Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 09:24   #811
Senior - BHPian

I had earlier specified the intention of switching back to mineral oil for my vdi for the service coming up. the service station guys say they can flush the engine using an engine flush and then fill mineral oil back into the car.

however (i dont remember the name) someone on this forum told me doing so will have disastrous consequences on the car. i am bit confused that if there is a principle called engine flushing and refilling with mineral oil, why wont it work properly?

can experienced guys (perhaps owning a swift and have done this) specify to me the pros and cons in an understandable way? well, my fourth service is coming up (first paid one) in another 2,500 kms (though I want it done earlier - my car is in bad shape and seems to be begging me for a service now). i can do it later, but doing it earlier will make my car good to drive sooner

please clarify my doubt.
Old 15th September 2008, 10:51   #812
Team-BHP Support

Car in bad shape ? Whats wrong Geek ? NVH levels ?
Old 15th September 2008, 12:20   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Got the puncture fixed in less than five mins. A sticky elastic twig is pushed into the tyre hole until the hole is blocked for good. Both nails removed. One had not gone too far inside to wreck havoc.

Michelins I must accept are real good. These days we lose tyre pressure for variety of reasons, So i assumed they are becuase of bad roads and continued driving with the puncture for a full week before I realised something was wrong indeed. I ve even driven with 4 people + AC + puncture and it still performs! Kudos Michelin, you dont let down your drivers!
That's the beauty of tubeless tyres more than Michelin in particular.
I drove on around 300 KM after such a puncture on Mumbai Goa NH17 (periodically refilling left rear tyre without realizing why it's loosing air a bit faster). We were 5 and the boot was full. The puncture was fixed in a couple of minutes after returning to Mumbai. Both the tyre and the steel rim continued to serve well without any permanent damage. The tyre was Goodyear GPS 2 (tubeless).

Of course, Goodyear is pathetic compared to Michelin when it compares to handling and grip. But puncture is generally a non-issue with tubeless.

Cheers!
Old 15th September 2008, 13:25   #814
Senior - BHPian

eddy, its just to dirty. and my hands are tied with too many things at home and office.

on the other doubt, i am still expecting some answers from the gurus out here.
Old 15th September 2008, 13:35   #815
Team-BHP Support

If its only about the dirt, I would suggest that you get it serviced at the normal interval only.

Try and get it washed somewhere till then. Should not cost more that 200 bucks and you can leave the car and pick it up later.
Old 15th September 2008, 14:26   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
I had earlier specified the intention of switching back to mineral oil for my vdi for the service coming up. the service station guys say they can flush the engine using an engine flush and then fill mineral oil back into the car.

however (i dont remember the name) someone on this forum told me doing so will have disastrous consequences on the car. i am bit confused that if there is a principle called engine flushing and refilling with mineral oil, why wont it work properly?

can experienced guys (perhaps owning a swift and have done this) specify to me the pros and cons in an understandable way? well, my fourth service is coming up (first paid one) in another 2,500 kms (though I want it done earlier - my car is in bad shape and seems to be begging me for a service now). i can do it later, but doing it earlier will make my car good to drive sooner

please clarify my doubt.
Geek, don't worry about it. Go ahead, flush and go back to semi-synth. Check out Steer's post on the thread mineral vs. synthetic, linked below for convenience.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...tml#post314814

Hope that helps. Now get your baby in for service ASAP
Old 15th September 2008, 15:52   #817
Senior - BHPian

Thanks karthik, so Saturday it will be, I am planning to prepone my 20,000 service by about 2k kms. I feel the engine a bit sluggish. Maybe after service, it would resume doing its duty. And yes it has gone through some unnerving revvs in the past 8k odd kms.
Old 15th September 2008, 19:29   #818
BHPian

Engine response could be sluggish if turbo injectors cleaning has not been done at 15k kms. I think Jaggu had a similar issue. I know I had poor acceleration around the 15k kms mark and the cleaning helped. Or it could just be an air filter issue.

Have you seen a drop in FE and an increase in smoke, of the black sort? I doubt it could be related to the quality of fuel simply becuase I assume you would fill up at the same bunk every time.
Old 16th September 2008, 09:29   #819
Senior - BHPian

kartik, i like this discussion. yes the acceleration is slightly (about 10%) poorer if not disastrous and I have noticed a few incidences of smoke when I revved too much at times (when I say too much, its equivalent to scaring atleast 10 cars around me )

I have not bothered to look at the FE of late at all so not so sure. And yes the bunk I fill up is the same and I fill normal IndianOil diesel.

The filter maybe a valid point. and so too the turbo injectors.

Jaggu san, can you comment?
Old 16th September 2008, 10:19   #820
Team-BHP Support

@geek: just goto your service shop and get the airfilter cleaned, that should sort out the sluggishness. If you can wait for the 20k mark to do the service, since its a major one.

ps: i suggest you get the job done at a good dealer ship which has done work on Diesel swifts, there are lots of consumable replacement and dont take a change with someone learning at your cost.

No there are no issues with sifting to mobil delvac mx after a flush job.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th September 2008 at 10:20.
Old 16th September 2008, 15:30   #821
Senior - BHPian

the guru has woken up

thanks jaggu and yes i think i ll pull on until 20k. i always give my maruti cars (3 of them so far) to Green Cars in Koramangala Area. They know my cars as much as they know me and wont risk doing a bad job. In fact I am their preferred customer in some sense.

And I am very particular with them on what I need, and they call me before doing any changes to the parts.
Old 30th September 2008, 16:07   #822
Senior - BHPian

ok its now 18000 kms, and sluggishly inching towards 20k. the torquey push seems a bit low now, maybe bad air filters, requiring cleaning. but i am holding it until 20k. otherwise the car is as good as usual.
Old 15th October 2008, 20:22   #823
Senior - BHPian

its now 18400 kms and the car seems to be getting from bad to worse. the gear knob isnt slotting too well these days. add to that the drop in the torquey push and the ride has begun to feel bad. the engine noise is coarse now and i am desperately thinking of a premature service for these

- complete clean up of car
- change of filter
- change of oil from synth to mineral with flush
- adjusting gear knob to feel normal again
- other tune ups and greasing

must i particularly look at something else?
Old 15th October 2008, 20:35   #824
BHPian

Sriks, get your baby serviced ASAP. Do not drag till 20K. A good tune up and adjustments apart from regular servicing should most likely do the job.
Old 16th October 2008, 01:21   #825
Team-BHP Support

Before going to the service station, make sure you call up and confirm about the availability of the diesel filter element. Make sure you replace it even if the service attendant tries to talk you out of it (if they di not have the part in stock). And it should cost you in the range 0f 900. Expect around 5k as the service cost if you go in for a flush.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks