Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2006, 21:32   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp421b
I have read and heard many Swift owners complain of rattling from the body. Is this true. It is really dissapointing to know that such a nice car but such a problem. Only if Maruti fix this then the Swift will be by far the best, but hey it already is, so whos complaning.
i have been driving past couple of months and there was no such problem...

i guess for the price you pay...swift is a great car...and i personally like it very much....dont care about the hype...its nothing..its all within you ...do you like it or not...? thats all i guess....
Old 5th August 2006, 00:17   #167
Ram
Senior - BHPian

A question of aesthetics

This forum tolerates honest, albeit controversial (therefore unpalatable?) opinion, so here's mine.

I guess:
1) some people will fawn over every newfangled set of wheels, mindless of how ugly it looks.

2) In His infinite wisdom, God disbursed discernment of classical proportion and aesthetics, quite sparingly.

3) even if my favorite brand, DaimlerChrysler (whom I respect a long time) was in the unenviable predicament of having to push this inverted bathtub to customers, I wouldn't be swayed.

Ram
Old 5th August 2006, 10:04   #168
BHPian

Swift doesnt have good space inside. i dont find the car comfortable to sit either front or back.
Old 5th August 2006, 11:12   #169
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Yep too much hype !

1. Very claustrophobic interiors esp. at the back
2. Difficult to reverse rear window too small and butt to high.
3. Shoddy plastics
4. Engine didn't excite.
Old 5th August 2006, 11:31   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
2) In His infinite wisdom, God disbursed discernment of classical proportion and aesthetics, quite sparingly.

Ram
That quote is uncalled for; it's fine to express an opinion, but those words sound condescending & arrogant.

Coming back ontopic, I didn't like the Swift's looks though I own one. But it's the safest bet for a driver's car, this side of 5 lakhs. Fiat zealots can bite me.:P
Old 5th August 2006, 12:03   #171
BHPian

I too didnot find the seats of the Swift as comfortable as the Palio. They have really compromised on the quality of materials.

Quote:
Fiat zealots can bite me.:P
You bet.
Old 5th August 2006, 12:21   #172
BANNED

Hi,

I agree with most of the things said by namit, even thou i own a swift.

But namit for the price of swift we can't expect goodies given my Toyota, Honda or german cars.

GM ,Toyota & honda postponed their version of small car just b'coz they felt swift set new standards in small premium car industry.

This was said by a top honcho from toyoto in all the indian Auto magazines....

Cheerz....
Alex
Old 5th August 2006, 12:49   #173
BHPian

i see a lot of peopl not liking the swift...well i guess its cause of high expectations before the release...but still i guess it makes a great car...and if maruti would launch the 1.6 swift...which is the japanees version..then it would really make a big difference...

swift now enterd the JWRC championship and it did pretty good...they should have launched the swift in 1.3L & 1.6L editions...the 1.6L Swift really would have been a threat(performance wise) to the baleno and vtec....
Old 5th August 2006, 13:42   #174
Senior - BHPian

How do you define a model as successful one. Is Palio and Getz successful models?
Old 5th August 2006, 15:23   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise

How do you define a model as successful one. Is Palio and Getz successful models?
-----------------------------

Hey !!

If there is a car in India which deserved all the hype its gotta be only Palio.

However its another thing that Palio failed after 1.5 years of its launch bcoz of lack of support from FIAT otherwise as a product it deserves much more hype than any other car ever launched in India.

Guys i dont own any FIAT but always wanted to own one but now probably will after watching PUNTO's response when launched in India.

As of now see my footer ..........
Old 5th August 2006, 15:32   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrabbi
Hi,

I agree with most of the things said by namit, even thou i own a swift.

But namit for the price of swift we can't expect goodies given my Toyota, Honda or german cars.

GM ,Toyota & honda postponed their version of small car just b'coz they felt swift set new standards in small premium car industry.

This was said by a top honcho from toyoto in all the indian Auto magazines....

Cheerz....
Alex
-------------------------------------------------------

Hi Alex !!

Yes i agree the pricing is gud and considering that its Japanese and apna Maruti stuff and comes with peace of mind.

But just think Palio EL with Power steering and AC at 3.80 on road Delhi in 2001 and a car which looks small but provides better performance and comfort than your Esteem and Accent 1.5.

BTW guys we tend to go for Italian Marble and what not Italian stuff but not Italian FIAT bcoz of its company and nothing else.

Thats why i repeat that it deserves all the hype it received even today.
No wonder there is such a strong brand recollection of FIAT but at the same time some customers have poor service memories also with FIAT.
Old 5th August 2006, 17:14   #177
Ram
Senior - BHPian

More about the ugly Swift

Hype is a short-form of hyperbole and the Swift has had more than its share! Isn't that what hype is all about?

When I see the Maruti Swift on the road today, it reminds me of two ugly ducklings...

Back in 1962, when I was a four-year old, kids in Bombay had these pedal-powered four-wheelers made of painted sheet metal.
The wheels were dished steel discs painted white, with chrome hubcaps and solid-rubber tires.
They turned on greased sliding bearings with a cotter pin to keep them in place. More expensive models had roller bearings.

Two of the possibilities in the market were as shown below.

Of course, I went for the red Jeepster with the webbed steering wheel.

Even back then, I wondered what kind of kid would actually prefer the other "ugly-duckling", as I called it back then, with the spinning aluminum-foil pinwheel.

When I see the Maruti Swift on the road today, it reminds me of two ugly ducklings, the one in my sketch above and the Chrysler Airflow, below. I guess, some things and some people never change.

Ram

Old 5th August 2006, 17:29   #178
BHPian

If you dont like it, too bad, dont buy it. No one is forcing you.

BTW there are many cars that are considered ugly by some and cool by others.

Toyotas, Nissan,VW, for example. Yes, they are all cool cars and they sell - because people like them

Last edited by eflanker : 5th August 2006 at 17:37.
Old 5th August 2006, 18:01   #179
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflanker
If you dont like it, too bad, dont buy it. No one is forcing you.
May I get a little philosophical here, eflanker?
"If you dont like it, too bad, dont buy it. No one is forcing you."
While growing up in Bombay, through the 1960s, I've heard unscrupulous traders,
use that phrase, over and over and over,
to request knowledgeable customers to hush up the truth,
whilst soliciting and continuing to bait unwitting unaware customers, sometimes even with false advertising.

Don't we dream of another environment -- an honest one where savvy consumers, educate the others and contribute to building an aware marketplace where commercial deceit has no place?

I invite and welcome your views. Maybe I will change my impression.

Last edited by Ram : 5th August 2006 at 18:06.
Old 5th August 2006, 22:28   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit
-----------------------------

Hey !!

If there is a car in India which deserved all the hype its gotta be only Palio.

However its another thing that Palio failed after 1.5 years of its launch bcoz of lack of support from FIAT otherwise as a product it deserves much more hype than any other car ever launched in India.

Guys i dont own any FIAT but always wanted to own one but now probably will after watching PUNTO's response when launched in India.

As of now see my footer ..........
Fiat deserved all the hypes, but its a failure model. Its has not reached people due to some lacking.

To fit in people mind there needs to be equal balance among in all things. Not only in performance, in terms of pricing, performance, FE, After sale support, maintenance cost & manf reputation. There might be give and take in certain areas. Its not easy to get a balanced act in all the items mentioned. HATS off to manf who had did those. And definitely SWIFT is among one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks