Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2008, 14:05   #661
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I own a May 2007 Swift LDi, and have completed a little less than 10k km so far. Recently I have observed a strange humming sound when I am in stop-and-go traffic. The sound can be heard whenever I have my foot on the clutch while in 1st gear, and disappears once the clutch is released completely. Is this a sign of clutch wear-and-tear? Since my car is still covered under warranty, can I get this replaced at my next scheduled service at 10k km? Have any of you had a similar experience?

Thanks a tonne!
Old 28th February 2008, 15:57   #662
Senior - BHPian

Hi nikunj_cal,

> since I did not go for the 5th alloy , the only way of Tyre Rotation in my case > I think will be taking out the uni-directional tyres from the alloys and refitting > them !

Uni directional tyres are meant to be on specific sides and best will be to switch front and rear, if you are keen about tyre rotation.
Old 28th February 2008, 19:22   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
Hi Guys,

I own a May 2007 Swift LDi, and have completed a little less than 10k km so far. Recently I have observed a strange humming sound when I am in stop-and-go traffic. The sound can be heard whenever I have my foot on the clutch while in 1st gear, and disappears once the clutch is released completely. Is this a sign of clutch wear-and-tear? Since my car is still covered under warranty, can I get this replaced at my next scheduled service at 10k km? Have any of you had a similar experience?

Thanks a tonne!
I have completed 15000 kms, mine is a Vdi ABS and I started noticing this sound a week back. Not regular though. Will get it checked soon.
Old 28th February 2008, 19:37   #664
Senior - BHPian

Clutch is not covered under waranty.But you can try for a good will waranty which is the descretion of the service manager.He would have to send a report to MSIL for it.But are you sure the sound is due to the clutch.
ram
Old 28th February 2008, 19:55   #665
BHPian

@ TNAWAYAJ & Kuttapan,
Are you referring to a hissing (to be precise?) sound? Whenever I start to move from halt in the first gear just for few seconds while just starting to release clutch. Once I release it goes away. I started getting this around 5000 Kms

Checked with my service advisor, he told nothing to worry. As it is a hydraulic clutch the hissing comes is the answer. I left it as it is no harm. It is 10100 kms now.
Old 29th February 2008, 10:00   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
@ TNAWAYAJ & Kuttapan,
Are you referring to a hissing (to be precise?) sound? Whenever I start to move from halt in the first gear just for few seconds while just starting to release clutch. Once I release it goes away. I started getting this around 5000 Kms

Checked with my service advisor, he told nothing to worry. As it is a hydraulic clutch the hissing comes is the answer. I left it as it is no harm. It is 10100 kms now.
Hello blorebuddy!
Actually it is more of a humming sound, and not so much of hissing. Will get it attended to and post a reply soon. Thanks for your replies!
Old 29th February 2008, 10:17   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Clutch is not covered under waranty.
does MSIL's warranty not cover the clutch in any of their cars or only on the Swift D? in either case it seems quite shady - clutch assembly is by no means a meaningless add on which can be excluded from the warranty without any worries
Old 29th February 2008, 11:11   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Trouble is --- it's a 'consumable', and many drivers do consume their clutches by the way they drive; many of us have bad habits, and, although I haven't worn out a clutch yet, I don't exclude my own.
Old 2nd March 2008, 00:24   #669
Senior - BHPian

True - for a manufacturer, it does not make financial sense to offer warranty on clutch, as many of us(Indians) abuse the clutch, partly due to traffic conditions also.

That said, the service personnel should be smart enough to detect and admit genuine manufacturing/quality issues and honour them under warranty. Goodwill or otherwise.
Old 2nd March 2008, 14:20   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed! There was a post here, not so long ago, of a guy having so much trouble with the clutch, whilst having had none with other cars, that it could only have been a manufacturer's fault.
Old 2nd March 2008, 14:36   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
@ TNAWAYAJ & Kuttapan,

The hissing sound is from the clutch release bearing and has nothing to do with hydraulics.
Old 2nd March 2008, 18:16   #672
BHPian

Just went for wheel balancing and alignment, added weights in the range of 40-51 grams for each of my four alloys . I also rotated my wheels, since i have only four alloys with directional venturas, he just shifted the back tyre to the front of the same side of the car.Simple and effective.

@trrk - So no need to take out the tyres .

When i told him that I was maintaining 34psi in the front and 32psi in the rear he immediately told his men to reduce all of them to 30psi. I questioned him why , he said that the venturas should have max to max 32psi and 30 psi is optimum for all four wheels. He also said that thicker wheels with more air would mean more vibration and a bumpy ride . This increases rattles as well as ride quality really goes down .

Also went for wheel alignment , I was shocked to see the car alignment was really off a thing which is known as "toe in". I hope i have the spelling right. After the adjustments when i drove the car i immediately the ride was soooo much smoother because of the reduced psi I guess.Handling had improved a bit and the car felt lighter while taking turns!!

On my way to the shop some F****ER scraped the rear arch of my car . He was driving a getz prime. Waxpol to the rescue and voila all that remained was a small dent with a cut on top . All the Maroon colour had come off( Getz colour was maroon). Looking at the damage i could estimate that the guy did more damage to his car than he did to mine. Oh well shrug off and move on , I guess ! My car is geeting hit every 15 days so i guess I will wait for all the dents and scratched and then get the body work done !
Old 2nd March 2008, 19:50   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

some F****ER scraped the rear arch of my car too. It was me, cutting a U turn too tight and catching on the meridian.

I'm afraid my not-yet-one swift is very far from being pristine already.
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:08   #674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikunj_cal View Post

When i told him that I was maintaining 34psi in the front and 32psi in the rear he immediately told his men to reduce all of them to 30psi. I questioned him why , he said that the venturas should have max to max 32psi and 30 psi is optimum for all four wheels. He also said that thicker wheels with more air would mean more vibration and a bumpy ride . This increases rattles as well as ride quality really goes down .
Hope he considered its a diesel car, heavier front end My 2 cents, 99% of tyre wallahs dont know the details. With 30 psi be careful while landing on pot holes at high speed.

Yes the vibration and rattle will be less, which apart from being an obvious fact, should NOT be the ONLY reason to reduce Psi.

I use this Psi, based on the rough road condition, careless way i end up in those pot holes and mileage in mind.

cheers
Jaggu
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:28   #675
BHPian

Even I was advised by the Tyre guys to have 30 psi all around for my Potanza GIII. At first I didnt oblige and put 33 in front and 31 in the back. Later I found that the ride is really smooth with 30 psi all around and now is sticking on to it. Mileage slightly decreased after making 30s.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks