Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 10:10   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
A very strong competation for M&M bunny teeth and this takes away the prize
it looks more like the grinning Pug in MIB II! maybe inspired by the Buick grille?

seriously, why do we need a face-lifted Safari which, btw, looks even more horrible that the original (from what we've seen so far)!? can't we do that on our own (or outsource it to DC)!!
Old 5th March 2011, 12:04   #212
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Ok folks here is the story. Johny the designer at M&M lost his job after Xylo was launched and then he was fighting depression by spending nights on a whiskey boat. He made friends with Johny Sr. who heads Quality at TML. Naturally they became friends and Johny Sr. offered the other a job to showcase creativity (which never bloomed at M&M) and offered a change in scenery. Now we have two Johnies who have given us the same Safari (hopefully not with same quality), with a rendition of now-(in)famous Walrus tooth. Shaky hands, and splashed chrome all over.

WoW, I just love our Indian auto industry. First they continue to live off past glory for about 15 years just because of a timeless design, which they kill on the 15th year and change some parts like a grill, which have nothing to do with THE CAR but it kills the design in seconds. Only because they just take the forgiving public, for granted, once again.

Ridiculous is the word. Disgusting is another. What a bad day.
pls don't take any personnel offense but I think these are too strong comments for a product which nobody has seen in flesh so far . I had say pls refrain from doing so especially when all we have is a poor photo shopped image published in a magazine.

let us wait for the new Safari to be launched in market and than comment on design part instead . As for comparing with XYLO goes , they both are diff products catering to diff set of people / segments. head up to NCR and you will see XYLO's fast replacing tavera / Sumo in Taxi operator's fleet.
Old 5th March 2011, 17:33   #213
Senior - BHPian

Yes. The most recent pic was from Autobild, and i personally find their renderings to be of bad taste and execution.

The new Safaris interior, I mean the interim facelifted Safari should definitely be better than the current one, which I found a bit boring. As for the entirely new one, we would have to wait till 2012 or 2013 to know the results. But that would be entirely different externally as well

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 5th March 2011 at 17:34.
Old 5th March 2011, 20:55   #214
BHPian

Spied Again - Tata Safari Merlin | Indian Autos blog another spotting story. The looks do not look bad. the dual exhaust pipes do suggest more aggressive styling.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:39   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
As for comparing with XYLO goes , they both are diff products catering to diff set of people / segments. head up to NCR and you will see XYLO's fast replacing tavera / Sumo in Taxi operator's fleet.
Exactly.
Here in Maharashtra also we see do find many XYLOs as Taxi. May be its due to its cheaper price tag for a 7 seater vehicle.
Old 25th March 2011, 23:07   #216
BHPian

Note from Support: Please turn Off Caps Lock and repost.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:58   #217
BHPian

Q1 2011 is gone and mid April approaching soon. No concrete news yet?
Come on TATA please make this quick.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:24   #218
BHPian

In the various talks I've had with the sales rep. at various TML showrooms, the thing that was common regarding the tentative launch was; not before Diwali, if this year at all!

I too am keeping my fingers crossed that the launch happens a lot before that; ideally (for me) in April end - May beginning. But the words of the sales reps are very disheartening. I guess TML is trying to dispose off as much of the current Safari's lying in the stock before they launch Merlin. Just a guess...
Old 12th April 2011, 15:08   #219
sarcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I guess TML is trying to dispose off as much of the current Safari's lying in the stock before they launch Merlin.
TML's pricing and product placement moves have been interesting lately. The price of Safari has increased across the board, starting April. For instance, the GX has risen by 25-30K, without any value add for the customer. Dealer reps maintain that they are not seeing any incremental margin, everything goes to TML.

I have heard of prices being slashed to clear stock, but this one makes me think that TML wants to milk the Safari for a bit longer. (The last Safari refresh was in Oct 2010)

There is not much difference between the top-end 4x4 Safari and the low-end 4x4 Aria (about 60K). It will be interesting to watch what the price point and feature-set placing for the Merlin will be.

Old 12th April 2011, 17:45   #220
BHPian

I hate the styling
Dont like the way the A-pillar meets the roof.
Also the grille-headlamp merge.
Old 12th April 2011, 18:55   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
I have heard of prices being slashed to clear stock, but this one makes me think that TML wants to milk the Safari for a bit longer. (The last Safari refresh was in Oct 2010)
While you mentioned a bunch of information, you also mentioned, there was a refresh on Oct 2010 !!!! What was it all about ?

As far as I know, there was only one refresh in 2010 that came on Jan 2010 and I have the one of Jan 2010 VX 4X4 variant

Prem.
Old 13th April 2011, 01:29   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
While you mentioned a bunch of information, you also mentioned, there was a refresh on Oct 2010 !!!! What was it all about ?

As far as I know, there was only one refresh in 2010 that came on Jan 2010 and I have the one of Jan 2010 VX 4X4 variant
You are right, the only refresh that came out in 2010 was in Jan 2010. Can be easily identified by beige interiors on Lx & Ex and Phantom Grey interiors on Gx & Vx. Actually the Lx refreshed version went to production only in Apr 2010 when the emission levels for all the versions were upgraded to BS4. And the refreshed Ex version hardly has noticeable changes except for the centre console. Major changes were in Gx & Vx interiors.

Gosh!! this refreshed some treasured memories.
Old 13th April 2011, 07:00   #223
BHPian

All right folks, I dont know if I have ever shared this here or not and I dont see others did too.
The Merlin too does NOT come with front facing 3rd row seats. Its the same 5 adults + 2 kids [jump] seats like the current one.

Prem.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:32   #224
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Prem, I did wonder how they were going to package a 3rd row in there!! In a way its good, or this will be a possible candidate to end up in the taxi ranks.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:59   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
There is not much difference between the top-end 4x4 Safari and the low-end 4x4 Aria (about 60K).
This was a reason I considered checking out Aria Pleasure viz-a-viz Safari VX 4x4 and now I understand why the sales rep was after me to consider Aria. But still, the look, on-road presence & off roading capabilities of Safari are better than that of Aria IMHO.

But the real shocker was on being told that I should go for the current gen. Safari only as Merlin is gonna be a ugly looking!

Furthermore, the reports (or rumors) that Merlin won't be having some important functional improvement, such as; x2 platform, the Dual mass flywheel, Mark II gearbox are making me apprehensive, big time, for delaying the buy of current gen. Safari. There are just too many shades of grey. A serious question: Is Merlin really worth waiting for?

Please accept my apologies if I may have gone OT folks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks