Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2016, 00:06   #301
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Best to simply stick to the grade recommended in the owner's manual.
Thanks for the advice but none of the service center is using the recommended 5w30 grade. I went to one A.S.S for a free check up this weekend and saw that they are using Nissan Genuine 10w30 semi-synthetic diesel engine oil from Shell. I had earlier assumed it to be mineral because it costs just 1250 rupees for 4.5 lts.

Quote:
Nope. I don't think it's a good idea to move to synthetic after so many km. It's not a high-revving engine anyway (even my Sunny uses regular mineral oil). Just ensure you stick to properly timed oil change intervals . This engine is known to last 2 - 3 lakh km with the right maintenance.
I went through your ownership report and found 15w40 being used. So now I'm more confused whether to use 15w40 mineral (as service center 1) or 10w30 semi-synthetic (as service center 2) or the recommended 5w30 grade in semi-synthetic.
I've planned to change the engine oil, oil filter and air filter every 5000 kms and carry out the rest scheduled changes (cabin filter, diesel fuel filter) every 10000 kms as before from 90k service onwards.

My apologies to bother you again with the same queries.

Regards.
Old 14th December 2016, 00:15   #302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
So now I'm more confused whether to use 15w40 mineral (as service center 1) or 10w30 semi-synthetic (as service center 2) or the recommended 5w30 grade in semi-synthetic.

I've planned to change the engine oil, oil filter and air filter every 5000 kms
If I can answer,

Since the oil change would be done every 5K kms, why not stick to mineral oil as with my experience so far on my older car Ritz VDi (1.3L MJD), mineral would be best till 5K kms post that it used to get rough.

So what I will suggest is, get mineral oil (15W40) and chang it every 5K kms along with air + oil filter. Why spend so much for synthetic oil!
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 00:27   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
So what I will suggest is, get mineral oil (15W40) and chang it every 5K kms along with air + oil filter. Why spend so much for synthetic oil!
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not planning to move to synthetic, as suggested by GTO, after running almost 87k on mineral and semi-synth . May i go for Mobil Delvac MX 15w40? Post service, sedate driving fetches almost 19kmpl without ac so that would easily compensate for the extra service cost as well.
Old 14th December 2016, 00:33   #304
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
May i go for Mobil Delvac MX 15w40?
Yes sir, that is a good oil for diesel engines.

Try it
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 00:36   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir, that is a good oil for diesel engines.

Try it
Thanks a lot.
I would try it out and post my observation.

Regards.
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:57   #306
BHPian

Hi GTO. How many km did your Sunny cover? Mine has crossed 40k and as part of the service, they are asking to replace the timing belt (6.2K) and drive belt (2K). Thought the timing belt should have had a longer life?
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:31   #307
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Hi GTO. How many km did your Sunny cover? Mine has crossed 40k and as part of the service, they are asking to replace the timing belt (6.2K) and drive belt (2K). Thought the timing belt should have had a longer life?
What does the owners manual say?

It must be having some kind of limit for the belts. Check that before handing the car for service. Don't blindly go by what these SA's say.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 23:17   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rosh, I've got a Nissan Micra and during the 4th year schedule servicing, the timing belt assembly was replaced. My car had run 79000 kms by that time so both the time and mileage figures matched with the schedule. The total service cost for the 4th year is quite high; labour charges are around 5000 rupees and the timing belt assembly costs around 8000. Gear oil and coolant are two additional consumables that will be replaced this time. This will be the end of your extended warranty as well so please get a thorough inspection done and if required get any faulty part replaced under warranty. The rear wheel bearings in my car were replaced free after I insisted to check whether warranty is applicable or not; initially they were reluctant but I asked them to apply for a warranty claim and luckily it got approved, so saved around 2000.

Quote:
What does the owners manual say?
Hi Anurag, the service manual states a timing belt replacement at 4 yrs / 80000 kms.
rupdeb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 23:24   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mine has crossed 40k and as part of the service, they are asking to replace the timing belt (6.2K) and drive belt (2K). Thought the timing belt should have had a longer life?
How old is your car? Timing belt replacement recommendation is at 80k km (or 4 years which ever is earlier) If your car is less than 4 year old, ask the dealer for any revision in service bulletin. If they still insist without proper explanation, PM me. I will guide you how to proceed further.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 13:33   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

The same happened in my case too. My car had only covered around 50k kms in 4 years and they wanted to change the timing belt. I had declined at that time since it doesn't make sense to me when Toyota recommends timing belt replacement at 1.5L kms, then why should the same component in Nissan need replacement in exactly half of that criterion. My car will complete its 5th year this April and has now run 62k kms. I would get the timing belt replaced at 80k kms only whenever that mark is reached. This service interval of 6 months/10k km interval is a scam that is being done by Nissan to enable its dealers to earn more money.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 13:43   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
If they still insist without proper explanation, PM me. I will guide you how to proceed further.
Please post it on the forum. A PM may help a member, a post helps many of them, especially those who aren't a part of the forum.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 15:44   #312
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I had declined at that time since it doesn't make sense to me when Toyota recommends timing belt replacement at 1.5L kms, then why should the same component in Nissan need replacement in exactly half of that criterion.
Stick with the recommendation in the owner's manual. Each engine has its own unique requirements . Plus, I doubt that Nissan's part quality will be as good as Toyota's.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 19:10   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Stick with the recommendation in the owner's manual. Each engine has its own unique requirements . Plus, I doubt that Nissan's part quality will be as good as Toyota's.
I do follow them but I follow the km recommendations and not the 6 monthly time intervals. So will get the timing belt changed at 80k kms as per the manual.
Old 7th February 2017, 22:57   #314
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just wanted to update here that an idiot crashed my Sunny - link to post.
Old 8th February 2017, 00:11   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to update here that an idiot crashed my Sunny - link to post.
As mentioned by you in the post, better use Uber Hire service, than hand keys of your car to an unknown entity.

I am guessing its being done using insurance. Is DriveU covering any of the costs?

PS: On a side note, if you had to buy a car today with same set of requirements, which one will you get? My parents are on the lookout for a car, and their requirement quite match yours, and I am tilting towards recommending Ciaz.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks