many boasting the design as futuristic and unique? Hyundai I guess never said about uniqueness.

But Hyundai copies and makes it better looking. The rear design of Sonata is an example. Inspired from Accord but made better.
Old 6th August 2006, 10:04   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
May I get a little philosophical here, eflanker?
"If you dont like it, too bad, dont buy it. No one is forcing you."
While growing up in Bombay, through the 1960s, I've heard unscrupulous traders,
use that phrase, over and over and over,
to request knowledgeable customers to hush up the truth,
whilst soliciting and continuing to bait unwitting unaware customers, sometimes even with false advertising.

I invite and welcome your views. Maybe I will change my impression.
I agree with your views, as long as we're talking about technical aspects of a car; the aerodynamics, performance,ride quality, build quality, interiors, fuel efficiency,space,FTD factor, VFM factor etc.

However, looks are inherently subjective; and a radically styled car like the Swift inevitably evokes mixed reactions. We indians dont seem to mind strange looking cars as long as the *package* is good enough - the old NHC and old-gen Santro come to mind here.

I dont like how the Swift looks; you dont like how it looks; that is OK. There're millions all over the world enjoying their Honda Elements, Fiat Pandas, Mini Coopers and other such contraptions. Let's not pass judgement on the intelligence of thousands of others who have different tastes.

Last edited by ballkey : 6th August 2006 at 10:07.
Old 6th August 2006, 10:55   #183
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
...looks are inherently subjective; and a radically styled car like the Swift inevitably evokes mixed reactions...

...and other such contraptions. Let's not pass judgement on the intelligence of thousands of others who have different tastes.
Very well put, ballkey!
No contest at all.
Ram
Old 6th August 2006, 14:56   #184
BHPian

Quote:
If there is a car in India which deserved all the hype its gotta be only Palio.
Spot on Namit. This line sums up that the Swift is a good car but had there been the Palio i am sure it would have won the Car of the year rather then the Swift (If both were competiting together)

Also the hype of the Palio went all the way for more then a year or so wheras the hype of the Swift has died down tremendously.
Old 15th August 2006, 07:32   #185
Senior - BHPian

Its very unfortunate to award swift as car of the year which is slowly becoming disappointment of the year, I can see many swift on sale in Bangalore except few selling since they reloacte, but most of the people who sell mainly becauce they are disappointed by swift.

I own swift too vxi crystal gold, my vehicle has issues from the day 1. I have explained my problems in other thread and BIMAL auto agency is worst ever dealers we can see in Bangalore.

I am very much disapointed about SWIFT :(
Old 15th August 2006, 09:18   #186
BHPian

People were talking about Esteem, Baleno and then about Zen and then about Alto and then Wagon R and now the Swift, (Versa ignored ). Everytime some remark or the other was passed and time and again, the people who passed those remarks bought one of the vehicles themselves and each model has sold good numbers over the years. I see the same for Swift, though IMO Swift is the best of the lot. Its time this thread was closed as its a waste of disk space.

I am one proud owner of the Maruti Suzuki Swift.
Old 15th August 2006, 14:03   #187
mxx
BHPian

I think swift is a great product for the price which it sells. Specially the zxi which has great features with respect to the price.
I agree that swift is not a perfect car. But, currently if you need a car which is near to perfect you need to pay above 15 lakhs.
Maruti makes VFM cars, not great cars, and swift is the best VFM.

If a product is not as good as the hype, its sales is bound to fall. But the swift sales has not fallen but has been consistant and even increased. This itself speaks for itself.

In the first post swift was compared to getz.
Swift is much more sportier than getz and overall a much better vehicle.
See how the Getz sales has fallen drastically ever since the swift was introduced.
Old 20th August 2006, 12:24   #188
BHPian

Guys,
If u compare Swift and any other Indian made car of same segment, I would say Swift is the best in India.

About Engine and performance: I think Im the most eligible person to comment about this because me and my friend togeter driven it from delhi to Trivandrum and back. On return we drove it non-stop(Stopped 3 places for refuelling- Engine ON) from Goa to Delhi in 36 hours. I never faced a problem regarding power steering or handling. ABS really works and worth the money u paying extra for it. We have touched 175kmh on speedo at so many places. Constantly driven at 170 for more than 50 km on Baroda express highway(See the snap on my profile taken by my friend at Baroda). The engine is superb and we got G-III rubber which gives the perfect grip at 170. I love her handling at hairpins... she rocks....

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 20th August 2006 at 12:29.
Old 20th August 2006, 13:00   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp421b
Also the hype of the Palio went all the way for more then a year or so wheras the hype of the Swift has died down tremendously.
No arguement about Palio, I accept it as a fantastic car. But who said Swift's hype is died? Swift is everywhere, everyone seems to buy one. Its selling like hot-cakes. Sales are tripple to the competition (Source: ACI, August 06). I think, Swift deserves all this hype, yes there are some issues, but we all know, nothing is perfect.
Old 20th August 2006, 13:09   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper
Guys,
If u compare Swift and any other Indian made car of same segment, I would say Swift is the best in India.

About Engine and performance: I think Im the most eligible person to comment about this because me and my friend togeter driven it from delhi to Trivandrum and back. On return we drove it non-stop(Stopped 3 places for refuelling- Engine ON) from Goa to Delhi in 36 hours. I never faced a problem regarding power steering or handling. ABS really works and worth the money u paying extra for it. We have touched 175kmh on speedo at so many places. Constantly driven at 170 for more than 50 km on Baroda express highway(See the snap on my profile taken by my friend at Baroda). The engine is superb and we got G-III rubber which gives the perfect grip at 170. I love her handling at hairpins... she rocks....
Wow Delhi to Trivandrum! and back! Do start a new thread about this - complete with pics. So much for the theory that Swift is not a highway car!
Old 20th August 2006, 14:05   #191
Senior - BHPian

Agree with hotchilly there. The Swift is definitely a capable car. My Mumbai-Kerala non-stop trip is proof.

@ballkey: Check this out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ur-solo-2.html

As for the hype, well. One can only call a product overhyped if it hasn't met the demands/expectations of the public, both features and saleswise. The Swift disappoints in neither area. If the product was overhyped, the demand should have died down by now. The sales barometer say otherwise. For every dissatisfied customer, there are 5 satisfied ones. It's just how you perceive it. The fact of the matter is, Swift has been selling close to 4500-5000 units every month since it's inception. Last month, 4556 units were sold. And it's been over a year since it's launch. Almost all flaws of the Swift have come out by now. Still....
Old 20th August 2006, 14:19   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
No arguement about Palio, I accept it as a fantastic car. But who said Swift's hype is died? Swift is everywhere, everyone seems to buy one. Its selling like hot-cakes. Sales are tripple to the competition (Source: ACI, August 06). I think, Swift deserves all this hype, yes there are some issues, but we all know, nothing is perfect.
The thing even after 5 years of its launch, neither swift or for that matter any hatchback including the new Chevvy SRV can't outhandle or outperform a Palio 1.6! Thats how good the Palio really is.... I pity FIAT for spoiling such a great product.

Swift Overhyped: Yes and No... Yes coz, Performance and Styling are a mismatch and No, coz it offers more than the current competition.

PS. In formula red, Palio still is the most stunning looking hatch in the country. Waiting for the Grande Punto Multijet Diesel. I hope FIAT dont play around with bumpers to get excise duty concession, its looks awesome and i wont mind paying 8% xtra for Maserati Inspired front!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 20th August 2006 at 14:24.
Old 21st August 2006, 12:01   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
The thing even after 5 years of its launch, neither swift or for that matter any hatchback including the new Chevvy SRV can't outhandle or outperform a Palio 1.6! Thats how good the Palio really is.... I pity FIAT for spoiling such a great product.
I was in no mood of dragging Palio in here. I know this very well that saying a word against Palio will raise eyebrows of almost every TBHPian but I can't help it. Palio can outhandle the competition, granted! But can outperform all! Look at the following comparisons.

Palio 1.2 EL PS vs Swift VXi vs Palio 1.6 Sport

Palio 1.2 which has a similar engine as Swift's is nowhere close to it in performance. And Palio 1.6 which has a far bigger engine is just a bit ahead of Swift. What will happen if Suzuki launches Swift's Sport version i.e. 1.6L 125bhp power-machine in India?

Palio D 1.9 EL PS vs Tata Indica V2 Turbo DLG

Again, as we all know Indica Turbo's 1.4L engine can easily outrun Palio's 1.9L engine.

Thus I don't think Palio is still the best performer hatch in India. Overall, as a car its one of the best though.

Quote:
Swift Overhyped: Yes and No... Yes coz, Performance and Styling are a mismatch and No, coz it offers more than the current competition.
I don't think, there is any problem with performance and styling of Swift. Performance is apparent and styling is proven, Swift is hot!
Old 21st August 2006, 14:47   #194
Senior - BHPian

the very fact that this thread has attracted this many opinions proves that the Swift is a terrific car. it has the esteem engine. how else could it be ??? of course, some people would say that it looks like a fat lady from behind. that is their opinion. who cares #??

happy swifting guys ?
Old 21st August 2006, 17:06   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
IMHO: I didnt like the rear looks of Swift. Back seat occupants will find it difficult to be seated there for long time.
I hear the engine is good. Two of my colleagues went to book a swift and decided to buy Ikon flair. (Flair on road price 5.25L!!!)
Still i would say Swift looks fresh and do well in sales at least until more super minis come in.
I feel that Ikon scores only with the boot space. I drive both the Swift 1.3 Vxi and the Ikon 1.3 Flair. Ikon 1.3 is sluggish and underpowered. Besides, the driver position in Swift is a boon compared to an Ikon. I am 5'8". Still, the Ikon steering wheel hits my thighs whereas Swift provided me a commanding driver position

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks