Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 17:00   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinsumant View Post
Thanks "Driver2000","Drifter" & "Poloman" for your inputs.
My concern also is that,what could be the possible Parts which could get Changed here.
Think calling the Helpline to Schedule for tomorrow.

Rgds,
Sachin .
My sincere suggestion would be to have the dealer, to take care of it. As poloman and others mentioned, this looks like a brake jam. It should be fine after cleaning and hub greasing. I do not think that any parts are required to be changed.

In case of driving through water log:
  • Try to drive in the lowest gear possible - Maximum 2nd gear.
  • Keep the RPM a bit higher then the idling RPM, so that a positive pressure is always maintained in the exhaust system.
  • Never switch off the engine in the middle of the water log.
  • In case the engine goes off, do not try to crank the engine again. Call for help.
  • Under body parts which are greased, should preferably be inspected after a long exposure to water - even if the engine is running without any problem.
Keep us posted. All the best!!

Note: If you have a lot of time to kill, you could jack up all the four sides, one after the other, and try to figure out - which particular wheel is jammed. If both the rear wheels are jammed, it will possible be the hand brake.
Old 27th August 2010, 17:04   #512
Senior - BHPian

I very sparingly use handbrake. Prefer to park in gears.
Chetan, Looks like the forum is flooded with Polos. VW should give some gifts to the early owners like us for creating brand awareness in Tbhp.
Old 27th August 2010, 17:51   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chetan, Looks like the forum is flooded with Polos. VW should give some gifts to the early owners like us for creating brand awareness in Tbhp.
Talk about gifts!! I got a call from Blue Dart couriers just now! They have a small box from VW to deliver! Unfortunately, I am in Hubli & will be back only on Sunday morning. It will be delivered to my home tomorrow. We will see what it is!!
Old 27th August 2010, 18:17   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

You guys ought to get refunds on your cars, let alone gifts --- the coverage that you have give VW Polo is priceless
Old 27th August 2010, 18:41   #515
Senior - BHPian

Chetan, I also got it just now. It is just a darting board not refund on cars as suggested by Thad.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:50   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chetan, I also got it just now. It is just a darting board not refund on cars as suggested by Thad.
What was that for? Unnecessary hype.

Refund would have been better.

Quot from NowWhat?:"Used to happen all the time on my Merc. How about just setting the AC to the defogger setting?"

Defogger setting? Can you explain a bit?
Old 27th August 2010, 19:17   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
What was that for? Unnecessary hype.

Refund would have been better.

Quot from NowWhat?:"Used to happen all the time on my Merc. How about just setting the AC to the defogger setting?"

Defogger setting? Can you explain a bit?
Chethan, Pls put it on defogger (marked in picture) and see if the problem persists. Your manual should have more info.

I couldn't see the image that clearly, but I believe the setting on the left is for defogger + cooling.
Attached Thumbnails
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-poloint.jpg  

Old 27th August 2010, 22:49   #518
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong here - this position is to blow air to the windscreen, it may help defog the windscreen and not necessarily the windows.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 27th August 2010 at 22:50. Reason: Spelling
Old 27th August 2010, 23:10   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Combined with AC, I think it will make the situation worse: it will be concentrating the cold air on the windscreen, increasing the outside condensation.

(I do thnk VW have been mean, by the way: a bank of seven switch positions, and only two used, which means the layout can't even be centred? Cup half empty? Not even that! )
Old 27th August 2010, 23:24   #520
BHPian

Heyy Chethan..!
Fortunately,i myself got the problem resolved.Well in time..
Had called up the 24/7 helpline,and my polo was all set for a ride on the Flatbed takeaway.!! What an embarassing moment it would have been..to have a brand new car being taken away..!!
Didnt get much time in the morning,so thought to give it a final try in the evening,
pressed the brake lever 6-7 times,and lifted the handbrake 3-4 times.
Then tried Moving it forward,and it did so with ease..with some minute noise..No more noises thereafter..
However would certainly have the Service Centre look into it if at all there's any issue left over.

Brgds,
Sachin.
Old 28th August 2010, 00:04   #521
Senior - BHPian

Chethan, in addition to the defogger switch pointed out by 'nowwhat?' (can't make out from the pic) the rear defogger seems to be the button to the left of the hazard light (red triangle) button.

Cheers
Old 28th August 2010, 00:07   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Combined with AC, I think it will make the situation worse: it will be concentrating the cold air on the windscreen, increasing the outside condensation.
Hi Thad, Its not cold air on the windscreen. My Merc C Class had this constant problem and I used this setting whenever it misted up in the cold climes of Washington DC. Whenever I used this setting, the Automatic Climate Control used to blow the air at full speed and presto my windscreen was as clear as daylight.

Its definitely not cold air, I believe it is the outside air temperature or something. Because Automatic Climate Control is not there on the Polo, you might have to set the blower on full. The Polo manual may have the details.

By the way, I hated the Automatic Climate Control on the Merc. I just never knew what it was doing. It used to blow hard sometimes and other times it was off. I had it set on manual most of the time.

Even my wife's Esteem has a very effective defogger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here - this position is to blow air to the windscreen, it may help defog the windscreen and not necessarily the windows.
Not sure. I have used it only on the windscreen on the Merc but have not had problems with visibility. Don't recollect any subsequent problems with the side RVMs.
Old 28th August 2010, 00:33   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Talk about gifts!! I got a call from Blue Dart couriers just now! They have a small box from VW to deliver! Unfortunately, I am in Hubli & will be back only on Sunday morning. It will be delivered to my home tomorrow. We will see what it is!!
My son received the dartboard when I wasn't there. It said "Your new Polo is on its way. Here's something to do before it arrives."

My son was waiting with the tube when I came home. He was obviously very excited.

Made me too very happy, that is, until I came to Team-BHP. I guess I am an old-timer, but to me these silly things do mean a lot.
Old 28th August 2010, 01:36   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Hi Thad, Its not cold air on the windscreen. My Merc C Class had this constant problem and I used this setting whenever it misted up in the cold climes of Washington DC. Whenever I used this setting, the Automatic Climate Control used to blow the air at full speed and presto my windscreen was as clear as daylight.
Sounds very good!

I recall one day in UK having to stop because the fogging was blinding me, and think, which was colder/warmer and more/less humid and set the controls accordingly. The car had AC but not climate control. I don't know what was odd about that day, which was the only time I had the experience but couldn't easily correct it.
Old 28th August 2010, 16:29   #525
BHPian

Just joined in the team, big HI to all !

Chethan, you all the other guys here have been providing a fantastic and detailed piece by piece diagnosis of the VW Polo like pro surgeons, so a big thanks.
Soon after booking one myself in mid July, ive been looking up the net for reviews like crazy. This forum & your thread is the best ive come across.
I'll sure know my car a lot better now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks