Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2018, 10:33   #91
BHPian

Re: How to renew driving license issued in other state?

My driving license is up for renewal in a month. It is issued from Yeswantpur RTO, Bangalore and presently I reside in Chennai. I did contact an agent in chennai for renewal in KK Nagar RTO and he mentioned that NOC is mandatory for out of station license renewal.

Is it possible for getting NOC from Bangalore RTO via letter or do we need to submit the original license? Any experiences in getting NOC for DL in bangalore RTO will help!
Old 29th May 2018, 18:44   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
My driving license is up for renewal in a month. It is issued from Yeswantpur RTO, Bangalore and presently I reside in Chennai. I did contact an agent in chennai for renewal in KK Nagar RTO and he mentioned that NOC is mandatory for out of station license renewal.

Is it possible for getting NOC from Bangalore RTO via letter or do we need to submit the original license? Any experiences in getting NOC for DL in bangalore RTO will help!

I am in same situation as my DL is expiring in July-2018. As of now throughout India only few state RTO's are not online, while as majority are following Online process through SARATHI system. In order to have NOC, DL holder has to visit RTO for Biometrics. Apply for NOC online (https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/) and there itself submit all documents, select an appointment as per your schedule and then visit RTO for Biometrics. DL holder can collect NOC on same day with some request to ARTO.
In my case, I have applied for new License at BLR and will renew my old license once I visit my hometown.
aeroamit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 21:39   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroamit View Post
. Apply for NOC online (https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/) and there itself submit all documents, select an appointment as per your schedule and then visit RTO for Biometrics. .
My original license was issued in TN and it is in F/TN/05x/xxxxxx/YY format. I did have 4 wheeler endorsement in Karnataka, but my same license number was retained. I am unable to search this license in Parivahan website and so online request for NOC is not possible yet.

Anyone having luck with finding their old format licenses in parivahan website - Do we need to format the numbers in any other format to make it work?
Old 29th May 2018, 22:36   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case, I have applied for new License at BLR and will renew my old license once I visit my hometown.

This will cause two licenses to be issued for the same person. It is not allowed and SARATHI might detect it based on biometrics.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 11:54   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This will cause two licenses to be issued for the same person. It is not allowed and SARATHI might detect it based on biometrics.
biometrics? Yesterday I went for DL renewal and they didn't collect fingerprints.

I think NOC from any RTO office will do. In the NOC they mention the next RTO name for renewal and the centralized database does the job well.
Old 30th May 2018, 17:43   #96
BHPian

Quote:
I have not come across any such information that multiple DL cannot be applied for in different states. Would you please share the link of information source, it will help me further.
SARATHI has information of my current DL also and might have flagged as all details are same for Old & new applied license.
Old 30th May 2018, 23:20   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not come across any such information that multiple DL cannot be applied for in different states.

Law explicitly states that : https://indiankanoon.org/doc/865156/

Quote:
No person shall, while he holds any driving licence for the time being in force, hold any other driving licence except a learner’s licence

Courts have also passed judgements in such cases.

Quote:
driver of the offending vehicle was having two driving licenses, whereas, as per Section 3 of the Motor Vehilce Act, a driver cannot possess two driving licenses.

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/83887008/
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 17:21   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Law explicitly states that : https://indiankanoon.org/doc/865156/
Courts have also passed judgements in such cases.
https://indiankanoon.org/doc/83887008/

Thanks for the information. For me job is even simpler now. My Old DL issued at RTO LKO is valid till 08/07/2018 (20 years getting over) and by that time I will be having new DL issue from RTO BLR, as I applied for fresh through LL route. If I do not renew my Old DL then effectively I will be having one DL only, which should be legal as per provided links.
Old 31st May 2018, 18:09   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information. For me job is even simpler now. My Old DL issued at RTO LKO is valid till 08/07/2018 (20 years getting over) and by that time I will be having new DL issue from RTO BLR, as I applied for fresh through LL route. If I do not renew my Old DL then effectively I will be having one DL only, which should be legal as per provided links.
I am also thinking on exactly same lines. If I am not able to renew due to lack of NOC from Bangalore, planning to apply for LLR before my old license expires and then apply for new license from Chennai
Old 9th June 2018, 10:17   #100
Senior - BHPian

I had a query regarding the validity of the DL after it is renewed after the first 20 years. I got my DL renewed recently since it had reached 20 years and on the new DL, it shows valid for another 12 years.
From the looks of it, they have calculated from my DOB and not date of issue of the DL.

Is that correct?
Old 9th June 2018, 10:54   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I had a query regarding the validity of the DL after it is renewed after the first 20 years. I got my DL renewed recently since it had reached 20 years and on the new DL, it shows valid for another 12 years.
From the looks of it, they have calculated from my DOB and not date of issue of the DL.

Is that correct?
I think as per rto rules:

A licence is valid for 20 years from the date of issue or till the licence holders turns 50 years of age, whichever happens earlier. The driving licence is required to be renewed after expiry of its validity.
Old 9th June 2018, 11:13   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Can one person simultaneously have different DL from different states? Is it possible?

Does GOI have any integrated system that overlooks the drivers licence issue and renewals all over India?
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:28   #103
BHPian

Has anyone tried getting NOC from another state (for getting DL renewal in current state) using Sarathi service

Need to confirm if Issue of NOC - apply to State RTO would be current state+RTO (submit request to being older one ) ?

Also, I just wanted to know if its ok to get one's license renewed in older state, if that is his/her hometown and that address is a valid one, even if one is currently staying and working in other state ? The hassles are very less via that route and they just ask older DL (other docs have new state address but they are not required)
Old 2nd July 2018, 13:14   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Can one person simultaneously have different DL from different states? Is it possible?

Does GOI have any integrated system that overlooks the drivers licence issue and renewals all over India?
It is illegal for a person to simultaneously have more than one DL, whether from same state or different.

RTOs use a centralised system "Sarathi" [Link] to carry out all matters related to DLs. Its similar to "Vahan" system [Link] used for vehicle registrations.

Few days back, I was hearing a debate on TV, where a senior government officer shared that as of now only about 50 RTOs are not connected to Centralised system, but in process. (The debate was going about fitness certification of commercial vehicles).
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 19:53   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revention View Post
Has anyone tried getting NOC from another state (for getting DL renewal in current state) using Sarathi service

Need to confirm if Issue of NOC - apply to State RTO would be current state+RTO (submit request to being older one ) ?

Also, I just wanted to know if its ok to get one's license renewed in older state, if that is his/her hometown and that address is a valid one, even if one is currently staying and working in other state ? The hassles are very less via that route and they just ask older DL (other docs have new state address but they are not required)
The recent call to helpline solved my concern with apply to RTO being Karnataka RTO. But then I was told that I will need to personally visit the earlier state RTO anyways , after submitting the form !!!

Most Viewed