Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 11:11   #226
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
prior to taking up my long drive to Mumbai planned in October end.
Oh wow. I too am driving to Bombay in the second week of November. Are you on a leisure trip or official work?
Old 29th September 2010, 11:29   #227
Senior - BHPian

^^ That's good, Devdath !

I am on a leisure trip alongwith family. Plan to return to Bangalore in the end of the first week of Nov. Plan to do this in one day, with some help on the planning part from fellow Bhpians in the thread below :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...adtrip-45.html

Will post the roadtrip experience with the Scorp, upon my return
Old 29th September 2010, 11:43   #228
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

raj
my standard Crde Scorp (2nd Gen)vents are just about OK probably because Ive now got used to them over the last 2.5 years odd. But i preferred the older (1st Gen) Scorp vents. and the 3rd Gen Mhawk vents too are good.
What do you think? Is it worth changing that console so that I get the benefits of the 3rd Gen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
you wont need to change the vent since yours is the first gen scorpio. it already has effective vents (horizontal outer slats). the second gen CRDe scorpio had weird round vents that was very ineffective. mahindra rectified this with the third gen scorpio mHawk with vertical outer slats.

first gen-
Attachment 431531

second gen-
Attachment 431532

third gen-
Attachment 431533
Old 29th September 2010, 12:23   #229
Senior - BHPian

Hi shankar, long time!

i assume you are talking about the front vents since the rear vents in the 2nd gen CRDe & mHawk is the same.

so that means for you, its just like a plug & play! like Dev, you can easily swap the old vents with the new vents in your existing console. that will improve the direction of air flow.

for you, it wont cost much like in mooza's case. in mooza's scorpio, if he plans to change the front vents too, he will have to change the entire front console since the new air vents are oval in shape & if he wants the new rear AC vents too, he will have to change the entire floor console too.

not so in your case. but since you have got used to the present vents, why bother??? you know how the mahindra A.S.S is! you will have to wait for the parts to arrive & god knows whether they even know how to change the vents.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:13   #230
BANNED

Seat Change

+1 to that Shankar. Please change your ac vents to the latest design. They will cost you INR 760.00 for both the central front ac vents and they improve the air flow hugely. You will not regret the investment.

Another change that I m now contemplating is the middle seat. I have decided, after sitting in the new MHawk that I want a reclining middle seat, even if it means sacrificing on the last row jump seats which will be hardly used once I move to Bombay. I intend to convert Hariya to a spacious 5 seater with all the seats reclining as much as possible. In fact, if I get the latest version of the middle seat which also moves backwards, I d more than happy.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:08   #231
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

raj - thanks! (But I think I can still get the A.S.S. to give me good service like I have received these last 5-6 years.)

dev - yes - i dont mind the investment on aircon vents at all.

I also like this idea of changing the middle seat to a reclining and moveable one. Even I never use the last row of 2 jump seats. they are a waste of time in my opinion.

I have the 7 seater Scorpio which has the 2 front bucket seats and the single row in the middle to seat 3 people.

However, while there is a little more legroom in this middle row, in the 7 seater than there is in the 8 seater, I would be happy if we could create still more room.

This move-able and recline-able factor will be an added plus if it is possible to install/ modify/execute without harming the vehicle otherwise.

Must take the vehicle to the garage and ask them these questions - anyway it is due for routine servicing next week or so, so I shall check with them at the time.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:50   #232
BANNED

Ok, an update here. I called SKS and asked them the price of the latest HHawk middle seat for the 8 seater variant(recline,split and slide) and was quoted:

INR: 17000.00

Now I have a question.

Raj, do you know if the pre refresh seat of the 8 seater versions were equally comfortable? If yes, there could be a chance of procuring these through the scrap market at a lower price.

Also, I was told that the seat mounts need to be modified/welded/drilled at a few places to enable this seat to fit onto Hariya. The issue is still under discussion with SKS.
Old 29th September 2010, 15:51   #233
BANNED

Make Hariya Business Class.

Hi All,
In my attempt to make Hariya as comfortable as possible, the following are the mods planned. Your views

1. Throw away/use as a guest chair, the current jump seats at the rear.
2. Use the current middle row as a make shift sofa at home.
3. Install the middle row seat of the new MHawk which reclines,splits and travels back and forth.
4. Install a car fridge from Tropicool at the rear.
5. Fabricate trays for the middle row passengers behind the front seats.
6. Install 2 independent headset compatible DVD screens on the front seat headrests.
7. Install better(not loud) speakers.
8. Add a laptop charging socket with the fridge socket at the rear most luggage section.
9. Install an HID kit from Philips on the headlamps or foglamps.
10. Install a bullbar in the front from M&M.(Can be seen on the website).
11. Install front windshield film.
12. Install tire pressure sensors.
13. Install "auto window up" in the central locking.

Do let me know if any inputs that any of you might have.
Old 29th September 2010, 22:10   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Ok, an update here. I called SKS and asked them the price of the latest HHawk middle seat for the 8 seater variant(recline,split and slide) and was quoted:

INR: 17000.00
that was expected.

Quote:
Now I have a question.

Raj, do you know if the pre refresh seat of the 8 seater versions were equally comfortable? If yes, there could be a chance of procuring these through the scrap market at a lower price.
as far as i have heard, the refresh scorpios have better seats than pre-refresh ones. so if at all you are looking for comfort, go for the refresh scorpio's seats.

Quote:
Also, I was told that the seat mounts need to be modified/welded/drilled at a few places to enable this seat to fit onto Hariya. The issue is still under discussion with SKS.
your scorpio's seats would be fixed. so if at all, you need the new seats on rails, you would anyways need to do some minor mods.

if these jobs are not done professionally, in the long run, it could prove to be troublesome. you can expects a few rattles & squeaks.

Quote:
4. Install a car fridge from Tropicool at the rear.
a very easy mod.

Quote:
5. Fabricate trays for the middle row passengers behind the front seats.
not sure how feasible this is.

Quote:
6. Install 2 independent headset compatible DVD screens on the front seat headrests.
why not a simple single screen on the roof?

Quote:
7. Install better(not loud) speakers.
post a query in the ICE section. mind you, if you have a budget of 50k, write 25k in your post! it will come to 50k!

Quote:
8. Add a laptop charging socket with the fridge socket at the rear most luggage section.
again doable.

Quote:
9. Install an HID kit from Philips on the headlamps or foglamps.
the easiest mod!

Quote:
10. Install a bullbar in the front from M&M.(Can be seen on the website).
since you are from bangalore, why not carryboy nudge guards like in mine, shankar balan's or riju's scorpios.

Quote:
11. Install front windshield film.
if you can, opt for 3M or Llumar please.

Quote:
12. Install tire pressure sensors.
again, not sure how feasible it is. rest assured, the mahindra A.S.S wont do this for you, unless you have got some really good contacts.

Quote:
13. Install "auto window up" in the central locking.
this can be done aftermarket too. it was also offered to me in the mahindra showroom.

Quote:
Do let me know if any inputs that any of you might have.
overall, i would suggest leave the seats alone, all the other mods are feasible.

if the seat installation require some mods which are not done properly, you would be compromising on safety too.

also, since you are anyways spending so much, why not some on aesthetics too? think about some cool alloys!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 29th September 2010 at 22:13.
Old 30th September 2010, 09:58   #235
BANNED

Thank you very much Raj.

Quote:
as far as i have heard, the refresh scorpios have better seats than pre-refresh ones. so if at all you are looking for comfort, go for the refresh scorpio's seats.
if these jobs are not done professionally, in the long run, it could prove to be troublesome. you can expects a few rattles & squeaks.
Well, I intend to do a thorough research before letting any welder/driller touch Hariya. In fact, seats are the main area of concern to me. I need better seats in the middle row.
Quote:
not sure how feasible this is.
Why?

Quote:
why not a simple single screen on the roof?
I do not want any disturbance/distraction to the driver at all. I will not plug in the vehicle's main speakers to these screens. Passengers will need to use ear phones only. I have seen enough accidents happening due to a single screen and a nice scene playing on it.

Quote:
post a query in the ICE section. mind you, if you have a budget of 50k, write 25k in your post! it will come to 50k!
Well, to begin with, I intend to upgrade the speakers only, and not change the HU, if possible. And yes, I will consult you for this since you too have upgraded your ICE. Are you more affordable than the ICE section?

Quote:
since you are from bangalore, why not carryboy nudge guards like in mine, shankar balan's or riju's scorpios.
I love the looks of the CarryBoy and the Highlander and Hiker bullbars but they are more cosmetic in nature. Most nudges happen at the ends of the bumper where these guards don't reach. That is why.

Quote:
if you can, opt for 3M or Llumar please.
Someone has suggested against 3M. Need to check how Llumar is. Do you have any experience/ideas?

Quote:
again, not sure how feasible it is. rest assured, the mahindra A.S.S wont do this for you, unless you have got some really good contacts.
I do not intend to get this done from M&M. It a foreign Co which is very good. I do not recollect the name at this moment.

Quote:
this can be done aftermarket too. it was also offered to me in the mahindra showroom.
Any wire cutting business involved? If yes, I might forego it as well.

Quote:
think about some cool alloys!
Because I for one, prefer steel rims over alloys due to their hardy nature and repairability to the extent of getting home in case of an emergency. Though this topic is very debatable.
Old 30th September 2010, 14:11   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why?
wont you have to cut your seats to incorporate the trays?

Quote:
I do not want any disturbance/distraction to the driver at all. I will not plug in the vehicle's main speakers to these screens. Passengers will need to use ear phones only. I have seen enough accidents happening due to a single screen and a nice scene playing on it.
yes, what i meant was a single screen well beyond the driver's view... only for the rear passengers.

but i like your idea of not connecting it to the car's speakers & giving it individual headsets.

Quote:
Well, to begin with, I intend to upgrade the speakers only, and not change the HU, if possible. And yes, I will consult you for this since you too have upgraded your ICE. Are you more affordable than the ICE section?
LOL, definitely. but i am not an expert in installs & new products, so...

Quote:
I love the looks of the CarryBoy and the Highlander and Hiker bullbars but they are more cosmetic in nature. Most nudges happen at the ends of the bumper where these guards don't reach. That is why.
okay, but its often said that a bullbar harms more in a frontal collision as it negates the effect of crumple zone.

so if you are looking for safety, avoid it. if you want to protect your bumpers in traffic, try something like this-

Ajanta

or

http://www.ajantaautoacc.com/scorpiofrontguards.html#4

Quote:
Someone has suggested against 3M. Need to check how Llumar is. Do you have any experience/ideas?
i have garware in my car since i dint do any research before installing them. no problems with the install or the film's durabolity as such but i feel it could have been more effective.

Quote:
I do not intend to get this done from M&M. It a foreign Co which is very good. I do not recollect the name at this moment.
thats great then.

Quote:
Any wire cutting business involved? If yes, I might forego it as well.
hmmm, i am not too sure, i dint opt for it!

Quote:
Because I for one, prefer steel rims over alloys due to their hardy nature and repairability to the extent of getting home in case of an emergency. Though this topic is very debatable.
debatable? nah. its all down to your preferences. its after all your car!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 30th September 2010 at 14:14.
Old 30th September 2010, 20:00   #237
BANNED

Quote:
wont you have to cut your seats to incorporate the trays?
I m trying not to, by hinging them on like aircraft trays. Which is why I need more room.

Quote:
so if you are looking for safety, avoid it. if you want to protect your bumpers in traffic,
That is all I want. Traffic protection.
Old 17th October 2010, 20:40   #238
BANNED

Finally I have the price of the new MHawk seats from the ASC and to say the least I m shocked. In fact, even the store manager was shocked.

The entire middle seat assembly costs, hold your breath, a whopping 60,000.00INR.

I have decided to scout around Shivajinagar and other scrap markets for a good seat frame of the new model and then add padding/foam and covers through a good seat maker.

Any inputs/contacts more than welcome.

OT: Drove a sedan today after a long break. It was a carburetter driven 1999 Maruti Esteem. The handling finesse was immediately felt and the car felt so much more chuckable than Hariya in traffic.
But then, people were looking "down" at me in the Esteeem whereas I look "down" at them in Hariya. I prefer the latter for our unruly Indian traffic.
Old 17th October 2010, 20:53   #239
Senior - BHPian

Are you serious? 60,000???

I guess a break-up of the parts pricing for any vehicle will be a shocker!

I set words (a long time back) for you for this. If Shivaji doesn't help you by the time I call, good for you.
Old 18th October 2010, 10:21   #240
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Are you serious? 60,000???
Let me give another shock. The smaller folding seat alone costs 40,000.00INR.

And this is just the price of the seat assembly. I would need to get it fitted, configured and add seat cover of my choice as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks