Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 21:00   #6211
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
In the used car market after 3 years. For a friend this time though. Budget is ~5 lac. Wants a diesel. Preferably sedan. Checked out Mahindra First Choice in Vellore.

1. 2008 Fiesta - Run 94k, single owner. Quote - 4.8 lac
2. 2009 Logan - Run 80k+, single owner. Quote - 4.9 lac
3. 2009 Punto - Run 76k, single owner. Quote - 4.2 lac

We're not very interested in the Logan.
What should be fair prices for the other 2?

And interestingly, they are not offering the 'company warranty' on any car it seems. Smells fishy??
I think the prices quoted are high. Even if the prices are reasonable, I'd suggest you look for older cars with lower mileage than going for these cars with high miles on them. A 06 or 07 Fiesta with similar/lower mileage can be bought for a considerable lower price. I have heard of First Choice reversing the readings, so make sure you check the service history before going ahead.
Old 12th December 2012, 21:47   #6212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the used car market after 3 years. For a friend this time though. Budget is ~5 lac. Wants a diesel. Preferably sedan. Checked out Mahindra First Choice in Vellore.

We're not very interested in the Logan.
What should be fair prices for the other 2?

And interestingly, they are not offering the 'company warranty' on any car it seems. Smells fishy??
Have you visited the classifieds here?
The quotes above seem too inflated, in my opinion.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:49   #6213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly the prices quoted on all three Cars are on higher side.

But rather than getting into prices, I will suggest to simply stay away from all these three cars, because they have already done more than 75000 kms, while the 2008 Fiesta is nearing 1,00,000 mark.

Though the current Diesel engines are capable of running trouble free for 1.5 lacs or more kms, but the other critical components (like suspension, clutch assembly, etc) of these cars will start giving problems very soon.

Thanks,
Old 13th December 2012, 11:23   #6214
BHPian

What is the correct price for buying a Karnataka registered 2010-Oct Altis J petrol variant that has done about 18k KMs. The car is in good condition like one done 18k should look like. Also any specific things that I should verify physically in the car before buying.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:33   #6215
BHPian

Quote:

Prices quoted by the dealer are at least 75-100K over and above a fair price for all of these cars. Firstly, each of the cars have run a major portion of its engine life, i would suggest you to stay away from any diesel vehicle which has run more than 75K Kms, if at all you really are pressed financially to buy a vehicle which as clocked more than 75K kms, its very important for you to check the full service history and carefully look at what all (if anything) has been replaced in the engine, the clutch, brakes etc., a car that has run that much amount will more often than not demand a decent amount of cost within the next 25-35K Kms.

As far as the prices are concerned, you could safely assume that the dealer is overquoting by about 75K in each of the cases specially since neither of the above cars are really hot cakes in the used car market.

Hope this helps you out !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
What is the correct price for buying a Karnataka registered 2010-Oct Altis J petrol variant that has done about 18k KMs. The car is in good condition like one done 18k should look like. Also any specific things that I should verify physically in the car before buying.
Even though Petrol cars are not really demanding a premium in the used car market, still since its a Toyota you could trust the car to hold its value better than most other petrol vehicles. 7 Lakhs is what i would consider an okayish price for the vehicle with a buffer of +/-25K and you should have got yourself a good deal. In case you are a buyer, then looking at the urgency and need of the seller you could haggle the vehicle till 6.75 Lakhs. Good luck !!
Old 13th December 2012, 12:41   #6216

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_916 View Post
Hi all. I have a White 2nd owner, 93,000 kms run, Mumbai registered May 2005 Elantra CRDI top of the line model (the one with Leather seats, TCS, ABS, Airbags etc). Looking to sell this and buy a new car. Got a Pete's Box as well. Would appreciate if I could get some pointers on expected sale price. Thanks
I got a quote from Popular Car Bazar (Andheri East) of 2.50 Lakhs if I am willing to keep the car at their place for 7-10 days. How reliable is Popular and has anyone dealt with them? Any comments on price / dealer would be welcome. Thx.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:54   #6217
BHPian

There's a 2010 Honda Civic used by Honda Dealer here as their Demo car, with 28k on the ODO. They r expecting 10.5 lacs, but maybe open for negotiations. They said it has clear service history. Haven't checked the vehicle in person yet, but per them it's in good condition. Want your valuable opinions here on 1. Is it a good idea to buy a demo vehicle? Though they say its taken out hardly once a month to a potential customer, am worried how it would have been used by sales agents and 2. What is a fair price for the vehicle? Looking forward to bhp-ians opinions.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:02   #6218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
There's a 2010 Honda Civic used by Honda Dealer here as their Demo car, with 28k on the ODO. They r expecting 10.5 lacs, but maybe open for negotiations. They said it has clear service history. Haven't checked the vehicle in person yet, but per them it's in good condition. Want your valuable opinions here on 1. Is it a good idea to buy a demo vehicle? Though they say its taken out hardly once a month to a potential customer, am worried how it would have been used by sales agents and 2. What is a fair price for the vehicle? Looking forward to bhp-ians opinions.
One word: Avoid..
Any test drive or demo car is usually abused left right by the person who drives it. Count that with the numerous people who would have driven the car.
And 10.5 lakhs? What world are they living in? Petrol vehicles are not in demand in the used car market. I have seen used civics dropping in value by as much as 40-50% in 2-2.5 years. I just saw a used 2010 civic on TBHP classifieds for 765000/- run 24k kms, Mumbai based. You can use that as an indicator for the true price of a used civic

But avoid a test vehicle at any cost.

Last edited by hrman : 13th December 2012 at 14:11.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 14:52   #6219
BHPian

I am planning to Sell off my Verna CRDI - 2008 july make. What can be the expected price for it? Details are following :

Model : Verna CRDI VGT
Km: 66K

The dealers are offering as low as 2.9 or so. What should be the realistic price I should bergain for ?
Old 13th December 2012, 14:57   #6220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's a 2010 Honda Civic used by Honda Dealer here as their Demo car, with 28k on the ODO. They r expecting 10.5 lacs... Looking forward to bhp-ians opinions.
Agree with hrman...I would stay away from a demo-used dealer car.

And the expected price is not in line with current market trends.

You can get much better cars directly, with some effort (classifieds section of "The Hindu " on Sunday is one good source).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 13th December 2012 at 14:58.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 15:19   #6221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatmaster View Post
2008 Model : Verna CRDI VGT Km: 66K Registration: Kolkata
Hello Bhatmaster,

Rs. 2.9 lacs is too less for a 2008 Verna CRDI, considering that fact that used Diesel Cars command a huge premium now-a-days.

You should not sell the Car for less than Rs. 3.5 lacs. I will suggest to find a direct buyer, who will offer a very good price.

Thanks,
Old 13th December 2012, 16:29   #6222
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Why not get a 2010-11 civic for the same price or for a slightly higher price? There are a lot of good examples floating around. Just recently, we had someone here, pick up a 13k run 2011 civic V-AT for 11Lakhs (in Mumbai, though)

Myself, have come across nov 10 civics for less than 9 lakhs (with around 15000 clicks on the dials) or 2011 civics for ~11 lakhs. I would strongly suggest, giving the test vehicle a pass and instead start scouting for good examples.

Test vehicles are not handled with care by the prospective buyers (as they would with their own for obvious reasons) and so, may have a lot of wear and tear. A pre-owned vehicle when it was new would have meant the world to a certain someone and so, would have been cared for (something which can be easily gauged by a mechanic). My 2 cents

All the best with your search
Old 13th December 2012, 16:56   #6223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was also in the market for a used civic a while ago. What the rest say is right 10.5 for a civic is way too much expect to pay that much for a 2012 civic. One that has done roughly 30k should not go above 7.5lakhs remember petrols are not in demand anymore. Oh and also if it is for some reason hard to find a good deal, look for low mileage but slightly older civics say 2008-9 since the car has basically remained the same throughout its stint in our country and always remember to check the service history or take it to a honda service center to see if the odo has been messed around with cause this car is everywhere so surely there will be quite a few in the hands of dishonest people too.
Good Luck!
Old 13th December 2012, 17:20   #6224
BHPian

Hi All,
I am thinking of selling my 2005 Swift Vxi.
I'm the 2nd owner (bought it from Maruti True Value in 2008 with ODO @ 22k) and it has done 83,000 Kms in total.
This is the first generation Swift which has the 1300cc engine.
Need your inputs on how much can I expect?

I'm in no hurry to sell this and don't mind retaining the car for few more years.
I'm currently not using the car these days (maximum of 200 Kms per month), I have a beat diesel for my daily use.
I might get a LPG kit fixed if I feel like using it regularly or maybe retain it for few more years and hopefully it'll be come an antique .

Awaiting your thoughts on this.
Old 13th December 2012, 20:14   #6225
BHPian

Quote:
There's a 2010 Honda Civic used by Honda Dealer here as their Demo car, with 28k on the ODO. They r expecting 10.5 lacs, but maybe open for negotiations. They said it has clear service history. Haven't checked the vehicle in person yet, but per them it's in good condition. Want your valuable opinions here on
first thing I would say don't even consider a demo vehicle. if it was used once a month just for test drives I doubt it could have clocked 28000 kms. it should be much lesser than that.
the price quoted is also very high although you may be the first owner on paper. A friend was looking out for a civic and saw a 2011 car quoting 9.5 and another 2010 car quoting 7.5. both done under 30000 kms. these prices sound more realistic to me.

Most Viewed