Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2017, 10:58   #781
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
Really looking for your comments and suggestions on the options presented above.
Thanks and Regards
I would vote for G30 over the F10 unless the price difference is double than what it is at present. On F10 you may lose more on resale than on G30 few years down.

F10 is amazing but G30 is more plush inside and that iDrive is simply the best across all the models including the competition.

Also, why don't you also look at X5? Won't be as FTD as F10/G30 but more practical considering our road conditions.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 13:11   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Also, why don't you also look at X5? Won't be as FTD as F10/G30 but more practical considering our road conditions.
I did consider it but the pricing is a bit too much. The base model starts with 85 L OTR. 75 L for the G30 M Sports is already a good 10 L above from what i had originally budgeted. I was fine in getting the 520D but then i drove the 530 and read GTO's review of his F10. Blame it on him partly in shelling out the extra 10L
raj981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 13:33   #783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did consider it but the pricing is a bit too much. The base model starts with 85 L OTR. 75 L for the G30 M Sports is already a good 10 L above from what i had originally budgeted. I was fine in getting the 520D but then i drove the 530 and read GTO's review of his F10. Blame it on him partly in shelling out the extra 10L
It's a bit difficult to convince yourself to buy F10 and live with it for 5+ years when G30 is already plying on the roads. Financially F10 can be very attractive for sure. If I am in the market for a 3 series/C class, I would like to stretch and buy F10 at a great discount. Then I can drive it for 5-6 years fully aware that I landed an unaffordable upgrade and G30 was never in consideration. But if I am in the market for a 5-series, it is very difficult to overcome the feeling of "I wish" when I see G30 on the road. I think G30 520d/530i would be a better purchase than F10 530d for 99% of the customers. You should test drive 530i for sure given your usage is not too high.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 13:34   #784
BHPian

Quote:
My bad. Didn't realise that X5 is priced that high. However, there must be good amount of discount on it. May be around 15 or so. Still not a VFM option over F10, I agree.

Between 520d & 530d, 530d is the one to get. It indeed is no brainer.

Did you find any difference in driving dynamics of G30 compared to F10?
Old 27th July 2017, 14:00   #785
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However, there must be good amount of discount on it. May be around 15 or so.
No, much less, the only models having highest discounts are of outgoing 5 series

Quote:
but then i drove the 530 and read GTO's review of his F10. Blame it on him partly in shelling out the extra 10L
if you have budgetary concerns, Instead of the old E class better consider outgoing 530-D-M. Discounts on some of the options available in North are around 15 lac. You can try in Mumbai or with Gujarat dealers. I don't think you can replace the sweet kick you get from the outgoing 530-D with any gizmos from the current 520.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 14:52   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

I don't think you can replace the sweet kick you get from the outgoing 530-D with any gizmos from the current 520.
Yes you do make a very valid point. Specially if its going to be predominantly self driven.
But i also like the G30's form factor.....I'm so confused

Quote:

Between 520d & 530d, 530d is the one to get. It indeed is no brainer.
Thanks that really helps in coughing up the extra 10!

Quote:
Did you find any difference in driving dynamics of G30 compared to F10?
Not really except that the G30 manages to camouflage its size a wee bit better than the F10. Else its purely one's perception. The rear seat is more comfortable and the leg room is way better than the F10 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I think G30 520d/530i would be a better purchase than F10 530d for 99% of the customers. You should test drive 530i for sure given your usage is not too high.
The 530i is only available in the base trim. They call it the sports line i guess. I would therefore rule that out.
raj981 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 15:04   #787
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Hope the problem is rectified soon man
Appears to be the door seals.

Quote:
Its a common issue with many many owners facing the same issue
Really? Might be common with BMWs, but not with cars overall. No other car of mine has leaked like this - not the Hondas, not the Nissan, not the Tata and not the Mercedes.

Quote:
Also by any chance did you check how much kms of life was shown for the brake pads on the idrive system?
Was showing over 10,000 km, but I want them to physically check it nevertheless. My brake pads will last longer than a typical 530d because:

1. Loads of highway driving

2. Loads of engine braking

Quote:
The G30 M Sports is just a brilliant, technology laden piece of equipment that drives like a dream and looks gorgeous. You have to see it in flesh and blood to believe it. Its priced a steep 75 Lacs OTR Mumbai.

The F10 M Sports thats on offer is a 2017 production car...Its priced 65 lacs OTR Mumbai.
I never thought that a brand new F10 was worth 65 - 70 lakhs in 2013, and I certainly don't think so today!

If you must buy new, it has to be the G30 only. No point spending 90% of the G30's price on a discontinued 8-year-old generation. Better to go the whole hog and get yourself the latest model. Take the extended warranty and use it for a long time.

Please share an ownership report .

Buying a new 5-Series, but going for the older generation to save 10 lakhs is like having dinner at the Taj, then skipping desert for a smaller bill.

If you still want the F10, then buy a 1 - 2 year old car with warranty for 40 - 45 lakhs. An F10 now only makes sense used.

Last edited by GTO : 27th July 2017 at 15:09.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 15:17   #788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Buying a new 5-Series, but going for the older generation to save 10 lakhs is like having dinner at the Taj
Yes, but we all do, most of the times we order after a glance at prices, don't we

I believe outgoing 530 is discounted around 12-14 Lac Ex-Showroom so on road prices should be cheaper by 15 Lac or more. If he can find a dealer desperate to get rid of inventory this can be increased more although best time was before GST. I have not driven the new 5 so cannot comment on the handling part but as engine & gearbox are the same, I won't expect too much difference.
If someone has issues on funds, I will pick outgoing 530 over the newer 520 surely.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th July 2017 at 15:18.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 16:13   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I do enjoy my drives and I drive on weekends and on our monthly trip to Lonavla and on a six monthly trip to either Mahableshwar or Goa. Annual run never exceeds 10k kms.

We are a family of 4, that includes my 10 year old and my 14 month old.

Really looking for your comments and suggestions on the options presented above.
Thanks and Regards
The F10 all the way, you're already getting the depreciation benefit, a bit more reduction is possible because the price you gave is very close to what GTO's car cost when new. Compare prices with equivalent service packages too.

The new car will have its niggles, two to three years down the line, you can trade in for the new one which will be much more sorted. You're lucky that with young kids, rear seat space isn't high priority and won't be for sometime.

The only other option I can think of is the 330i Sportline, but I guess you're decided on the segment.
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 16:17   #790
BHPian

Quote:
We are a family of 4, that includes my 10 year old and my 14 month old.

Thanks and Regards
The F10 back seat is a dissapointment. I've had the 530 f10 for a lil over a year now and have never sat in the back seat. It's effectively used as a 2 seater. I would never consider the f10 against the G30. The new 530 is much better, interiors are a notch above the f10. And the f10's interiors are top quality too but g30's better. Driving dynamics and drivebility is something id rather not comment upon as I've not driven the g30 all that much. But I can tell it's slightly quicker in a straight line, more fuel efficient and lighter around the corners. If someone asks me to choose between the f10 and g30 now, I'd simply choose the g30 cause of the back seat. I wouldn't recommend you buying the f10 530d. If budget is a problem, go for the E350d. That merc is still a sorted ride but spending 70 on the f10 today is not advisable. Rather spend 80+ on g30 530. Or 50 on E class and save the rest.

The 10 year old is soon gonna grow and complain about the leg room on the f10.
Why don't you look at the new E350 too? or the Lexus sedan is a pretty good option.
Hope this helps
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 16:35   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Not really except that the G30 manages to camouflage its size a wee bit better than the F10. Else its purely one's perception. The rear seat is more comfortable and the leg room is way better than the F10 though.
I was told that the engine and gearbox both are little more refined than the outgoing F10. Didn't get an opportunity to verify it.
I too felt the space at rear to be noticeably better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Buying a new 5-Series, but going for the older generation to save 10 lakhs is like having dinner at the Taj, then skipping desert for a smaller bill.

If you still want the F10, then buy a 1 - 2 year old car with warranty for 40 - 45 lakhs. An F10 now only makes sense used.
Spot on!
Old 27th July 2017, 17:46   #792
BHPian

Quote:
I was told that the engine and gearbox both are little more refined than the outgoing F10. Didn't get an opportunity to verify it.
I'm sure it is. I rode the F10 as well as the G30 (both 530's) for almost an hour on bumper to bumper traffic and on the elevated road of the Mumbai T2 at good speeds. The cabin of the G30 may be a bit quieter if i have to really pick sides. But as i said the G30 hides its mass better than the F10.

Quote:
If you must buy new, it has to be the G30 only. No point spending 90% of the G30's price on a discontinued 8-year-old generation. Better to go the whole hog and get yourself the latest model. Take the extended warranty and use it for a long time.
Yes. Concluded on the G30 over the F10 and concluded on the 530 over the 520. On the extended warranty - Would you recommend to take the additional factory warranty alone or even including the BSI (Plus and RI). The BSI (Plus and RI) basically covers everything on the running costs except cost of fuel. It also covers tyres and rims and offer free replacement of the tyres when worn out. It costs around 3.9 L/7.4 L for a 3/5 years plan.

Quote:
Please share an ownership report .
Yes. Most definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The only other option I can think of is the 330i Sportline, but I guess you're decided on the segment.
since its not a 6 cylinder. The 5 fits the bill to be honest. And is now reinforced by the community
raj981 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 18:19   #793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Concluded on the G30 over the F10 and concluded on the 530 over the 520.
Congrats, which colour and interior? Do they carry stocks, I heard they have sold the initial lot and a small second lot and now won't have the kits until late September/ October. If you are getting the second lot then it should have a wood interior () unlike the aluminum one which somehow does not appeal to me.

Quote:
even including the BSI (Plus and RI)
Will depend how much you will be driving, if less than 15 K a Year just stick to extended warranty but if you are going to drive more than it does make sense to buy Plus.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th July 2017 at 18:21.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 18:55   #794
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was fine in getting the 520D but then i drove the 530 and read GTO's review of his F10. Blame it on him partly in shelling out the extra 10L
With these 6-cylinder beasts, you don't know what you're missing till you experience them. And once you do, there is no going back.

Quote:
Concluded on the G30 over the F10 and concluded on the 530 over the 520.
Heartiest congratulations man! Please do share a detailed ownership report so others can benefit. Am sure a lot of folk are sitting on the fence.

Quote:
On the extended warranty - Would you recommend to take the additional factory warranty alone or even including the BSI (Plus and RI)
Just go for the 4 year extended warranty top-up (total of 6 years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If someone has issues on funds, I will pick outgoing 530 over the newer 520 surely.
Yes definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
lighter around the corners
That would be a major improvement. The F10 feels damn heavy under hard cornering.

Quote:
I too felt the space at rear to be noticeably better.
It'll be down to the seats. The G30 really has no advantage in wheelbase length.

Mod Note: Now that Raj has made his choice, please continue the G30 discussion on its own thread.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 15:26   #795
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Update on the water leakage. Good news & bad news.

First, the good news : It wasn't the car's fault .

Bad news : It was due to ill-fitted insulation & improper wire routing. Now, Pervez says he didn't open the door up when I'd given it to him for the recent touch-up. I think it might be the used car dealer who I got it from. I know that he had gotten some nicks & dents repaired before showing it to clients (earlier in this thread, I'd mentioned a loosely fitted bumper panel). This particular door did have slight unevenness which was visible only if you stuck your head sideways to the door. Did look like it was pulled back in shape (from inside) without painting work.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_0609.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_0610.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_0612.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_0614.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_0615.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_0616.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_0617.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_1589.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_1591.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_1609.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_1614.jpg
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks