Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 17:14   #211
BANNED

Check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
However if i get a Scorp around 5-6lacs then i might be very interested.. let me know if you come across any
Came across this on carwale. Have a look. The price quoted seems resaonable and bargainable for a well maintained vehicle.

Used 2006 Mahindra Scorpio DX 2.6 Turbo 8-Seater for sale in Bangalore - Profile Id : S142491 - CarWale.com
Old 26th May 2010, 11:22   #212
BANNED

35k on the odo and 10k from my pocket

Yesterday saw Hariya, a friend and me driving down to to my adda, SKS, Hosur Road for his 35k paid service. Reached the place at 0830HRS to find a few dogs and a lone security guard loitering around. Got job card No:2 because of chatting with the works manager and someone else taking advantage of that (A Govt vehicle to be precise) and was working on Hariya all day.

Took a break after his underbody was washed and was left to drip water prior to taking him into the shopfloor. Nice lemon rice and a cold drink at the only hotel and bakery in the immediate vicinity.
At lunch time, the only hotel was closed (Food over) and we had to manage with egg puffs and Fanta for lunch. So much to service your vehicle with the ASC guys.

Work began at 1000HRS and continued till lunch break at 1300HRS. Re started and continued till tea break at 1600HRS. Restarted and continued till, well, till everybody except the same dogs and the same loner guard were the only ones in the premises, of course, with the 3 of us....!!!!

Issues that I wanted to be looked into were:
fender noise, driver door noise, engine oil change, differential oil leak, front bumper bead refitment, steering centering, wheel alignment, balancing and rotation, coolant top up, gear, differential and clutch oil check/top up, prop shaft greasing and check, main belt check and Rear left shock absorber check and replace since it was leaking.

Laxman was mechanic who was assigned the work and though young, he knew his job pretty well. Tools as usual were pathetic though the wheel aligning and balancing equipment was from Hunter which I hear is the best in business. Full laser based, no thread pulling and all.

The bill came to what I think was a hefty INR: 9758.00. The breakup is as under:

Spares: 4783.13

1. Engine Oil-1277.28
2. Oil Filter-151.00
3. Cable tie-26.91
4. Head Lamp seal-63.00
5. Rear Wiper blade-101.00
6. Front Shock Absorber-750.00
7. Stopper bolt-95.00
8. Lower link bush-306.00
9. Oil deflector assy-44.00
10. Insulation tape-13.99
11. Wheel weights 55gms-72.02
12. Wheel weights 40 gms-54.00
13. Wheel weights 30 gms-68.01
14. Check arm pin 8.00
15. Wheel weights 10 gms-30.00
16. Wheel weights 15 gms-48.01
17. Wheel weights 60 gms-96.02
18. Wheel weights 5 gms-13.48
19 Wheel weights 35 gms-100.02
20. Filler plug 36.00
21. Shock Absorber rear 2075.99

Labor Charges:

1. Paid Service-1103.00
2. Brake Service-992.70
3. Consumables-386.05
4. Joint greasing-82.73
5. Wheel Balancing-330.90
6. Wheel alignment-441.20
7. Lower link bush replace-386.05
8. Lathe shop charge-165.45
9. Shock Absorber replace Front-220.60
10. Shock Absorber replace Rear-220.60

Result:

Well yes, Hariya does feel smoother on the suspension side. Brakes were quite good initially so not much of a difference felt in that area. The differential oil drip (a drop every week) was due to the drain plug being faulty. Steering is straight now, prop shaft feels better, Air filter cleaned (looked like a cow shed with dry grass and a small leaves in it), Suspension wasn't noisy or anything so no difference there as well.

One grouse. There was no one at the Adda to test Hariya post service and I noticed that the pick up seems to have reduced a bit. I m not sure though, could be in my head but feels so. Also, when I reached home, I felt that I could hear a slight, very slight humming sound from the hood when idling in neutral or with the clutch depressed. Once the clutch is released, the hum is gone.

Could be my ears playing the fool with me as well but I somehow felt I could hear it...

Any ideas on this?

Oh yes, on the way back home, a BMTC bus ahead of me switched its engine off on an incline at a red light and then it wouldn't start. There was no space to overtake the bus as it was bang in the middle of a single lane road.
Remedy:
Drive over the divider and reach home.

Moral:
One service for Hariya: 10k
Our breakfast and Lunch bill: 35.00
The elation of being able to drive across dividers in emergencies when other cars are stranded: Priceless....!!!

"Hariya I Love You"
Old 26th May 2010, 11:31   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The bill came to what I think was a hefty INR: 9758.00. The breakup is as under:
good report buddy. 10k is expensive but then-

Quote:
Oh yes, on the way back home, a BMTC bus ahead of me switched its engine off on an incline at a red light and then it wouldn't start. There was no space to overtake the bus as it was bang in the middle of a single lane road.
Remedy:
Drive over the divider and reach home.

The elation of being able to drive across dividers in emergencies when other cars are stranded: Priceless....!!!

"Hariya I Love You"
totally worth!
Old 5th September 2010, 12:26   #214
BANNED

Katrrrr, Katrrrrr and INR 40.00 spent.

Yesterday evening when I sat in Hariya after a week and turned the key to the ignition position, he welcomed me with a sore throat.

I was surprised and concerned. Waited for a couple of minutes, depressed the clutch a couple of times and turned the key to crank him to life.

But all I heard was katrrrrrrr..... I turned the key off, waited for a couple of minutes, prayed to God and tried again.

Katrrrrrr......

Ok, time for investigation. Opened the hood, checked for any smells. None. Checked for loose wiring. None. Checked for signs of rodent intrusion. None. Opened the fuse box and cleaned all the fuses. Then, I told my friend to crank him once again.

Katrrrrrr......

The bendix drive was not able to push the pinion of the self starter to turn the flywheel. Two possible reasons:
1. The bendix stuck.
2. The battery low.
Arranged a wooden pole like thing and gave the bendix a few raps from the top and the sides.
Cranked again.

Katrrrrr.....

Called a battery wallah and attached his battery and jump cables to Hariya's and cranked him.

He came to life. Enquired the cost of a new Amaron 65AH battery. INR 5500.00.

The chap demanded INR 100.00 for the jump start

I paid him INR 40.00.

The Prelude:

Last week, during my routine check up of the engine section, I noticed that battery water was oozing out of the two central filling holes. I promptly cleaned it, removed the clamp and wiped it clean and coated it with oil to avoid corrosion and went home thinking of a possible reason for the happening.

Could be an overfill by the ASC or a dying battery is what I think. But going by the happening last evening, I guess it is time I plugged in that solar charger and trickle charged it continously.

What say folks?
Old 5th September 2010, 13:08   #215
Senior - BHPian

How many years old is the battery? I guess 3 years or more is a end-of-life situation for the battery. I have changed in 3.5 years. I have left cabin lights on the whole night and not face any problem in starting the next morning. Same with the radio which has run all day.
Old 5th September 2010, 13:16   #216
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How many years old is the battery? I guess 3 years or more is a end-of-life situation for the battery. I have changed in 3.5 years. I have left cabin lights on the whole night and not face any problem in starting the next morning. Same with the radio which has run all day.
The battery came with Hariya, so yes, it is a couple of months short of being 3 years old.

But the question that comes to my mind is the fact that even if I put a new battery, I d still use him only on weekends, so wouldn't that shorten the life of the new battery as well?
Old 27th September 2010, 12:05   #217
BANNED

Did a small but effective update that I did on Hariya over the weekend.

Changed the central AC vents from the ineffective "Joystick" ones to the latest MHawk design. Costed me INR 760.00 for both the vents. They were purchased from the ASC and installed at home last Sunday by a technician.

The air flow is much easier to direct and is more effective as well.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:46   #218
Senior - BHPian

^^ @Devdath, could you please upload a few pics, if possible. Is this AC vent upgrade done for the middle row ?

Last edited by mooza : 27th September 2010 at 20:48.
Old 27th September 2010, 21:28   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
^^ @Devdath, could you please upload a few pics, if possible. Is this AC vent upgrade done for the middle row ?
see the 5th pic here buddy. you will get an idea.
Old 28th September 2010, 13:36   #220
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link Raj, I got the picture now
Old 28th September 2010, 16:51   #221
Senior - BHPian

you wont need to change the vent since yours is the first gen scorpio. it already has effective vents (horizontal outer slats). the second gen CRDe scorpio had weird round vents that was very ineffective. mahindra rectified this with the third gen scorpio mHawk with vertical outer slats.

first gen-
Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-1.jpg

second gen-
Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-2.jpg

third gen-
Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-3.jpg
Old 28th September 2010, 19:43   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
you wont need to change the vent since yours is the first gen scorpio. it already has effective vents (horizontal outer slats). the second gen CRDe scorpio had weird round vents that was very ineffective. mahindra rectified this with the third gen scorpio mHawk with vertical outer slats.
Hey thanks a ton, Raj, this clarifies everything !

The first gen Scorpio's horizontal slats are good for the first row. But I do have a problem with the 2nd row vents, which have no vertical adjustment of air flow (as in the first row), and these hit the legs directly. So I was wondering if I could change these vents to have this facility, alongwith the sideways adjustment.
Old 28th September 2010, 21:44   #223
Senior - BHPian

Again, in the second & third gen scorpio, mahindra has tilted the rear AC vents a bit upwards, so that it does not directly hit the legs. but for this, you would have to change the entire centre console from front to rear.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:25   #224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Again, in the second & third gen scorpio, mahindra has tilted the rear AC vents a bit upwards, so that it does not directly hit the legs. but for this, you would have to change the entire centre console from front to rear.
Which I feel, is a worthwhile effort Murli. You can look for the same at the Shivaji nagar scrap market to begin with, and then look for it at the yard of all the 3 ASCs. I m sure you will find totalled vehicles with these vents intact.
If you are not able to arrange them at all, then go ahead and buy them new.

@Raj, thank you for the pics.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:35   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Which I feel, is a worthwhile effort Murli. You can look for the same at the Shivaji nagar scrap market to begin with, and then look for it at the yard of all the 3 ASCs. I m sure you will find totalled vehicles with these vents intact. If you are not able to arrange them at all, then go ahead and buy them new.
Good idea Devdath, let me start with the ASCs, just to get an idea of the costs involved. Will do this over the next fortnight, during my visit to the ASC for a quick check up of my Scorp prior to taking up my long drive to Mumbai planned in October end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks