Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 18:52   #31
BHPian

Re: How to renew driving license issued in other state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Thanks throttleking. I have to renew my driving license as it is of book type and I left Nagpur many years ago. Two months back I went to Nagpur and got the NOC for my two wheelers. I had not given them my license as I had to drive a lot in next few days.

Soon I will start a procedure from Bangalore and will PM you If I need any help.
Sure let me know. BTW little off topic, if you have not recognised me, I am Sagar Joshi, we were together in Control IT in Nagpur

Did you inquire about renewal process of the DL in Bangalore RTO? I think it can be done, you might need a NOC from Nagpur RTO

Last edited by throttleking : 7th October 2011 at 18:54.
Old 7th October 2011, 18:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Sure let me know. BTW little off topic, if you have not recognised me, I am Sagar Joshi, we were together in Control IT in Nagpur

Did you inquire about renewal process of the DL in Bangalore RTO? I think it can be done, you might need a NOC from Nagpur RTO
That's quite a surprise Sagar. I always see your Bullet and you have one of the most beautiful bullet around. You are in my facebook too.

There are two ways:
Easy Way: Get the NOC from Nagpur and apply for new license/address changes at Nagpur

Tough Way: Bangalore RTO would process my license and send communication to Nagpur and it will take forever to get me new license.

I would prefer Easy Way any day.
Old 20th February 2012, 18:29   #33
BHPian

I have the A4 sheet kind of driving licence issues donkeys years ago from Indore in MP. I want the card kind of licence now. Is it possible to get one issued in Calcutta where I presently live? The licence is yet to expire.

Can someone throw some light on this? Thanks.
Old 27th March 2012, 16:53   #34
BHPian

Any idea on process of renewing Delhi license in Chennai ? Driving school say it's impossible and requires NOC .
Old 28th March 2012, 16:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Look two posts above -

Easy Way - Get NOC from Delhi and apply in Chennai
Tough Way - Apply in Chennai RTO and let them handle the communication

Then of course you have -

Wrong Way - Get an agent, pay bribe and get it in Chennai in 2-3 days
Old 28th March 2012, 20:24   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Go and join the Automobile Association and become a life member there.
Ask them to handle the renewal for you and they will do it.
Life Membership costs Rs 3500/-
The typical License renewal charges are about Rs 250-500 max.

AASI membership gives an automobile user a lot of peace of mind so it is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Any idea on process of renewing Delhi license in Chennai ? Driving school say it's impossible and requires NOC .
Old 4th April 2012, 14:56   #37

I have a problem. I lost my license few days back which was issued by Pune RTO. Right now i am living in PCMC which have a different RTO.

When I applied to PCMC RTO, they said i need to submit old license then only they can issue. I can not apply to Pune RTO as now they do not give DL by hand, it will be shipped to address which is mentioned in DL.

Pleahttps://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modcpforsitefilter1/moderate.php?do=posts#se suggest me what to do.
Old 11th June 2012, 08:52   #38

My driving license which is issued in Bangalore is going to be expired in two week's time. Is there any way in which I can renew the license remotely / online since I am abroad on an international assignment? Any help on this matter would be highly appreciated; since I have a letter from the local DMV stating that I can use my Indian Driving license for driving here.
Old 28th October 2012, 16:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

My younger sister's license issued in Chennai in 1992 expired in July this year and that was when I knew that there existed an NOC for licenses too (like there is for vehicles from other state).
She could not get it renewed in Chennai for various reasons and getting a new one in KL is a big task. Got an NOC for her license from Ayanavaram RTO, using which she will renew it in Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10
It would be easier to applying for a new license rather than getting it renewed knowing how the RTO works especially when dealing with interstate ones.
Getting a new license is a pain as my father learnt when his GJ license expired. He was not aware that he can renew the GJ license in Kerala by getting an NOC from GJ-RTO. So went for a new license which took weeks / months and too many visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy
Guys, I am confused. What should I do?
1. Is NOC really required?
2. Should I get a new DL or try to get the NOC from Guwahati?
A little late in the day, but still for anyone else in similar position.
If you want to renew a license issued in another state in a different state, you need an NOC. Getting an NOC and renewing existing license is easier than going for a new license. It helps if you have someone in the previous state to get the NOC and send to you.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 17:30   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
My younger sister's license issued in Chennai in 1992 expired in July this year and that was when I knew that there existed an NOC for licenses too (like there is for vehicles from other state).
She could not get it renewed in Chennai for various reasons and getting a new one in KL is a big task. Got an NOC for her license from Ayanavaram RTO, using which she will renew it in Kerala.

Getting a new license is a pain as my father learnt when his GJ license expired. He was not aware that he can renew the GJ license in Kerala by getting an NOC from GJ-RTO. So went for a new license which took weeks / months and too many visits.

A little late in the day, but still for anyone else in similar position.
If you want to renew a license issued in another state in a different state, you need an NOC. Getting an NOC and renewing existing license is easier than going for a new license. It helps if you have someone in the previous state to get the NOC and send to you.
So what all papers/ procedures are required to get this NOC done? Police NOC and RTO NOC as for vehicles?
Old 28th October 2012, 21:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

^^^Nothing. A simple procedure which is done in a day. I went via a driving-school owner and all I was asked was the original license + the name of the RTO to which the NOC was to be issued. By evening the NOC was ready. Damage : 200Rs.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:16   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
At this age RTO is very mysterious organization in India. Typically it should be monitored by central government but not in this case. Even if I approach with right set of documents they will tend to send me back several times (bribe matters). But I am not suppose to give a single rupee bribe to those guys.
There is no mystery. It is just a matter of the letter(s) bearing the signatures of the Governor of the RBI.
Old 6th February 2013, 11:55   #43
BHPian

I have a four wheeler license issued in Kerala in 1997 and a two wheeler license issued from Karnataka in 2000. I presently live in Kerala and would like to know whether there is any issue in continuing to use the Karnataka license in Kerala. Kerala motor vehicles dept website says NOC is required from the other state for re-registering the license in Kerala.
I would like to know whether it is mandatory to re-register. After all the license clearly mentions that I am authorized to drive throughout India. I checked the Transport Dept website of Karnataka, but there is no option to request an NOC online. Please let me have your opinion regarding what I should do.
Old 6th February 2013, 13:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Go and join the Automobile Association and become a life member there.
Ask them to handle the renewal for you and they will do it.
Life Membership costs Rs 3500/-
The typical License renewal charges are about Rs 250-500 max.

AASI membership gives an automobile user a lot of peace of mind so it is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
I have a four wheeler license issued in Kerala in 1997 and a two wheeler license issued from Karnataka in 2000. I presently live in Kerala and would like to know whether there is any issue in continuing to use the Karnataka license in Kerala. Kerala motor vehicles dept website says NOC is required from the other state for re-registering the license in Kerala.
I would like to know whether it is mandatory to re-register. After all the license clearly mentions that I am authorized to drive throughout India. I checked the Transport Dept website of Karnataka, but there is no option to request an NOC online. Please let me have your opinion regarding what I should do.

Sorry to pull up Shankar's old post. But even AASI has some limitations. In my case, my Mumbai license was to be changed to Bangalore address. I became a life member and approached AASI. They accepted it and said they will submit the application to the RTO. But with a caveat that if RTO Bangalore requires an NOC from Mumbai RTO, I will have to arrange for it from RTO Mumbai on my own.
When I asked if they can coordinate with WIAA of West, they expressed their helplessness that the AAs in India do not work together. Fortunately for me, I guess the Bangalore RTO asked for NOC directly from Mumbai RTO and my work got it done. It took two months though for my final license to come from Bangalore RTO by post.

ON AKS's query, yes, an NOC is required for changing address or re-issuing a DL in another state from where it was originally issued. But you can drive with this license anywhere in India, provided it is within the validity period and class of vehicle authorised to drive.
Old 6th December 2013, 11:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

I went to change the address of my Shillong issued DL at Indranagar RTO on 18 Oct 13. DL would expire on 6/14. Went to RTO with an application on plain paper and proof of address. There I went to the information desk and very politely was told the whole procedure and where to collect the forms etc. Went through the whole thing including photograph and fingerprinting. Total time taken 1 h 15 min. walked out with receipt valid till 18 Nov. However I went there on 18 Nov and was told it was under process and they re-validated the receipt till Mid Dec. I got the new KA DL on 5 Dec 13.

Most Viewed