Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2005, 03:26   #31
BHPian

well i really dont think it being a mivec or not is gonna help numbers...the normal 100bhp city sold more than the vtec neways...
just being a decent performer and having decent fuel efficieny..which i surely believe it would have...is more than enuff to take the fight to the city...
when launched it was selling as well as the city...even though it lost out to it in the power stakes...the new one if more exciting and priced in teh same bracket as the new city....i dont c a reason y it should equal the city or perhaps even outsell it...
Old 28th December 2005, 00:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
do you have any idea about the pricing of the car?
the price range is supposed to be 9-12 lakhs depending on the models and yes there is a fully loaded sports version to take on the RS(certainly not a RS beater though)

The current lancer will be pushed to 6.00 with the invecs and the new 1600cc priced at around 8.00. The prices for the current lancer are my guesses based on what I have heard from the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
lancer this, cedia that; show us some mivecs, HM...THEN, we'll talk about beating honda or toyota. as things stand, no matter how good the products actually are, they will not appeal to the masses unless and until mitsubishi establishes itself as a key player. now, the lancer WAS a good car, but it pales in comparison to the current crop of competitors....

when mitsubishi takes the indian market seriously, honda and toyota might not have much to worry about, but GM and ford will. but until then.....

as for the cedia, there's no doubt that the car WILL sell, but not in the expected volumes (read:corolla category).

so, since HM-mitsubishi cannot rake in volumes, they might as well take a chance and launch the evo as a CKD.....

I suppose the 1600cc is the same famouse Mivec engine. Mitsubishi is taking the market real seriously. Thats y they have 6models lined up for launch in 2006 Jan-july.

I dont think cedia will sell in corolla numbers but it will ....sell well

about bringing in the EVO I think introducing the eclipse would be a better idea. ITs in the same price range as the civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
You can't beat McDonalds by making a better burger. Mitsubishi, like Fiat, makes great cars, but can't sell them. OTOH, the americans (esp. Ford) are great marketeers.

I expect the battle to be fought between Honda and Toyata.

M

people buy more Quiznos today than SUbways.
mitsubishi eclipse won car of the year from "maxim"
honda civic won car of the year from "motortrend"

and on the whole the AMericans are about to be crushed(read that as the big three)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Commenst abt lancers on teh link

1, WOW

2.Wow

3. WTF

4. damn! our sonata!
my friend its the same lancer you see in the pictures on the links above barring the front grille treatment. SO if you like the pictures on the two links above you will surely like the India cedia in form too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower
well i really dont think it being a mivec or not is gonna help numbers...the normal 100bhp city sold more than the vtec neways...
just being a decent performer and having decent fuel efficieny..which i surely believe it would have...is more than enuff to take the fight to the city...
when launched it was selling as well as the city...even though it lost out to it in the power stakes...the new one if more exciting and priced in teh same bracket as the new city....i dont c a reason y it should equal the city or perhaps even outsell it...

as you said above that OHC 1.5 sold more than the vtec, let me remind you that lancers used to sell more than the OHC 1.5.

proper packaging and marketing will certainly help HM- mitsubishi sell more cars.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 28th December 2005 at 00:38.
Old 28th December 2005, 14:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
as you said above that OHC 1.5 sold more than the vtec, let me remind you that lancers used to sell more than the OHC 1.5.
when was this ??
as far as i remember, the lancer NEVER outsold the OHC
maybe the individual versions - but combined - never

do you have any figures to back up this claim ??

PS - from what steeroid has posted
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-figures.html

In 2002-03, OHC sold more than twice the number of lancers
Old 28th December 2005, 16:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suppose the 1600cc is the same famouse Mivec engine. Mitsubishi is taking the market real seriously. Thats y they have 6models lined up for launch in 2006 Jan-july.
erm, i don't think they have a mivec in the cedia. also, if mitsubishi is taking the market seriously, then they SHOULD launch the evo. the eclipse is fine, but the evo can do wonders to the mitsubishi's indian image. plus, if they import it as a ckd, the costs wouldn't be that prohibitve- in fact, it could come well under the 25 lac bracket. at that price, it would REALLY be a steal...let's just hope that one of those six models is the evo.
but then, how did you come to the "6" figure...? apart from the montero, cedia and the outlander or endeavour, what other models are you expecting...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower
if not in numbers, the mivec will definitely help in the performance stakes (which was what i meant) ; and the reason for the 1.5 outselling the vtec was due to the unjustified premium over the "vtec" badge; but that shouldn't be a problem for the cedia- people might actually jump at the mivecs....
Old 28th December 2005, 16:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

So that solves the mystery of the old Lancer with TN 21 test plates I have been seeing a lot of lately! Must be the 1.6 L version. If anyone goes for a walk on the ARAI hills (popularly known as "Tekdi" around here), you can see the new(!?) lancer almost everyday(not the Cedia). The exterior changes, I think are minimal, and the chromed waterfall grill is not to my liking. (Liked the older one). The B-pillar is blacked out. Apart from that, I couldnt really observe any major exterior changes. Will get some pics if I can. But the people who drive that thing almost always seem to be in a tearing hurry. So the car must be quite "rip"pable, IMHO .

Last edited by sajo : 28th December 2005 at 16:53.
Old 28th December 2005, 16:53   #36
BHPian

Was at the Mitsubishi dealership last month where they had an EVO 9 on display. HM was collecting feelers from customers on the EVO. The dealer even went on to say that the EVO might be launched in India albeit with changes. Guess what, there was a question on the BHP figures one would like to see on the car if launched. One could choose only max upto 160 BHP according to the questionnaire. So sadly the EVO in present specs might not be launched here.Apart from the models mentioned , I think the Pajero with some changes is expected to be launched and Mitsubishi is supposedly gonna peg it around 17-18 lacs.

Absolutely, something like the EVO could help lift Mitsubishi's image. But majority in our country even understand the feature set and what the car can do??. There was one guy who said he did not like the Recaro seats on the EVO since the back seat space was reduced.!!
Old 30th December 2005, 10:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay
Was at the Mitsubishi dealership last month where they had an EVO 9 on display. HM was collecting feelers from customers on the EVO. The dealer even went on to say that the EVO might be launched in India albeit with changes. Guess what, there was a question on the BHP figures one would like to see on the car if launched. One could choose only max upto 160 BHP according to the questionnaire. So sadly the EVO in present specs might not be launched here.Apart from the models mentioned , I think the Pajero with some changes is expected to be launched and Mitsubishi is supposedly gonna peg it around 17-18 lacs.

Absolutely, something like the EVO could help lift Mitsubishi's image. But majority in our country even understand the feature set and what the car can do??. There was one guy who said he did not like the Recaro seats on the EVO since the back seat space was reduced.!!

frankly speaking according to me the evo lancer is not suited for India. I think even the RS is overkill. 120-130hp is more than enough for the Indian driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
So that solves the mystery of the old Lancer with TN 21 test plates I have been seeing a lot of lately! Must be the 1.6 L version. If anyone goes for a walk on the ARAI hills (popularly known as "Tekdi" around here), you can see the new(!?) lancer almost everyday(not the Cedia). The exterior changes, I think are minimal, and the chromed waterfall grill is not to my liking. (Liked the older one). The B-pillar is blacked out. Apart from that, I couldnt really observe any major exterior changes. Will get some pics if I can. But the people who drive that thing almost always seem to be in a tearing hurry. So the car must be quite "rip"pable, IMHO .

that is the 2003 grille you are talking about. I dont think they will keep the same design because the Ahmedabad dealer said its being redesigned completely. Must be the powertrain they are checking out.according to what you say the 1600cc engine looks to be real fun . post the pictures soon.

Quote:
erm, i don't think they have a mivec in the cedia. also, if mitsubishi is taking the market seriously, then they SHOULD launch the evo. the eclipse is fine, but the evo can do wonders to the mitsubishi's indian image. plus, if they import it as a ckd, the costs wouldn't be that prohibitve- in fact, it could come well under the 25 lac bracket. at that price, it would REALLY be a steal...let's just hope that one of those six models is the evo.
but then, how did you come to the "6" figure...? apart from the montero, cedia and the outlander or endeavour, what other models are you expecting...?

if not in numbers, the mivec will definitely help in the performance stakes (which was what i meant) ; and the reason for the 1.5 outselling the vtec was due to the unjustified premium over the "vtec" badge; but that shouldn't be a problem for the cedia- people might actually jump at the mivecs....

please read the previous post for some info buddy. The 1600cc engine is for the current lancer.

Times of INdia had quoted the price for the EVO RS import at 18lacs.

ANd I have not chosen the 6 figure. Its been issued by HM-mitsubishi. THey will release 1 new model every month until june2006.

the vtec didnt sell more because THe "aam janta" didnt find the extra price worth the 6hp more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
when was this ??
as far as i remember, the lancer NEVER outsold the OHC
maybe the individual versions - but combined - never

do you have any figures to back up this claim ??

PS - from what steeroid has posted
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-figures.html

In 2002-03, OHC sold more than twice the number of lancers
Its been true for many years until 2001 or 2002 when OHC started selling more.

will post a link as soon as possible.
Old 30th December 2005, 11:09   #38
BHPian

There definitely seems to be something goin on at HM-Mitsubishi. Their flagship dealer in Mumbai..Metro Motors is having a complete facelift. If Mitsubishi did'nt have financial woes (due to their own making), they would have been right up there with Toyota and Honda. They will recover. Their 1.6 at 7.5l?...hmm would be exciting would'nt it?
Old 30th December 2005, 11:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
frankly speaking according to me the evo lancer is not suited for India. I think even the RS is overkill. 120-130hp is more than enough for the Indian driving conditions.
BHP figures are taken into account, considering the kerb weight, transmission and other factors of the vehicle.

It's no use limiting power to 130bhp as an S class with that sort of power will suffer heavily. What u should be looking at, is the power to weight ratio of the car.

S350 vs Accord V6 is the perfect example.

S350
3.7 ltr - 233 PS - 1770 Kgs
Pwr/Wt Ratio - 131.6 PS/Ton

Accord V6
3ltr - 224 PS - 1530 Kgs
Pwr/Wt Ratio - 146.4 PS/Ton.

But since both are A/T, their performance is retarded to match some of the other M/T cars with a lesser Pwr/Wt Ratio.

So, as long as Mitsu maintains a healthy Pwr/Wt ratio, with the right gearing and transmission on the Lancer, they shouldn't have any problems as far as performance goes.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 30th December 2005 at 11:20.
Old 30th December 2005, 14:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
BHP figures are taken into account, considering the kerb weight, transmission and other factors of the vehicle.

It's no use limiting power to 130bhp as an S class with that sort of power will suffer heavily. What u should be looking at, is the power to weight ratio of the car.

S350

Accord V6
3ltr - 224 PS - 1530 Kgs

But since both are A/T, their performance is retarded to match some of the other M/T cars with a lesser Pwr/Wt Ratio.

So, as long as Mitsu maintains a healthy Pwr/Wt ratio, with the right gearing and transmission on the Lancer, they shouldn't have any problems as far as performance goes.

Shan2nu
qood repl shan2nu: good sensible answer, and very informative.
Old 1st January 2006, 05:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu

S350

Accord V6
3ltr - 224 PS - 1530 Kgs

Shan2nu
you are right, but how many will buy an accord v6 or mercedes s class for that matter?

and I am not limiting power figures to 130hp. what I am trying to say is that. In this segment(corolla,elantra,optra,octavia, lancer,city,baleno etc) which weight between 900-1300kgs 130hp is enough.

certainly if the weight is more than more torque will be needed to move the vehicle resulting in more bhp's.

Hence once of the reasons why cedia can beat corolla in performance stakes. has any1 else seen or driven cedia?
Old 2nd January 2006, 15:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you are kidding, right...? 120-130 bhp is enough for daily driving conditions, nothing more. there are roads where you can do 250 kmph with ease- provided you have the car....

Quote:
Times of INdia had quoted the price for the EVO RS import at 18lacs.

ANd I have not chosen the 6 figure. Its been issued by HM-mitsubishi. THey will release 1 new model every month until june2006.
18 lacs..???!!! TOI has gone bonkers...the evo RS costs about 35,000 U.S $ on-road. that translates to about 15,75,000 just for the car alone- what about the 106% duty, octroi, regn, sales tax, road tax and insurance..??? all these for 2.25 lacs..??? there's some MAJOR error in that info, pal...

even if the car was imported as CKD, the kits would attract around 30% duty, plus other charges and assembling charges- which was why i quoted the 25 lac (approx) figure.

as for the "6" figure, well, that's good news; provided HM doesn't enhance the lancer and include it as a "launch". but then, if HM IS planning to launch 6models, that SHOULD include the evo, and perhaps the eclipse too...

Quote:
the vtec didnt sell more because THe "aam janta" didnt find the extra price worth the 6hp more.
read my post again, friend- that's exactly what i said...
Old 2nd January 2006, 20:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the evo RS costs about 35,000 U.S $ on-road. that translates to about 15,75,000 just for the car alone- what about the 106% duty, octroi, regn, sales tax, road tax and insurance..??? all these for 2...
The C-Class is about $35K in the US, which means the EVO will be around the same price as a C if they build it as CKD. Full import/SKD will make it more expensive.
Old 3rd January 2006, 08:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

cedia sfxi pics and roadtest (Ralliart in N.america)

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...04ralliart.htm

cedia sfxi detailed information and good pics (ralliart N.america)

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow...0/page007.html

this one is really good

http://www.automotive.com/features/a...iart-rear.html

pic comparo against competition (civic,corolla and others)

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2006/vmd13732ov.html

update:- Rumours( possibly true) heard that the new 1600cc lancer will have the lancer LE rear

possible competition for the new civic si

http://www.purehonda.com/images/mitsubishi-mirage.jpg

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd January 2006 at 08:35.
Old 4th January 2006, 18:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

@Mpower: well, i guess that would put the evo in the 25 lac category then now, wouldn't it....but methinks there would be a lot of customers for the evo, even at c-class price; unless the 3-series come in at competitive rates of course....
given the choice, what would you pick..?

as for the cedia, ther's no doubt that it's a good car; but all boils down to the pricing- at 10 lacs or below, i see the cedia selling in thousands. at 12, in hundreds...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks