Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 16:39   #106
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Dev,

I reckon instead of doing a suction repair, it will be better to take it to a good non-MASS body repair shop and get the dent on the door removed. Do check this basic approach first before anything else. (Not sure how easy is to remove the door panel, though). I say this since the dent has not caused any break or defect on the paint.
This is my first intent provided I get a good one. Fellow TBHPians like Condor and Shishir have suggested one at Adugodi. Planning to have a look at the place this weekend. Game to join?

Quote:
As for comments on the vehicle, apart from the ones below:

Here are my views:

1. Engine power delivery is very smooth. No sudden pull or rush.

2. The cabin is silent, very silent in fact.

3. Noticed few features which are 'upgrade' friendly. Also about the brakes, as mentioned in the post quoted above. Great!

4. The color is great. Just a few scratches but no paint damage. Thank God for the missing walrus tooth!

5. Tires are still sporting a very healthy look.

6. No squeaks no rattles in this ~30k kms driven vehicle.

7. The interiors need a cleaning... a good amount!!!

8. Would have recommend a upgrade of headlight, but with the efficient fog lamps I doubt if this is an required. But, if need, it is just a breeze to fix it.
Thanks a million. Makes me feel satisfied about my vehicle choosing and inspection skills apart from feeling grateful to God for having given me a good vehicle.

Yes, the interiors need thorough cleaning, especially that spot on the middle row seat cover..!!!! I contacted 3M today in the morning and they said that they do this only at dealers and unfortunately they do not have any links with any Mahindra dealers at Bangalore.

But the manager said he would try to arrange to get it done at a different dealer and asked me to call him at 1700HRS today. Fingers crossed.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:39   #107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yes, the interiors need thorough cleaning, especially that spot on the middle row seat cover..!!!! I contacted 3M today in the morning and they said that they do this only at dealers and unfortunately they do not have any links with any Mahindra dealers at Bangalore.

But the manager said he would try to arrange to get it done at a different dealer and asked me to call him at 1700HRS today. Fingers crossed.
I called 3M and they told me to contact Shirish Auto at Silk Board Junction so that they can call the 3M guys in and fix an appointment with the vehicle.
Old 18th November 2009, 18:24   #108
BHPian

Pictures of Safari and Scorpio brought a point to me that both are of same length . (I was of the impression that safari is longer that scorpio). Though i can't say about the interiors whether they spacious to same extent or not.
Old 18th November 2009, 21:41   #109
Senior - BHPian

^^ The Safari is more spacious than the Scorpio.

Now, when I say this, I am not talking about actual volume measurement, but on experience.

I noticed that the Scorpio has been designed with more space allocated in the back thus giving the front seat and middle seat passengers less space, which is not the case in the Safari.

And in Safari, the space at the back is designed more for luggage with good area given for front and middle seat occupants.

The jumper seat is more of a punishment seat, but I reckon this is the case in both vehicles.
Old 18th November 2009, 22:47   #110
Senior - BHPian

happywheels is right, mahindra has given more space in the boot compared to tata, thus compromising on first & second row legroom. sitting in the boot of a scorpio is far more comfortable than sitting in the boot of a safari (if ride quality is NOT taken into account!).

also, the safari is much longer than the scorpio.

safari: 4650 mm
scorpio: 4430 mm

Last edited by raj_5004 : 18th November 2009 at 22:49.
Old 18th November 2009, 23:00   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
happywheels is right, mahindra has given more space in the boot compared to tata, thus compromising on first & second row legroom. sitting in the boot of a scorpio is far more comfortable than sitting in the boot of a safari (if ride quality is NOT taken into account!).

also, the safari is much longer than the scorpio.

safari: 4650 mm
scorpio: 4430 mm
From the pictures one can make out that Scorpio has slightly longer wheelbase and comparatively lesser overhang compared to Safari
Old 18th November 2009, 23:02   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
From the pictures one can make out that Scorpio has slightly longer wheelbase and comparatively lesser overhang compared to Safari
true.

safari's wheelbase: 2650 mm
scorpio's wheelbase: 2680 mm
Old 19th November 2009, 10:17   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Which is also why the Scorpio is a better offroader compared to the Safari.

Time for an update:
This is the estimate 3M gave me for their services over the phone yesterday.
I just wanted to know if they are worth the price they are being sold for.
Underbody Coating-4k
Scratch Removal and polishing/waxing-5k
Interiors Cleaning-2k
Old 19th November 2009, 10:54   #114
Senior - BHPian

Dev, underbody coating and interior cleaning value os correct but don't know about scratch removal. Did you check with Shankar about those scratches.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:19   #115
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for those figures, Raj.

Dev: Yes, Safari's length is it Achilles heel in off-roading, specifically in angle of approach and exit. Even worse is when there is a sudden fall after a climb - causing sew-sawing of the vehicle (recollect Tejas Safari at Sarjapur OTR?). Apart from these, I am not sure about stock Safari's off-road skills vs stock Scoprio's off-roading skills.

But then, for a comfortable family cruising vehicle and soft off-roading, it fits the bill.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:44   #116
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

a standard tinker shop would be able to remove the door panel and knock that front door dent out in all probability. Ensure he uses a rubber headed hammer though since otherwise the inside rust proof coating will buzz off and leave a vulnerable patch. I would still make the extra effort to find the Suction chap and get it done.
I ve been using the stock headlamps so far and even in the hills at night in the rain I dont find any problems at all. You could however consider placing a Relay Switch and upgrading to standard pHilips 90/100 Halogen lamps for the headlights if you like. Dont put those horrible Xenon lamps - other drivers on the road will curse you roundly should you be on high beam with those and in the opposite direction.
(I find oncoming traffic having Xenon lamps seriously hurts my eyes and I quite dislike them.)
3M rub and polish and scratch removal seems terribly expensive.
I would suggest you take the car to a standard Service Station and get them to do the stock inside cleaning, outside cleaning and a good rub and polish. Having the car shampooed inside will cost about 750/- Normal Body wash and brush up will cost another 300/- odd
And the normal rub and polish job will cost you about 1000 bucks
Why burn cash when you dont need to? Unless of course you are suffering from elephantiasis of the bank-roll

Once you've cleaned up the car to your complete satisfaction maybe you may want to consider internal fabric protection spray and a teflon coating on the entire outer surface of the vehicle to prevent minor scratches and of course to preserve the surface.

Frankly I have not spent money on 3M and other such treatment ever and do not think I will either. I prefer getting the occasional car shampoo job done and an occasional rub and polish job done and am quite satisfied with the way my Scorp looks!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th November 2009 at 11:51.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:36   #117
BANNED

Quote:

Dev: Yes, Safari's length is it Achilles heel in off-roading, specifically in angle of approach and exit. Even worse is when there is a sudden fall after a climb - causing sew-sawing of the vehicle (recollect Tejas Safari at Sarjapur OTR?). Apart from these, I am not sure about stock Safari's off-road skills vs stock Scoprio's off-roading skills.

But then, for a comfortable family cruising vehicle and soft off-roading, it fits the bill.
Indeed HappyWheels, you are right. Those hanging bumpers front and rear make it a scare to take anywhere, hey that rhymes...!!!
Comfort wise, yes, since the rear most row is just a jail cell for erring kids/servant/dog/luggage, it rules in front and middle row space and comfort.

Shall we go this weekend to try and find that elusive "Suction Guy" if you are free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
a standard tinker shop would be able to remove the door panel and knock that front door dent out in all probability. Ensure he uses a rubber headed hammer though since otherwise the inside rust proof coating will buzz off and leave a vulnerable patch. I would still make the extra effort to find the Suction chap and get it done.
I ve been using the stock headlamps so far and even in the hills at night in the rain I dont find any problems at all. You could however consider placing a Relay Switch and upgrading to standard pHilips 90/100 Halogen lamps for the headlights if you like. Dont put those horrible Xenon lamps - other drivers on the road will curse you roundly should you be on high beam with those and in the opposite direction.
(I find oncoming traffic having Xenon lamps seriously hurts my eyes and I quite dislike them.)
3M rub and polish and scratch removal seems terribly expensive.
I would suggest you take the car to a standard Service Station and get them to do the stock inside cleaning, outside cleaning and a good rub and polish. Having the car shampooed inside will cost about 750/- Normal Body wash and brush up will cost another 300/- odd
And the normal rub and polish job will cost you about 1000 bucks
Why burn cash when you dont need to? Unless of course you are suffering from elephantiasis of the bank-roll

Once you've cleaned up the car to your complete satisfaction maybe you may want to consider internal fabric protection spray and a teflon coating on the entire outer surface of the vehicle to prevent minor scratches and of course to preserve the surface.

Frankly I have not spent money on 3M and other such treatment ever and do not think I will either. I prefer getting the occasional car shampoo job done and an occasional rub and polish job done and am quite satisfied with the way my Scorp looks!
Completely agree with you Shankar. I will try to find that Suction Guy this weekend or earlier if possible and check if he can do the job.
Coming to headlights, I m quite satisfied with their performance on the highways and do not see any immediate need for an upgrade. I will not fit Xenons or HIDs at all on the main headlights or add extra lights. Yes, it is not only irritating but also dangerous.

For the cleaning part, would you recommend any specific place that you visit or do you feel that SKS is sufficient? Are you also aware of any DIY products that you have used? I tried the Pidilite Industries MotoMax interior cleaner which I purchased from Shell but didnt really give me the effect I was looking for. You see, the roof lining and the seat covers need a real good cleanup job, probably using those mechanical rollers and stuff.

I m against rubbing becuase it removes a thin layer of paint though I can go in for Teflon as it adds a layer of protection.

One more question. The owner's manual has a switch for the "Rear Fog Lamps" but I fail to see any "Rear Fog Lamps" on the vehicle. Any inputs about their existence??

Last edited by n.devdath : 19th November 2009 at 12:37.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:52   #118
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with you completely! I did have a problem at the Sarjapur OTR and it gave me scares because of the length. My bumpers touched when I had to pull back but, then again, most of the gypsies too had the same problem. At that see-saw, a couple of vehicles got stuck including the safari's if I recollect. It was the approach angle what we missed and just because of the sheer length and the footrests. I think that one of the LRs too got stuck there.

I think that stock Scorp is better than stock safari in terms of off-roading but then the safari is not entirely built for the same. It is mostly a highway muncher with good soft-roading skills meant for getting out from a few difficult terrains, which it does peacefully. If not for the big boot in the scorp, I'd have gone for it as a matter of fact.

OT:
Why don't we see the way hrag's safari too? He is a good driver (I've heard from a lot of people) and more importantly he knows his beast a little too well and hence is able to take it to a lot of places where I can probably only dream of! Then there's Rehaan's scorp (my fav till date) which can actually match other MMs but for it's size (got stuck at a recent OTR because of the size) and with the mods. But I still wonder what all a stock scorp (with AT tyres) can actually do! M&M should push the 4x4 mhawk more aggressively is what I think.

Last edited by bantejas : 19th November 2009 at 12:55.
Old 19th November 2009, 13:27   #119
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

ive put out my replies next to the queries.

Quote:
For the cleaning part, would you recommend any specific place that you visit or do you feel that SKS is sufficient?
Inside and outside cleaning can be done by SKS. There is also a good chap off Richmond Road towards that Mission Road area where all those 3 zillion and one car accessories shops are - he has a car wash place just after the place where that Flyover ends and is on the left side. Easy to locate. It is a drive in car wash. He will groom your vehicle properly. Cant remember the name but it is something Car Grooming centre blah blah. I like using this service because one can actually stand there and enjoy watching the car get groomed!
Maybe you should first get the door dent removal done at a tinker, the rub and polish done at a normal service place like SKS and then take it for supergrooming and inside cleaning etc at this Car grooming place.

Are you also aware of any DIY products that you have used? I tried the Pidilite Industries MotoMax interior cleaner which I purchased from Shell but didnt really give me the effect I was looking for. You see, the roof lining and the seat covers need a real good cleanup job, probably using those mechanical rollers and stuff.
I think that car grooming place will be able to help you here on the insides. But I dont like the DIY stuff that is generally available here.
I use these only when required and use only specific products like that Scratch Out in case of basic scratch removal, a simple Car Shampoo, Wax polish and a tyre dressing. The Windscreen cleaner and the Fabric cleaner etc are rubbish.

I m against rubbing becuase it removes a thin layer of paint though I can go in for Teflon as it adds a layer of protection.
I agree this happens but the amount of paint lost is negligible and can be measured in Microns - frankly you wont notice the loss of the layer of paint but the results of rubbing and polishing are truly marvellous when it comes to the vehicle looking brand new! After a good rub and polish, you can do a teflon which will protect it better.

One more question. The owner's manual has a switch for the "Rear Fog Lamps" but I fail to see any "Rear Fog Lamps" on the vehicle. Any inputs about their existence?? Im sorry I have absolutely no idea about this rear fog lamp thing.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th November 2009 at 13:29.
Old 19th November 2009, 13:40   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Shall we go this weekend to try and find that elusive "Suction Guy" if you are free?...
Let me check the schedule and will get back to you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
...OT:
Why don't we see the way hrag's safari too? He is a good driver (I've heard from a lot of people) and more importantly he knows his beast a little too well and hence is able to take it to a lot of places where I can probably only dream of! Then there's Rehaan's scorp (my fav till date) which can actually match other MMs but for it's size (got stuck at a recent OTR because of the size) and with the mods. But I still wonder what all a stock scorp (with AT tyres) can actually do! M&M should push the 4x4 mhawk more aggressively is what I think.
Hrag's Safari is stock, with AT tires, and he has done quite a lot of off roading, including the Pearl Valley track ( ). Pearl Valley is one of those places where even dreaming of taking my Safari would be a hellish nightmare for me! Would be great to see a stock Scorp do the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks