Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 20:51   #406
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
Can somebody attach screen grabs from the above you-tube video? Many like us don't have access to you-tube at work
+1

Its excruciating to see a video link posted and not have access. With exception to videos for sound tests (exhausts, car engine, ICE and the likes) it should be mandatory to post mainstays of the video as pics.

This good deed would only be appreciated and the doer blessed by a huge crowd.
Old 30th June 2011, 21:59   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The launch date is a dampener. Only in 2012? That's when the X2 based SUV should have been launched.
We can expect this to be ready by Festive season for sure (2011). I am not sure whether it is X2 based, but for sure shares the parts bin with Aria. You could see many components and features from Aria, and defenitely could expect similar quality in plastics.
Old 30th June 2011, 22:11   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I am sure for most of us Safari enthusiasts, the rear-mounted spare wheel will be sorely missed :(
Completely agree.. What is an SUV without the rear mounted tyre? That's exactly was the reason I gave scorpio a slip.
Old 4th July 2011, 21:09   #409
BHPian

Guys it seems that the Aria is being launched in it's 4X2 avatar at prices starting at 12.5L on road. This can probably give us a better idea of the price point of the Merlin. Can I make a guess of about 9L on road for the basic version? If that is the case a lot of us will be thrilled!
Old 4th July 2011, 21:23   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Guys it seems that the Aria is being launched in it's 4X2 avatar at prices starting at 12.5L on road. This can probably give us a better idea of the price point of the Merlin. Can I make a guess of about 9L on road for the basic version? If that is the case a lot of us will be thrilled!
C'mon , don't give me daydreams.
Was slightly disappointed with the Aria 4X2 pricing, but your post gave me hope.
If at all the current Safari is sold along with the Merlin we can expect this kinda pricing, but if the Merlin Safari replaces the current Safari then we should expect a lot less.

Last edited by DicKy : 4th July 2011 at 21:24.
Old 5th July 2011, 12:03   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Quote:
C'mon , don't give me daydreams.
Was slightly disappointed with the Aria 4X2 pricing, but your post gave me hope.
If at all the current Safari is sold along with the Merlin we can expect this kinda pricing, but if the Merlin Safari replaces the current Safari then we should expect a lot less.
The buzz around Team-Bhp is that the Merlin will not be replacing the tata safari, but will be positioned above it. To accommodate the Merlin, tata has already stopped producing and selling the 4x4 versions in EX and GX trim of the tata safari. So this gives us a clue into their strategy for the Merlin.

The strategy being that the merlin will be offered in 4x4 mode at launch (just like the Aria) and will be placed above the top model 2WD tata safari. At the moment the top model Safari, the Safari VX, is priced at 13 lakhs OTR N.Delhi. So the 4x4 merlin will be priced above this mark.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:25   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
The strategy being that the merlin will be offered in 4x4 mode at launch (just like the Aria) and will be placed above the top model 2WD tata safari. At the moment the top model Safari, the Safari VX, is priced at 13 lakhs OTR N.Delhi. So the 4x4 merlin will be priced above this mark.
With the Aria strategy being not so positive [only 4x4 versions adding to the price and they bringing in a 4x2 soon at lesser price], I would say the strategy of Merlin with only 4x4 option may back fire. I agree that the car also features better quality [supposedly], but it would be nice for them to offer a 4x2 version at the price of a VX 4x4. So those people who want better quality of current Safari but don't need 4x4 can opt for this and the ones who want both can go for the 4x4 priced a a higher point. Its always better to cover the max ground when you launch a product is what i have learnt from the experiments these guys do in Indian market scenario.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:54   #413
Senior - BHPian

With revised looks and better interiors most customers would perhaps not mind shelling out an additional 10-15% for the Merlin rather than the Safari, especially under a finance scheme. Then it becomes pointless for Tata to sell both Safari and Merlin side by side.

I guess Tata is aiming for a wider price range say 8-13 lacs with the Safari and Merlin. Let us not forget this is not far from the existing Safari price range (before discontinuing the VX variants).

I think people would not mind shelling out so much for an SUV, the Indian psych dictates that SUVs deserve a premium similar to sedans. Of course this does not mean that one can go overboard on pricing. Mahindra have done very well by pushing the humble Scorpio upmarket with variants now available at twice its launch price!!!

Had the Aria been designed as a SUV i.e longer front overhang, smaller glass area, curves/creases to hide the bulk, it could have found it easier to justify its price. Customers would have then compared it to the likes of Endeavor or Fortuner. Instead the crossover styling only registered as a basic UV to Indian consumers and ended up being compared to the Innova. A simple play of vehicle proportions meant that a car that was aimed at perhaps a 20 lac Fortuner ended up being compared to an 8 lac Innova.

To many Indians Safari is still the only true blue Indian SUV, this is where it has an advantage and if upgraded properly enables Tata to charge a 'sensible' premium.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 16:41   #414
Senior - BHPian

I wish Tata launches a Range Rover Evoque look-alike SUV. Evoque's lines are simply breath-taking. High bonnet and waist-line but low ceiling and small green house. Just wow!
Old 6th July 2011, 17:15   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I wish Tata launches a Range Rover Evoque look-alike SUV. Evoque's lines are simply breath-taking. High bonnet and waist-line but low ceiling and small green house. Just wow!
Evoque is like a tank! add .50 caliber on the roof and armor and it can maybe replace the Humvee for military use.

besides, finding parking slot for that beast will be a problem
Old 6th July 2011, 17:55   #416
BHPian

Evoque 5dr is 11 cm longer than Yeti and 10 cm wider. Height is lesser. Compared to the Q5 its 18 cm shorter 3 cm lower. and So its actually pretty small, and parking should be easy.

Last edited by nipunkul : 6th July 2011 at 18:01.
Old 6th July 2011, 18:57   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Evoque is like a tank! add .50 caliber on the roof and armor and it can maybe replace the Humvee for military use.

Beside styling what makes you think that this hatchback/crossover would make it to replacing the military use?
The thing would be bogged down in the slightest mud/slush, let alone carrying a .50 caliber gun, those things are meant for things called pick up trucks or SUVs.
Old 6th July 2011, 21:06   #418
BHPian

Quote:

let alone carrying a .50 caliber gun, those things are meant for things called pick up trucks or SUVs.
Actually a 0.5 caliber gun can be really small (ex: A desert Eagle handgun fires 0.5 caliber)

In fact a 0.5 caliber automatic would be apt for an Evoque, but nothing more than that .
Old 6th July 2011, 23:16   #419
Senior - BHPian

@ Dicky,

I would have agreed with you if the Evoque was a soft roader from any of the Japs but it is not. Not a single car in the entire Land Rover range, I repeat not a single car would get bogged down in mud or slush.

The Evoque is based on the Freelander which is very capable off road, something CRV and Rav 4 owners can only watch and admire. I never believed this myself until we went for a track day to Knockhill and the instructor took a visitors Freelander through the off road section. Heres another video:

Off course, the Evoque is no Defender but it still capable according to the first impressions so far:
Range Rover Evoque off-road | First Drives | Auto Express

Off-road in the Range Rover Evoque | Car Blogs | Car Magazine Online

Lets not forget it does all this by still being the best looking SUV by far.
Old 7th July 2011, 07:05   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

I have seen and sat inside both the Evoque 2 door coupe and 4 door SUV. Range Rover brought them to my office lobby (with nice multimedia kisoks). I work in Manhattan in the Financial District, typically the annual bonus paid out to employees in these firms one can buy several of these cars at one go , so we get nice glimpses of these cars every once in a while.

First of all, the price is very attractive - mid $30 to $40 K - so it is positioned against the Mini and maybe the Infiniti FX or the Audi Q6, or Lexus 350 primarily. It is a small car, nice interiors, looks great-- but really small. Parking will not be a problem
Closed Thread

Most Viewed