Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 21:07   #346
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

This wait is painful. I am really looking for a new car and Merlin is in my list, suspense, suspense !!!! I wish tata released it sooner.
Old 19th May 2011, 18:15   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
While booking a Safari for our father today, I asked the sales professional about the new Safari.

SP: "Its called Merlin, sir. It will be above the Safari range and below Aria. Expected around November."
This is pretty similar to the responses I've received. The most optimistic (and pessimistic at the same time) was "Only after Diwali, if at all this year".

BTW, did you ask for any discounts while booking for the reason that a face lifted Safari is to be launched?

When I inquired about any discounts on the current Safari from 3 dealers, all told me that as they've received no info on Merlin's launch from TML, no discounts.
Old 19th May 2011, 18:28   #348
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the previous launches of Safaris, almost all of the newly launched models have been at the year end. I think even Aria was launched the same time.
Old 24th May 2011, 11:34   #349
BHPian

Guys I simply don't understand why TATA is always delaying theire launches.

I was telling My Uncle to wait for Merlin launch since last 6 months and finally out of frustation he has booked the Fortuner yesterday by extending his buget. Earlier we had plans to book Merlin together in May.

Now I heared from sources that TATA is planning to launch scale down version of ARIA in June , so the Safari Launch will be postponde for next six months.

I am in a fix, what to do now, should I wait till Dec or go for something else?

TATA pls launch Merlin first then think of anything else...
Old 24th May 2011, 13:01   #350
Senior - BHPian

It is frustrating, but when I mentioned this before most bhpians retorted that its not an issue if Tata takes time as long as the product is worry free from day one. Guess they are right.

Another recent development is that Tata is contemplating a less loaded 2WD version of the Aria. This should ideally be priced in the 10-12 lac range at the most, perhaps giving the Merlin a sub 10 lac tag so that the two cars dont overlap. We just have to wait and find out!!!
Old 24th May 2011, 14:22   #351
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Another recent development is that Tata is contemplating a less loaded 2WD version of the Aria. This should ideally be priced in the 10-12 lac range at the most, perhaps giving the Merlin a sub 10 lac tag so that the two cars dont overlap. We just have to wait and find out!!!
I think two cars with entirely different audiences Aria 2WD (Family/Glorified Taxi) and a Safari Merlin (4wd SUV) can be priced in the same bracket by Tata. Only thing they'll ensure in that case is that there are some Merlin variants available at a price you can't buy an Aria (sub-11L) and some Aria variants you can buy at a price the Merlin is not available (>14L).

The overlap may not hurt as long as its a Tata vehicle sold at the end of the day.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:23   #352
Senior - BHPian

As per BSM, TML will launch The New Safari & Nano Diesel in 2012. Here is the link to the same:

Tata Motors to launch Nano diesel, new Safari in FY12

IMO, both these vehicles & other ones, viz - Nano variants, Vista refresh, Manza limited edition, New Safari & Aria 2WD, could be launched in AutoExpo12, followed by commencement of sales in few months later.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:09   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
As per BSM, TML will launch The New Safari & Nano Diesel in 2012.
I am sure if TATA delays Safari anything beyond Oct 11, they are gonna to loose 50% of their prospective buyers which are accumlated in last 1 year of waiting for new Safari.

Atleast I can't wait for so long, I am surely gonna to pick any one from Renault SUV, Force SUV or Mahindra Wrold SUV, as all are lined up for this year launch.

TATA don't loose ur majority of buyers by putting the Merlin launch at last.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:22   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
I am sure if TATA delays Safari anything beyond Oct 11, they are gonna to loose 50% of their prospective buyers which are accumlated in last 1 year of waiting for new Safari.

Atleast I can't wait for so long, I am surely gonna to pick any one from Renault SUV, Force SUV or Mahindra Wrold SUV, as all are lined up for this year launch.

TATA don't loose ur majority of buyers by putting the Merlin launch at last.
Crazy4Power, you are really crazy (or rather carzy... my apologies if you feel offended, but this just a friendly banter), getting uneasy over delays in launch of a product.

The Renault Duster won't be launched in 2011 but in 2012, as it is the Koelos that will be launched around the festive launch.
The Mahindra W201 is expected to be in the price range of Aria & not Safari/ Merlin.
& the Force Motors SUV will be launched in the same price range, but, guess its dealer & A.S.S. are difficult to locate.

I would love to know the kind of Money that you would like to spend on the vehicle & the whether you actually want the 4X4 vehicles (SUV), because at present you have another best seller the Scorpio when it comes to SUV's & Innova, considering the price that you could pay for the vehicle.

If price is not that important factor, you can also consider the Aria, Endeavour, Captiva & Fortuner.
Old 1st June 2011, 12:26   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Crazy4Power, you are really crazy (or rather carzy... my apologies if you feel offended, but this just a friendly banter), getting uneasy over delays in launch of a product.

I would love to know the kind of Money that you would like to spend on the vehicle & the whether you actually want the 4X4 vehicles (SUV)
If price is not that important factor, you can also consider the Aria, Endeavour, Captiva & Fortuner.
You are right, I really belong to bunch of crazy offroaders and ralliarts so I definetly need 4X4, the softroaders like Aria, Captiva and others are out of question.

The primary use of the vehicle may not be for offroading as I have two gypsies for that but at the same time I don't want vehicle to become a contraint if I want to explore some offroad track during my long drives with family.

I somehow don't like boxy design of Scorpio, Safari gives you lot of space, comfort & road presence.
My budget is around 10 to 12 lakhs but I don't mind extending it by 2-3 lakhs if I am getting good value for money.

cheers
Old 1st June 2011, 12:38   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
Guys I simply don't understand why TATA is always delaying theire launches.
Was talking to the SA at the TASS last weekend and he mentioned that the top management (read Ratan Tata himself), have strictly instructed that the new Safari when launched should be absolutely trouble free.

Apparently the top bosses at Tata have woken up to customer feedback and consequently no initial niggles and progressive resolutions on those niggles will be tolerated anymore.

This is a welcome attitudinal change IMHO, but given the amount of time and effort it takes to change the general mindset in their QC department, the new truck may take a while to finally hit the market.

The SA indicated a launch sometime in September or October.

Last edited by Kairalee : 1st June 2011 at 12:38. Reason: typo
Old 5th June 2011, 10:59   #357
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone see the new safari dicor ad

its tail-less and shows some desert rally stunts.. Not sure if merlin ad's are now doing rounds ?

please confirm...

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 5th June 2011 at 11:01.
Old 5th June 2011, 11:39   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Downloaded that clip. The headlights & front section are of the current Safari. So it's not the Merlin.
Old 5th June 2011, 11:55   #359
Senior - BHPian

The video look more like the factory guys took off the mounting for the spare wheel. Can still see the nuts and bolts foundation, TATA will surely not sell the MERLIN with the foundation visible, heck, even MAHINDRA covers the door hinges on the BOLERO
Old 5th June 2011, 12:01   #360
BHPian

This is not the new Merlin , it's the old safari with the stepney removed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks