Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 10:06   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
This is from VW. I forgot to take snaps during day time. Sorry for that.
Hi Chethan,

How many sensors are there? Difficult to make this out from the snaps.

I suppose the box is the one which makes the sound. Where exactly is it located? I couldn't figure out the place by looking at the snap.

Thanks,
nowwhat?
Old 21st July 2010, 10:50   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Hi Chethan,

How many sensors are there? Difficult to make this out from the snaps.

I suppose the box is the one which makes the sound. Where exactly is it located? I couldn't figure out the place by looking at the snap.

Thanks,
nowwhat?
Sorry for the bad snaps! Took them in a hurry last night.

There are 4 sensors. It just looks like a button.

Box has a buzzer which gives out the sound. This box is fixed inside the boot on the left hand side.

I will post some good snaps during the week end.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:30   #408
BHPian

@Chetan

Any reasons for not going with the Rs.4200 version of the sensors? What is the difference between these two versions?
Old 21st July 2010, 14:06   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
@Chetan

Any reasons for not going with the Rs.4200 version of the sensors? What is the difference between these two versions?
The one I got was 3700 with tax and fixing charges. This comes with only audio alert.

The other one is Rs.4200 + tax and fixing charges. This comes with the display. There was some problem in routing cables - it seems. So, VW has stopped giving this temporarily.

I am happy with only audio - because, the display will sit below the rear view mirror and the wire will be visible.
Old 24th July 2010, 01:50   #410
Senior - BHPian

Important note!

Rear parking sensor is working well. It gives that additional confidence which is required, while taking reverse. I have tried taking reverse towards a wall, in the parking area, in between cars...etc. It really helps! Worth 3.7K IMHO.

Important note: I had mentioned about a problem I was facing (only) during cold starts. First time when the Turbo kicks in, there used to be a jerk - as if the turbo attempts to spool, but goes off and again keeps trying. This used to continue for about 500 mtrs and then become alright.

I had taken the car to the service centre, I was told that there was an another Polo-Tdi with the same problem and VW staff were inspecting it. Since I was not facing any problem to use my car, I told the staff to inform me after the problem is sorted out in the other car - so that I can get the same thing done for my car.

The problem was traced to the exhaust recirculation tubing, used to drive the Turbine. The connectors had to be tightened with a higher torque. Initial pressure from the exhaust gas, was not sufficient, to activate the pressure sensor, which in turn would turn on the Turbo-charger. Therefore, it used to do a couple of flip/flop's before coming on - during cold starts.

This was a 10 minutes job and was done to my car, when I had left my car for service during the monsoon camp. After that, I have checked my car for a week - every day. The problem is completely solved.

I liked the fact that VW engineers directly dropped in and handled the issue. Otherwise, dealer engineers would have got confused in dealing with this kind of unusual problem. Full marks to VW!

Now, VW is carrying out a "Field campaign - 19D9 & 21D7" for all Polo-Tdi's that are effected. Polo-Tdi owners, if facing this problem can contact their respective dealer. If the Chassis number is given, the dealer will be able to tell if the vehicle is effected.
Old 24th July 2010, 13:26   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Rear parking sensor is working well. It gives that additional confidence which is required, while taking reverse. I have tried taking reverse towards a wall, in the parking area, in between cars...etc. It really helps! Worth 3.7K IMHO.
Hi Chethan,

Do you look back AT ALL while reversing now that you have the reverse sensor?

If so, I think this is one essential item I need to buy considering that Autocar India has also mentioned that rear visibility is low.

Thanks!
Old 24th July 2010, 13:36   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Hi Chethan,

Do you look back AT ALL while reversing now that you have the reverse sensor?

If so, I think this is one essential item I need to buy considering that Autocar India has also mentioned that rear visibility is low.

Thanks!
Nowwhat - Rear view & side view mirrors will be enough. We do not have to turn our heads. Overall, I feel confident.

Earlier, I was not sure about (for example) the gap between the wall and the tail of the car. I used to ask somebody nearby to confirm (this car is longer then we presume). Now, I can park easily without consulting anybody.

Sound is a bit loud. Will try to see if it can be reduced.

But - highly recommended for Polo - for sure!
Old 24th July 2010, 14:09   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Nowwhat - Rear view & side view mirrors will be enough. We do not have to turn our heads. Overall, I feel confident.

Earlier, I was not sure about (for example) the gap between the wall and the tail of the car. I used to ask somebody nearby to confirm (this car is longer then we presume). Now, I can park easily without consulting anybody.

Thanks a lot for the information on the rear sensors. I will get it fitted during my next visit to Bangalore. By the way where can I get Team BHP stickers? The link on the site does not seem to work!!
Old 24th July 2010, 15:55   #414
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Chethan, you have been a great help!

I just hope I get my Polo soon... I have always waited months for my cars be it the 800 or the Esteem, but strangely this time I am finding the wait a little unbearable.
Old 24th July 2010, 16:23   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Even though this technology wasn't there when I learnt to drive, the words of one of my teachers, "Always look in the direction you are going in" still ring in my mind!

One safety factor that interests me, though: will the system detect something of limited width ---child, bollard, tree--- rather than something wide like a car or wall? Even when looking out of the back window we sometimes cannot see low things like that.
Old 24th July 2010, 17:04   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Even though this technology wasn't there when I learnt to drive, the words of one of my teachers, "Always look in the direction you are going in" still ring in my mind!

One safety factor that interests me, though: will the system detect something of limited width ---child, bollard, tree--- rather than something wide like a car or wall? Even when looking out of the back window we sometimes cannot see low things like that.
But there is another school of thought - A good driver should be able to take reverse without turning his head - That is, he is expected to look at th mirrors and drive!! Your comments on this please!!!

There are totally 4 sensors. It will start continuously buzzing when it senses something, in the vicinity of 1 feet. Therefore, it should practically cover the whole bumper area - horizontally. It will detect a child standing behind or a tree for that matter. But, it will not detect an obstruction, which is of 6-8 inches in height. Eg: pavement, road devider... etc. We need to take care of these things.

If children are playing around, it is best to have manual supervision. I would not take any chance.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 24th July 2010 at 17:12.
Old 24th July 2010, 18:23   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A good driver should be able to take reverse without turning his head
Don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure this would fail a UK driving test.

On the basis of your further description, I'm thinking it is worth it. I've backed into a low bollard before now!
Old 24th July 2010, 20:52   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure this would fail a UK driving test.

On the basis of your further description, I'm thinking it is worth it. I've backed into a low bollard before now!
In the US too, not craning your neck and looking behind while reversing would definitely make one flunk the driving test.

Not to say that you can't reverse using just the mirrors. Truck drivers do it all the time in the US, but I suppose they must be having some extra help somehow.

Similarly in the US to change lanes to the left or right, one is supposed to look at the left or right mirror and then physically glance to see if there is a vehicle alongside you. You would be surprised how many times I have seen nothing in the mirror when there was a vehicle alongside me.

However in the case of the Polo, I don't think one can figure out much by looking behind. Since I don't have the car yet, its hard for me to say anything definitively.
Old 24th July 2010, 20:56   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Truck drivers do it all the time in the US
I guess all truck drivers can see, if they look over their shoulder, is ...their truck!

I hope the rear view on the Polo is not that bad: it will put me off if it is.
Old 24th July 2010, 21:02   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess all truck drivers can see, if they look over their shoulder, is ...their truck!

I hope the rear view on the Polo is not that bad: it will put me off if it is.
No it is not that bad. Using the mirrors and the rear windscreen should be sufficient. I tried parallel parking during my test drive, took me one round of adjusting but that was because of the slightly miscalculated entry than the lack of visibility.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks