Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 23:10   #181
BHPian

re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. 25000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
EXACTLY! Spot on!
It fogs up only after the shower stops! Wiper is the only thing that is useful then! However, i never faced such problems in my Santro!
Saadat, so your problem is fogging up of the windscreen when the rain stops? What I do is put the AC back to reticulation mode and put it in normal position (that is away from the windscreen mode). That solves the problem.

In other words, this is what I do to prevent fogging on the windscreen and the rear glass:

1. When it's raining, I put the AC to windscreen position and allow outside air to come in. This prevents fogging on both the glasses. Even if had started fogging, it clears in minutes.

2. Put back the AC to normal position and air vent at recirculation immediately after rain stops. This prevents fogging of the windscreen from outside.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 12:45   #182
BHPian

I happened to do a mileage calculation today and turns out the Liva gave around 14.3-15kpl in usual city and city-highway runs. Hows it going for you folks?
Old 21st August 2013, 18:21   #183
BHPian

I think there is a little bit drop in the mileage! AC+Aggressive driving. I potter about in 2nd gear in stop go traffic. But, when i see empty roads, i unleash it! Pedal to metal driving at times when the road is empty but, only in the 1st two gears though!
I believe, mine is somewhere around 13-14kmpl in the city.
Old 21st August 2013, 21:19   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I happened to do a mileage calculation today and turns out the Liva gave around 14.3-15kpl in usual city and city-highway runs. Hows it going for you folks?
Mine returns between 16 to 17 kmpl in Bangalore city with 100% AC; highways- I am not calculating recently.

Cheers!
M
Old 22nd August 2013, 00:19   #185
BHPian

Thats a good range for the city then, 13-17 kpl ie. 1st, 2nd & 3rd are all you need to effortless amble around in the city. One good part I like is there is always power on tap. The sad part is the 5th gear is completely useless. At 80 kays, it moves so effortlessly in the 4th and pulls clean all the way past the ton mark. So much so that when you do put the 5th at 80, the engine begs to down shift and asks to be let back into the 4th! The 5th clearly demands open stretches and when you are doing 100-120+ speeds.
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:59   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a good range for the city then, 13-17 kpl ie. 1st, 2nd & 3rd are all you need to effortless amble around in the city. One good part I like is there is always power on tap. The sad part is the 5th gear is completely useless. At 80 kays, it moves so effortlessly in the 4th and pulls clean all the way past the ton mark. So much so that when you do put the 5th at 80, the engine begs to down shift and asks to be let back into the 4th! The 5th clearly demands open stretches and when you are doing 100-120+ speeds.
5 th is a tall gear on the etios diesel. I really enjoy it for 2 reasons.

1. 80 km pH to 140 kmph acceleration feels so smooth.
2. When you feel like cruising at 100 km pH, the engine is so relaxed @ around 2000 rpms and is at its peak torque range. So, if you want to overtake at 100 km pH, just tap it slightly and you are through without any Huff and Puff.

But as you said, if you drive below 80 km pH, 4th is the gear to be on.
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:15   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

2. When you feel like cruising at 100 km pH, the engine is so relaxed @ around 2000 rpms and is at its peak torque range. So, if you want to overtake at 100 km pH, just tap it slightly and you are through without any Huff and Puff.

Yes it is and when you know the range, its superbly effective. But alas, our city runs deprive us of it.
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:37   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

The 5th gear is a VERY tall gear! I remember going from 50kmph - 165kmph in the 5th.
Also, like you said, cruising at 100 in 5th is the best thing! If you want to overtake, just a small tap on the accelerator and you can feel the turbo pull! It is so addictive!
How many of you noticed that there are no vibrations at all from both the gear and the steering wheel at any speed!?
I felt some small vibrations on the steering at 160 though!

I also noticed that there is a small drop in pickup when the AC is on.
The car accelerates like crazy without AC!
Old 23rd August 2013, 13:18   #189
BHPian

Quote:
The 5th gear is a VERY tall gear! I remember going from 50kmph - 165kmph in the 5th.
Also, like you said, cruising at 100 in 5th is the best thing! If you want to overtake, just a small tap on the accelerator and you can feel the turbo pull! It is so addictive!
How many of you noticed that there are no vibrations at all from both the gear and the steering wheel at any speed!?
I felt some small vibrations on the steering at 160 though!

Getting to 150+ from 50-60 in the 5th cog is steady and slow! I wouldn't burden the turbo though. But yes at whichever gear, no vibes at all! Even better without the air con, in fact it pulls so clean that you forget its a diesel. Excellent driveability, must say.

Last edited by coolmel : 23rd August 2013 at 13:19.
Old 23rd August 2013, 17:16   #190
BHPian

Quote:

Getting to 150+ from 50-60 in the 5th cog is steady and slow! I wouldn't burden the turbo though. But yes at whichever gear, no vibes at all! Even better without the air con, in fact it pulls so clean that you forget its a diesel. Excellent driveability, must say.
And regarding the pulling ability, i was climbing a big flyover today, i was in 3rd gear and there was a wagon R who was trying to compete with me (only God knows why) , he was in full rev and i put my right foot down & this thing was pulling like crazy & he was far behind in the dust. The acceleration was really good. People underestimate this car solely based on some negative reviews! The acceleration is not as good as the swift diesel but, it is no way less than the swift on the highways.
Love its cruising ability!
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:03   #191
BHPian

Quote:
And regarding the pulling ability, i was climbing a big flyover today, i was in 3rd gear and there was a wagon R who was trying to compete with me (only God knows why) , he was in full rev and i put my right foot down & this thing was pulling like crazy & he was far behind in the dust. The acceleration was really good. People underestimate this car solely based on some negative reviews! The acceleration is not as good as the swift diesel but, it is no way less than the swift on the highways.
Love its cruising ability!
Honestly find the Swift over-rated sometimes. The Punto performs better than it. Toyota is in a different league altogether!
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:40   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I think there is a little bit drop in the mileage! AC+Aggressive driving. I potter about in 2nd gear in stop go traffic. But, when i see empty roads, i unleash it! Pedal to metal driving at times when the road is empty but, only in the 1st two gears though!
I believe, mine is somewhere around 13-14kmpl in the city.
A relaxed driving is likely to fetch better average. I had been doing this since I got the car and in crazy traffic situation in Kolkata I consistently get between 15 and 18 km to a litre. I always calculate using the tank full method.

I had only one solitary run in the highways during this one year, and the average came to 22 km/l.

One thing I've noticed is the car gives better mileage if I happen to refill when the fuel is not below the half-way mark. Any reason for this?

Quote:
Yes, but it's really a small drop, almost unnoticeable. My previous experiences with Maruti 800 and Alto VX were horrible. But again I should not be comparing between apples and oranges.
Old 23rd August 2013, 19:10   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Yes, but it's really a small drop, almost unnoticeable. My previous experiences with Maruti 800 and Alto VX were horrible. But again I should not be comparing between apples and oranges.
Haha. Rightly said!
But then, the drop is overshadowed by the turbo!
I had really bad experiences with my Santro! The loss of power is felt more in the petrol vehicles because of the lack of a turbo i believe.
Old 24th August 2013, 12:57   #194
BHPian

Have one question regarding servicing post our 3 year warranty mark. I am not aware about any PMC plans from Toyota, but will the service intervals be the same 10,000 kms? Also, am not that well versed with diesel engines as with petrol, but post how many kilometres is it advisable to start using fully synthetic oils and in particular which oil is great for mileage?
Old 24th August 2013, 22:07   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have one question regarding servicing post our 3 year warranty mark. I am not aware about any PMC plans from Toyota, but will the service intervals be the same 10,000 kms? Also, am not that well versed with diesel engines as with petrol, but post how many kilometres is it advisable to start using fully synthetic oils and in particular which oil is great for mileage?
1) It will be the same 10,000 kms service interval.
2) If you want to use synthetic oil, switch to it sooner than later. Having said that, Toyotas the world over has run on mineral oil for lakhs of kms without any issues. If you ask me, if it makes economic sense to switch to synthetics, I'm not too sure about it.
3) With synthetics, the friction should be lower and hence there should be a marginal better mileage. But, that's not too much noticeable. Another factor would be that, in the long run, mileage drop should be minimal on cars that use synthetic oil.

PS: I use synthetic because I want the engine to remain as good as new even after many years. I plan to use this vehicle for 10+ years.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks