Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2023, 17:29   #1696
BHPian

Re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
told them to see if the Oxygen Sensor of any other Vehicle is similar and guess what, we found one. The Oxygen Sensor of the Wagon R has the same structure that goes into Exhaust system. The Coupler at the other end has a different structure, but the Number of Wires and Colors of the Wires is the same. It was decided to take out the Metal Pins from the Wagon R Oxygen Sensor and put them in the Plastic Coupler body of the Original Grand Vitara Oxygen Sensor. The cost of the Wagon R sensor was 1500 or something compared to 8000 of the Original one.
Spot on ! This is exactly the method what I was going to suggest to fix the O2 Sensor. Cleaning it first with a cleaner is the way to give it a shot but if that too fails then finding a suitable O2 Sensor with the same thread size and depinning the pins and exchanging the connector casing is the easiest solution.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 19:12   #1697
HTC
BANNED

Went on a two day trip to Mahabalipuram during dasara holidays. Vitara performed well on TN highways. Took the Blr-Vellore-Kanchipuram route. Though there was some road construction going on between Ambur and Vellore, GV performed well to handle the service roads and diversions. Maintained 90-100 speeds and easily the tank range was 700kms +. Not bad for a 2 liter guzzler.

Though it's a decent sized SUV, the Full time 4WD gives immense grip which results in confidence like driving a hatchback. Fresh AC gas helped to keep the cabin temperature cool. Couple of times, new gen THAR guys slowed down to take a look at GV ( GVs are pretty rare in south ). Also learnt that the right arrow next to low-fuel indicator means the fuel inlet is on the right side of the car. Pretty thoughtful I would say.

Few rattles and cabin shake when try to hold 3rd gear on slow speeds needs to be checked. Rest all good. We had fun time exploring mahabalipuram. Did some statue shopping and silk saree shopping in kanchipuramon the way back. Not to forget good plantain leaf meals at Hotel Sri Saravana Bala and decent meals at sai sangeet restaurant.

Cheers
HTC
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-20231024_184327.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-20231021_123451.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-20231021_123122.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-20231021_123022.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-20231020_110127.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-20231021_121639.jpg  

HTC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 08:21   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All

I had figured it out through my OBD2 Scanner. I would clear the error and it would come back.
I was thinking if it makes sense to replace the Low Beam H7 and High Beam HB3 bulbs replaced for better visibility at night. Has anybody tried LEDs ? Any views ?

Styler
Could you share the details of the OBD2 scanner?
A lot of us have HIDs in the low beam. I also had this, but I reverted to halogens as it less of a hassle and I can use the flash function freely during overtaking.
To aid in illumination I have got Bi-xenon projector fog lamps fitted. They are very effective. The newer bi-led projector fog lamps are even more effective. I have one such set in my Santro and they easily outperform the hid counterparts.
Old 25th October 2023, 08:38   #1699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Maintained 90-100 speeds and easily the tank range was 700kms +. Not bad for a 2 liter guzzler.
What FE are you getting? I rarely get above 10kmpl these days. I am at 173K kms now, on original clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Also learnt that the right arrow next to low-fuel indicator means the fuel inlet is on the right side of the car. Pretty thoughtful I would say.
That arrow indication is present in every car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After two days of picking up the car, I ran into a new problem. I started the car and discovered that the clutch has become too light, and I can't change into 1st gear, no matter what. My usually heavy clutch was sinking like a stone, not even coming back in a hurry.
1) Slave clutch cylinder needs replacement.
After getting with a new clutch cylinder, the problem continued. If I stop and pump the clutch few times, then it becomes fine. Couple times, the clutch pedal didn't come up when the engine was off. However, that never happened when the engine was ON or when car was moving.

After checking with the workshop GM, he said there are two cylinders in operation, one inside the gear box and the other near the clutch pedal. They suspected one, but it seems like the other should be replaced too. So GV is back to the workshop for the second cylinder replacement.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 09:14   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
A lot of us have HIDs in the low beam. I also had this, but I reverted to halogens as it less of a hassle and I can use the flash function freely during overtaking.
To aid in illumination I have got Bi-xenon projector fog lamps fitted. They are very effective. The newer bi-led projector fog lamps are even more effective. I have one such set in my Santro and they easily outperform the hid counterparts.
Any ELM 327 OBD2 Scanner works. It is recommended to use Wifi ones for Iphone or Bluetooth ones for Android.
Since I have an Iphone I use something like this:
I downloaded a few OBD2 free apps from Appstore and iOBD2 and Car Scanner for IOS both seem to do the job.

Quote:
After getting with a new clutch cylinder, the problem continued. If I stop and pump the clutch few times, then it becomes fine. Couple times, the clutch pedal didn't come up when the engine was off. However, that never happened when the engine was ON or when car was moving.

After checking with the workshop GM, he said there are two cylinders in operation, one inside the gear box and the other near the clutch pedal. They suspected one, but it seems like the other should be replaced too. So GV is back to the workshop for the second cylinder replacement.
I replaced the one in the Cabin near the pedals. It's a Plastic thing.
For the mileage you have done with the Original Clutch I would recommend you get the whole Clutch overhauled including the Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate and the Clutch Bearing.
Styler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 10:49   #1701
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I replaced the one in the Cabin near the pedals. It's a Plastic thing.
Just gave the GV to the workshop. Yes, they changed the master cylinder near the pedal earlier since it is easier and cheaper. The slave cylinder is inside the gearbox, it is more expensive and plenty of labour to change it.

Now it will be changed too.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th October 2023 at 10:51.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 15:19   #1702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just gave the GV to the workshop. Yes, they changed the master cylinder near the pedal earlier since it is easier and cheaper. The slave cylinder is inside the gearbox, it is more expensive and plenty of labour to change it.

Now it will be changed too.
If you are replacing the slave cylinder inside the gearbox, I suggest you replace the clutch and pressure plate as well if they are quite old. Because anyway the gearbox will be removed. A fresh gear oil as well. Just check with the workshop if the labor will be significanly extra for replacing clutch plates as well. If no, then it would be a good idea to replace the clutch plate+pressure plate+release bearing.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 23:08   #1703
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Not to derail this thread, could you share the make of bi-led projectors? I am tired of changing the burnt ceremic bulb holders running on 100/130 H4. I see frequent night running on highway and can't keep stock bulbs so I am looking for options to suppliment stock bulbs. I can send you DM if like to. Thanks.
Old 25th October 2023, 23:41   #1704
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
What FE are you getting? I rarely get above 10kmpl these days. I am at 173K kms now, on original clutch.

That arrow indication is present in every car.
Got fuel filled till auto cutoff. Trip FE stands at 10.1 kmpl. This includes driving in city traffic and some spirited driving in the return leg. I have habit of releasing the clutch pedal slower to make sure the gear has slotted properly. This may contribute to little low FE.
HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 08:28   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticHermit View Post
Not to derail this thread, could you share the make of bi-led projectors? I am tired of changing the burnt ceremic bulb holders running on 100/130 H4.
Something like these:
https://carconceptsshop.com/products...s-with-bracket
https://www.hotcarshop.in/productdet...s&_pc=PROD5792
Go with what your local shop recommends. If your existing wiring and fuses are robust enough you can connect the fog light switch to the ballast. Do not let the chap splice your high beam wire for the high/low function - get an additional switch for this .
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 18:20   #1706
BHPian

I'm thinking of ordering H7 and HB3 from this Amazon India link to replace both High Beam and Low Beam.
Will they fit without cutting the rubbers is the Headlight housing is difficult to know.

In US they are selling a set of 6 LED Bulbs for under $30- High Beam, Low Beam, Fog Lights.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 26th October 2023 at 18:22.
Old 19th November 2023, 00:33   #1707
RJM
BHPian

Can anyone confirm if the water pump and compressor is interchangeable between 2.0L Grand Vitara (2007-2009) and 2.4L engines (2009+)?

Last edited by aah78 : 19th November 2023 at 03:58. Reason: Typos fixed, spacing fixed. Please proof read. Thanks!
Old 8th December 2023, 00:26   #1708
Team-BHP Support

I got the Grand Vitara back from the dealership with a new slave cylinder, the clutch pedal problem is finally solved. However, I also found out that other clutch parts are on the last legs. I can still drive 10K-20K if driven on highways. The city traffic might kill the clutch faster.

Since the Grand Vitara experienced back to back parts failure, both my wife and my friends started pushing me to finally get a new car. I was busy setting up a new office in Manipal, and I badly needed a car to run around. So I finally booked a Hyundai Tucson.

The Tucson was delivered in Bangalore with an Udupi registration, and I drove it Udupi on November 18th. Next day when the whole cricketing world was watching world cup finals, I had a photo shoot of the handing over the baton. On the very month my Grand Vitara completed 16 years, it is finally being retired as the primary family vehicle.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-ixcd7gwjx3.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-ikfhr8zxx3.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-inb64csmx3.jpg

So what happens to the Grand Vitara? Frankly, I was confused at first. After knowing I had booked the Tucson, I had 4-5 enquiries from buyers interested in taking it off my hands. One BHPian even drove down from Bangalore to test drive it. I had come pretty close to selling it. But nothing had panned out yet when I started having second thoughts.

After driving the Tucson for 1000kms on all kind of terrain and also driving the Grand Vitara during the same time, I discovered the stark difference between the two vehicles.

While Tucson is a great highway car and AWD, it is not really a true SUV. It is primarily a SUV shaped sedan. On bad roads, I am forced to drive it like a sedan. The suspension simply can't take the abuse like Grand Vitara can. On narrow two-lane roads, Tucson is slower than Vitara because it can't overtake the bigger vehicles with one tyre outside the tarmac. Further, it doesn't help that Tucson is wider, longer and has much higher turning radius. Many of my usual roads where Vitara can easily take U-turn, I was forced to take K-turns with the Tucson. I actually found myself taking the Vitara when I needed to visit places with narrow roads and difficult parking situations. Why should I give up this truly rugged SUV?

So, Grand Vitara stays as my second car in Udupi.
Samurai is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 13:22   #1709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The city traffic might kill the clutch faster.
====
So, Grand Vitara stays as my second car in Udupi.
Congratulations on the new car. How come you did not get the complete clutch job done? Or were you not planning to keep the car at that time?

If you use the car regularly it should be fine, but keeping it parked will land up with newer issues.

How much was the quote for the GV? It is a tough call to let this car go, especially with the kind of crap that is in the market and the prices for new Vs resale of GV.

I still believe you should have got the Toyota Fortuner Especially if GV is going to be around. Those Hyundai's are nowhere abuse friendly, some export really guided you wrong.
Jaggu is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 16:20   #1710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How come you did not get the complete clutch job done? Or were you not planning to keep the car at that time?
Yes, since I was thinking about selling it, the workshop friend said to leave it to the next owner to decide about it.

Quote:
If you use the car regularly it should be fine, but keeping it parked will land up with newer issues.
I'll be taking it out frequently when I am there.

Quote:
It is a tough call to let this car go, especially with the kind of crap that is in the market and the prices for new Vs resale of GV.
By the time I drove the Tucson for 1000kms, I knew what I am going to miss...

Quote:
I still believe you should have got the Toyota Fortuner Especially if GV is going to be around.
No, Fortuner is too big and bouncy for my taste.

Quote:
Those Hyundai's are nowhere abuse friendly, some export really guided you wrong.
Hmm, now the same export wants me to buy Jimny to replace the Vitara.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks