Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:47   #316
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Is there any reason why you guys think that sumo grande is not an off-shoot of xenon?

Here is an excerpt from wiki the wiki page is here - Tata Xenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, there are definite reasons for that and I know things much close than most of fellow BHPians. Therefore I said "gshanky is almost correct. The word is "almsot", rest is for your imagination."

I hope you can read between the lines.
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:10   #317
Senior - BHPian

Its ridiculous to expect an SUV of the Xenon platform to replace the Safari. The Xenon/Grande is based on a reworked Sumo chassis and therefore a more cruder platform with its rear leaf suspension set up etc. I dont think Tata will be making anymore UVs on this chassis/platform which will literally mean taking a step back.

The Safari still has life left in it especially taking into context the Indian market. The Indian Pajero is two decades old. If Tata can refresh the looks and get its quality right the Merlin will become a good product and even better value for money. A comparable rival SUV will still be a good couple of lacs away.

I believe the future of Tata UVs will depend a lot on where JLR decides the all new Defender will be built. If India this platform should be shared by Tata as well to save costs. Of course all this is still some time away.
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:40   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Its ridiculous to expect an SUV of the Xenon platform to replace the Safari.
I think you misunderstood the point. We were talking about Sumo Grande as an UV, sharing same/ similar platform as Xenon. Safari was never mentioned in this context.

Safari Merlin shares platform with ARIA.
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:49   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Its ridiculous to expect an SUV of the Xenon platform to replace the Safari. The Xenon/Grande is based on a reworked Sumo chassis and therefore a more cruder platform with its rear leaf suspension set up etc. I dont think Tata will be making anymore UVs on this chassis/platform which will literally mean taking a step back.

The Safari still has life left in it especially taking into context the Indian market. The Indian Pajero is two decades old. If Tata can refresh the looks and get its quality right the Merlin will become a good product and even better value for money. A comparable rival SUV will still be a good couple of lacs away.

I believe the future of Tata UVs will depend a lot on where JLR decides the all new Defender will be built. If India this platform should be shared by Tata as well to save costs. Of course all this is still some time away.
" There is also talk of Tata sharing the Freelander platform for its own SUVs in the future." (Made-in-India Freelander this month | Autocar India)
Old 3rd May 2011, 02:29   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
" There is also talk of Tata sharing the Freelander platform for its own SUVs in the future." (Made-in-India Freelander this month | Autocar India)
Nope ,please let Tata UVs be BOF proper SUVs than crossovers.
Even their said crossover(Aria) have SUV underpinnings.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:15   #321
BHPian

Just spoke to one of the Tata guys....The back wheel will not be there in Tata Merlin. Old Tata safari willl remain as it is. More features are getting added. Automatic Climate control may be one of those. The headlamps would be similar to Skoda.

Let's see if this is all true.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:18   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Lucky to catch Merlin stopped on highway. Despite strong oppose from driver I could manage two photos of exterior. Saw interior of Merlin. Definitely Leap ahead current gen safari. Interior is slick, does not have huge car feel inside. Lot of Vinyl Textures over dashboard. Few observations like Automatic Climate control was not present and no music system. I could not manage photo of interiors, but had very good look of it despite very strong oppose from driver.

I had to flee the scene because five drivers gathered by the time.

Enjoy the pics.
The spot is a small restaurant ahead of toll naka and just before the Kambhatki Ghat start right?

I spotted Aria and Diesel Nano there many times.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:30   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
The spot is a small restaurant ahead of toll naka and just before the Kambhatki Ghat start right?

I spotted Aria and Diesel Nano there many times.
Yes, This is the spot.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:42   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Yes, This is the spot.
yeah, good place to hang-out in case you want spot Tata's new vehicle scoops there. Good catch!!!

How is the overall road presence as compared to current Safari? does the rear look appealing without the spare wheel on the tail gate?
Old 4th May 2011, 11:49   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
yeah, good place to hang-out in case you want spot Tata's new vehicle scoops there. Good catch!!!

How is the overall road presence as compared to current Safari? does the rear look appealing without the spare wheel on the tail gate?
Yes you are right, this is good place to have a stop on road and with very good chances of seeing all future Tata lineup.

I would say presence was awesome and I did not feel something missing like spare wheel on tail-gate. Merlin definitely has better presence. Current gen safari feels more lengthier due to spare wheel. But this one looks more balanced and less bulky. Interior is also well done.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:59   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit_relan View Post
........Old Tata safari willl remain as it is....
If the above is true, wouldn't it be too crowded a portfolio for TML - Sumo Grande, Safari, Merlin, Aria (base variant) - in a not very big price range? Would be interesting to see their marketing strategy in this case.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 4th May 2011, 14:05   #327
Senior - BHPian

Tata has made it quite evident that they want to claw back market share in the UV segment. Although there is some overlap most of the models fall in different price ranges.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:58   #328
BHPian

The executive said....Safari will remain as Classic Safari and Merlin will get added into their portfolio. Practically speaking, it will be interesting to see how do they place Merlin between Safari and Aria from cost perspective.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:25   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata has made it quite evident that they want to claw back market share in the UV segment. Although there is some overlap most of the models fall in different price ranges.
They will hire sales personnel from Maruti Suzuki. The only difference is with MS you sold small hatch with same engine under 6lac and here its SUV with similar engine from 6 lac up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit_relan View Post
The executive said....Safari will remain as Classic Safari and Merlin will get added into their portfolio. Practically speaking, it will be interesting to see how do they place Merlin between Safari and Aria from cost perspective.
Thats a good move IMHO. And they should price classic in the M2Di price range for LX.
Old 6th May 2011, 13:52   #330
BHPian

As per the info available, the engine of Merlin will be of Aria.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks