Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2009, 22:29   #16
BHPian

Either ways, past experiences with new launches of TATA cars have shown thats its best to buy a TATA car , after a year of launch. When they have perfected the car. I always feel, TATA launch a car, experiment on the people. Its always the first lot buyers affected.

I assume, like other diesel cars, this would also be high on maintenance and may not be a wise decision to own unless a lot of miles are clocked. So, the nano would have to do a lot of highway/expressway miles? Is the car sturdy enough for that ?

Any new car, which reduces the buying/maintenance/running costs for a customer is aways welcome. I have always dreamed of owning a diesel car. If it fits my budget, I will buy it, ofcourse only a year after its launch
Old 20th December 2009, 22:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

It is always there with any new model, launched by any company. At least you can wait and see for 4 to 5 months. Then we will get the reviews and report and we can decide to buy or not.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:55   #18
BHPian

I met a nano road test guy at roadside dhaba, no signs of nano diesel as of now as per him.My guess is 6 months min time to launch after road tests starts.
Old 21st December 2009, 14:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
I met a nano road test guy at roadside dhaba, no signs of nano diesel as of now as per him.My guess is 6 months min time to launch after road tests starts.
Not much people know this. Its because its being developed in Germany !
Old 21st December 2009, 15:14   #20
BHPian

Its @ generation ..not pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
There seems to misunderstanding, the 1.1 is nomenclature for the fuel pump not for the engine size. Based on discussion with the BOSCH person the engine will be 600 CC only, the CRS 1.1 is for the type of the fuel pump (one plunger pump),which is way simpler compared to other CRDIs,while the fuel pressures are likely to be 1400 bar compared to higher fuel pressures in other systems.

Mates,

1.1...Its @ generation of CRDI system ( mainly injectors) ..not pump

There are 3 known generations today

1st most basic & cheap .. but surely worthwhile for Nano due to lower costs.

2nd with electromagnetic controlled injectors

3rd with piezo electric controlled injectors ( most advanced with very accurate injection timing)

How do I know .. keep guessing
Old 21st December 2009, 15:27   #21
BHPian

They can even Fit a 500cc Diesel Bullet Engine to make Nano a diesel This is getting even nicer.
Old 21st December 2009, 16:34   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
They can even Fit a 500cc Diesel Bullet Engine to make Nano a diesel This is getting even nicer.
Why would they do that? They are developing a modern CRDi engine being discussed here then why would they fit an engine as good as the ones in commercial use Autorickshaws.
Old 21st December 2009, 16:39   #23
BHPian

@ Anshuman : Dear, I said it in a joking manner seeing the size of diesel engines redcuing in India day by day!!!
Old 23rd December 2009, 01:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
I assume, like other diesel cars, this would also be high on maintenance and may not be a wise decision to own unless a lot of miles are clocked. So, the nano would have to do a lot of highway/expressway miles? Is the car sturdy enough for that ?
You do have a lot of catching up to do both in theory and practice with modern diesels.They are no longer maintenance intensive.I had an Indica turbo diesel which I recently sold.It performed like a jewel to the last day and no maintenance hassles
at all.I never felt the service or repairs make a dent in my pocket in the 31/2 years I owned it.I am still wondering why I sold it sometimes.It had done 45000 km without any issues whatsoever. Tata motors is a much more developed company than it used to be when developing the 1st gen Indica.I don't think you even need to wait for a year before making an investment.The nano is a gem - no doubt about it.
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:33   #25
BHPian

+1 rpmx1000

Our National 1.2 litre Multijet diesel engine sold by Fiat has actually changed an era of expensive diesel. these engines are silent efficient & really as easy to maintain as Petrol.

Ask any Swift or Indica Vista Quadra jet owner.
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:15   #26
BHPian

All dicussions done, If nano comes with a 1 odd litre CRDi engine, it would sell even more. Cant imagine what this will do the already congested roads in our country. But a nice move from Tata.
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:29   #27
BHPian

yup imagine a crdi nano europa with a petes box you could rule the city roads
Old 4th January 2010, 17:50   #28
BHPian

A news item confirming the NANO diesel in rediff is reproduced here;

Bosch develops diesel engine for Nano: Rediff.com Business

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
German auto component major Bosch said on Monday it developed a special diesel engine in partnership with Tata Motors [ Get Quote ], the makers of the Rs 1-lakh car Nano.

"We have developed the 1.1-common-rail-system for the Tata Nano [ Images ] diesel (version). The system will also be produced locally," Bosch Automotive Group chairman Bernd Bohr told reporters in New Delhi [ Images ] on Monday.

He said the company has partnered the Tata Nano project for the front and rear drum-brakes, the starter, the alternator and fuel injection system, which could help reduce the number of components required in the world's cheapest car commercially launched last March by the country's largest automobile maker.

"The reduced number of components required for both these systems makes it possible to keep costs low," he said, adding, "thanks to the efforts of our international team of engineers, we have developed a broad portfolio of systems and components for the Nano."

The company said despite the recession in global markets, it has invested over Euro 3 billion (Rs 20,000 crore) in 2009 particularly in developing technologies for the low- priced vehicles to improve fuel efficiency.

Bohr said the growth of Indian automobile industry would be primarily be driven by the diesel engines.

"The diesel engine is set to see strong growth in Asia's emerging markets, and will be particularly in demand in India [ Images ]," he added.
---------------------------------------------------
Old 16th February 2010, 13:35   #29
BHPian

Nano Diesel - Scoop

While i was on my way to Ganpatipule, I saw camouflaged Tata Aria on the road side dhaba. We were anyway planning the breakfast stop near by, so we stopped at the same place. I got out of the car and saw that 3 more cars joining the covered Aria. And arived the Nano, Safari and the Manza. As the Nano came close & parked right in front of me, i could notice the engine sounding different.

Immediately clicked the pic, all the four drivers came and stopped me from taking the pic. Then some nice talk with them, but no more pics. I asked them if Nano is diesel, long silence, they started looking at each other but no answer. Then goes my next question, Is the safari with different engine? what are you testing? again same reaction, no answer. They continued to enjoy their Wada Pav and Missal Pav.

Couldnt make out, what was there in Safari and Manza. But my doubt about Nano diesel confirmed when they left, Nano threw a good amount of black smoke, and engine clutter assured me it was diesel for sure.

By the way Aria was having all black interiors. Aria looks huge.
Attached Thumbnails
Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now-nano-diesel.jpg  

Old 16th February 2010, 13:46   #30
BHPian

TATA had plans of releasing a Diesel Nano. I remember them saying the mileage would be around 23kmpl. Not sure though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks