Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:02   #751
Senior - BHPian

18k for denting & painting a door & fender?? What are they going to paint it with? Gold Dust? That's a bloody rip-off man, even the best body shops will do this work for less than half that money.
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:27   #752
BHPian

Sorry for the accident GeekSrik.
But 18k?!!! I agree with Ishan, looks like a rip-off.. which service center is this?
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:32   #753
BHPian

18k, I feel, is way too much. IMO, it should not cross 8k.
I think, following would give you some idea.

Recently I got my bonnet, front bumper & rear bumper replaced along with the new fibre/plastic parts; Dent(which was almost similar to your case) was removed from the left fender and re-painted; The rod/iron bar,just behind the front bumper / infront of AC condenser got replaced ( I am not sure about the correct terminology here, hope you got the picture) - all these for 24k approx under insurance. For me, eventhough this price looked a bit on the higher side than normal, it didnt pinch hard because of insurance claim.Pratham did the body repairs and indeed was a good job.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 22nd April 2008 at 15:37.
Old 22nd April 2008, 17:52   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately I have only myself to blame for my dent, having turned too soon and too sharply around a median) although some nasty local children are responsible for my scratches. Haven't done anything about any of it yet, but your estimate really puts me off! Oh dear....

But hey, just think about all those days when nothing bad happened: there's going to be many more.
Old 22nd April 2008, 18:04   #755
BHPian

Sorry to hear about this, GeekSrik. It does hurt but life goes on, make sure they do a good job with the bodywork. 18K? I think you should have got a second opinion.
Old 23rd April 2008, 08:12   #756
Senior - BHPian

well the 18k was just an out of the mind figure. the exact specifics are something i need to get yet. this is green cars, koramangala, MASS. i ll have to talk to them today to get exact details. i am going with a MASS because I would like to be with a maruti authorized service center for these things.

thad, yes you are right. there are many good days compared to bad ones. but the real moral of the story I learnt is : REDUCE THE SPEED, even if you are on the right side!
Old 24th April 2008, 00:01   #757
Team-BHP Support

Going by the pics and my MASS guy's pricing, not more than 2-3K.
Old 24th April 2008, 10:36   #758
Senior - BHPian

an update, they have changed one door, since it was not repairable. apparently there are two parallel bars going from bottom left to top right. these were dented and they could not repair that as they say its useless to do that since it would still compromise the original safety. so new door in place now, painting going on today. cost of door = 6700 bucks of which i ve to pay 10% since car is between 6 - 12 months old + 800 for labor (painting is taken care otherwise).

0 -6 months of car - owner pays 5%
6-12 - 10%
12-24 - 20%
24-60 - 25% (i think)
> 60 months old - 50%

so the older your car is, more goes off your pocket. moral of maruti story, keep buying new cars often

So much for now. expecting to get car by evening. costs could ve been upto 10k more or less.
Old 24th April 2008, 15:07   #759
BHPian

I dont think you need to pay for labour if you are claiming insurance. But to my astonishment I found that we need to pay the service tax of 12.4% (or so) for the labour!!

There will be an amount of Rs 500/- that you will need to pay against each claim along with the other actuals which they call as "compulsory deductible".

You can find a chart in most of the MASSs' giving details of the depreciation, other charges etc against the insurance claim. IIRC, upto 2 years old vehicle the depreciation is 10%.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 24th April 2008 at 15:13.
Old 24th April 2008, 15:29   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
0 -6 months of car - owner pays 5%
6-12 - 10%
12-24 - 20%
24-60 - 25% (i think)
> 60 months old - 50%

so the older your car is, more goes off your pocket. moral of maruti story, keep buying new cars often
Sriky, does this hold good for all car brands?
Old 25th April 2008, 08:00   #761
Senior - BHPian

finney and menon,

i agree with fact that the 800 bucks is more of a compulsory deduction. and finney yes i do think its like this for other brands too, more or less

srikanth
Old 29th April 2008, 14:49   #762
BHPian

Hi

Sorry to hear about this. So what is the status now. When are u going to get the car back.
Old 29th April 2008, 18:55   #763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Sriky, does this hold good for all car brands?
Yes its insurance company calculation and it holds good for all insurance claims irrespective of manufacturer.
Old 30th April 2008, 13:45   #764
Senior - BHPian

ok i got my car back and its back to me with myself and at peace with my mind. have learnt not to ZIP in traffic anymore. going slow with life, enjoying every moment of the traffic without honking either. however long it takes. unfortunately i didnt take the car and instead went by auto with kiddo, to the doc yesterday evening.

by the time i returned, all hell had broken loose with fallen trees, poles all over, absolutely zero visibility, me and my wifey totally wet within the auto and shivering, whirlwinds lightning, and my kiddo was completely scared and he freaked out all over. i wish i never do this again. my swift would have cocooned all this so much better.

Srik
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:09   #765
BHPian

Hi all,

My vdi is now having 800 kms on the odo. Have reved it till 2.5 K rpm. Have been shifting gears in 1.5 to 2K RPM range. Have been hearing noises on higher rpm. The gear shift is smooth sometimes, and hard at some other times. Not sure whether it is related to shifting at different rpm bands. Now facing the shift slightly tight with the 2nd Gear. Other gear shifts have smoothened off. Have not given it for the first service.
Have not started calculating mileage as i could see, the correct mileage settles down after the first service.
Will be driving Chennai to Nellore tomorrow and will be returing the same day. This is the first long drive i am going to take the beauty, except for short trips in ECR. Will be having 4 travelling during day time, meaning A/C on always. The tyres are 185/70/14. Guys any tips / any checks on the long drive.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks