Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2012, 00:21   #5431
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
My 2008 Swift Vdi has done 100700 km. Wifey wants to change it for something new. How much can i expect for a well maintained, regularly serviced Sunlight Copper Swift Vdi?
I think you can sell it for upto 3.8lacs. But 3.5 lacs would be a good price as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Hi Friends,

Need you valuable suggestion,

Came across a Swift Ldi, 2008 model (July make), about 74,000 KM's on ODO from Maruti True value. Price quoted is 4.5 Lakh. When I checked the service history from another Maruti Service Center, came to know that the vehicle is last serviced in Sep, 2009 with ODO reading of 33,000 KM's.

Will it be ok, if I go with this purchase ? Since it is from True value, warranty on engine and related parts will be there for 1 year & also I get 3 free services. But I still wonder where the vehicle had been serviced for all these 3 years from 2009 - 2012. Also, the last 3 years it covered 41,000 KM's while 1st year alone it had covered 33,000 KM's, any chances for ODO tampering ?

- Srinivas.R
I have always wanted to ask this. Is there a way to check if the ODO has been tampered with? Can the company run a diagnostics and figure out if the odo has been played around with?

@Srinivas, since you are getting it from MTV, it should be a relatively safer bet, largely due to the 1 year warranty. These guys would not buy a car if they find major faults in it.
Old 26th August 2012, 00:51   #5432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Hi Friends,

Need you valuable suggestion,

Came across a Swift Ldi, 2008 model (July make), about 74,000 KM's on ODO from Maruti True value. Price quoted is 4.5 Lakh. When I checked the service history from another Maruti Service Center, came to know that the vehicle is last serviced in Sep, 2009 with ODO reading of 33,000 KM's.

Will it be ok, if I go with this purchase ? Since it is from True value, warranty on engine and related parts will be there for 1 year & also I get 3 free services. But I still wonder where the vehicle had been serviced for all these 3 years from 2009 - 2012. Also, the last 3 years it covered 41,000 KM's while 1st year alone it had covered 33,000 KM's, any chances for ODO tampering ?

- Srinivas.R
Hello Srinivas, I will be quite wary of a car which has partial service history. Infact, in my books, it is more dangerous than a car with no service history.As the saying goes "Half knowledge is as good as no knowledge."
And dont keep too much faith in the 1 year warranty clause. I think the owner is trying to hide some thing.
Regards
Varun Nair

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
I have always wanted to ask this. Is there a way to check if the ODO has been tampered with? Can the company run a diagnostics and figure out if the odo has been played around with?
Prashant, there are ways to check for ODO tampering but I guess it does have loopholes. It's the same like installing a piggybank ECU like Pete's & removing it before giving the car to service. It does not show up during the scan.
Please correct me if I'm wrong
Regards,
Varun
Old 26th August 2012, 00:59   #5433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If it were me, I would re-built the engine & keep the car, delay the purchase of my new ride for a year or so, get the savings and buy another car along with this. Also keeping this car would probably give me the leeway for purchasing a petrol option for short runs there by saving the premium on a diesel car upfront!
A very innovative thought there. Now I seriously would try and convince my friend for this, sounds perfect, especially since he really loves the Fiesta and isn't very willing to give the car away. Thanks a lot Swift n Furious
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 01:36   #5434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post

Prashant, there are ways to check for ODO tampering but I guess it does have loopholes. It's the same like installing a piggybank ECU like Pete's & removing it before giving the car to service. It does not show up during the scan.
Please correct me if I'm wrong
Regards,
Varun
Well Petes and all similar tuning box providers always claim that it has no permanent effect on the ECU and hence manufacturers cannot detect it.

Though frankly, i dont even think manufacturers check for it during the service. And hence we dont get to know if they can be detected or not.

I guess we ll have to post this query in a tuning box thread.
Old 26th August 2012, 04:41   #5435
BHPian

Hey guys I have got three queries :
1. I have a 2002 Alto vxi 1.1, run 1.16 lakh kms. It is in great condition, apart from some minor scratches. Also i had upgraded the lights and bumper to the ones on the facelifted alto. For those who dont know the car, it came fully loaded with rear wiper, power steering, power windows, internally adjustable ORVM's, tachometer etc. List goes on. How much should I expect for it?

2. I have got some mods on the car. Momo steering and gear knob, 6 speakers and a basstube, ngk spark plugs, k&n conical air filter, 13" alloys(new), p8 HID kit, 4x2x1 complete FFE. (If you are wondering according to my watch, it does 0-100 in roughly 12.5 secs!). Now the question is, should I sell as it is or should I take off the accessories?

3. Finally, Maybe a off topic, sorry, I am looking to purchase a used 4x4 soft/off roader, go anywhere, driver centric car in a 10 lakh budget. I like the following: Outlander, Pajero, X-trail, Endevour. I can look at any other SUV, open for advice. It will act as a second car, mostly used on highways and mountains. My main concern is ride and handling should be good, shouldnt feel like its going to topple on enthusiastic driving.

Thanks.
Old 26th August 2012, 05:40   #5436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316

I think you can sell it for upto 3.8lacs. But 3.5 lacs would be a good price as well.
Maruti true value is offering me 4 lacs. I expect a bit more :-)
Old 26th August 2012, 09:26   #5437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange

Maruti true value is offering me 4 lacs. I expect a bit more :-)
Your car has done over 1 lac kms. Which is why I quoted that price.

My guess if the dealer is buying it at 4 is that they ll reduce the meter clocking and sell it for about 4.5.

I think you should sell it at 4, unless there is another dealer offering more.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:11   #5438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
1. I have a 2002 Alto vxi 1.1, run 1.16 lakh kms. It is in great condition, apart from some minor scratches. Also i had upgraded the lights and bumper to the ones on the facelifted alto. For those who dont know the car, it came fully loaded with rear wiper, power steering, power windows, internally adjustable ORVM's, tachometer etc. List goes on. How much should I expect for it?

2. I have got some mods on the car. Momo steering and gear knob, 6 speakers and a basstube, ngk spark plugs, k&n conical air filter, 13" alloys(new), p8 HID kit, 4x2x1 complete FFE. (If you are wondering according to my watch, it does 0-100 in roughly 12.5 secs!). Now the question is, should I sell as it is or should I take off the accessories?

3. Finally, Maybe a off topic, sorry, I am looking to purchase a used 4x4 soft/off roader, go anywhere, driver centric car in a 10 lakh budget. I like the following: Outlander, Pajero, X-trail, Endevour. I can look at any other SUV, open for advice. It will act as a second car, mostly used on highways and mountains. My main concern is ride and handling should be good, shouldnt feel like its going to topple on enthusiastic driving.

Thanks.
on point 2 its really your wish. See where you are getting more profit, selling it together or selling them separately.

point 3, Definitely the Pajero. But I doubt if you ll get either of these with 10 lacs. You may have to extend a little bit
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 11:59   #5439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post

Thanks.
Hello 13thpsycho, Given below are my 2 cents:-
1. The price for an Alto of your vintage should fetch you around 1L give or take 20K's. Although, you have upgraded to new Alto's bumpers & lights, many prospective buyers will think that your car has suffered a front end impact & that's the reason you changed the lights & bumpers.

2.Try finding an enthusiast to sell your car. That way he will appreciate that mods you have done & it will help you get a better price say, 1.5L. Otherwise I suggest you to sell your accessories separately.

3.Put up your query in the What Car section.You will get better suggessions for your query. To answer your question, the SUV which has best ride & handling withen 10L is the Duster

Regards
Varun

Last edited by powertrain : 26th August 2012 at 12:00.
Old 26th August 2012, 14:34   #5440
BHPian

Guys, I am thinking of selling my 2002 santro which will be 10 years old in a month or two. it is well maintained car and driven for 49,800 kms. tyres are almost new. have used them for only about 7-8000 kms. what price should I expect for it?
Old 26th August 2012, 15:29   #5441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Sriswe,

Rs. 4.5 lacs for 2008 Swift Ldi, with 74000 on odo seems to be on higher side. I understand used Maruti Diesel vehicles are in great demand but this car has done 75000 in 4 years which shows that Car has been rigorously used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post

@Srinivas, since you are getting it from MTV, it should be a relatively safer bet, largely due to the 1 year warranty. These guys would not buy a car if they find major faults in it.
Jignesh, Varun & Prashant, thanks for your responses, even I am not feeling good about the partial service history. Guess that the owner had availed the 4 free services at MASS and then had serviced it somewhere else.

- Srinivas.R

Thanks,
Srinivas.R

Last edited by sriswe : 26th August 2012 at 15:32.
Old 26th August 2012, 16:53   #5442
BHPian

Fellow Bhpians,
Appreciate your inputs on the approx. price for Scorpio - Sep 2009 - mHawk 2.2, VLX, 38k run, very good condition, all service history Scorpio, no add-on except Hella 95/100 headlights with relay, leather seat covers and vKool car flims ?
Thanks.
Old 26th August 2012, 21:54   #5443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
Fellow Bhpians,
Appreciate your inputs on the approx. price for Scorpio - Sep 2009 - mHawk 2.2, VLX, 38k run, very good condition, all service history Scorpio, no add-on except Hella 95/100 headlights with relay, leather seat covers and vKool car flims ?
Thanks.
Hello scorpwarp, quote a price of about 8.5-8.75L &try to close the deal at about 8.25L.
Hope this helps,
Varun Nair
Old 27th August 2012, 00:04   #5444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp
Fellow Bhpians,
Thanks.
I sold my June 2011 VLX Scorpio Airbag Model run 24k kms for 9lakhs in May 2012. FSH and under warranty. And I felt I got a decent deal. I think an 09 model shld go for no more than 8lakhs.
Old 27th August 2012, 02:57   #5445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello 13thpsycho, Given below are my 2 cents:-
1. The price for an Alto of your vintage should fetch you around 1L give or take 20K's. Although, you have upgraded to new Alto's bumpers & lights, many prospective buyers will think that your car has suffered a front end impact & that's the reason you changed the lights & bumpers.

2.Try finding an enthusiast to sell your car. That way he will appreciate that mods you have done & it will help you get a better price say, 1.5L. Otherwise I suggest you to sell your accessories separately.

3.Put up your query in the What Car section.You will get better suggessions for your query. To answer your question, the SUV which has best ride & handling withen 10L is the Duster

Regards
Varun
Thanks Varun, a few pointers I forgot to mention earlier, I have got all the original parts intact with me, including the front bumper and all the lights (even got the bulbs ) I've got a service record for most part of its life.
I havent put the car up for sale as yet but have a few offers around 1.10 lakh. Do you think its a good offer with everything included? I have spent around 60k odd on the mods which is nearly half the value of the car! I just realized that.

Another issue is people looking at buying an Alto are economy conscious and getting the FFE off my shelf, if sold separately, its like searching for diamonds in a coal mine! Not many people are interested in getting an FFE for an Alto and that too for a 1.1 4-cyl...Dreaming!!!

I ll poke around in the What Car section for the SUV, Thanks for all your help.

Most Viewed