Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 15:33   #91
Senior - BHPian

can we have the detailed break up of the cost for suspension work done?

wish you happy miles
Old 16th May 2009, 16:18   #92
BHPian

A really nice write up. Enjoy the new beast! A great choice.
Old 19th May 2009, 13:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

Break up of bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
can we have the detailed break up of the cost for suspension work done?

wish you happy miles
The break-up is as follows:

Front Strut mounting Rs.814/-
Rear strut mount Rs.814/-
Strut plate (2 nos) Rs.344/-
Strut rubbers (4 nos) Rs.132/-
Elastic pads (2 nos) Rs.434/-
Bushing (4 nos) Rs.416/-
Thrust ring (2 nos) Rs.188/-
Thrust rings (4 nos) Rs.220/-
Rear Lh strut assly Rs.2183/-
Rear Rt Strut assly Rs.2183/-
Bushing (2 nos) Rs.154/-
Front Lh strut assly Rs.2183/-
Front Rt strut assly Rs.2183/-
Front bump stoppers (2 nos) Rs.900/-
Suspension Springs (2 nos) Rs.296/-
Rubber pad Rs.342/-
Rear bumper assly Rs.1817/-
Bumper protector (2 nos) Rs578/-
Pipe (2 nos) Rs.10/-
Throttle body spray Rs.250/-
Rust spray Rs.60/-
Front suspension labour Rs.1200/-
Rear suspension labour Rs.900/-
Wheel alignment Rs.150/-
Rear bumper painting Rs.2000/-
Washing Rs.250/-
Interior detailing Rs.700/-
Polymer coating (ext.) Rs.2,800/-

Cheers,
Old 19th May 2009, 13:59   #94
Senior - BHPian

This can now be called a 'New Palio' with all the parts you replaced.

Can we expect to see this at the meet??
Old 19th May 2009, 16:49   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
This can now be called a 'New Palio' with all the parts you replaced.

Can we expect to see this at the meet??
Well not really 'New Palio', I did spend only Rs.78,180/- in all till now mostly on wheels and tyres (Rs.30K) and suspension (about Rs.25K).

I think I would get lynched if I did not bring it in for closer inspection by the cognoscenti this Friday.

Cheers,
Old 28th May 2009, 08:06   #96
Senior - BHPian

Update as on 28 May - Springs changed

Hi, I got a call from Prabhu on Tuesday informing me that the springs had arrived. The car went in yesterday and I got it back in the evening after all 4 springs were replaced. The total bill came to Rs.3,020/-. Rs.1040 for the front springs (pair), Rs.1180/- for the rear springs (pair) and Rs.800/- for labour (including wheel alignment).

A quick spin in the car in the night revealed a remarkable improvement in handling. No more 'float', the car no longer does a 'boat', that slightly queasy feeling at the bottom of the stomach when the car went over an undulation is no longer there - the car goes over undulations etc with aplomb. The handling is precise and the car feels like it is on rails.

Kkr2kr became an unwitting guinea pig as I tried out the car and I bet he cussed me. The handling, brakes and tyres were thoroughly tested by the dawdlers on the road at 00.30 a.m. A pair of scooterists were quite literally shaken awake by the "whoomp" of the P7s as I braked hard behind them as they casually cut across 2 lanes. I just wish the car had ABS.

I got an opportunity to see the wheels on the car as Hillram TDed it. I must say that they look lovely when spinning. They stick out slightly from the body so the spinning spokes are clearly visible and they can be quite mesmerising.

I think I should stop work on the GTX now except for some minor stuff like getting the air-intake pipe replaced and removing film from the windows.

Next year I shall get the car re-painted, change the front bumper, change the front windshield and perhaps replace the driver's seat.

The last refill of petrol indicated that the car is returning about 9 kmpl. I am sure that the FE would be more if only the car did not produce such music from the exhaust when revved high. That sound is addictive & tempting and I am never one to resist it!

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 28th May 2009 at 08:08.
Old 28th May 2009, 08:29   #97
BHPian

I just can't believe it. Travelling all the way from cyber city to Amchi Mumbai to procure a vehicle? What lit me up is, it is FIAT PALIO so that speaks a lot. It was a nice write up indeed. I enjoyed reading it. I felt as if I was there with you watching you procure your macho. Probably because I am a FIAT fan too. Please put some pics before and after so that it would be really easy for us figure out how it was and how it is now with you.
Old 15th June 2009, 17:55   #98
BHPian

Great thats true Fiat Spirit !
Old 31st July 2009, 17:06   #99
BHPian

Hi Ravveendrra,

Was just amazed at your passion which made you come from all the way Hyderabad to Mumbai to pick up your 1.6 GTX. I must confess that it partly inspired me to buy a used 1.6 GTX myself. Amit's review on his S10 also was very influential. Another thing that made it easy was the low resale value of these cars. I got my self a January 2002 model in Silver after going through a lot of junk at not so attractive prices, even went to Pune to have a look at a S10 ( came back disappointed since engine was vibrating like a truck) The car is in good mechanical condition with the suspension recently overhauled and a relatively new battery( Oct 08). The paint and the bodywork need some attention but that's about it. Everything works!!.The previous owner took good care of the vehicle and got it serviced every 3500kms (including oil change). Parts were changed when required and nothing was left unattended to. I love the way it just lunges ahead when I tap the throttle. I am planning to use the vehicle for some amount of time to confirm if everything is sound before paying attention to her cosmetically. Have just replaced the horn (Bosch @Rs600)

Things I plan to do are
1) Put dual tone Art Leather seat covers.( Prices please?)
2) Paint the bonnet and the roof and attend to some dinks.
3) Replace the OE Blaupunkt Cassette player with a Sony GT 350 HU from my present car.
4)Get the original Blaupunkt Velocity speakers running back in shape if they are not damaged beyond repair and
4) Install a new antenna on the roof ( Prices again)

I was just wondering whether to go the whole hog and get the car completely painted, the cost of which would be approx Rs35000/- or just paint the affected parts and save some money considering that the car is 7½ years old (would it be worth it).

The hose from the air filter box to the engine is cracked. I know I have to get it replaced to prevent dirt from entering the engine. The previous owner has used the car for some time in this condition, I was thinking if it would have caused some permanent damage to the engine. But the engine doesn't exhibit any problem and egarly revs with the slightest input from the throttle. Please advice. Any idea how much it cost's.

Regards,
Old 27th August 2009, 12:52   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotty91 View Post
Hi Ravveendrra,

Was just amazed at your passion which made you come from all the way Hyderabad to Mumbai to pick up your 1.6 GTX. I must confess that it partly inspired me to buy a used 1.6 GTX myself. Amit's review on his S10 also was very influential. Another thing that made it easy was the low resale value of these cars. I got my self a January 2002 model in Silver after going through a lot of junk at not so attractive prices, even went to Pune to have a look at a S10 ( came back disappointed since engine was vibrating like a truck) The car is in good mechanical condition with the suspension recently overhauled and a relatively new battery( Oct 08). The paint and the bodywork need some attention but that's about it. Everything works!!.The previous owner took good care of the vehicle and got it serviced every 3500kms (including oil change). Parts were changed when required and nothing was left unattended to. I love the way it just lunges ahead when I tap the throttle. I am planning to use the vehicle for some amount of time to confirm if everything is sound before paying attention to her cosmetically. Have just replaced the horn (Bosch @Rs600)

Things I plan to do are
1) Put dual tone Art Leather seat covers.( Prices please?)
2) Paint the bonnet and the roof and attend to some dinks.
3) Replace the OE Blaupunkt Cassette player with a Sony GT 350 HU from my present car.
4)Get the original Blaupunkt Velocity speakers running back in shape if they are not damaged beyond repair and
4) Install a new antenna on the roof ( Prices again)

I was just wondering whether to go the whole hog and get the car completely painted, the cost of which would be approx Rs35000/- or just paint the affected parts and save some money considering that the car is 7½ years old (would it be worth it).

The hose from the air filter box to the engine is cracked. I know I have to get it replaced to prevent dirt from entering the engine. The previous owner has used the car for some time in this condition, I was thinking if it would have caused some permanent damage to the engine. But the engine doesn't exhibit any problem and egarly revs with the slightest input from the throttle. Please advice. Any idea how much it cost's.

Regards,
Thanks Milton, I do not know how I missed your queries (as have most others here).

Congratulations on your 1.6 it sounds like it is in great shape.

1 IMHO it is better to get the whole car painted as 7 years is a long time and the paint must be nearing the end of its life.

2 Check to see if your car needs an antenna on the
roof. Some GTXs came with an antenna that is like a small strip on the windshield - attached to the rear view mirror.

3 Seat covers come from about 3K to 50K - take your pick. There is a thread dedicated to art. seat covers.

I am clueless when it comes to ICE - check the ICE section.

Cheers,
Old 15th September 2009, 12:02   #101
BHPian

Hi Ravveendrra,

Amazed at your passion for Palio. My story is alos someting simalr to yours. From the day i first saw palio on road, I Always wanted to have one. And finally I got my self a May 2002 1.2EL model in Silver. Let me tell you this is a well maintained car. I am planning to use this car for atleast for 2-3 years from now.

Things I Plan to do;
1) Change the wheel bearings (Front and rear)
2) Repair the suspensions
3) replace all Belts
4) Replace the stock version HL Bilbs with New Philips Vision+ (Posted this in other forum and got the answers fro this).

I find from the therad here that u have replaced the wheel bearings and Suspensions on your 1.6GTX.
Like to know which Brand Bearings you have bought. Or let me put it this way which brands are best in market for all the things in my list.

Please also let me know the contact of store in opera house from were you have bought all the spares.

And also I am planing to drive to Hyderabad Next week and Wanted to know a person who can service my Car.
Old 15th September 2009, 23:19   #102
Senior - BHPian

Hi Praneeth,

Congratulations on your acquisition, with a little TLC your Palio should serve you well for well over the 2-3 years you mentioned.

I have sent you a PM giving the names and contact details of the shop in Mumbai and the mechanics in Hyderabad. Both the guys Srinivas and Prabhu that I use are extremely good, competent and of unimpeachable integrity, their style of functioning, set-up etc. do vary.

Cheers,
Old 19th September 2009, 14:34   #103
BHPian

Cheers to your passion.
You were lucky to get those Linea wheels.
It resembles Maserati wheels

I am still looking for a S10. But no luck yet. There is one GTX in tbhp classifieds. I dont think the asking price is worth going for it considering re-registration in Kerala.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand Edit: Pictures of Painting Process on Pg9-100_1762.jpg  

Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand Edit: Pictures of Painting Process on Pg9-dscf0578.jpg  

Old 19th September 2009, 17:16   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
Cheers to your passion.
You were lucky to get those Linea wheels.
It resembles Maserati wheels

I am still looking for a S10. But no luck yet. There is one GTX in tbhp classifieds. I dont think the asking price is worth going for it considering re-registration in Kerala.
Thanks Dhar for the pic of the Maserati wheels, I love the way they have worked their emblem into their wheel, just awesome how the spokes echo the Maserati trident.

I saw that ad from Ahd. and was thinking that if the car is as good as it looks and he says, it might be worth considering.

Cheers,
Old 26th September 2009, 11:57   #105
Senior - BHPian

Great thread Ravveendrra. Tangerine mist is the wildest looking color on the GTX. Planning to get my roof painted white and was contemplating white wheels. Your linea wheels has me thinking now.

BTW, Whats your opinion on the white wheels?

Last edited by beejay : 26th September 2009 at 11:58. Reason: BTW...

Most Viewed