Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 12:55   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service

Quote:
That's too much praise heaped on for someone like me. Thank you! And, thanks for the onam wishes! Would a "same to you" apply?!
True words of a humble man. Wish you a Happy onam.

Quote:
Personally, I'm not too happy with the pricing of the New Fiesta. Maybe Ford got carried away by the success of Fiesta and Figo. It needs a serious revision.
+1 to that. Ford has gone horribly wrong with the NFF pricing and it is very much evident from the Aug sales with 400+ unit sold. If @Wizulaizer can wait for some time then the limited editions will be in offing sooner than everyone thought with good price cuts.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 13:21   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
That's too much praise heaped on for someone like me. Thank you! And, thanks for the onam wishes! Would a "same to you" apply?!

Advice is not something I'm too good with. Anyways here goes. A cousin of mine also had the same dilemma. And, he ended up choosing the CLXi. I think CLXi is more of a deal, especially if you can get the dealer to throw in some freebies. The fact that he had driven a couple of thousand kilometers with me when we did the GQ also helped stamp the decision. Couple of questions that you will need to answer:

1. Do you really have the budget to go for a Titanium? It shouldn't be that you put too much into the Titanium and end up running short of fuel money to roam!
2. Would you be really happy if you go for CLXi? Like you mentioned, old looks, old gen engine, and low on features.
3. How long do you intent to keep the car? If its for long term, 5 or more years, then CLXi depreciation is not too much of a concern. Y

Personally, I'm not too happy with the pricing of the New Fiesta. Maybe Ford got carried away by the success of Fiesta and Figo. It needs a serious revision.

Take a test drive of both, and choose what makes you happy. End of the day, it should put a smile on your face when you are at the wheel. Hope I've been of some help.
Hey unni,
Thanks for the Onam wishes, yes they do apply. Thanks to you I am now convinced that the new fiesta is a bit overpriced. Spending around 11 lakhs for a mid level sedan now seems impractical. I cover around 68kms in a day commuting to and fro from home in thane to lower parel, mumbai via the eastern express highway, and the roads are in a terrible state. In fact at some point I was seriously considering a Scorpio to take on the roads. The fact that I would have to attend meetings or social functions in an SUV, changed my mind. However, what would be your opinion of the diesel vento? I just happened to realise that the trendline(entry level) model would cost me around 9.5lacs ...between the two (classic & vento) , what would be a better buy? The avg of the vento is also touted as 17kmpl!

Have test driven the classic fiesta, Honda city, Scorpio of which I found the city to be the best drive, followed by the classic and the Scorpio...will try and test drive the vento next week - so am waiting eagerly for that

Request your thoughts on the same. Thanks!
Old 10th September 2011, 18:10   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizualiser View Post
Hey unni,
Thanks for the Onam wishes, yes they do apply.
Happy Onam to you too! Or rather, Avittam today!

Quote:
Spending around 11 lakhs for a mid level sedan now seems impractical. I cover around 68kms in a day commuting to and fro from home in thane to lower parel, mumbai via the eastern express highway, and the roads are in a terrible state. In fact at some point I was seriously considering a Scorpio to take on the roads. The fact that I would have to attend meetings or social functions in an SUV, changed my mind. However, what would be your opinion of the diesel vento? I just happened to realise that the trendline(entry level) model would cost me around 9.5lacs ...between the two (classic & vento) , what would be a better buy? The avg of the vento is also touted as 17kmpl!
Whats wrong in attending meetings and social functions in an SUV?!! I wouldn't mind doing that ;-). But then, each to his own. Personally, I love the Vento with its understated style, German engineering, good interiors etc. Vento would be a better buy when compared to the Classic. Do read up some Vento reviews on the forum, and you might just make up your mind and shoot for the Vento!

Quote:
Have test driven the classic fiesta, Honda city, Scorpio of which I found the city to be the best drive, followed by the classic and the Scorpio...will try and test drive the vento next week - so am waiting eagerly for that

Request your thoughts on the same. Thanks!
I've driven the Fiesta (lol, obviously), and Scorpio!! And they were more than test drives! Do take a drive of the Vento. I vote for Vento!!
Old 10th September 2011, 20:49   #229

Quote:
Whats wrong in attending meetings and social functions in an SUV?!! I wouldn't mind doing that ;-). But then, each to his own.
Honestly, meetings & social functions would still work out in a Scorpio, but stepping out to buy bread on a Sunday morning in a Scorpio may make me feel a bit awkward for that matter even a Vento! Which is why I may just hang on to my 11 year old santro!

Quote:
I've driven the Fiesta (lol, obviously), and Scorpio!! And they were more than test drives! Do take a drive of the Vento. I vote for Vento!!
Looks like it may just be the Vento after all! Am looking forward to that! Let me also add that I may just test drive the Fiat Linea too but with NO intention of buying it...have had enough feedback from existing owners complaining about its low ground clearance and lack of availability of spare parts! Will keep updating about further developments!
Old 12th September 2011, 21:27   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, meetings & social functions would still work out in a Scorpio, but stepping out to buy bread on a Sunday morning in a Scorpio may make me feel a bit awkward for that matter even a Vento! Which is why I may just hang on to my 11 year old santro!
Keep the Santro for the market trips!!

Quote:
Looks like it may just be the Vento after all! Am looking forward to that! Let me also add that I may just test drive the Fiat Linea too but with NO intention of buying it...have had enough feedback from existing owners complaining about its low ground clearance and lack of availability of spare parts! Will keep updating about further developments!
Do keep us posted on your decision. I guess its Vento all the way!
Old 14th September 2011, 22:29   #231

Just checked the Ford Fiesta Classic today. Yesterday it was I20 CRDI.
Budget is shooting up every day. What could be a better alternative to my present Esteem VXi.

Most Car manufacturers are keeping the Defogger in such a bracket that the Budget is getting affected. Loved the Fiesta Classic,will it justify the 70 kms journey daily.Feed back regarding mileage from existing owners is required.
Old 14th September 2011, 23:58   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Bonding View Post
Budget is shooting up every day. What could be a better alternative to my present Esteem VXi.

Most Car manufacturers are keeping the Defogger in such a bracket that the Budget is getting affected. Loved the Fiesta Classic,will it justify the 70 kms journey daily.Feed back regarding mileage from existing owners is required.
Go as high as your budget can take you. With about 70km daily, a diesel makes sense. Decent driving with AC should fetch you something upwards of 18kmpl on the highways, and about 13-15kmpl in the city, depending on traffic. Defogger is a useful feature and something I've used many times, go for it if the budget permits.
Old 15th September 2011, 00:03   #233

Thanks,This is the best part of Team BHP. When you are in a state of confusion. Help is at hand.
Defogger is truly a useful tool and should be made mandatory. In Highway driving with high humidity and during rainy season this is a must.I atleast need this quite frequently.
Bengal Bonding is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 19:20   #234

Quote:
Keep the Santro for the market trips!!

Do keep us posted on your decision. I guess its Vento all the way!
Ok for all those interested I had a very curiously interesting test drive session today!

First the Vento - well it wasn't a test drive because their test drive vehicle had gone for repairs, but there was a Breeze model in the showroom and so I checked out the stationary vehicle purely from a seating & comfort point of view.

Wasn't such a great experience! To get into the driving seat I had to lower myself a couple of feet, because the car is literally slung very low! Felt like dropping and landing with a thud into the driver's seat. And then my knees were brushing against the steering wheel!! With the seat pulled all the way back! For a guy like me who is over six feet and well over a 100 kilos, the cabin felt just too small :( of course the sales executive quickly came to salvage the lost gloss and 'pulled' up the telescopic steering wheel - which then gave just enough space for my knees. But on the whole even the seat felt not very comfortable - in fact for an instant i found myself comparing it with my santro!

Similar experience at the back, although the upholstery definitely feels rich and superior, the 'drop' to get into the seat is quite unsettling...plus the 'hump' in the centre of the cabin floor is sure to make the middle passenger very unhappy! So on the whole, I was a bit disheartened, only hope that the actual driving experience (slotted for this Saturday) may blow away the blues and convince me after all.

Well it doesn't end here Back home I received a call from the FIAT guy saying he'd got the Linea over for a test drive! Thinking it couldn't get any worse, I went for it - and surprise - the FIAT Linea offers much more in terms of seating comfort, legroom and spaciousness than the Vento! In fact I personally would rate it second only to the Honda City! Even the drive felt good and the 1.3 L diesel engine responded pleasingly enough, at least to my style of driving it did. Overall, surprisingly I had a much better experience with the Linea. It even takes potholes quite well, ensuring a comfortable ride. But ground clearance! ha - that's a different story. My residence is built on a steep incline and comprises of a series of 'undulating' slopes - like large wavy concrete speedbreakers - please see attached image to understand better. I deliberately drove up the slopes and immediately the Linea scraped its underside! The sales exec was quite apologetic and he did offer a solution - he advised that driving the car up in a snake like manner would prevent this from happening. But I can't imagine resorting to driving like that every time I enter or leave the building Also the one fear remains - a FIAT - spare parts - nooooo

Anyways waiting for the Vento test drive on saturday - should be the clincher...cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service-bumpy_slope.jpg  

Old 15th September 2011, 20:51   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have been driving Fiesta for 5 years now with 99500 kms on odo. I drive 85 kms everyday with 40% city and 60% highway drive to office. I get 19-20 kmpl with normal driving with 100% AC on. So i can say that even if you drive this car hard, it will still return around 16-18 kmpl easily. So, go for it
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 22:48   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Ok for all those interested I had a very curiously interesting test drive session today!
Well, you are a big built!! At 6Ft and 95kgs I find the Fiesta a slightly low on space. Did not have that problem initially since I graduated from a Zen, but as the years wore on, I did get the feeling that its a bit cramped. Familiarity breeds contempt, maybe!

The Linea is a more spacious car any time. Even though I've never been at the wheel, I've traveled a couple of times in one, and it sure is comfortable. God help you with your choice!! You do need some help!
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 01:40   #237

I think life was so easy for our parents. Height,weight,Caste Creed everything had two answers Ambassador or Fiat.
My entire childhood passed travelling in a Willy's.Always wanted to change it to Amby and now I want the old days back...... Life to be easy .Wife wants comfort,Colleagues want class ,I want affordability.
Old 16th September 2011, 10:27   #238
BHPian

Quote:
I think life was so easy for our parents. Height,weight,Caste Creed everything had two answers Ambassador or Fiat.
My entire childhood passed travelling in a Willy's.Always wanted to change it to Amby and now I want the old days back...... Life to be easy .Wife wants comfort,Colleagues want class ,I want affordability.
Even now Life is easy go For Linea , Its very Comfortable, looks class and very easy on pocket, and addition to it you get class leading handling , also currently they are having too many offers due to low sales. Service and spare parts cost/availability is not that bad as its projected. I hardly faced any spare parts issues.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:12   #239
BHPian

68000kms

It has been a while since I've posted anything much about the car. The ownership has been peaceful, and with the car at my native for a while, the kilometers piled on was also less.

About a month back, I got the car back to Bangalore, and did a couple of short drives. Nothing worth mentioning there. However, over the last weekend, we did a Kodaikanal trip. I dont've almost any scenery pictures to spice up the thread though! It was a pretty fast onward drive, with certain sections averaging 108kmph. But then, nothing can be picture perfect, and we understood that on the way back.

Cruising back down the ghats from Kodaikanal, everything was as perfect as perfect could be! As we neared the plains, heat started building up and I put on the AC. There was a weird repetitive noise (something that went chak-chak-chak) when the compressor caught on. Stopped for a peep under hood and found that the fan belt had started coming apart. I could see a few strands of string-like material coming off the belt. Didn't want to risk driving back to Bangalore with the fan belt in that state and decided to push off to Madurai, which was in the opposite direction to my initial destination.

Called up Ford Customer Service to check if they could arrange for someone to look at the car, even though it was a sunday. Initially they refused, and after a bit of cajoling they agreed to take a look, but told that no repairs could be done since the workshop closed. About 10kms from the Madurai Service Center, the noise increased (note, I was driving with out the AC on since I didn't want to put any additional strain on the already strained fan belt!), and I stopped for a look see. And, this is what I saw:

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service-fanbelt.jpg

Almost all of it had shredded off. With family on board, I didnt want to take the risk of driving, and end up stranded on the middle of the road. Called up the Service Center and asked them to send someone to where we were at 3:30pm. And the long wait started. I had also noticed that there was some oil leak around the fan belt area and could not place as to what it was. I hoped maybe it was some bust bearing of the many wheels that the fan belt runs through.

It was becoming evident that we would have to stay in Madurai since it was getting late. Called up sv1976 and shajufx for help with locating a hotel, if possible near the service center. As luck would have it, shajufx was able to find a Madurai BHPian online and got me his number. In comes, jyobeb. He changed the whole helpless nature of being stranded in an unknown place to a wholly positive experience. He became our Savior.

jyobeb took over from there on. All I did was follow the lead. He got a hotel booking done for us, and drove down to where we were stranded. He was with us all through, and arranged for me to get the car securely parked in a Chevrolet showroom. He identified the oil leak I had seen as power steering fluid:

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service-powersteering.jpg

Time was flying by and the service center guys reached us by about 7pm. By then, the car was securely parked in the Chevrolet showroom. jyobeb asked them to collect the car in the morning and get it repaired. Next day morning, they towed it to the service center and declared that the power steering pump needs to be replaced. Although they were unable to come up with a specific reason as to why it developed a leak, they told, "it happens'. Not in a mood to dig deep and find the cause, told them to go ahead and do the repairs. The bill:

Parts

1. V Belt - Rs 655/-
2. Pump Power Steering - Rs 2792/-
3. Power Steering Fluid - Rs 404/-

Labor

1. Power Steering Pump Remove and Install - Rs 468/-
2. Accessory Drive Belt - Remove and Install - Rs 130/-
3. Towing Charges - Rs 2000/-

Total - Rs 7275/-

Positives - Power steering pump is just Rs 2792. Isn't that pretty cheap for an expensive brand like Ford. Might be due to local manufacturing now.

Negative - The towing charge was a bit too much.

On a different note, the lock release mechanism of the boot costs ~Rs5000/-. Beat that. Guess that is still being imported.

I would like to Thank jyobeb for all the help extended. There was an advertisement tag line that went, you meet the nicest people on a Honda. I think, you meet some of the nicest people on Team BHP, especially when you are stranded!! The whole thing would have ended up being a complete mess if not for him. My wife and kid joins me in thanking you for being there. I owe you one, and next time I'm at Madurai, hopefuly under better circumstances, and from own will, please spare some time.

sv1976 and shajufx - Thank you guys for getting me the Ford Service Center number and tracking my progress. It would have been so much more difficult if not for your help.

And to close on a happy note, those of you who went through my GQ thread will remember JK (my cousin who accompanied me). Well, he has bought a Fiesta Classic now. The Kodai trip was a car-meets-car trip:

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service-cars.jpg
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:22   #240

Re: 68000kms

Quote:
Called up Ford Customer Service to check if they could arrange for someone to look at the car, even though it was a sunday. Initially they refused, and after a bit of cajoling they agreed to take a look, but told that no repairs could be done since the workshop closed.
Then what use providing a Ford 24 hrs Helpline Number? Did you try that? By the way, I love my car
GlobeTrotter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks