Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 10:28   #241
BHPian

Re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. 25000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I do the same, although I maintain 33 on all tyres. And tankful to tankful it always is for getting the most accurate mileage figures. Also one more thing, in traffic do you pick up from first or second? I tried doing the same in second and actually love it. Same for breakers. Thoughts?
I do it from the first gear. Though picking up from the second gear should be fine. However, you reminded me of my old petrol Fiat which I had about 25 years ago. In that steering mounted gear console, it was difficult to slot the first gear and I started moving from the second gear only!

Again, I have seen several Amby cab drivers in Kolkata starting their car from the second gear. Once I asked a driver for the reason and he explained, "Oh Sir, first gear is for hill driving, it's not needed in the city."

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
The car runs 2-3kms daily and that too in small streets where you cant go above 3rd gear.
I rarely fill the tank! Its usually for 500 or 1000 bucks! I dont fill the tank unless there's a highway run.
I fill diesel for 1000 bucks (from reserve) and it does 150-170kms before hitting the reserve again!
You get 16lts for 1000, so 150-170 means an average of 10kmpl! This is how I do the calculation!
I always fill as soon as it hits reserve!
Hmm. So your FE can never be calculated. Tankful is the only method when you can properly judge the exact fuel economy.

That apart, running a diesel car your way may not be the right method. I have seen the FE going down in my car if I let the fuel gauge go towards the end. The car is fuel efficient till the tank is about one-fourth full.

In any case, running on reserve in a diesel car is not a very good idea. This can cause air to be sucked into the fuel line, causing knocking and/or more pressure on the fuel pump/ engine, specially when you are cornering or running on bumpy roads.

I would suggest that you fill up your tank once and then follow your routine of topping it up with meagre amounts.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 13:13   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
I do it from the first gear. Though picking up from the second gear should be fine. However, you reminded me of my old petrol Fiat which I had about 25 years ago. In that steering mounted gear console, it was difficult to slot the first gear and I started moving from the second gear only!

Again, I have seen several Amby cab drivers in Kolkata starting their car from the second gear. Once I asked a driver for the reason and he explained, "Oh Sir, first gear is for hill driving, it's not needed in the city."

Hmm. So your FE can never be calculated. Tankful is the only method when you can properly judge the exact fuel economy.

That apart, running a diesel car your way may not be the right method. I have seen the FE going down in my car if I let the fuel gauge go towards the end. The car is fuel efficient till the tank is about one-fourth full.

In any case, running on reserve in a diesel car is not a very good idea. This can cause air to be sucked into the fuel line, causing knocking and/or more pressure on the fuel pump/ engine, specially when you are cornering or running on bumpy roads.

I would suggest that you fill up your tank once and then follow your routine of topping it up with meagre amounts.
Downshifting to first gear even for bumpers is a knee sore. Having clocked just 3000 kms, have switched to moving it up from second and liking it more. Just a query on this, does this habit burn the clutch plates faster?
Old 11th November 2014, 13:27   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Downshifting to first gear even for bumpers is a knee sore. Having clocked just 3000 kms, have switched to moving it up from second and liking it more. Just a query on this, does this habit burn the clutch plates faster?
Actually, taking off in 2nd might be easy for you. But, you're straining the engine & the clutch by doing so. Its always the best thing to downshift to 1 when you're starting off from standstill.
Clearing the speed breakers in 2nd gear is easy. But please start off from 1st gear to ensure there's less strain on the engine & clutch!
Old 11th November 2014, 14:06   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, I use 1st gear when starting from standstill. For speed breakers, I down shift to 2nd. Find that easier.
Old 11th November 2014, 14:19   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Oh, I use 1st gear when starting from standstill. For speed breakers, I down shift to 2nd. Find that easier.
How about in traffic? Thoughts on the clutch plates?
Old 11th November 2014, 14:49   #246
BHPian

re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update

Coolmel,
Can you avoid clutch in any city? I find Liva better than other cars as it has longer range in 2nd and 3rd gears.
Old 12th November 2014, 15:25   #247
Senior - BHPian

If there is an engine where you can completely avoid riding the clutch, it's Diesel engines thanks mainly to the high torque. It has the capability to 'crawl' through uneven surfaces and hill at low rpms.

Whether I ride it on the city, or on the highways, I always make it a point not to use clutch ( unless when it is not for shifting gears ). You can crawl on a Diesel car without riding on clutch ( by just being on the correct gear ). My last memory of riding on clutch is on a Petrol engine. That too, only when shifting gear is of no use.

Following this style ensured that I never had to replace a clutch in any of the vehicles that I've used till now.

Zen - 1,25,000 kms
Esteem - 70,000 kms to 1,15,000 kms
Etios Diesel - 59,000 kms

PS: A higher torque vehicle will wear down the clutch faster. Manufacturers make the clutch of such vehicles harder to make it last longer ( to compensate for the higher torque )
Old 12th November 2014, 19:11   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

PS: A higher torque vehicle will wear down the clutch faster. Manufacturers make the clutch of such vehicles harder to make it last longer ( to compensate for the higher torque )
Well, that explains why my Santro had 2 clutch changes in 42,000kms
Also, my friend's Dzire seems to have such a smooth clutch! Does that mean my Liva's will last longer than his?
And, in a city like Chennai, you have no other go than riding the clutch! Bumper to bumper traffic and potholed roads during monsoons!
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:55   #249
BHPian

Update:

The White knight has touched the 28,000kms mark.
Here's a picture. Service due in another 2000kms!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-1417505079498.jpg
Fancy Num? 28028 :P
Old 26th December 2014, 20:29   #250
BHPian

Update:
Crossed the 29k mark yesterday.
So far so good!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-1419605925620.jpg
Old 26th December 2014, 21:09   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car runs 2-3kms daily and that too in small streets where you cant go above 3rd gear.
I rarely fill the tank! Its usually for 500 or 1000 bucks! I dont fill the tank unless there's a highway run.
I fill diesel for 1000 bucks (from reserve) and it does 150-170kms before hitting the reserve again!
You get 16lts for 1000, so 150-170 means an average of 10kmpl! This is how I do the calculation!
I always fill as soon as it hits reserve!
Just a small OT but I have a very similar experience with my swift diesel in chennai. Its been between 12-14 given the traffic here and almost identical running as you. So I'd say what you're roughly calculating is okay.

For such running, we should calculate only highway mileage. Anything else is practically irrelevant.

PS: Do post the photos of the stickers?
Old 26th December 2014, 22:18   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just a small OT but I have a very similar experience with my swift diesel in chennai. Its been between 12-14 given the traffic here and almost identical running as you. So I'd say what you're roughly calculating is okay.

For such running, we should calculate only highway mileage. Anything else is practically irrelevant.

PS: Do post the photos of the stickers?
Highway mileage is very good actually
The city mileage has improved too!
Getting somewhere between 12-13 now compared to the 10 I used to get.

And, the stickers? The one I changed today? Here it is :P
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-1419612485067.jpg
IDS to Got bhp?
Old 2nd January 2015, 00:28   #253
BHPian

Mine is giving a healthy 15kpl with bumper to bumper traffic and a few highway runs thrown in. Funny bits I have noticed is while at 60 in 4th gear and you change to 5th the engine growls telling to touch 80 and then slot 5th!! Otherwise in daily traffic scenario no need of accelerator, just ride on the clutch in 1st. Brakes could have been better really.

The erratic bits from the daily routine include the doors not closing when you close them gently, it either has to be a little forceful or most! Every single time myself or the other occupants have to do it twice. Also, rattles from the dashboard already. :(
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:14   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is giving a healthy 15kpl with bumper to bumper traffic and a few highway runs thrown in. Funny bits I have noticed is while at 60 in 4th gear and you change to 5th the engine growls telling to touch 80 and then slot 5th!! Otherwise in daily traffic scenario no need of accelerator, just ride on the clutch in 1st. Brakes could have been better really.

The erratic bits from the daily routine include the doors not closing when you close them gently, it either has to be a little forceful or most! Every single time myself or the other occupants have to do it twice. Also, rattles from the dashboard already. :(
Hi Mehul!
Mine feels at home doing 60 in 5th gear.
The mileage in city is a lost case! Brakes are definitely the best in class(compared to the likes of Swift, Figo, Micra)
The door not closing properly thing, couldn't agree more! You need to shove it to shut it despite it being tinny!
And, the dash board rattles are non existent in mine even after driving on very bad roads ( Chennai - Vellore stretch of NH4) in triple digit speeds. No issues at all. In fact, its Now close to 30k and there are no issues whatsoever
Old 5th January 2015, 14:58   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mehul!
Mine feels at home doing 60 in 5th gear.
The mileage in city is a lost case! Brakes are definitely the best in class(compared to the likes of Swift, Figo, Micra)
The door not closing properly thing, couldn't agree more! You need to shove it to shut it despite it being tinny!
And, the dash board rattles are non existent in mine even after driving on very bad roads ( Chennai - Vellore stretch of NH4) in triple digit speeds. No issues at all. In fact, its Now close to 30k and there are no issues whatsoever
I guess the 60 issue is because of the few miles munched. The brakes in mine feel as if they are lacking bite. I guess the biggest plus point of the car in this segment is this enjoy-driving-troublefree-nature-peace-of-mind-service that keeps us going!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks