Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 11:03   #1081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Try out with a different battery and you can rule out if its battery issue.

I guess 74 is higher wattage, but will it fit the bay? If so its ok, might be slightly more expensive.
MASS guys used another battery and car started with no issues. But then I too don't have this issue all the time, 8/10 times I am able to start the car with no problems. Anyways have decided to replace the battery.

Yes DIN74 is a 74 ampere battery, it fits in exactly with no modifications to the bracket. My only concern was about the alternator able to charge this battery. Have zeroed in on Amaron with 5 years guarantee, cost about 7800 after exchange of old battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

But No harm in getting water drained anyways, there is a nut at the bottom of the fuel filter to drain +get the fuel sedimenter drained.

If the vehicle keeps cranking, battery is the least suspect, again just get the battery also checked from a battery guy.
Yep dadu, fuel filter was drained.

Does anyone know if the car will die out if the battery has low charge once it starts? Last night I started the car and as soon as i switched on the lights the car engine went off. I waited a while and cranked again and the car started. I revved the engine a bit and all seemed to be ok. Will see what is the status after battery change.

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2010 at 12:06. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:19   #1082
Team-BHP Support

Yes modern day ecu engines can switch off if the battery conks off. Meanwhile have you checked all other electricals, including alternator charging, voltage etc?
Old 28th December 2009, 12:22   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Yes modern day ecu engines can switch off if the battery conks off. Meanwhile have you checked all other electricals, including alternator charging, voltage etc?
Service guys claim that they have checked that as well and zeroed in to a week battery. I had the battery checked from a battery shop and he said battery was dropping charge and is weak but does not require immediate replacement.
Can alternator charging be checked at the battery dealer?

Last edited by anshurao : 28th December 2009 at 12:24.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:30   #1084
Team-BHP Support

Yup and if one of the cells are shorted then battery might not give out the required current or voltage causing this random shut down.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:33   #1085
BHPian

This could be it, I had faced this issue some time back but was sorted out by itself.Battery went almost dead, had this issue for about a week and then started working as usual.

Last edited by anshurao : 28th December 2009 at 12:35.
Old 28th December 2009, 15:16   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Hello Guys,

Now my question is, can a weak battery cause the engine to go dead after starting?
Yes it can. In fact this happened to me around 57K kms. One fine morning the car started only on the 3rd crank. At the same time the "water in fuel filter" light and the "Service" light lit. When I switched off and then restarted, the Service lit remained lit unless the engine is started. That means the error code is registered. Took it to MASS, and they said it may be because of poor battery. They said I can manage for few more weeks like this, but it is safe to change. They cleared the error code.

I tried to manage 3-4 days more, but found that every morning, it takes 3-4 cranks to start and the error comes in. Took the car to the AMARON dealer and changed the battery. Got Rs 500 for the old exide. Everything is ok now. I even came to realise that off late I was holding the key in start position a little bit more to get the car started. As soon as the new battery came, the crank felt as if in the initial days.
Old 28th December 2009, 16:46   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you regularly do underbody wash then struts dont need maintenance, otherwise it is definitely a good idea. Trust my experience with this
+1, recently after my ooty stint with all the mud and other stuff, I used to get a creaky sound. A nice underbody was and greasing did the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_julian View Post
1. I find that the throw of the headlights has a very limited range in the low beam setting - even with the level set to 0. On the highways I am forced to use the high beam almost all the time as I can't see more than say 20 feet in front with the low beam. Can I ask the service center to raise the beam a little bit or is this the intended design, and hence a bad idea to change it?

2. Has anyone explored the option of adding a remote boot opener for the times when your arms are full of groceries?
Regarding point 1, I too feel in my swift (zxi, not DDIs ). Is it worth upgrading to 95/100W.

Point 2, Zxi has a soft touch button which opens the boot. There is no keyhole at the boot nor boot opener knob inside. Don't know if maruti is overconfident with the soft touch button. if it conks off there is no way to open the boot. I was contemplating some methods of simulating that switch to make it as a remote opening stuff.

@jaggu
Swift rocks!
Nice thread, loads of info

And regarding battery, I too once had an issue of the car going dead, and cranking issues. Took to MASS and found that my +battery terminal had a lot of chemical reactions and some powdery stuff accumulation. Cleaned it and applied that jelly stuff, and things are fine.

Last edited by laluks : 28th December 2009 at 16:48.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:22   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
At the same time the "water in fuel filter" light and the "Service" light lit. When I switched off and then restarted, the Service lit remained lit unless the engine is started.
Aa! this the exact same problem I am facing, so it is indeed the battery. I am placing an order right away.

Thanks a million

Battery replaced with DIN74 Amaron Pro. I haven't had issues for last two days so it looks like the battery was the culprit. However the SVS light now stays on and only goes off once the engine is started. I also notice that the power steering light now goes off faster than before, this too could be linked to a weak battery.

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2010 at 12:07. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:15   #1089
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Lalu for the comments

Anshu: Get the error codes cleared using a scanner, it will be back to normal with the tell tale lights.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:11   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
+

Regarding point 1, I too feel in my swift (zxi, not DDIs ). Is it worth upgrading to 95/100W.
Yes the difference with 100/90 is significant. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1534855 as can be seen from these before and after pics
Old 6th January 2010, 12:04   #1091
BHPian

Jaggu

In this thread you had good things to say about this tyre shop.

Can you share the details of the location as it is time for me to go ahead and perform rotation, alignment for my car and would love to try this vendor

Thanks

Sateesh
Old 6th January 2010, 13:10   #1092
Team-BHP Support

Sateesh: Approximate location is the Green Arrow, hope this helps.

Basically under the flyover, there is a small traffic triangle just before the signal and when you look to the Left you can see the shop.

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-madhus.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th January 2010 at 13:12.
Old 6th January 2010, 19:23   #1093
BHPian

Hey Jaggu,

I'll be in Bangalore sometime during the 1st week of Feb, was thinking of getting a 3M job done on the exterior and interior of my car. How long does this process usually take? and where in Bangalore do these guys have their workshops?

Thanks,
Anshu
Old 7th January 2010, 07:36   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Sateesh: Approximate location is the Green Arrow, hope this helps.

Basically under the flyover, there is a small traffic triangle just before the signal and when you look to the Left you can see the shop.
Thanks a lot. This is the shop at Langford road and double road intersection I guess. Thanks to Condor I got some names too.

Cheers

Sateesh
Old 7th January 2010, 12:25   #1095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Hey Jaggu,

I'll be in Bangalore sometime during the 1st week of Feb, was thinking of getting a 3M job done on the exterior and interior of my car. How long does this process usually take? and where in Bangalore do these guys have their workshops?

Thanks,
Anshu
You can get it done at most of the dealers, which gives better pricing also. It will take half a day for both the jobs put together. If you are driving back to Goa i would suggest getting this done in Goa after the drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks