Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2013, 19:55   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Since the petrol liva does have rear wiper option on certain models, I would recommend that you discuss this with your service advisor on the possibility of fitting one for the diesel variant as well.

Did you mean windshield or rear glass? For the windshield, air conditioner should take care of the fog. The logic is you bring down the humidity inside by switching on the aircon. Without humidity, there is no water to condense on the glass. :-)
I meant both the rear glass and the windshield!
I have no idea how to defog it! I faced no issues in my Santro but in the Liva , i find it a bit difficult to defog! The fog remains even if i switch over to the ventilation mode. Thing is that, it happened in my Friend's Liva too! :/
Old 6th August 2013, 20:33   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post

I meant both the rear glass and the windshield!
I have no idea how to defog it! I faced no issues in my Santro but in the Liva , i find it a bit difficult to defog! The fog remains even if i switch over to the ventilation mode. Thing is that, it happened in my Friend's Liva too! :/
It should not be in ventilation mode.
Switch on the ac in circulation mode with all windows closed. Adjust the temperature if needed. Try changing the direction of ac as well.
Old 9th August 2013, 00:14   #168
BHPian

re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. 25000 kms update

Quote:
Well, the water stains remain on the glass after it rains which is a real pain! The water does not bead on the windows either. Its particularly difficult driving during the nights in monsoon!
I use Formula1's windshield fluid to make the visibilty better. It does the job alright!

Fitting the rear wiper? I dont think Toyota will do that!
Firstly; we need a rear defogger! The windshields become opaque when it rains in the city. I haven't faced the problem on the highways! That's kind of weird i guess!
At times when its raining either way, heavily or not the rear starts getting fogged up and that is super dangerous! The kind of rains we get in Mumbai, its a tough time. I think Toyota have been pretty stingy on not giving it a rear wiper.

Did you mean something like Aquapel? Nothing like having a wiper, which is why I have decided to go the insurance way. Need a spell of heavy rains and few trees falling.
Old 10th August 2013, 15:12   #169
BHPian

Quote:

It should not be in ventilation mode.
Switch on the ac in circulation mode with all windows closed. Adjust the temperature if needed. Try changing the direction of ac as well.
It worked!!
Today, went for a drive with a few BHPians! It was raining cats and dogs! I put the AC in circulation mode & i did not switch on the defogger!
There was no fog on the windshield! But; the rear glass had some fog and hence the rearward visibility was limited!
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 19:48   #170
BHPian

Amalji and Saadat, I never face problems with defogging in the windshield and the rear glass during heavy monsoons. I put it on ventilation mode (by ventilation mode I mean I let the outside air come in), turn the direction knob of the AC control to the end position (which shows the windscreen glass) and switch on the AC at 1 power. Even if the glasses have begun to fog up, they clear in seconds. If you look at the signs at the AC windscreen blower position, it is clearly indicated to act this this way. And well, it works as defogger.
The problem begins when the shower stops and you continue with the AC in that mode. The lower portion of the windscreen tend to fog up from outside and you need to keep the wiper on for some more time!
Old 10th August 2013, 20:07   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
The problem begins when the shower stops and you continue with the AC in that mode. The lower portion of the windscreen tend to fog up from outside and you need to keep the wiper on for some more time!
EXACTLY! Spot on!
It fogs up only after the shower stops! Wiper is the only thing that is useful then! However, i never faced such problems in my Santro!
Old 17th August 2013, 23:51   #172
BHPian

Even in recirculation mode it does start fogging up at the rear and on the front side windows.No solution for this except for switching the ac off at traffic lights. The chiller it is, this problem will remain.

Any one here upgraded their wipers to a Bosch or Hella? Am planning to get either of them this week. The stock wipers are just crap!
Old 18th August 2013, 00:04   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Even in recirculation mode it does start fogging up at the rear and on the front side windows.No solution for this except for switching the ac off at traffic lights. The chiller it is, this problem will remain.

Any one here upgraded their wipers to a Bosch or Hella? Am planning to get either of them this week. The stock wipers are just crap!
Upgraded my Etios' wiper in June this year (26" single wiper from Bosch costing 650/-, all rubber type, from the local Bosch dealer).

Verdict: they are far better than the stock wipers. Change recommended.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 01:34   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It worked!!
Today, went for a drive with a few BHPians! It was raining cats and dogs! I put the AC in circulation mode & i did not switch on the defogger!
There was no fog on the windshield! But; the rear glass had some fog and hence the rearward visibility was limited!
It worked because it prevented the humidity from outside enter the cabin. Without humidity, there is no water to be condensed. And you prevent fogging inside.

To solve the rear fog, follow the below tips
  • Do not increase the speed of the blower beyond 1 ( This has 2 effects. 1 - The condenser gets more time to efficiently remove humidity from the air. 2 - The air doesn't go straight and hit the rear glass )
  • Increase the temperature slightly ( place it between the blue and white labels in temperature control ). This increases the temperature on glasses reducing the chances of condensation outside.
  • Change the direction of ac vents, so that it doesn't blow straight to the rear glass.

Quote:
EXACTLY! Spot on!
It fogs up only after the shower stops! Wiper is the only thing that is useful then! However, i never faced such problems in my Santro!
This is because the windscreen gets cold. Combined with the outside humidity, it results in condensation outside ( not inside ) your windscreen. A temperature which is close to ( or higher than ) the temperature outside will prevent this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Amalji and Saadat, I never face problems with defogging in the windshield and the rear glass during heavy monsoons. I put it on ventilation mode (by ventilation mode I mean I let the outside air come in), turn the direction knob of the AC control to the end position (which shows the windscreen glass) and switch on the AC at 1 power. Even if the glasses have begun to fog up, they clear in seconds. If you look at the signs at the AC windscreen blower position, it is clearly indicated to act this this way. And well, it works as defogger.
It's location and weather dependent. If I use ventilation mode in Kochi, it will result in fogging up. The logic is very simple. The outside air is very humid and saturated and temperature is moderate. In such a climate, if I bring in that air inside and further cool it using the AC, it causes condensation inside. I would rather recycle and use conditioned air for which the water and humidity is already removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Adjust the temperature and you should be able to control it to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Upgraded my Etios' wiper in June this year (26" single wiper from Bosch costing 650/-, all rubber type, from the local Bosch dealer).

Verdict: they are far better than the stock wipers. Change recommended.
Is it a perfect fit ?
And is there any difference in size ?
What are the specific advantages that you noticed ?
Did you consider Hella wipers before going for Bosche ?

Last edited by amalji : 18th August 2013 at 01:48.
Old 18th August 2013, 04:15   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Is it a perfect fit ?
And is there any difference in size ?
What are the specific advantages that you noticed ?
Did you consider Hella wipers before going for Bosch?
It is a perfect fit (26" single wiper Clear Advantage All Rubber Type from Bosch costing around 600INR).

In heavy monsoon this year in Kerala, the stock wiper blade used to leave marks all over the windshield (even after replacing the rubber at Amana Toyota for 250 INR just prior to the monsoon).

Had ordered Hella wiper from autotrends.in by cash on delivery. They replied after two days that there is no COD for Perinthalmanna, even though they had initially accepted the order. Hence no experience with Hella, but others in the forum had good experiences with Hella Dynaedge wipers.

Not everybody who owns Etios or Liva is complaining about the wiper, if you are satisfied with them you should just keep replacing the Rubber part at the start of every monsoon at the local Toyota dealership, in your case Nippon Toyota, which would be economical (250 Vs 600 INR).

Thanks.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 12:07   #176
BHPian

The stock wipers are pretty bad, they leave streaks all over the windshield and for anyone who has these cars, throw them away the first day itself. The Hella Dynaedge are something like the Bosch Aero Twins. Same stuff, different brands.
Old 18th August 2013, 12:20   #177
BHPian

Well, i haven't faced any issues with the stock wipers! They're pretty good. No streaks so far!
Old 18th August 2013, 14:16   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, i haven't faced any issues with the stock wipers! They're pretty good. No streaks so far!
It's the same for me as well. But some batches of wipers does seem to have issues. @nkrishnap , @mroptimist & @coolmel all had issues with it.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:32   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
It's the same for me as well. But some batches of wipers does seem to have issues. @nkrishnap , @mroptimist & @coolmel all had issues with it.
Same with me. Never faced any problem with stock wiper. I went through heavy monsoon rains last year from August. Going through monsoon rains this year too. Haven't felt the need to change the wiper so far. I am sure it will go through this season. Two seasons for stock wiper is good. My alto stock wipers never lasted for more than one season.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 19:53   #180
BHPian

I changed the stock wiper on my Etios and replaced with hella dynaedge 26 in ones (cost was around INR 788, see pic: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3157041 ). It somehow did not give a better result as the fitting was not well and it used to shudder and finally I switched to Bosch wiper for 450/- (similar single frame type) and they are working quite well.

Last edited by automachine : 19th August 2013 at 19:54. Reason: grammatical
automachine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks