Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 12:01   #6271
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
Guys...
What would be the best price for Chevrolet optra magnum TDCI 2008 LT model run 45k. Have come across one for 4.5lac.car felt very powerful and planted.
Would it be wise to go for one as it has been discontinued.

Also came across a 2009 punto emotion run 40k offered for 4 lac.
Everything felt good abt the car except the sluggish engine. I feel that quick overtaking would be too risky especially on NH 17 where i travel a lot. There is an option of getting it peted but i dont know how much of an difference it will make.
If you are planning to travel on Highways often then go for a safe, secure and more comfortable car which Optra is. The model is discontinued but it is very recently hence for next 3 years parts availability will not be an issue according to me and try to bargain a little to bring down the price to 4L. Though 4.5 L looks good to me
Old 19th December 2012, 12:41   #6272
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of Magnums, my friend is on the look out for one but is in no hurry. He is hoping prices will be cheaper sometime jan/feb of the new year. His budget is 4 lakhs for which he wants the top-end diesel model in good condition regardless of what the odo reads. Is this realistic in Hyderabad? How many kilometers should he expect the car to have already covered?
Old 19th December 2012, 13:11   #6273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
What would be the best price for Chevrolet optra magnum TDCI 2008 LT model run 45k. Have come across one for 4.5lac.car felt very powerful and planted.
Would it be wise to go for one as it has been discontinued.

Also came across a 2009 punto emotion run 40k offered for 4 lac.
Everything felt good abt the car except the sluggish engine. I feel that quick overtaking would be too risky especially on NH 17 where i travel a lot. There is an option of getting it peted but i dont know how much of an difference it will make.
Shanty, I'm a proud owner of a 2009 Optra Magnum TDCi. It is within touching distance of 75K KM on the odo and good for another 40-50K at least. I can tell you that it is a fine car in many aspects; in equal parts powerful, comfortable, engaging, spacious and rugged. You will especially appreciate what the car has to offer on your daily NH 17 run. Between the Optra and the Punto, I'd definitely recommend the former. Although technically the Optra is discontinued, I don't see service as an issue really in the Thane/Mumbai area - at least for the next 2-3 years.

A car that has done 45K seems pretty reasonable to me. Get the car thoroughly tested with an extended drive and see if you sense/spot/hear something unusual. Otherwise you should be good to go with the Magnum.

Oh just one teeny-weeny thing: while 4.5 Lacs isn't unreasonable, if you can close it at 4 it'll be sweet.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 19th December 2012 at 13:13.
Old 19th December 2012, 13:27   #6274
BHPian

How much will a EECO (With AC) , May 2011 Model with 4 K On the ODO Fetch me. Somehow I feel it was a hurried decesion I took 18 month ago to purchase it and look to get a MUV / SUV if I can get a decent deal on EECO.
Old 19th December 2012, 14:09   #6275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom

Shanty, I'm a proud owner of a 2009 Optra Magnum TDCi. It is within touching distance of 75K KM on the odo and good for another 40-50K at least. I can tell you that it is a fine car in many aspects; in equal parts powerful, comfortable, engaging, spacious and rugged. You will especially appreciate what the car has to offer on your daily NH 17 run. Between the Optra and the Punto, I'd definitely recommend the former. Although technically the Optra is discontinued, I don't see service as an issue really in the Thane/Mumbai area - at least for the next 2-3 years.

A car that has done 45K seems pretty reasonable to me. Get the car thoroughly tested with an extended drive and see if you sense/spot/hear something unusual. Otherwise you should be good to go with the Magnum.

Oh just one teeny-weeny thing: while 4.5 Lacs isn't unreasonable, if you can close it at 4 it'll be sweet.
Thanks buddy,..
Am looking at a few nore optras before i buy one. Have also asked a friend who works ub Chevrolet showroom to try and verify the service history.
Old 19th December 2012, 15:38   #6276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Speaking of Magnums, my friend is on the look out for one but is in no hurry. He is hoping prices will be cheaper sometime jan/feb of the new year. His budget is 4 lakhs for which he wants the top-end diesel model in good condition regardless of what the odo reads. Is this realistic in Hyderabad? How many kilometers should he expect the car to have already covered?
Ishaan: it may be a tad unrealistic if he's looking for a Optra Magnum that hasn't aged more than 3-4 years. I would assume those would be more in the vicinity of Rs. 5 Lacs rather than 4 - even if he were to buy in Jan/Feb 2013.

On the other hand, if your buddy is willing to look at slightly older models, then I'd say it is not very improbable for him to ferret out a 2007 Magnum driven around for say 50-55K KM for about Rs. 4-4.5 Lacs depending on the state of the car. So I imagine Hyderabad shouldn't be much different in the used car market although I cannot be a cent percent certain.

Just one point though: IIRC the current Magnum was launched sometime in 2007; which makes it a shade over 5 years into its life cycle now. You're aware that it is also discontinued by Chevy now. Hence I would recommend that you target a 2008/2009 model that has had a moderate run. Stretch your budget a little if it means doing that - you will, in some measure, protect your resale value as well.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 19th December 2012 at 15:42.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 16:07   #6277

Hi all,

I came across a swift diesel - VDI (new model) with 6k+ kms run and the registration of the car is around Apr2012 (as per owner), the price being quoted is 5.4 lakhs

I wanted to know the reason from the owner why he is parting so soon and he told me that he is moving abroad

The thing which strikes me is that he mentioned that he had a 2 month waiting period for the VDI whilst the standard is around 5 months in Kolkata

Please advice on what should I look for in order to ascertain no accidental case is involved
Old 19th December 2012, 17:32   #6278
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Do you really want to pick a 4 year old Safari? These will not have any warranty left on it & if something goes wrong, it can be expensive to maintain.
Hi SwiftnFurious,

A 4 year one only incase it is very well maintained. I would then be scrutinizing it much more that what I would do for a 2-3 year old.
The most preferred ones are 2-3 year old.
Old 19th December 2012, 17:56   #6279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
...I was briefly interested in them before I decided against VW and Skoda to have peace of mind. Of the batch, Madhuban Toyota in Khar (W) is quoting 6.6-6.9 L for the 2 cars they have (12 and 24K on the ODO). Caravan Cars have three from the same lot and are quoting 1L more for roughly the same ODO readings. They have uploaded the photos on carwale.com and they look to be in good share. When I inquired last week, the folks at Madhuban Toyota kept chasing me for the next 3 days. I wasn't able to go since I don't live or work close by there, and then I briefly thought about a new Vento (0% interest) and then decided totally against it. Thought I would share this info for others who may be interested.
Not sure if I call it fate or stupidity. I ended up choosing one of the 2 cars being sold by Madhuban Toyota. Should be getting it later this week. Was a Jan 11 made, registered in Pune for the first time in Aug 11. Done about 24K since. (The other is a Apr 11 made most likely registered around the same time, 12K done by had a scratch and the right tail light was broken a little)
Separately found someone on a social networking site who works for VW and confirmed that VW did auction these cars. He mentions that the cars are generally refurbished, but this time some Vento ATs were given without being touched.
The used car dealers would have got a bargain for these cars, and brought them to Mumbai, I assume because the prices are higher here than Pune itself.
Old 19th December 2012, 18:26   #6280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babuchand View Post
I wanted to know the reason from the owner why he is parting so soon and he told me that he is moving abroad. Please advice on what should I look for in order to ascertain no accidental case is involved
Hello Babuchand,

That is very much possible. I work in IT Company & at any given point of time we have many people going onsite (abraod) & ready to selling their belongings here at throw away prices.

Now coming to the Car you have seen, since it is just a 8 month old Car it should be in pretty good shape & also check the whether Insurance policy is valid from the date of the purchase of Car & ask for the service histroy done a Authorized service center.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 08:32   #6281

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post

Hello,

Welcome aboard!!!

Something around the 65-70000 mark (depending upon the condition) considering, prices in Bangalore are on the higher side. Please ensure you strike a deal with an individual as, dealers will quote half of the above mentioned amount (Comes from my personal experience of trying to part with my 05 Esteem VXi)

Man, cars depreciate like stink these days
Thanks Metalbuff! I got two Valuations done for car exchange which might interest you:
1. VW guys offered 60k with a 20k exchange bonus if I go for Vento Diesel Hi line
2. Maruti offered 80k with 25k bonus if I go for an SX4 Diesel
Old 21st December 2012, 11:35   #6282
Distinguished - BHPian

Somebody I know picked up a sonata, 2006, 40k for 3.5 lacs through some inside contacts in a bank's recovery thingummy.
Good deal?
Anybody else has had such dealings?
Old 21st December 2012, 14:41   #6283
BHPian

If that is a Sonata petrol then thats an ok deal. 2006 Accords are available for around 4-4.5 so .. Plus the previous Sonata is completely outdated. Vehicles recovered by banks have low values because those are not the best treated vehicles. Banks often hold auctions to dispose of repossesed vehicles and the main buyers at such auctions are used car dealers.
Old 21st December 2012, 15:33   #6284
BHPian

The company i work for is likely to shift out of the city, which means that i need to drive 80 km per day instead of the present 20 km. Thinking of selling my petrol 2009 Octavia & going for a preowned Diesel Octavia. I am like OK with the maintenance costs as i have a good mechanic in Pune.

How much would a well maintained 1.8 TPI with some scratches (left untouched) go for ? Its run about 34000 km.
Old 21st December 2012, 15:55   #6285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
The company i work for is likely to shift out of the city, which means that i need to drive 80 km per day instead of the present 20 km. Thinking of selling my petrol 2009 Octavia & going for a preowned Diesel Octavia. I am like OK with the maintenance costs as i have a good mechanic in Pune.

How much would a well maintained 1.8 TPI with some scratches (left untouched) go for ? Its run about 34000 km.
RXPaul for a 2009 Octy 1.8 TPI, my estimate would be you should expect to get something in the range of Rs. 3.75-4.5 Lacs. I know that is a fairly large window but with Octavias that is often the case. Varies greatly from car to car.

Unfortunately a petrol Octavia will pull the value down some and give your buyer a little nego room but that the car's done only 34K KM and is well-maintained should give you enough thrust to offset that.

Just outta curiosity: why a diesel Octavia instead of say a pre-owned Vento/Rapid?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks