Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 16:31   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
I don't think this is a coincidence. I believe all the keys are identical. As you can see, it has a weird shape, specially designed to make holes in your trouser pockets. I'll take it up with Ford, though I don't expect anything meaningful to come out of it. I had taken up the issue of the harsh suspension earlier and all I got was "There is nothing wrong with the suspension", "It is working perfectly", etc. All standard, official replies.
Well, I also have a Figo with a similar key, but the slots are different. This apart, my key does not open the other Fiesta parked in my complex, so this does seem to be a coincidence in your case. Perhaps one in every lakh keys might match, but I'm not sure.
Old 20th August 2014, 16:51   #287
BHPian

I hope to God you're right because my neighbour and I are pretty concerned. I for one keep all sorts of stuff in my boot, from an emergency bag, electric tyre pump, jumper cable, lots of other odds and ends I've probably forgotten about. Let's see what reply Ford gives. I've already sounded them out.
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:07   #288
BHPian

Update to the above: Ford seems to be very concerned about this issue as according to them the keys cannot, or should not, be identical. My neighbour just called from the dealer, where he has gone with his car and my spare key, to show them the problem. They've noted the issue and are forwarding the details to Ford for further action. We've also noticed that the identification numbers of the two keys are identical so it looks like there was a fickle-finger-factor at work during the process of manufacturing the second set of keys, i.e., mine. So, I expect that they will replace one of the keys+lock sets. Hope they do it soon. Anyway, I'm happy with their immediate response to my email.
FarPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:15   #289
BHPian

Good to know that Ford is working on it. Do keep us posted on what happens.
Old 26th August 2014, 17:22   #290
BHPian

I just got a call from Bhavna Ford, my dealer here in Mumbai, saying they will replace the door lock and ignition unit. I've made an appointment for this Friday.
Cheers
FarPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 09:48   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Unni,
Having purchased a Classic Titanium diesel 6 months ago I went through this thread hoping to find some mention of the hard suspension I am experiencing in my car. You have not referred to it at all. So that got me wondering if the suspension in your vehicle is different in any way from mine. Please describe to me how your car behaves when she goes over joints on a flyover or speedbreakers. Mine does with a sharp thud, as if the suspension is non-existent. Over speedbreakers, at little more than crawling speed it feels like something at the mounting points drops and then hits back with a bang. I have had the suspension and struts checked while still new and was told that there is no problem, that the suspension is like this for all Classics. I had taken up this issue with Ford and have been told the same thing. Then someone else told me that this is the case with all European designed cars (and that even though Ford is an American brand, this model has been designed in Europe. Don't know how accurate this bit of info is, though). Let me know if you face the same issue.

If this is so then I think it's a shame. I love the way the car pulls from a signal and its extremely responsive engine but it will all come to nought if I get a slipped disc on our notorious Mumbai roads.
Cheers
Hi,
Even I own a fiesta Classic, Feb 2012 model, 1.4 TDCI and even I was concerned with it's hard suspension. My wife used to get very irritated because it used to shake us to the bone making the ride extremely uncomfortable on uneven roads and tiring. So we can't deny the fact that it is hard and we need to handle the uneven roads with very gentle speeds. Also the trick lies in keeping the tyre pressure at 27 psi. I have often observed that the Metro ford (Lingarajpuram Bangalore) sets the tyre pressure to 27 psi because it gives the best ride quality in this car. Please try this in your car too and let me know if this works out for you. But the negative side of this is that the pulling of the car is compromised, not to a major extent but you will feel the difference. The difference will be more when it is loaded with passengers. Keeping it at 30 psi would be the best option but I personally keep it at 32 psi because the roads that I daily use are good. Also please note that the hard suspensions tend to wear out sooner than the soft ones. Things become worse if we keep high tyre pressures.

Regards,
Amiya
amiya.c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 17:12   #292
BHPian

Thanks Amiya, for sharing your experience. I too maintain a tyre pressure of 30 psi and maybe I'll experiment with 27 soon. I agree with you that the suspension components of the Classic ought to wear out sooner than those of a more softly sprung car, due to the very nature of the harsh ride, so can you advise me on what components you have had to replace on your car, and at what intervals?
Cheers
Old 29th August 2014, 20:01   #293
BHPian

Quote:
due to the very nature of the harsh ride, so can you advise me on what components you have had to replace on your car, and at what intervals?
Cheers
She is in her third year now and has clocked 32500 kms. I did not have to change or replace anything due to wear and tear or failure, touch wood, she has undergone just the normal services at scheduled intervals. However, in my last servicing the SA told me to get the brake pads changed, they have worn out and would last 3 to 4k kms.
amiya.c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:46   #294
BHPian

I had been following Unni's thread for quite sometime and this is one of the factors for me buying my '11 Fiesta Classic. The plastics are a bit hard and at places fragile. Not many complaints from me. The service costs hover about Rs 4500 per 10000 KM. Have clocked 58k till now from Nov 2011. I took the Ford flexi plan last year but I feel its not really worth it. I did feel that I would have paid as much or even less.
I do not feel that the suspension is hard but there is noise when going through uneven surfaces.

There is however one issue that I noticed, when the speed crosses 100, I hear a whistle from the AC, and if there is any foul smell outside, they creep in. Have mentioned this to the service center almost every service and they couldn't fix this. Most times they have done an AC vent cleaning (charging me for that as well, Noticed this recently; have to take this up with them). I feel the recycle system is not shut properly. If I put it in fresh air mode, the sound goes away.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 17:37   #295
BHPian

Glen, I agree the quality of the plastics could be improved, especially the control stalks. Perhaps the suspension softens up later, because right now, at 6 months and 9,000 kms it still feels too harsh for my liking.
I haven't noticed the whistling sound you mention, nor the ingress of outside smell, but in my earlier Qualis the AC did make a whistling sound if one of the vent flaps on the left or right ends of the dashboard was completely shut. Just opening the shut flap a little bit got rid of the noise. Maybe your issue is similar to that, due to different blower pressures in the two modes?
Cheers
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 18:09   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
There is however one issue that I noticed, when the speed crosses 100, I hear a whistle from the AC, and if there is any foul smell outside, they creep in. Have mentioned this to the service center almost every service and they couldn't fix this. Most times they have done an AC vent cleaning (charging me for that as well, Noticed this recently; have to take this up with them). I feel the recycle system is not shut properly. If I put it in fresh air mode, the sound goes away.
Hi Glen. There is a flap that opens to let fresh air in and that might be stuck. I had the same issue in my car and never got it corrected till recently, since it required the whole dashboard to be removed. About 6months back, I had to get the AC evaporator coil changed, and when the dashboard was removed for this, it was found that the flap had jammed open.

You should try for a warranty repair for this, since your service records will show that this issue has been there from the time car was under warranty. Convincing the Ford folks wont be easy though! Also, do give them a piece of your mind for all the AC vent cleaning, since the foul smell was not due to debris/dirt/fungus in AC vent.
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:00   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Hi Glen. There is a flap that opens to let fresh air in and that might be stuck. I had the same issue in my car and never got it corrected till recently, since it required the whole dashboard to be removed. About 6months back, I had to get the AC evaporator coil changed, and when the dashboard was removed for this, it was found that the flap had jammed open.

You should try for a warranty repair for this, since your service records will show that this issue has been there from the time car was under warranty. Convincing the Ford folks wont be easy though! Also, do give them a piece of your mind for all the AC vent cleaning, since the foul smell was not due to debris/dirt/fungus in AC vent.
Thanks Unni, that seems to be the problem. I have tried hard to explain this to the folks at Kairali ford, but they seems to be too lazy to open up the dash board. Once he mentioned - Sir, we are not able to reach 100 in Kerala roads to test this!
During the last service, the SA mentioned about the evaporator coil packing off in Fords after a while so will get this inspected as well. My warranty expires coming November. Ford is not giving an option to extend the warranty to 4th year now.
About the suspension, I feel its alright (I upgraded from a Wagon R, so this might be a factor). I was driving home with my mom after taking delivery of the car. I hit a pothole for which I apologized to her, She replied she didnt feel a thing and was not aware of hitting the pothole; that was the "paisa wasool" moment for me.
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:05   #298
Senior - BHPian

@unni.ak---how much did you spend on the evaporator coil replacement? What were the symptoms ?

Most Ikons had issues with that part, but it looks like some Fiestas are also having that issue, though after munching many more miles.

As regards the suspension, it is not that hard, but just right. At higher speeds, it really aids to the planted feeling. But yes, compared to a WagonR, it is indeed hard at very low speeds, like when going over a speed-breaker. For instance, my complex's gate has a small hump. Whenever I cross it with my WagonR, it hardly gives me any jerk, but on the Fiesta or Figo it does cause a thud. The steering of the Fords is a lot better in feedback, so it gives this feedback also with a bang!
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:46   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Thanks Unni, that seems to be the problem. I have tried hard to explain this to the folks at Kairali ford, but they seems to be too lazy to open up the dash board. Once he mentioned - Sir, we are not able to reach 100 in Kerala roads to test this!
During the last service, the SA mentioned about the evaporator coil packing off in Fords after a while so will get this inspected as well. My warranty expires coming November. Ford is not giving an option to extend the warranty to 4th year now.
About the suspension, I feel its alright (I upgraded from a Wagon R, so this might be a factor). I was driving home with my mom after taking delivery of the car. I hit a pothole for which I apologized to her, She replied she didnt feel a thing and was not aware of hitting the pothole; that was the "paisa wasool" moment for me.
Kairali Ford, Cochin branch? The one near Spices Board? Yeah do get the evaporator coil inspected and also check the flap that opens to let fresh air in. And, do get all of this done before your warranty expires. If you are lucky and you manage to push with the SA, you might get warranty repair done if there are any problems with Evaporator Coil or the flap.

Was your mom sitting at the back? I've had more than a few people tell me that the rear seats and suspension is more comfortable than the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@unni.ak---how much did you spend on the evaporator coil replacement? What were the symptoms ?
The evaporator coil, AC filter and a mesh that was replaced, came up to about 12-13k INR. I will check the bill and let you know the exact amounts later. In fact need to update this thread with those details as well. Have been a little too lazy!
unni.ak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:28   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Kairali Ford, Cochin branch? The one near Spices Board? Yeah do get the evaporator coil inspected and also check the flap that opens to let fresh air in. And, do get all of this done before your warranty expires. If you are lucky and you manage to push with the SA, you might get warranty repair done if there are any problems with Evaporator Coil or the flap.
Yes, the Palarivattom branch. This time around I tried the one on sea port airport road. I prefer getting it serviced at Cochin as I feel it better there. Bangalore ones, I am not happy with them. I tried Metro once, the SA wanted me to replace the brake rotors at 30k.
Quote:
Was your mom sitting at the back? I've had more than a few people tell me that the rear seats and suspension is more comfortable than the front.
She was sitting in the front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks