Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 15:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to renew driving license issued in other state?

Urgent help needed. My wife driving license which was issued from Assam has expired in may this year and we just realized it. Now we live in Delhi so needs to get the license renewed from Delhi. When we contacted few agents to know the procedure, we got different answers.

Some say we would need to apply afresh with first Learner license being issued.
Others said we can show our permanent address here in Delhi and apply showing we shifted, in which case we will get permanent license instead of learner.

Which one is correct? We have permanent address for Delhi which is also there in passport.
Old 9th December 2015, 16:06   #62
BHPian

Dear Forum Members,

I thought it is worth sharing the experience of renewing my driving license here in Bengaluru (KA-51 RTO). Hopefully, it will help people avoid paying huge amounts to these "Driving Schools" who now double up as agents for getting RTO work done.

When I inquired initially, the driving school near my home mentioned charges between Rs. 3000/- to 5000/- for renewing my
license that was expiring mid-November as I turned 50 years. Also, as my DL (Driving License) was issued in Chennai, charges were higher because it was an out-of-state case.

I decided to try doing the renewal on my own as I had the advantage of knowing the local language. Here is the process -

1. Confirm the RTO office jurisdiction - depends on the address proof being furnished. Mine was the Electronics City office - KA-51.

2. On checking at the RTO office, I was informed that I needed to get a NOC (No Objection Letter) from the RTO that issued the license initially (Chennai North-West - TN-02 in my case).
a. If it is not possible to go to the issuing RTO physically, send a letter requesting for NOC. Please send it using either India Post's Registered Post with Acknowledgement Due or through Speed Post with Acknowledgement Due. You will receive the acknowledgement confirming that the letter has been received by the RTO (that issued the license).
b. Retain the following -
i. Copy of the NOC request letter
ii. The acknowledgement slip/card that you received via regular post/mail

3. The following is the checklist for renewing license (these forms are downloadable from Karnataka RTO website - http://rto.kar.nic.in) -
a. License Renewal Form (CMV Form-9)
b. Filled up and Self Attested Fitness declaration - (CMV Form-1)
c. Medical Certificate from State Govt. recognized medical practitioner - (CMV Form-1A). I got mine from the Arakere Govt. Hospital/Primary Healthcare Center - the doctor issued the certificate without a fuss. A Rs. 50/- fee is all that I paid. I am unsure if that is official - no receipt was provided. Considering the amount and the fact that the process itself was very smooth and short duration, I did not insist on a receipt.
d. Change of address form - available in the petty shops near the RTO office premises. Alternatively, one can write to the RTO officer on a plain sheet of paper
e. Outside State RTO NOC - from the office that issued the license OR
i. Copy of letter sent to the respective RTO requesting for NOC
ii. Acknowledgement slip/card of the letter sent to the license issuing RTO
f. Plastic sealable cover that can hold the credit card sized license or the old license book - typically available in the petty shops near the RTO premises
g. Self addressed stamped envelope (it was Rs. 17/- for me) that will be used to mail the new license by the RTO - available in the petty shops near the RTO premises
h. Address and ID proof document copy - Passport/Aadhar card or other document as permissible. I used my passport. Please carry the original that will be scrutinized by the officer during the application process

4. When all documents are in place, go to the RTO and ask for the DL Renewal section - the official will scrutinize the documents and inform you the fees to be paid - in my case it was Rs. 370/- (DL Renewal + Smart Card fee + Change of Address fee). The official will also indicate the counters that need to be visited. The workflow is generally as follows -
a. Payment of required fees at the cash counter. Please attach the receipt (and its copy) with the other documents. Secure all of them using a tag/staple to ensure no loose sheets are present. Any loss of a document sends you back to square one literally!
b. Scrutiny of the documents - by a designated officer
c. Biometrics - photo and left thumb print is taken.
d. Entry of key data - existing/expired license details, new address, class of vehicle for which renewal is being sought, etc.
d. Finally the application form and all supporting documents including the expired/to expire license in original need to be submitted to an official who hands out an acknowledgement slip. RETAIN THE SLIP UNTIL THE NEW LICENSE IS RECEIVED.

In my case, I was informed that the wait will be for about 45 days before I receive the new license. Until then, my license is the acknowledgement slip that says I have applied for a new license.

Including the postage amount, it costed me about Rs. 500/- to complete the license renewal process - of course, almost a full working day had to be set aside for this.

Parting thoughts - in contrast to the perception that it will be a painful process, I was pleasantly surprised! The officials were cooperative and conversed in Hindi and English besides Kannada. So, it should not be a major issue for people who dont know the local language - knowing it though helps a lot.

If one is able to invest a little time and find out the process ahead, it will help greatly in avoiding waste of time and unnecessary headaches.

Hope this is useful.

Thanks,

Ramas.
ramassrs is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 20:33   #63
BHPian

My license was issued in Mysore RTO in 2004. It was in booklet form. Got it converted to smart card in KR Puram Bangalore RTO. Also address has been updated to the Bangalore address. I had applied on 24th Nov and received the license today. I went through an agent and it costed me Rs. 1000/- in all.
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 10:13   #64
BHPian

Dear Ramas,

Thanks for posting this. I am in a similar quandry and need an NOC from the original lecensing authority. Is there any standard format for seeking NOC from the earlier RTO?

I am unable to find any such standard format on the net. If you have format, kindly share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramassrs View Post
2. On checking at the RTO office, I was informed that I needed to get a NOC (No Objection Letter) from the RTO that issued the license initially (Chennai North-West - TN-02 in my case).
a. If it is not possible to go to the issuing RTO physically, send a letter requesting for NOC. Please send it using either India Post's Registered Post with Acknowledgement Due or through Speed Post with Acknowledgement Due. You will receive the acknowledgement confirming that the letter has been received by the RTO (that issued the license).
b. Retain the following -
i. Copy of the NOC request letter
ii. The acknowledgement slip/card that you received via regular post/mail
Old 12th January 2016, 15:59   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Dear Ramas,

Thanks for posting this. I am in a similar quandry and need an NOC from the original lecensing authority. Is there any standard format for seeking NOC from the earlier RTO?

I am unable to find any such standard format on the net. If you have format, kindly share.
Hi,
I dont have any specific format. I wrote a letter on plain paper requesting the license issuing RTO office to send a NOC. Do remember to enclose a self addressed stamped envelope - that will prevent another excuse from their side (I forgot to do it - not that it mattered; there is still no guarantee that one will get the NOC).
Old 23rd January 2016, 17:19   #66
BHPian

Dear Members,

As an update to my earlier port on 9th-Dec-2015, I received my renewed license today. I was pleasantly surprised because the RTO department mentioned it would take around 45 days from date of application to receive the renewed license.

They actually did meet that timeline!!!

The only odd part is that they have retained the same license number as issued for my initial license in Tamil Nadu. That is standard policy I guess as I didn't have to give any test (written or road test) for the renewal.

It is a welcome sign that government services like RTO in Karnataka are improving - I trust that experience would be similar in other Karnataka State RTOs as well.

Thanks,

Ramas.
Old 23rd January 2016, 23:33   #67
BHPian

I got my book driving license issued in Bihar converted to Card driving license in Hyderabad in 2004 as a part of obtaining an international driving license for UK. The card license I got has AP number.

Now, my license will expire in a few months and I need to start the process for getting it renewed. Hope the process isn't too tedious.
Old 21st April 2016, 18:01   #68

I have a 2004-issued booklet type DL from Mumbai. I have since then moved my residence to another RTO jurisdiction within Mumbai, and want to update my booklet license to smart card.

I applied online on the Sarathi website for the "Transactions on Driving Licence" service on April 5, 2016. As of now, the status of the application shows "Your application is yet to be made available to the respective RTO." So, I'm not really sure if that'll ever go through!

I then thought of getting it done through an agent & inquired with a few of them about their "charges", which ranged from Rs. 1500-2800. But the thought of paying a bribe was not appealing to me.

So here's what I'm planning to do:
I've signed up for a WIAA membership today, and hope to get their help in getting this done without paying a bribe.
A wrinkle here which I hope to get ironed out - my name on the DL is as per the South Indian naming convention (Initials followed by first name), whereas the name on all my current documents (PAN, Aadhaar, Passport) is more standardised (Firstname Lastname). Wondering whether expansion & transposition of the initial will cause trouble. Hope not! Got my passport updated for the same change last week.

Wish me luck folks!
Old 18th July 2016, 13:08   #69
BHPian

Folks. Need some help / advice for my driving license.

I have a license issued in 2002 from Nashik (Maharashtra) as I had business there back in the day.

However, I am now totally based in Mumbai and want to get my DL transferred as I want to apply for international DL next year and also want the proper address reflected in the DL.

An option is to get a new DL issued in Mumbai but before that wanted to check if someone could guide me on the process for transfer within the same state. New DL in Mumbai is apparently taking months on end to be issued as transfer seems like an easier option.

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th July 2016, 15:40   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Folks. Need some help / advice for my driving license.

I have a license issued in 2002 from Nashik (Maharashtra) as I had business there back in the day.

What you will need:
1. NOC from Nashik RTO for transfer of license - it should be easy to get in couple of hours. You can send anybody with a signed request letter on plain paper towards issue of NOC for transfer, a very minimal fees is to be paid at counter.

Primarily, if you get the above, then you can get rest of the process done by self or agent at the respective Mumbai RTO office.

2. Address Change form (also used as addendum for Renewal/Duplicate application) - Form with Blocks
3. Address Change letter to RTO
4. Confirmation of NOC letter from Old RTO - in duplicate
5. Medical Certificate Form 1A, from RTO certified doc - usually available in vicinity of RTO premises, charge about Rs 50/-
6. passport photos alongwith original DL

2-4 are generally not available at RTO offices, get them from photocopy shops in the vicinity of RTO

Once you have the above and filled up, go upto fees counter where they will verify and ask to get order from RTO officer on those forms.

Remember to get order (essentially sign of RTO officer) on all those forms/letters.

Pay up the requisite fees at counter by submitting whole bunch alongwith original DL. It costed me about Rs 433 for DL renewal with transfer from other RTO. Keep a copy of all docs submitted before finally submitting to the counter.

Get the receipt which is the DL substitute upto you get new DL.

Get the biometrics done at respective counter.

The process of finally issuing the DL should take anywhere from 15-90 days upto which the DL receipt is valid.

However, note:
After submitting application, it is better to get the 4 above stamped from original RTO by self and submitted back to the new RTO for efficient and swift process. Otherwise, there can be (and usually are) issues in RTO internal process for getting such (NOC) cases processed, not due to our mistakes. It doesn't take them long to put such cases in backlog and give lackluster answers. I personally had to bear the brunt of this due to their lax attitudes and processes. After I gave the officer some gyan on how common citizens are troubled and agents get through, it was delivered within 10 days without even point 4.

The whole process can take atmost 2-3 hours at RTO owing to Qs.

An agent may be able to do faster at much higher costs, especially citing out of town NOC case.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 13:18   #71
BHPian

Thanks for your detailed reply. I was trying to find someone in Nashik and Mumbai RTOs to get the work done and hence the delay in responding back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
What you will need:
1. NOC from Nashik RTO for transfer of license - it should be easy to get in couple of hours. You can send anybody with a signed request letter on plain paper towards issue of NOC for transfer, a very minimal fees is to be paid at counter.
For Nashik RTO, I have managed to catch an agent who will get this done for Rs 500. I guess for the convenience of my visit being avoided, it’s worth the money.

Quote:
Pay up the requisite fees at counter by submitting whole bunch alongwith original DL. It costed me about Rs 433 for DL renewal with transfer from other RTO. Keep a copy of all docs submitted before finally submitting to the counter.
The Nashik RTO agent has asked for my original DL, application, 1 photo and transfer RTO. My question is that does the original DL get submitted in Nashik RTO? If that’s the case, how do I drive in the interim period? Will they cancel the DL and handover back to me? You have mentioned that original needs to be submitted in Mumbai?

Quote:
Primarily, if you get the above, then you can get rest of the process done by self or agent at the respective Mumbai RTO office.
I have found an agent in the Andheri RTO and will start once the Nashik work is done. Probably will bother you again with my findings!

Quote:
However, note:
After submitting application, it is better to get the 4 above stamped from original RTO by self and submitted back to the new RTO for efficient and swift process.
I guess keeping an agent in Mumbai will make this process swifter. Someone has asked for Rs 1300 and I guess it might be worth paying around Rs 1000. The official fees you mentioned is anyway Rs 450 so not much of a difference vis-à-vis opportunity cost on the time spent!
Old 21st July 2016, 13:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
For Nashik RTO, I have managed to catch an agent who will get this done for Rs 500. I guess for the convenience of my visit being avoided, it’s worth the money.
Makes sense, unless you have any relative there who can go personally. My father did it for me at my earlier Nagpur RTO from where I transferred to Mumbai.

Quote:
The Nashik RTO agent has asked for my original DL, application, 1 photo and transfer RTO. My question is that does the original DL get submitted in Nashik RTO? If that’s the case, how do I drive in the interim period? Will they cancel the DL and handover back to me? You have mentioned that original needs to be submitted in Mumbai?
Not at all. The original DL was not at all required, it was always with me. Just a self-attested DL photocopy accompanied by the covering hand written signed letter, not even photograph, was all that was needed and my father readily got it in afternoon visit after submitting in morning.

Anyways, the DL information should now be computerized and should be available at all RTOs. They were able to get information for my DL with simple entry of DL no and automated NOC was generated. Just that it was for my renewal and yours is for transfer, but essentially same process.

Same should be case at Nashik. Just reason a bit with him. Otherwise, call directly on Nashik RTO line and ask for information, and then deal with agent. They do talk nicely if the line connects.

Quote:
I have found an agent in the Andheri RTO and will start once the Nashik work is done. Probably will bother you again with my findings!

I guess keeping an agent in Mumbai will make this process swifter. Someone has asked for Rs 1300 and I guess it might be worth paying around Rs 1000. The official fees you mentioned is anyway Rs 450 so not much of a difference vis-à-vis opportunity cost on the time spent!
Makes sense. Charges are ok, not exorbitant, otherwise I have heard 2000+ charges as well.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 15:08   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Forum Members,

I thought it is worth sharing the experience of renewing my driving license here in Bengaluru (KA-51 RTO). Hopefully, it will help people avoid paying huge amounts to these "Driving Schools" who now double up as agents for getting RTO work done.
They made it mandatory to have the NOC from DL issued RTO for the renewal of outstation DLs. They did not accept the application with the acknowledgement and said will accept only with the NoC.

I was able to get the NOC from Kerala RTO and submitted the application today, they said it would take 60 working days for the issuance.

Agents were asking for 4500 To 6000 for the renewal, it cost me INR 850 including courier charges for the NoC for the renewal.

NoC Fees (via agent) - 150
Courier Charges - 200
Application forms and Self addressed cover - 40
Doctor Fees - 100 (there is a doctor at the basement of Indiranagar BDA complex, he would also provide the application forms etc, I was not aware)
DL Renewal Fees - 270 (Bike with gear and LMV)
Parking and other misc - 90

Total - 850.00

Visit on a working day, queues are much shorter and peaceful.
RSimonS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 17:26   #74
BHPian

Quote:
a. If it is not possible to go to the issuing RTO physically, send a letter requesting for NOC. Please send it using either India Post's Registered Post with Acknowledgement Due or through Speed Post with Acknowledgement Due.

Thanks,
Ramas.
I reside in Bangalore and my driving license is from Coimbatore RTO which will be expiring on Feb 2017. Hence I intend to request for NoC from the Coimbatore RTO and will enclose a stamped self addressed cover and will send through Speed post / Registered post with acknowledgment due. What is the amount that I need to enclose in the cover towards the issue of NoC?
Old 15th November 2016, 22:18   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
I reside in Bangalore and my driving license is from Coimbatore RTO which will be expiring on Feb 2017. Hence I intend to request for NoC from the Coimbatore RTO and will enclose a stamped self addressed cover and will send through Speed post / Registered post with acknowledgment due. What is the amount that I need to enclose in the cover towards the issue of NoC?
Called up a driving school at Coimbatore for assistance in getting the NoC (for renewing the expiring driving license) from the Coimbatore RTO and he was all willing to do it. Time needed was 2-3 days and his "charge" was Rs 700/- which included the courier charges for the documents. Felt the rate was too high and hence looking for alternate options.

I had sent an email to the official email ID of the Coimbatore RTO regarding the applicable charges for the NoC and waiting for the reply. In all probability it would remain unanswered.

Last edited by bhandary : 15th November 2016 at 22:26. Reason: Added another info

Most Viewed