Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 13:24   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

During night, at times, the headlights suddenly become slightly brighter for a second or two, as if someone has pushed in more current into them and then they are back to normal.

Any clues from anyone?
This is a rectifier regulator problem. Get it checked ASAP as it can spoil your battery with high voltage.
Old 21st January 2011, 13:41   #272
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This is a rectifier regulator problem. Get it checked ASAP as it can spoil your battery with high voltage.
You mean the alternator rectifier?
Old 21st January 2011, 13:44   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean the alternator rectifier?
Yep, thats the one. What you are seeing is a surge in current caused by excess voltage passing into the circuit.
Old 21st January 2011, 17:38   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

During night, at times, the headlights suddenly become slightly brighter for a second or two, as if someone has pushed in more current into them and then they are back to normal.

Any clues from anyone?
Did the panel lights also brighten up? If yes then as said it can be the voltage regulator. Otherwise it may be a loose contact in the head light circuit which is getting better contact during jumps. Some times the relay contacts age and do not deliver full voltage. If you have a multimeter, just measure the voltage drop between the live terminal of the battery and the bulb contact, both with engine off as well as with full revs. A drop of 1 volt or more indicates contact problems.

Last edited by Aroy : 21st January 2011 at 17:41.
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:34   #275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Did the panel lights also brighten up? If yes then as said it can be the voltage regulator. Otherwise it may be a loose contact in the head light circuit which is getting better contact during jumps. Some times the relay contacts age and do not deliver full voltage. If you have a multimeter, just measure the voltage drop between the live terminal of the battery and the bulb contact, both with engine off as well as with full revs. A drop of 1 volt or more indicates contact problems.
AFAIK, no. It is only the headlights that exhibit this feature. Which is why I was also of the opinion that there might be a loose contact somewhere. Since I m at Delhi, I intend to get it checked at a competent ASC/garage at Noida.

Any recommendations?
Old 28th January 2011, 12:13   #276
BANNED

Hariya's FE Drop. Why?

An update on living with Hariya who has crossed 40k kms.

Well, he has been a pleasure to live with. Reliable, dependable and always game to go anywhere that I have wanted to take him to. Had the god-damned rat not invaded him, the TCO would have been around INR 5.00 per km including super expensive diesel at South India but it now stands at around INR 6.00 per km.

I recently drove from Bangalore to Delhi and for some reason the FE has dropped a bit. It seems to have settled down to a constant 12.5kmpl on the highways at speeds of around 90-110kmph. It was 13.xxkmpl for the same speeds on my Shirdi trip last year.
Any inputs? I recently changed the air filter as well.

There are no other issues at all. He still starts up at the first crank even after a week thanks to the phenomenal Cummins VRLA battery, his gait(read the engine and pick up) feel as sprightly as ever, and there are no creaks, squeaks or rattles from anywhere inspite of having travelled on 250kms of very bad roads in MP and UP.

I m planning on fitting a bullbar in the front but since I do not drive in Delhi since I do not know the roads, I might postpone it till I get back to Bangalore.

Am I planning an upgrade? Naah, not till he crosses 150k kms at least.
Old 28th January 2011, 15:53   #277
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Hariya's FE Drop. Why?

Dev!

Please could you advise me as to where I can get this CUMMINS VRLA Battery? How different is it from the standard OEM Amaron and so on? Why do you call it phenomenal?
First time I m hearing of this and basis your recommendation I wouldnt mind buying one for the next change.

I ve recently added in the AUTO COP system because of the burglar alarm. Also have finally changed the headlamps to Hella 90/100's with a relay switch. I never really felt the lack of power in the original stock head lamps but it is true that these 90/100's seem to be better. Can only say for sure when I take the car to the hills next.
My Scorp has done about 38K now and it is almost 3 years old - probably will hit 40k around the time it turns 3. It is still plugging along on the OEM Amaron battery. With these few extra bits and pieces being added in Im sure that the battery will be taking a certain amount of extra load. From past experience, in my Gypsy and Bolero etc, I feel it in my bones that now is around the time that the battery is likely to give up the ghost.
Cheers

Quote:
He still starts up at the first crank even after a week thanks to the phenomenal Cummins VRLA battery
Old 28th January 2011, 16:06   #278
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please could you advise me as to where I can get this CUMMINS VRLA Battery? How different is it from the standard OEM Amaron and so on? Why do you call it phenomenal?
First time I m hearing of this and basis your recommendation I wouldnt mind buying one for the next change.

I ve recently added in the AUTO COP system because of the burglar alarm. Also have finally changed the headlamps to Hella 90/100's with a relay switch. I never really felt the lack of power in the original stock head lamps but it is true that these 90/100's seem to be better. Can only say for sure when I take the car to the hills next.
My Scorp has done about 38K now and it is almost 3 years old - probably will hit 40k around the time it turns 3. It is still plugging along on the OEM Amaron battery. With these few extra bits and pieces being added in Im sure that the battery will be taking a certain amount of extra load. From past experience, in my Gypsy and Bolero etc, I feel it in my bones that now is around the time that the battery is likely to give up the ghost.
Cheers
Hi Shankar,
Long time.

I purchased the Cummins VRLA battery through the Cummins zonal office at Bangalore. You could contact:
Amar-09448496931.

I call it phenomenal because I can actually feel the surge of power it gives to the self when cranked compared to the other batteries. It requires no maintenance and unlike other flooded batteries, does not contain any water/acid in it. You could look up the VRLA technology on the internet to understand the difference.

It is around 3/4th the size of any other battery of the same capacity. It is also lighter in weight and better built.

The 32AH rating of the VRLA is equal to 80AH rating of a flooded battery and the same is vindicated by Cummins.

It fits easily using the OE clamps and is built much better than Amaron, Exide or any other conventional battery brand. Also, it has a 36 month replaceable warranty.

I feel the OE headlights are more than sufficient for my highway needs. In fact, unlike most Scorpios I see, I do not turn my foglights on all the time.

I do not have any plans of upgrading the headlights unless I put an HID kit or something of the sort which again is not on the cards.
Old 28th January 2011, 16:10   #279
BANNED

hey thanks for the prompt reply

thats a solid recommendation and I shall contact Amar for the same.

Would it be possible to share the price of this battery please? If I am right the Amaron/ Tata Green/ Exide etc costs about 5000 odd. Just for comparison it would be nice to know if Cummins is equivalent in price or if it commands a premium.

Will certainly refer to VRLA tech on the net
thanks again!

Quote:
Hi Shankar,
Long time.

I purchased the Cummins VRLA battery through the Cummins zonal office at Bangalore. You could contact:
Amar-09448496931.

I call it phenomenal because I can actually feel the surge of power it gives to the self when cranked compared to the other batteries. It requires no maintenance and unlike other flooded batteries, does not contain any water/acid in it. You could look up the VRLA technology on the internet to understand the difference.

It is around 3/4th the size of any other battery of the same capacity. It is also lighter in weight and better built.

The 32AH rating of the VRLA is equal to 80AH rating of a flooded battery and the same is vindicated by Cummins.

It fits easily using the OE clamps and is built much better than Amaron, Exide or any other conventional battery brand. Also, it has a 36 month replaceable warranty.

I feel the OE headlights are more than sufficient for my highway needs. In fact, unlike most Scorpios I see, I do not turn my foglights on all the time.

I do not have any plans of upgrading the headlights unless I put an HID kit or something of the sort which again is not on the cards.
Old 28th January 2011, 16:15   #280
BANNED

You are welcome Shankar.

On the contrary, I either paid 4600 or 3600 for the battery which is cheaper than most brands.

What happened to your plans of upgrading your ride?

I did quite some research and the only vehicles which make sense to me, in case I m desperate for an upgrade are the Fortuner which is more than what I can afford and the other one is a 4wd Scorpio/Safari both of which will not have that novelty factor.

I too have rejected the Yeti due to its cramped cabin space.
Old 28th January 2011, 17:11   #281
BANNED

thanks Dev!!
thats interesting. it is certainly less expensive than the Amarons of the world.

Upgrade is not happening now. Big waste of money, given that the Scorp 4WD with ABS and Airbags comes only in VLX trim and I dont want half the electronic junk that comes with it by default. Also the Scorp doesnt yet have EBD and M&M are not even reasonable enough to give the vehicle to me in the colour that I want. Hence I wont buy a new one now.

Other SUV's are not in my consideration set excepting the Fortuner. But I wont spend 24 odd lacs to acquire the Fortuner - much rather wait for another year or so when there will probably be some decent used ones in the marketplace. Yeti is far too small.

I wont mind waiting for the Korando, Rexton, Dacia Duster, Mahindra World SUV etc and see - depending on the features vs price.

Else I will wait till the Scorpio has done another 40-50K kms, which will take me another 3-3.5 years or so and then see what is in the market at the time.

I dont feel the need anymore to upgrade every now and then. I suppose one has to find one's peace with some particular vehicle which satisfies say, 80% of one's needs/ wants and then stay put - at least thats what seems to have happened with me. there is a slew of new models coming in every month practically - one cant go wrong if one waits a bit more.

Quote:
You are welcome Shankar.

On the contrary, I either paid 4600 or 3600 for the battery which is cheaper than most brands.

What happened to your plans of upgrading your ride?

I did quite some research and the only vehicles which make sense to me, in case I m desperate for an upgrade are the Fortuner which is more than what I can afford and the other one is a 4wd Scorpio/Safari both of which will not have that novelty factor.

I too have rejected the Yeti due to its cramped cabin space.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th January 2011 at 17:13.
Old 8th May 2012, 15:13   #282
BHPian

Hi Dev,

I see that you are based in Bangalore and have utilized the Paintless Dent Removal services of Auto Vega some time back in 2009. I tried reaching Mr Anand at the number posted by you but it seems it doesn't exist anymore. Would you be knowing of any other alternate number for Auto vega . I need to get one very small dent removed from my Vento and desperately looking for some one like Auto vega to work on it. All the workshop folks are saying that re-painting is required post the dent removal manually. There is absolutely zero paint damage with the dent right now so I am willing to take the chance with folks like Auto vega.

Thanks,
Sameer
Old 8th May 2012, 22:46   #283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
thanks Dev!!
thats interesting. it is certainly less expensive than the Amarons of the world.
=====
there is a slew of new models coming in every month practically - one cant go wrong if one waits a bit more.
If the Scorpio has ABS it has EBD built in. In scorpio, the EBD is known as DRP - same as EBD in function.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:33   #284
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoolsam View Post
I tried reaching Mr Anand at the number posted by you but it seems it doesn't exist anymore. Would you be knowing of any other alternate number for Auto vega . I need to get one very small dent removed from my Vento and desperately looking for some one like Auto vega to work on it.
Hi Sameer, Auto Vega has indeed stopped its business, not only in Bangalore but also in Pune since their number there too is not working and neither is their website.

However, there is this person named Ramdas Pai who runs a PDR outlet called Kaunshya Glass Mechanix at Siddaiah Road behind Poornima restaurant. You can contact him at 9845010539 and go there. Could you post a pic of your dent in the meantime so that things are more clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
If the Scorpio has ABS it has EBD built in. In scorpio, the EBD is known as DRP - same as EBD in function.
Correct spkingsley.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:43   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sameer, Auto Vega has indeed stopped its business, not only in Bangalore but also in Pune since their number there too is not working and neither is their website.

However, there is this person named Ramdas Pai who runs a PDR outlet called Kaunshya Glass Mechanix at Siddaiah Road behind Poornima restaurant. You can contact him at 9845010539 and go there. Could you post a pic of your dent in the meantime so that things are more clear?

Correct spkingsley.
Dev,

The dent pic is attached, please see and let me know if its possible with PDR.

Cheers,
Sameer
Attached Thumbnails
Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-photo.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks