Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2005, 11:32   #31

in navi mumbai also i am noticing many Getz now days mostly red in colour - may be because delivery of swift is taking time
Old 8th July 2005, 11:42   #32
BHPian

I think its ok for swift to get hype..it looks quite interesting as compared to the santros,zens,indicas, getz etc
and the other small hatchbacks.. they made something diff
Old 8th July 2005, 12:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekag
in navi mumbai also i am noticing many Getz now days mostly red in colour - may be because delivery of swift is taking time
Now all the getz or swift that were running in roads get caught in our eyes. If you see one, Check the registration number to find out whether it has been done in the recent months.

None of the Honda City will escape from my eyes when I was searching for one, but now no. Its our mindset.
Old 8th July 2005, 12:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Although I was impressed with the pictures, now that I am seeing Swifts on the roads and parked areas, I am not that impressed about the looks. Especially, I don't like the front and side views.
Its the other way around for me. I never liked the Swift in pictures and even on my first look. But the more I see I was comfortable with the looks ( Iam not impressed with looks). I love the front portion of the car than the rear view. For me nothing beats OHC in its looks and as you said it's very subjective
Old 8th July 2005, 12:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

I feel the car is a big letdown. 15 yr old engine, no cool in-dash stereo like abroad, and a fat rear end so ugly, it makes a Baleno looks positively beautiful.
Old 8th July 2005, 12:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its our mindset
Exactly. The other day, Kokaine was telling me that he's begining to see a lot of Vtecs in Bangalore and i was like "How can that be? The Vtec count has remained the same for the past 2 years".

Sometimes, you could walk past a car and not notice it, if you're not thinking about it.

Shan2nu
Old 8th July 2005, 13:14   #37
BHPian

Rear looks ugly indeed. Rear seat passengers gonna suffer or jump out of the car!
Old 8th July 2005, 14:29   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift is a good car no doubt.......but i think its a bit over hyped. The Getz imo is a superior car when it comes to looks and cabin space, but when you compare the Swift to the Santro it definatly kills it.
Old 8th July 2005, 14:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
but if Swift comes with such specs then that means increased cost, less FE which means
less sales, low market share = not maruti target
Maruti does not even think of placing it optionally. like the ikcon for Ex 1.3 and 1.5, then why not swift.. 1.3 and 1.5.
Old 8th July 2005, 14:56   #40
BHPian

sorry 4 mistahe i meant 1.3 and 1.6 for ikon
Old 8th July 2005, 15:13   #41
BHPian

is it over-hyped ?
to me, most definitely.

have to agree with Samurai and Steeroid here.

and for me the rear seat was a absolute let-down. a bench is just not on, boss.

also i think maruti had a great chance to bring in a true world-car with the SWIFT and they bungled it with downgraded specs (engine) for India. Its like a beautiful woman who you discover has had a poor implant job done once you get down to brass-tacks. its not like they had to bring in a V-12 engine or something. it was just a 1.5 engine. but no, they had to continue beating an almost dead horse. Also for me, a major put off is, that it shares its powerplant with something like the VERSA. That says a lot.

Form should always follow function and never the other way round, at least for me. I don't think that is the case with the SWIFT, at least at the moment in its present avatar.

of course, people are too besotted with the fresh new styling at the moment. but the analysis and level-headed thinking will start in a while and like Steeroid said, then we will know if its a success or not.

Last edited by hell_rider : 8th July 2005 at 15:16.
Old 8th July 2005, 15:27   #42
BHPian

In a away comparing santro with swift is ok when it can only accomodate 4 people!! Swift could have been a bigger hatch! The styling seriously compromises the space. It looks big and not bigger inside. Whereas other manufacturers are designing ar that doesnt look big but really bigger in space inside!
against trend?
Old 8th July 2005, 15:29   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
of course, people are too besotted with the fresh new styling at the moment. but the analysis and level-headed thinking will start in a while and like Steeroid said, then we will know if its a success or not.
I don't think so. The average-joe Indian does not think so much before buying a car. This exercise is restricted to only those who are really well versed in what to look out for in a car. Nobody is going to get measuring tape and find out distances between interior thingies and go "Hmm, thats about 1.25 mm off. I'm not buying".

Most of the neo-richies have the need to flaunt their neo-cash. Thats what the car is - a flashy "good-enough" reason for people to whip out their cheque-books and sign on the dotted line.

Also, its the way Maruti has played with the Indian mindset. It has been manufacturing "okay" cars (as opposed to "good") and backing them up with very good A.S.S. Look at the way Zen has captured market share. Its a Maruti, and people trust their money with Maruti. Its going to be the same "keeping-up-with-the-Joneses" story with the Swift. Getz will not be able to out-sell the Swift. Not by a long way.
Old 8th July 2005, 15:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
Nobody is going to get measuring tape and find out distances between interior thingies and go "Hmm, thats about 1.25 mm off. I'm not buying".
But wont they generally drive or sit inside and see if that is a comfortable seat or not.
People dont order cars from home.
Old 8th July 2005, 15:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
But wont they generally drive or sit inside and see if that is a comfortable seat or not.
People dont order cars from home.
Not to the extent that connoisseurs might. There's a seat, my in-laws can manage to sit on it. Hmm, how much did you say its for?

And its a very good car to drive! Nobody's denying that ... Its a VFM package. People like VFM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks