Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 01:14   #31
BHPian

congrats. enjoyed reading this wonderfully written experience. enjoy your new ride, hope to see some pics soon. fiat passion huh? its difficult to get rid off!
Old 23rd April 2009, 02:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, I cannot resist those sultry, hot Italian beauties

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
congrats buddy

heard from sagar about your ride, btw where are you picking up the parts here in hyd?
Thanks aadix. I pick up the parts from State Automotive (located in the Ramakrishna Theatre complex) and Auto Start Enterprises - Minister road (next to the Railway under bridge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
congrats. enjoyed reading this wonderfully written experience. enjoy your new ride, hope to see some pics soon. fiat passion huh? its difficult to get rid off!
Thanks Pranava. Yes, I was bitten by the Fiat bug (no pun) when I was a kid and the GTX has re-ignited the passion. There is something in the way Fiat make their cars that puts a smile/grin when you drive them. Their sheer drive-ability makes them much better cars than what a list of specs can ever disclose.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 04:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

is this the car you bought ?
Used 2002 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX SP for sale in Mumbai - Profile Id : S87475 - CarWale.com

If yes, shouldn't the SP model should have airbags and abs as standard equipment. One of the rarest among the rare 1.6 Palio.

EDIT : I guess its a typo in the carwale ad. The owner may have meant PS (Power steering)

Last edited by dipen : 23rd April 2009 at 04:09.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:55   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Ravveendrra, that is one heck of a buying experience. A gearhead really can't get more BHP for the buck than in a pre-worshipped Palio 1.6 GTX. I much prefer the tune of the older engine as well (compared to the slightly more subtle newer breed).

Pictures of your new beast would be great!
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:03   #35
BHPian

hey ravs ,i see many folks wanting to see the ride.

let me help them.

Team-BHP Classifieds - palio 1.6 GTX FOR SALE IN MUMBAI - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

sorry for not keeping the suspense anymore.
Old 23rd April 2009, 21:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
hey ravs ,i see many folks wanting to see the ride.

let me help them.
Drrrrooooool!
Palios look real hot in that colour.
Old 24th April 2009, 23:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Update as on Friday 24 April 2009

Thanks Rajesh for helping out by posting the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congratulations Ravveendrra, that is one heck of a buying experience. A gearhead really can't get more BHP for the buck than in a pre-worshipped Palio 1.6 GTX. I much prefer the tune of the older engine as well (compared to the slightly more subtle newer breed).

Pictures of your new beast would be great!
Thanks GTO, yes the engine is peppy and silky smooth, the same engine in ths Stile just does not seem as good.

I will get one of the TBHPians who are good with cameras to click a few once the car is made presentable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
is this the car you bought ?
Used 2002 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX SP for sale in Mumbai - Profile Id : S87475 - CarWale.com

If yes, shouldn't the SP model should have airbags and abs as standard equipment. One of the rarest among the rare 1.6 Palio.

EDIT : I guess its a typo in the carwale ad. The owner may have meant PS (Power steering)
Yes it is a PS. I do not know whether it is the same one as in carwale. I saw it right here on TBHP. (Link posted by Rajesh)

Update on progress of work:

Thursday saw me going off to Ashoka Wheels to have them check the wheels and tyres. I suspected that one rim was bent or warped. Once the wheels came off, I was proved wrong and right at the same time.

Not one but three of the alloys (OE - Brazilian) were in bad shape. I did not have to be told that the wheels needed to be changed immediately. Unfortunately nothing is available ex-stock in 14" with 98 PCD. I ask about 15" and hit paydirt. The have with them a set of OE alloys from a Linea and they show it to me. They are brand new, it seems that some kid who bought a Linea (Petrol) drove straight there and exchanged them for 17" alloys and shod them with 225/45 R 17 tyres - all I could say was - Ouch! I ask for them to be fitted onto the GTX - the wider (6.0) and higher Linea alloys fit perfectly no touching scraping etc. even with the steering turned to full extent. I am thrilled as I love the simple, elegant look of the Lineas wheels. (I also love the Alloys on the Ford Ikon with their neat lines).

One problem solved, we were faced with another one - tyres. 195/55 R 15s are difficult to come by. Finally I ask them to order for Pirelli P7s. They are due on Monday.

Wheels settled, I drove off to National Car A/c. in Mud Fort (next to Mody Ford workshop). The guy checks the A/c. system for about half an hour with various meters and guages and tells me that it seems ok, but asks me to have the radiators cleaned - first by blowing compressed air over them and then with water under medium pressure. Cheers - one system is A-OK.

Friday: I drive to Srinivas's place late in the morning. We then go off to Auto Start Ent. and pick up the following: Centre Silencer (Rs. 2100/-), Oil Filter (Rs.100/-), Engine Oil - Mobil 1 (Rs. 3720/- for 4 lit), Gear oil - Mobil (Rs. 570 for 3 lit). They promise to have the struts ready by Saturday. I leave the car with Srinivas as I am off to Chirala (Beach) for the weekend. I hope that he is able to get most of the stuff onto the car by the time I return on Monday.

I cannot wait to complete all the essential mechanical stuff and get the car polished and waxed and get decent seat covers. The ICE also needs to be fixed and tweaked.

I drove the Laura today for the first time since the GTX came in and it seems brand new in comparison, mainly due to the suspension and tyres.

Cheers,
Old 25th April 2009, 00:26   #38
BHPian

I remember when the palio 1.6 was launched, we were looking for a new car and I test drove it. Still recall the reassuring thud of the door. It was built to be a tank and then came the rush when I put the foot to the metal.
It was indescribable, she was amazing..whoa what a cat!! That's when it dawned on me as to what a real car should feel like, what power and torque meant and how a car should handle..the romance with the fiat had begun..it was pure auto passion and was annoyed at how the marutis and the hyundais were wrongly changing the definition of a car for India, with their low mileage tin cans (no offense meant fellow bhpians,countrymen and lovers of Maruti and Hyundai)..I was ridiculed by friends for loving a low mileage car...I consoled myself at their ignorance, by turning the other cheek..I was looking forward to having her in the family after the break in Goa.Alas, was not meant to be, by the time I was back, dad had picked up a Maruti Wagon R because of the irresistibly large discount the dealer was offering on the slow mover..so he and his buddy decided to pick up 2 for an even larger discount!
Decided to rekindle the lost love, last year. decided to go for her despite her age. TD her in her new Avatar,nothing had changed, she felt even better, because 7 years of driving the trusty and drab WR had suppressed my desires, but boy did she bring them back!!what a rush,a momentary lapse of reason that I wanted to feel for eternity, but fate would once again have its way and not let it be.Manipal Motors could not assure a delivery even after 2 months of making a booking...slowly sunk into me that maybe it's not meant for me and console myself ...everytime she passes by she ignites a few flames in me!

Last edited by pranava999 : 25th April 2009 at 00:39.
Old 25th April 2009, 00:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

One of the finest car buying experiences I have read on the forum so far. Congratulations on your GTX. It surely stands true for the word 'Hot Hatch' Enjoy your new pocket rocket and keep us updated on the ownership experience.
Old 25th April 2009, 01:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
There is something in the way Fiat make their cars that puts a smile/grin when you drive them. Their sheer drive-ability makes them much better cars than what a list of specs can ever disclose.

Cheers,
Very true. the linea puts that grin back on my face but it's nothing compared to the 1.6 red hot lady!She brought out a larger sinister grin. enjoy the ride and am hooked to this thread...get them pics on soon and keep updating!
Old 25th April 2009, 02:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I drained and changed the coolant and put in Castrol Diesel engine oil (Rs. 1300/- for coolant, oil and distilled water).
Cheers.
A typo Ravvee? Must be...

However have to tell you guys, that the engine was really silky smooth. Loved driving it for whatever short distances I was given the opportunity for. All the very best Ravveendrra for a very satisfying ownership on this car.
Old 25th April 2009, 02:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi sir. Astonishingly detailed write up. Speaks very high volumes of your penchant for perfection:-) anyways, i don.t know if this information holds any value for you now, but Dr. Amey is a good friend. We are from the same circle. And his girlfriend and mine live together near the hospital campus:-) he is a great guy and he's tended to his car well. Hope you enjoy your journey with her and wish you safe miles on this beauty. Please post some pictures of her when she's in shape enough to pass off as a new car(expected from someone as passionate and particular as you :-)
Anyways, nice hearing that a beauty is handed over to the right person. Cheers:-)
Ps: will show this thread to amey. He will be quite shocked to see such serious documentation of your journey with her so far. Thumbsup
Old 25th April 2009, 16:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Thanks Rajesh for helping out by posting the link.
Even I have to thank him for the link as I could confirm the shape of the GTX alloys.

Quote:
Not one but three of the alloys (OE - Brazilian) were in bad shape.
At the TATA FIAT delaership in our capital city, there was an enthusiastic salesman who dealt with my friend when he sat in the Linea.

There was one alloy (GTX but without any logos) on display. He did not know for which vehicle it was. He enquired and told me it was for the Indica and would be around 3750 / 4000 per piece.
Old 25th April 2009, 16:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ravi very well written, great buy! Congrats.

Waiting to see the pics!

btw adding 2T oil would help to solve the dead spot issue? i thought 2T oil is not good for new gen cars??
Old 25th April 2009, 18:56   #45
BHPian

Did not touch base with your thread until today...WOW the 15" Linea alloys would look good on your GTX. But I really did like the OE Alloys you had. When we met in the evening, you overtook me near a U-Turn and they looked hot, sad to see them go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks