Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2013, 00:32   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post

Dude I am sorry I should have been more clearer. I was talking about western ghat roads not expressways. What is the maximum you have pushed your Liva on a ghat road? My daily drive to the workplace is 5 kms one way of curvy ghats in Kerala.
Nope. I haven't taken the Liva to a hill.
The ghats are a risky affair & i was shocked to see how vehicles in Kerala are driven on the ghats. Me being bought up in Chennai, got used to the bumper-to-bumper traffic and the open road expressways.
Old 15th June 2013, 11:07   #152
BHPian

re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. 25000 kms update

My refreshed Liva bought last month does not have a door beeding. I hate that because before the monsoon set in, all the fine grains of dirt from the road accumulated there. I don't know how much it costs Toyota to put in this door beeding which even cars costing Rs. 2 lakhs less can afford. I would not mind paying a few grands if Toyota decides to launch an optional door beeding installation recall.
Old 15th June 2013, 12:31   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
My refreshed Liva bought last month does not have a door beeding. I hate that because before the monsoon set in, all the fine grains of dirt from the road accumulated there. I don't know how much it costs Toyota to put in this door beeding which even cars costing Rs. 2 lakhs less can afford. I would not mind paying a few grands if Toyota decides to launch an optional door beeding installation recall.
+1 to that.
I dont know how much they will save by putting up the beeding on the body instead of the door.

Got a chance to test the suspension on the way to Vellore , today.
The car was well planted and the floating effect of the old suspension was not felt.
Was able to maintain a constant 140 and it felt like it was 100kmph. The new suspension is better suited for the highways than the city!
Old 15th June 2013, 16:08   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Nope. I haven't taken the Liva to a hill.
The ghats are a risky affair & i was shocked to see how vehicles in Kerala are driven on the ghats. Me being bought up in Chennai, got used to the bumper-to-bumper traffic and the open road expressways.
Accept my apologies saadat1992, as I have highlighted I don't know which roads you are referring to as expressways? Could you give some examples of the same? You are one lucky fellow to be driving your Liva on expressways. We on the other hand have to contend with two lane roads as highways.

Thanks.
Old 15th June 2013, 18:01   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Could you give some examples of the same? You are one lucky fellow to be driving your Liva on expressways. We on the other hand have to contend with two lane roads as highways.

Thanks.
Well, here's an example of an expressway:

Name:  ForumRunner_20130615_180017.png
Views: 2896
Size:  257.3 KB

This was taken today on the NH46.
We can maintain a constant 130-140 on these kind of roads & btw, aren't there any Expressways like these in Kerala?
Old 15th June 2013, 23:13   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Well, here's an example of an expressway:
This was taken today on the NH46.
We can maintain a constant 130-140 on these kind of roads & btw, aren't there any Expressways like these in Kerala?
Ok, let us get some things clear here. An expressway is not just a wide road where you can drive your car "express" at a certain speed. Those can be any roads, national highways, state highways, interstate highways etc.,

By definition expressway is "A highway designed for fast traffic, with controlled entrance and exit, a dividing strip between the traffic in opposite directions, and typically two or more lanes in each direction".

Source: http://www.google.co.in/search?biw=1...w=1066&bih=516

Other relevant links

Indian expressways: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Expressways

From the above article you can see that in Tamil Nadu there is only one existing expressway, the Chennai bypass.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai_Bypass

Unfortunately in Kerala there are no expressways. The only highway which comes slightly closer to other national highways in India is NH 47 between Thrissur and Angamaly.

Thanks.
Old 15th June 2013, 23:50   #157
BHPian

Quote:

By definition expressway is "A highway designed for fast traffic, with controlled entrance and exit, a dividing strip between the traffic in opposite directions, and typically two or more lanes in each direction".

Thanks.
Only one? LOL.

Here's a list of Highways that are as good as the expressways.
* The Chennai by-pass that comes from Red hills and goes all the way upto Tambaram where it joins the NH45.(I find the NH45 tobe better than the by-pass)

*The NH45 that connects Chennai and Dindigul via trichy & NH45B from trichy to Madurai.

*The NH4/NH46 between Chennai and krishnagiri via Ranipet.

*The NH7 between Hosur and Kanyakumari via Salem, Karur, Dindigul,Madurai and tirunelveli.

*The NH47 from Salem to Coimbatore.

*The NH66 between Tindivanam and Pondicherry.

*The NH67 between Karur and Manavur( this one will stretch to Trichy, the work is in progress).

The above mentioned highways are 4laned dual carriageways with a big median ,by-passes , entry and exit points. I myself have driven on these roads and you can see the picture of some of these roads in my previous posts.

Thanks.

Last edited by saadat1992 : 16th June 2013 at 00:04.
Old 22nd June 2013, 21:27   #158
BHPian

UPDATE:
The Liva touched the 12,000km mark, today! Took exactly 11 months and 4 days to clock it!!

And the best part is, last year, this very same day (22/06/2012), i booked my car!!

Last edited by saadat1992 : 22nd June 2013 at 21:29.
Old 4th July 2013, 18:17   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The Skoda octavia's beeding matches perfectly for the Etios. Check it out, if this is a hassle for you. For me, this is not much of an issue. But, my friend - Vinu has used the Skoda beeding on his liva.
Today on ebay.in I found door seal.
Can be seen at this link http://www.ebay.in/itm/US-Imported-M...item2ec86ce42c

How good is it and is it a DIY job?

Last edited by bblost : 4th July 2013 at 18:45. Reason: removed font tags
Old 18th July 2013, 17:21   #160
BHPian

Great news!
Today, the white knight turned 1 !
Its been a great run! The odo stands at 13000kms.
I cant believe its one year since i bought the Liva! I still have a feel that its only a few months old!
Well, time and miles just fly by, dont they?
Hoping to have many more happy years and miles with the little Toyota!

The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-1017086_10200685369310778_795992984_n.jpg
Old 18th July 2013, 17:36   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Great news!
Today, the white knight turned 1 !
Its been a great run! The odo stands at 13000kms.
I cant believe its one year since i bought the Liva! I still have a feel that its only a few months old!
Well, time and miles just fly by, dont they?
Hoping to have many more happy years and miles with the little Toyota!
Congrats for your Liva's 1st birthday. You have really maintained the white car well. Going by your numbers we are part of the same TN 10 RTO. I live near Sai Nagar. Where are you put up by the way?
Old 18th July 2013, 18:22   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post

Congrats for your Liva's 1st birthday. You have really maintained the white car well. Going by your numbers we are part of the same TN 10 RTO. I live near Sai Nagar. Where are you put up by the way?
Thank you! It's a difficult thing to maintain a white car in Chennai!

I reside near Nelson Manickam road. My car is regd. under Chinmaya nagar RTO.
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 16:37   #163
BHPian

Dude how do you cope up with rain and much getting deposited on the rear windscreen? Planning to fit a wiper or do some hydrophobic glass treatment? It is a real pain for me and is pretty dangerous at times driving in the rains!
Old 6th August 2013, 17:18   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Dude how do you cope up with rain and much getting deposited on the rear windscreen? Planning to fit a wiper or do some hydrophobic glass treatment? It is a real pain for me and is pretty dangerous at times driving in the rains!
Well, the water stains remain on the glass after it rains which is a real pain! The water does not bead on the windows either. Its particularly difficult driving during the nights in monsoon!
I use Formula1's windshield fluid to make the visibilty better. It does the job alright!

Fitting the rear wiper? I dont think Toyota will do that!
Firstly; we need a rear defogger! The windshields become opaque when it rains in the city. I haven't faced the problem on the highways! That's kind of weird i guess!
Old 6th August 2013, 19:50   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fitting the rear wiper? I dont think Toyota will do that!
Since the petrol liva does have rear wiper option on certain models, I would recommend that you discuss this with your service advisor on the possibility of fitting one for the diesel variant as well.

Quote:
Firstly; we need a rear defogger! The windshields become opaque when it rains in the city. I haven't faced the problem on the highways! That's kind of weird i guess!
Did you mean windshield or rear glass? For the windshield, air conditioner should take care of the fog. The logic is you bring down the humidity inside by switching on the aircon. Without humidity, there is no water to condense on the glass. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks