Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2021, 13:27   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to renew driving license issued in other state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Hello folks,

My DL is up for renewal soon. My current DL number issued in 2001 in TN is only 4 digits long: F/TN/010/XXXX/2001. Does anyone know what magic combination needs to be entered in the parivahan website? I followed the instructions and tried all the formats of TN10/2001/000XXXX (essentially made it a 7 digit number) but the website can't seem to find my record.
Even if you know the magic combination, you can’t proceed further if your details were not uploaded in the database from the issuing office. You need to contact your issuing office at the first place to know whether your details were uploaded or not.

If your details were uploaded, you will have to get the updated license number to apply for renewal in your present residing area for biometrics and photo capture.

In my case, I e-mailed the concerned the officer in Guwahati to get my details uploaded and after one month, got the new license number which was uploaded in the central database. There after, applied in my present state and got the new license done inside five days
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 09:38   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Having two license is illegal and It is not advisable to go to illegal way.
Hi, wanted clarity on one thing. I can understand that it may be illegal to hold two 'active' driving licenses. Is it not allowed to apply for a new license at another RTO if the previous one expired?

My license was issued from AP and it expired last month. While I am trying to figure out the modalities of renewing it from that RTO I am wondering if it is quicker to apply afresh here in Mumbai
Old 26th February 2021, 10:56   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skasse View Post
Hi, wanted clarity on one thing. I can understand that it may be illegal to hold two 'active' driving licenses. Is it not allowed to apply for a new license at another RTO if the previous one expired?

My license was issued from AP and it expired last month. While I am trying to figure out the modalities of renewing it from that RTO I am wondering if it is quicker to apply afresh here in Mumbai
I think it is illegal if you don't disclose your old license details even though it is expired, just like in the case of Passports. I followed ABHI_1512's suggestion above and emailed the concerned RTO to get my old license no. digitized on the parivahan website but they went unanswered. The local driving schools are asking atrocious amounts for 'renewal services' of DLs from another state.
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 13:58   #154

Quote:
I think it is illegal if you don't disclose your old license details even though it is expired, just like in the case of Passports.
Ok, makes sense.

Quote:
I followed ABHI_1512's suggestion above and emailed the concerned RTO to get my old license no. digitized on the parivahan website but they went unanswered.
I called the mobile number of the concerned person of the RTO published on AP Transport website. He was very cordial and helpful and is guiding me through the process. First there was some error in the office to which my DL was tagged apparently which he asked me to raise a ticket and that took 2 days to get corrected. After that I was needed to link my Aadhaar to the DL post which I can submit the renewal request digitally. That Aadhaar seeding request is under approval now. At this point I think I will go through the process and hopefully should not be an issue even if it takes a bit of time.
skasse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 22:51   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I think it is illegal if you don't disclose your old license details even though it is expired, just like in the case of Passports.
It's perfectly OK if you apply for fresh license in new state without getting old expired one updated in VAHAN system. However, in this case, you need to first apply for Learner DL and then apply for permanent DL (usually after 30days).

If you want, you may mention the old DL number in application (though this not mandatory requirement).

You may visit https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/ for making fresh application.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 10:49   #156

Quote:

First there was some error in the office to which my DL was tagged apparently which he asked me to raise a ticket and that took 2 days to get corrected. After that I was needed to link my Aadhaar to the DL post which I can submit the renewal request digitally.
Hi - Is there a way to raise ticket for this? I am in the same boat. Need to get my details uploaded online in Jharkhand. What DL post you are talking about? Is there a way to link Aadhar to that?

Thanks!
Old 11th March 2021, 13:32   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi
My DL is up for renewal soon. My current DL number issued in 2001 in TN is only 4 digits long: F/TN/010/XXXX/2001. Does anyone know what magic combination needs to be entered in the parivahan website? I followed the instructions and tried all the formats of TN10/2001/000XXXX (essentially made it a 7 digit number) but the website can't seem to find my record.
My wife's TN DL number is F/TN/001/XXXXXX/2001 - same year as yours. And hers also isn't in the parivahan website - looks like data entry not completed till that year.

My 1991 TN license though is listed on the site.
Old 11th March 2021, 19:48   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
My wife's TN DL number is F/TN/001/XXXXXX/2001 - same year as yours. And hers also isn't in the parivahan website - looks like data entry not completed till that year.

My 1991 TN license though is listed on the site.
Yes its unfortunate; I tried calling/emailing the Chennai RTO - no answer. Going by google reviews, unless you have filled everything online, it can become an unpleasant experience if you decide to approach them in person. Unless you opt for a 'paid' service from the local driving school or touts.
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:41   #159

Quote:
At this point I think I will go through the process and hopefully should not be an issue even if it takes a bit of time.
Thought I would update the status of my renewal here. After the initial hiccups, I finally managed to get my DL renewed online on the AP Transport's website.

First, for all online services, AP Government made seeding of Aadhaar to the DL mandatory. While I hate giving my Aadhaar willy nilly, the fact that I can't physically go to the RTO for renewal made the decision obvious. I then linked my Aadhaar to the DL and then applied for renewal. Everything is online wherein I uploaded the scanned copies of the proof of address along with Aadhaar authentication. The folks at the backend are quite responsive with typically responses in 1 or 2 days. There were some minor hiccups in the process but all-in-all relatively painless. I got a PDF version of approved Form 6 (Driving License) but apparently printing of smart cards has a backlog of several months!! So I will have to make do with the print out of this Form 6. Hope the cops in Maharashtra don't create trouble because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiwedy View Post
Hi - Is there a way to raise ticket for this? I am in the same boat. Need to get my details uploaded online in Jharkhand. What DL post you are talking about? Is there a way to link Aadhar to that?

Thanks!
Sorry, didn't see your post earlier. I was doing my renewal on AP transport website so not familiar with how it is for Jharkhand. Unfortunately, AP transport is not linked to the Central Government's Ministry of Transportation website/system and so everything is offered by AP on their website itself, including the Aadhaar seeding of the DL. For state governments who have their systems linked to the central government, you should be able to find the services available on the Parivahan website. Jharkhand seems to available on the site - https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sar...teSelection.do.

And the 'post' I used was to mean 'after' - not a postal post.
skasse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 18:37   #160
BHPian

Renewal of my license issued in 04/2001 in Mumbai along with Current Address Change to Bengaluru
(This is my experience at Koramangala RTO in Bengaluru and may differ for others).

My existing license was issued in 04/2001 in Mumbai and is due to expire later this month. Given that I have now been living in Bengaluru since 2012 and have no plans to move out of here, I figured it would be better to get both my address change and license renewed together.

Now all my previous visits to the RTO in Mumbai - whether for my Indian Driving License OR International Driver's Permits (IDP) - have always been through an agent who was the neighbourhood driving school. The RTO in Wadala in Mumbai was a nauseating place to go and figure out on one's own so going through an agent always facilitated things faster. This time around though, I'd been reading about how most things could be managed online so I hoped that Bengaluru (IT city and all) would offer a smoother process.

Last evening, I went to https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sar...teSelection.do, selected Karnataka as the state and was led to a page with multiple options.

The process of applying for a renewal is fairly simple as long as your existing license details have been updated on the Parivahan Sarathi Website by the RTO that issued your existing license. If you still carry a paper license (and not Smart card) for which the details may not be available, you can either ask the RTO that issued the previous license to make the update OR get an affidavit (I overheard this today at the RTO).

If your existing license details are available, the steps are pretty self explanatory and you can upload all your document proofs, photograph and signature too. The size of the photograph is a bit tricky to manage. Why they ask for a photograph & signature to be uploaded is beyond me because they take a picture of you there along with a digital sign anyway.

Once the documents are submitted, pay the fees (in my case it was Rs. 551.00 for both Renewal & Address Change together) and select an appointment with the nearest RTO to go submit the documents and get your picture and signature taken. My appointment was set for today with the slot 14:30 - 15:30hrs.

Given that we had recently moved into a rental apartment where I had no address proof apart from the rental agreement and Electricity Bill, I wasn't sure if I would run into troubles while applying both online and when reviewed by the officer at the RTO. Luckily, the portal accepted Electricity Bill as an address proof and my existing license as the Age Proof.

I carried the following documents with me today to Koramangala RTO (located on the 2nd Floor of the BDA complex) and arrived at 14:40hrs.

Appointment confirmation Letter
Fee Payment Receipt
DL Application Form (titled Form 2)
Form-1 (Self declaration of Medical conditions etc)
Copy of existing DL
Copy of Aadhar Card
Copy of Electricity Bill & Rental Agreement

If you are above 40 years of age, you will also need Form-1A which is similar to Form-1 but needs a Doctor's signature and stamp.

I went up to Room No. 12 and was told by a Superintendent that apart from the documents I had brought, I needed to also enclose an envelope with stamps worth Rs. 18 so that the renewed license could be mailed to me. I had not carried this with me but as is the case with all RTOs around India, below the building are a whole bunch of "service providers" who have everything from a doctor to a lawyer waiting to service the poor uninformed souls who chose to go independently. I paid 30 bucks for a pre-stamped envelope + pouch for my existing license and was all set with my documentation.

Please see image for reference.

Now that the documents were ready (took me approximately 10 min to sort the above out), I had to wait for the officer to come to review the documents. He was out for lunch. He finally came in at 15:20 at which point there were around 30 people waiting to see him. Naturally, the ones who came with agents were pushed forward. Since I was not in a pressing hurry and did not want to huddle up with a bunch of strangers, I sat down to wait my turn. In exactly, 10 min, the line diminished to around 4 people when I joined.

Once the officer reviewed by documents, I went into the next room where they took a picture and my signature on a digital pad. I had to pay Rs. 60 as charges for the "Smart Card" and got a receipt for it too. Once this was done, I had to go back to the Superintendent and submit the entire set of documents. And that is all! I understand that within 30 days the renewed license will be sent to my residence. The lady said that in case it did not arrive, I should keep the application number and check with the RTO in person.

Overall, once the officer arrived, the process took less than 30 min and I am pretty impressed with this. Instead of paying a few thousand bucks to the agent, the work takes around 15-20 more but is smooth. Will give an update after I get the new license.

How to renew driving license issued in other state?-54b4af096ed6467689dafae3d26fa877.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 19th May 2021 at 18:54. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
anandavinash is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 11:10   #161
Senior - BHPian

Other state (TN) driving license renewal in Kerala (KL-31 RTO)

Listing the process for other state license renewal at Kerala :

1) For licenses that exist in the Sarathi database (eg. my 1991 TN issued driving license) :

On Sarathi website, select the RTO/state in which your current address falls (Kerala for me), click on "DL Services" and follow the listed process (filling details, uploading relevant documents, paying the fees etc).

The progress can be monitored online on the Sarathi site, by entering the application number and DOB. You will also get SMS updates of status and any action needed from your side.

If everything is in order, you will be asked to drop the printed application, hard copy of uploaded documents & old original license at the RTO. That's all there is to it. The new license should be mailed to your address. Status of my application says "Printing done. Pending Despatch".

2) For licenses that don't exist in the Sarathi database (eg. my wife's 2001 TN issued driving license) :

Get a backlog entry form from the RTO (or nearest Akshaya Centre or shop), fill in the basic details requested about you & the current license. Attach your original license with the form & drop it in the dropbox kept at the RTO (Covid safety measure). My understanding is that they will add your license to the database and then the procedure mentioned above in (1) can be followed to renew the license. Dropped wife's license & filled-in backlog form at the RTO on Monday.

Since most licenses will be card type, stapling to the form isn't a possibility. Either you could drop them in an envelope or put the license in a small transparent plastic cover and staple the cover to the form.

P.S. : I had last year transferred my TN-10 Baleno to this RTO and the process was seamless without need for paying anything other than the prescribed fees. Mighty impressed with my KL-31 RTO.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:00   #162
Senior - BHPian

Re: Other state (TN) driving license renewal in Kerala (KL-31 RTO)

Quote:
If everything is in order, you will be asked to drop the printed application, hard copy of uploaded documents & old original license at the RTO. That's all there is to it. The new license should be mailed to your address.
I got my renewed license mailed to my address couple weeks ago. No human interaction, not a penny in agent charges or anything other than the prescribed fees.

PS; The only grouse I have is that while my wife's 2001 license itself was in smartcard form, my 2021 license is like a platform ticket (paper & thickness) that has been laminated. And to think they charged 200 odd for the license printing.
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:25   #163
BHPian

Wish I had seen your query earlier. Glad your DL is getting renewed whichever way. I have renewed it twice in A.P via agent since getting NOC and changing it to KA DL was not hassle free. I had to pay a visit each time though because my first one was issued in 1996 and digitized smartcard happened only in my last renewal.

BTW, AP DL data is linked to Sarathi now. Services are not yet integrated from A.P, Telangana and a few other states. For e.g you can fetch DL details in mParivahan app, even on sarathi for one of the license related services. I hope the NOC business goes away and I can renew it smoothly online next time.
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:49   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. : I had last year transferred my TN-10 Baleno to this RTO and the process was seamless without need for paying anything other than the prescribed fees. Mighty impressed with my KL-31 RTO.
Did you have to go to the TN RTO location for this? Was the vehicle required to be present too? If both answers are "no", then I'd appreciate it if you could PM me the process you followed!

I have a KA registered car, which is nearing its 15 years lifespan. I wanted to transfer it to KL-22 RTO without me and the car going to KA RTO. As per my research, it is an impossible feat.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd April 2021 at 17:51.
Old 23rd April 2021, 20:14   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Did you have to go to the TN RTO location for this? Was the vehicle required to be present too? If both answers are "no", then I'd appreciate it if you could PM me the process you followed!
I did have to go to TN RTO, though knowing how things are in our country, an agent/friend might also be able to get it done.
I did not need to take the vehicle to get NOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have a KA registered car, which is nearing its 15 years lifespan. I wanted to transfer it to KL-22 RTO without me and the car going to KA RTO. As per my research, it is an impossible feat.
The process I followed for TN->KL is at this link. I don't know how it is at KA - friends/tbhpians should be able to help.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4972748 (Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.)

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 23rd April 2021 at 20:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks