Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 12:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to renew driving license issued in other state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I got the new KA DL on 5 Dec 13.
Mate,
Does the Renewals add 5 years to your validity? How different would it have been if you had obtained a new DL which might come with 15 or 20 years which might save you those 3 or 4 additional trips to RTO?

My 2 cents though
Old 6th December 2013, 13:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

No the renewals don't change the expiry date of the old DL. only your address changes. You are right I could have gone for a new DL but then I would have to go through the whole process of learners, med test, driving test etc. This way I went there only twice and it was hassle free. the new DL came by speed post.
Old 8th January 2014, 18:00   #48
BHPian

Does anybody know how long does the delivery of a new driving license take, in Mumbai, or otherwise? My brother had completed all formalities about 20 days back, and is still expecting the license.
Old 6th February 2014, 18:45   #49
BHPian

Not sure if I can expect a reply from this thread ages old! I have two queries:
1. I have a paper-type driving licence issued in state X. Will this be accepted in state Y?
2. If I get the paper type driving licence converted into electronic format in state X itself, can I use it in state Y?
Old 6th February 2014, 19:16   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
Not sure if I can expect a reply from this thread ages old! I have two queries:
1. I have a paper-type driving licence issued in state X. Will this be accepted in state Y?

Yes. I have a book type driving licence issued in Mumbai and have showed it to cops in Bangalore & Kerala as recent as two months ago. They have flipped the pages, checked expiry and handed it over without a word.

2. If I get the paper type driving licence converted into electronic format in state X itself, can I use it in state Y?
A licence issued in any state is valid across India.

Last edited by pariwar : 6th February 2014 at 19:19. Reason: Mods please delete the double post, happened in a brief moment when access to portal went haywire
Old 6th February 2014, 19:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

For me it took around a month for the new MH license to come. There was some confusion in the RTO office after that since my license number started with KA (instead of MH).
But finally they discussed and agreed that it is correct that the license number will bear the code of state which gives you the initial license.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 13:29   #52
BHPian

Hi All, I have a UP DL, valid till 2019 but is pretty damaged due to back-pocket, so wanted to take a fresh one from Pune RTO, instead of UP, as I have permanent residence here in Pune now.

When I had inquired earlier through one of Driving school agents, I was told I will have to apply for Learner's permit first and then, after 1 month, go for a driving test and apply for actual license.

This was before the new online process at Pune RTO was implemented. (sarathi.nic.in)

So, now, i want to know what is the process ? Do i actually have to apply for a Learner's permit first ?? Anyone having some information ?

from the above discussion, it seems DL from other state can be renewed/re-issued in other states.

and has anybody have had any experience with the online process at Pune RTO, especially with applying for Driving License ?
Old 30th December 2014, 09:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit0103 View Post
Hi All, I have a UP DL, valid till 2019 but is pretty damaged due to back-pocket, so wanted to take a fresh one from Pune RTO, instead of UP, as I have permanent residence here in Pune now.

When I had inquired earlier through one of Driving school agents, I was told I will have to apply for Learner's permit first and then, after 1 month, go for a driving test and apply for actual license.
It is illegal for you to possess license from 2 different states at the same time.
AFAIK, the route you should take would be to obtain an NOC for the DL from UP and get it registered with the Pune RTO.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 13:01   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
It is illegal for you to possess license from 2 different states at the same time.
AFAIK, the route you should take would be to obtain an NOC for the DL from UP and get it registered with the Pune RTO.
I can't go back to the RTO it was issued as we were in a transferable service and it is very far away, not even my native place.

So, should I wait till it expires ? that piece of card is already crumbling.
In some time, I will only have pieces left.

And as you mentioned, I cant renew without NOC from prev RTO, neither apply for new DL in Pune, since earlier one has not expired.

Although, illegal or not, not sure if anyone if going to verify the prev DL, if I apply for new one in MH RTO.
Old 30th December 2014, 13:36   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit0103 View Post
I can't go back to the RTO it was issued as we were in a transferable service and it is very far away, not even my native place.

So, should I wait till it expires ? that piece of card is already crumbling.
In some time, I will only have pieces left.

And as you mentioned, I cant renew without NOC from prev RTO, neither apply for new DL in Pune, since earlier one has not expired.

Although, illegal or not, not sure if anyone if going to verify the prev DL, if I apply for new one in MH RTO.
File a lost or destroyed DL related FIR/Station Diary with the local police clearly mentioning that while license was issued in State X you do not have the DL No. with you anymore. Get an acknowledged copy of it and preserve it with you. You can always apply for a new DL in this case.
Zappo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 18:30   #56
BHPian

Just Got another state license renewed in Delhi. Had to follow the normal renew procedure, the only difference being Delhi RTO sent a request for a 'No Objection' to the other RTO by post. Maximum time period for wait is one month after which if no response is received it is assumed the other RTO has no objection (this was the case for me as no response came back).

This is also mentioned on the delhi transport site
http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/conn...riving+Licence

The reason I stumbled upon this thread was the license now has 'R' written in the top right corner attaching a sample file from google where the same place has the letter 'N' written. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-r_FwRJ1Kg1...00/License.jpg

I am assuming N means new and R renew, though it bit concerned if it means restricted. Any idea?
Old 20th April 2015, 13:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Is it "illegal" to have a driving license issued in one state and to get a new Driving license in another state? I urgently need a driving license with my Bangalore address so that I can get an International Driving license. This is because of the rule that the IDL has to have the same address as the Passport?

If so, how many days does it take to get one in Bangalore? I stay in Koramangala. Can someone help.

EDIT - Ok - I see you guys mention that it is indeed illegal to have 2 DL. Will see if I can get the NOC from my local RTO.

Last edited by naveenroy : 20th April 2015 at 13:52.
Old 21st April 2015, 14:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Checked in Coimbatore as my license expires in October. I am supposed to get an NOC from Bangalore RTO and then file for renewal here in September.
Old 27th June 2015, 12:50   #59
BHPian

A slightly off-topic question, but relevant:

1. My friend has a 4-wheeler license issued from a non-Bangalore RTO (KA-25 or 27 or so - not exactly sure) which is valid for use right now.
2. She wants to apply for a 2-wheeler license in Bangalore now (shortly, once back here).

Suggestion given was to go & apply where you got your earlier license since it is your hometown & much easier. I thought I can find the needed information online, but could not :(

I guess it is illegal to apply for a 2nd independent license in a different RTO as there should be only 1 single driving license for an individual - as confirmed by above comments.

Does she have to get her 4-wheeler license transferred to Bangalore RTO first and then apply? Anyone been through this situation? Pl. explain.
Old 27th June 2015, 14:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
A slightly off-topic question, but relevant:

1. My friend has a 4-wheeler license issued from a non-Bangalore RTO (KA-25 or 27 or so - not exactly sure) which is valid for use right now.
2. She wants to apply for a 2-wheeler license in Bangalore now (shortly, once back here).

Suggestion given was to go & apply where you got your earlier license since it is your hometown & much easier. I thought I can find the needed information online, but could not :(

I guess it is illegal to apply for a 2nd independent license in a different RTO as there should be only 1 single driving license for an individual - as confirmed by above comments.

Does she have to get her 4-wheeler license transferred to Bangalore RTO first and then apply? Anyone been through this situation? Pl. explain.
Yes it is illegal to have two licenses. If you need a 2 wheeler license in addition to 4 wheeler you already have all you need to do is give a driving/riding test of 2 wheeler and if you pass the 2 wheeler will also be endorsed in the 4 wheeler license you have. Actually the 4 wheeler license need to be surrendered on clearing the 2 wheeler test and a combined license will be sent to you.

Most Viewed