Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 11:44   #181
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Cool. This update made me check on my Micra and it is there too and I never knew! A useful feature and Nissan never talked about it. It stays on for 30 sec.

Quote:
The next 10k kms took another 9 months. Did the beater's task got switched with anything else from your garage?
Naah, running came down because Dad starting doing dialysis at home (earlier 15 km round trip) and Brother moved his office closer to home (8 km round trip vs 28 earlier).

Further, because of the light build, we've stopped taking the Sunny out on the Highway. At least not as frequently as before.

Quote:
And BTW GTO, does your Sunny fall in the June 2012 - April 2013 category for the brake master cylinder replacement? Please do update any further information you come across on this.
Sure does! Already placed a request with the dealership. They'll be calling the car in once the part is ready for fitment.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 17:54   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
In diesel engines, the black smoke appears when they are revved up, not in normal operations. So in ghaats we see a lot of black smoke emitting vehicles simply because they are revved a lot, while pressing the clutch. This car might have been run by someone who drives like ST drivers, revving merrily before starting and stopping. Pls check few other Sunny examples before coming to a conclusion.
Actually on my BIL's sunny, the white bumper over the exhaust pipe turns black from the soot/smoke.He has to clean that area regularly to avoid the eye-sore.Then I noticed on the Scala, that area is painted black. eyesore hidden!
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse-sunnygz2.jpg  

Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse-renaultscalasedanforindiarevealed_4.jpg  

nijelj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 20:02   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Further, because of the light build, we've stopped taking the Sunny out on the Highway. At least not as frequently as before.
Any build issues as compared to japenese compatriots as well or the build is light only when comparing to german cars?

Last edited by gupta_chd : 30th May 2013 at 20:04.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:20   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO - Forgot you owned the Sunny. I am looking to replace two of our company's NHC CVTs that have been around for almost a decade.
Not looking for a diesel as running is low and they are self driven hence automatic is important. Budget is approx 10 lakhs, hence it's between the Sunny CVT and Amaze AT.
Whats important: FE, ease of maintenance, snob value(equal or better than city)
Whats not important: Power, boot space, backseat,highway manners

Which one would you recommend based on the above?

Last edited by Sahil : 30th May 2013 at 20:26.
Old 30th May 2013, 21:13   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Actually on my BIL's sunny, the white bumper over the exhaust pipe turns black from the soot/smoke.He has to clean that area regularly to avoid the eye-sore.
Tell him to buy a muffler cutter. Problem solved.
Old 31st May 2013, 20:23   #186
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Any build issues as compared to japenese compatriots as well or the build is light only when comparing to german cars?
Well, it's wafer thin build & light highway dynamics don't inspire confidence. The Nissan Versa (aka Sunny) scored merely 3 stars (frontal / side) in the NHTSA USA safety tests. And that's with more airbags!

I'd rather drive a car on the Highway which has a proven safety record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Budget is approx 10 lakhs, hence it's between the Sunny CVT and Amaze AT.
As backseat space isn't important, that immediately rules out the Sunny. I'd recommend the Amaze or Dzire. You MUST also take a spin in the i20 AT.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 15:07   #187
BHPian

Congrats GTO

I wonder how do you manage to run so much in your sunny after having these many options of car at home and of course with test drive cars you are usually provided with. This is some serious milemunching.

How do you compare the Sunny with the new Amaze in terms of driveability and as an overall package ?
Would you have opted for Amaze over Sunny if you had an option then ?
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:56   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post

Actually on my BIL's sunny, the white bumper over the exhaust pipe turns black from the soot/smoke.He has to clean that area regularly to avoid the eye-sore.
He had told Nissan service ppl about the smoke.They told him to come so that they could 'reprogram' the ECU. He did a kottayam-blr-kottayam and couldn't find the black spotting anymore.So solved.
Old 4th June 2013, 10:15   #189
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
How do you compare the Sunny with the new Amaze in terms of driveability and as an overall package ?
Would you have opted for Amaze over Sunny if you had an option then ?
The Sunny's sheer back-seat space is something the Amaze cannot match. They're actually from different segments, one a compact sedan and the other a full size....the price difference is significant as well.

Simply put:

Self-driven = Amaze
Chauffeur-driven = Sunny
Old 4th June 2013, 12:20   #190
BHPian

Congratulations on the buy , hope you have a trouble free ownership with the sunny ,I also brought the same considering japanese reliability but has been marred with various issues , right from the time of booking till date my car has spent more time in the dealer workshop rather than at home , sometimes its the engine knocking noise , sometimes the actuator or sometimes the brake noise .
more so not only the dealer their office people in HAI , their regional heads are least interested in addressing consumer complaints , I have been in touch with their Director sales and marketing who has indeed been great help , but a lot more is expected from his juniors.
Good that you have got the extended warranty , I would list all my problems in the detailed ownership review.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 13:56   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Simply put:

Self-driven = Amaze
Chauffeur-driven = Sunny
Haven't yet driven amaze but isn't sunny also amazing to drive in the city as a self drive car? The low end torque makes it a breeze and the added space is an advantage. On highway I guess there would not be much difference in both as far as dynamics are concerned.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 13:40   #192
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Haven't yet driven amaze but isn't sunny also amazing to drive in the city as a self drive car? The low end torque makes it a breeze and the added space is an advantage. On highway I guess there would not be much difference in both as far as dynamics are concerned.
Yes, the Sunny is incredibly light to drive in the city, and has stunning levels of driveability. The reason I recommend the Amaze over the Sunny for self-driving folk:

- If you aren't going to use the backseat, why lug around all that space?
- Amaze is compact. Sunny is long. Therefore, Amaze is more practical for crowded cities....it's just a lot more chuckable.
- Amaze has better brakes.
- Honda's after sales is better than Nissan's lousy setup.
Old 5th June 2013, 14:14   #193
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, the Sunny is incredibly light to drive in the city, and has stunning levels of driveability. The reason I recommend the Amaze over the Sunny for self-driving folk:
How do you compare the DCi 85 with iDTEC ? Both offer nice driveability and good overall performance without sacrificing fuel economy. Refinement is better with Sunny though
Old 5th June 2013, 17:02   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Please Note: My comments are only for the SUNNY, since I own one and have experienced it. I haven't driven Amaze yet, nor am I comparing it with the SUNNY.

1) Absolute no-nonsense package. Drive-ability is very good and atleast I don't feel that I am driving a long Sedan. I have a Jazz as well, so that is what I am comparing to. You can point it to a gap and it will go straight in there, without any fuss.

2) Brakes are weak, however, NISSAN is recalling the SUNNY and MICRA in batches to "fix" an issue with the Brake System. I am assuming it will fix the brake-thing, though I haven't got a call yet.

3) In Bangalore, I drive it through NR Colony - Lalbag - Wilson Garden - Adugodi - HAL Airport Road, a total of 22 kms, one-way to office. Traffic is pretty heavy on this route, but the car handles like a breeze.

4) Absolutely no turbo-lag. When I am alone in the car, it can easily chug along below 1000 rpm in 4th gear, though I make sure that it's not lugging, and it has never done till now. With 3 occupants, the same thing can be easily achieved in the 4th gear for sometime and then for extended periods in the 3rd gear. Again, no lugging observed.

5) Audio system is pretty good for an OEM.

6) AC is right upto the mark as well. Haven't gone below 21 degrees on the Auto-AC yet.

7) Did a casual drive to Salem 2 weeks back. Absolutely stable on the highway. Didn't require any down shifts while overtaking. Even during diversions, it goes where you point it, no vague responses. I love the steering.

8) Have completed only 1500 kms on the Odo, and have not gone beyond 115kmph yet (and I don't plan to do that intentionally either), however, there have been instances where I am shocked to see the Odo reading. It shows 100kmph, however, you feel like its hardly 75. I have rolled down the windows a couple of times to realize that I indeed am driving at 100kmph

9) Ergonomics are excellent. I am 6'3", and finding an excellent driving position is a breeze. All controls are within easy reach, and what's more, a 6'3" person can easily sit behind me, without his legs touching the back of the driver seat.

10) In daily Bangalore traffic, I get close to 16kmpl and on highways it's 19kmpl. I am not losing sleep on it as I know that the car still needs to be driven more, and also the fact that there will be a difference seen after the 1st service.

Thanks for reading!
Safety is Param is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 12:54   #195
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Strange that Nissan would actually use the Sunny's brakes as an advantage! Even with ABS + EBD, they are so inferior to that of the Rapid / Vento.

Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse-20130608-18.07.12.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks