Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 14:29   #256
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pictures Chetan. I liked 2,3 and 4 the most. I also would like to know how the car behaves in Ghats? Any overheating or stalling issues as reported in some of Figo threads? My Polo is going to cover around 1200Km this weekend.Any advice for me?
Old 5th July 2010, 14:34   #257
BHPian

promise kept

@ chethan .. awesome pics :-)
you kept the word . I wish the tyres were 195/55/R15.May be once the car tyre gets due for a change you can think of that option.
What is the expected tyre life ?

The rear mud-flaps , I somehow not liking it much .It stands out from the overall classy look of the car - I felt the same with Punto mud-flaps too.
I like those that we get with Zen , I mean the old zen .
After market options for the same under consideration?
Old 5th July 2010, 14:49   #258
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful place. Beautiful car. Beautiful pics
Chetan, have you put sun-films?
Old 5th July 2010, 15:40   #259
BHPian

Outstanding pics! Hats off!!!

Chetan, I must add that both you Poloman have been a huge influence on my decision to book a Polo.
Old 5th July 2010, 16:47   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Great pics. It looks great in black. BTW how is the overall highway experience in the Polo Tdi? Does the 3-pot motor feel underpowered on the twisters? Please give some info on the much talked about turbo-lag in the Tdi.
Thanks a lot. Highway driving experience with Polo-Tdi is simply Great! Be it overtaking or simply cruising. If you scan through my previous posts on this thread you will get a fair idea. Look at "Gear - Speed - RPM". Mid range power is also very good.

AFAIK, 3 pot or 4 pot - 1200CC, 75 Bhp, 1.8 Kg - will mean the same in terms of performance or longevity. Refinement will be better in a 4 pot. A well coupled Turbo and a well matched gear box, will make all the difference. I did not feel it is under-powered.

This is from my very limited knowledge:

As we all know, a Turbo charger uses a turbine which is driven by the exhaust gas. When the exhaust gas spins the turbine, turbine rotates and pushes in more air in to the engine, to aid proper combustion. Until the exhaust gas is able to spool the turbo, the car will be behaving like having a naturally aspirated diesel engine.

Important points are:
  • Turbine should be light enough for the exhaust gas to start spinning it, at a low RPM.
  • If turbine spins very fast and lot of air rushes in, engine might go off.
If the turbine is very light, Lag will be less since it can start rotating earlier, but it will effect top end performance. If the turbine is not so sensitive, lag will be more, but it can carry on effectively for a longer time - top end power will be good.

With a single turbo, achieving low-end, mid-range and high-end power will be a big problem for any manufacturer. Variable Geometry Turbo - reduces this problem only to a certain extent. Twin-Turbo will solve this problem, since we can have one for low-end and the other for the high-end.

IMHO,
Figo has minimum Turbolag, but not so great top-end power.
Polo has Turbolag, but has a good mid-range and top-end power.
Punto's Turbolag is lesser than Polo and has a decent top-end power. With VGT, it might improve. But again, it depends on how it is tuned.
i20 also has lag - but, since it has a bigger 1400cc engine, we feel the pinch that much lesser.

Turbolag means you have to keep changing gears often in traffic which is flowing and also in Ghat section. If you do not mind doing this, it will not effect you. With Polo's gear box, I do not have any problem in using it. Also, I do not have to worry about FE, since it is very good. In Polo-Tdi, upshifting at around 2300RPM or higher if required is the key. This is a rev-happy engine and you can relax!

Interestingly - I have read that AUTO geared diesel cars will not face the lag, even if it has a single turbo, since RPM can be maintained above the required limit easily.

Guru's - Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Amazing pictures Chetan. I liked 2,3 and 4 the most. I also would like to know how the car behaves in Ghats? Any overheating or stalling issues as reported in some of Figo threads? My Polo is going to cover around 1200Km this weekend.Any advice for me?
Absolutely no problems Poloman. It was a pleasure driving it. I mainly used the first 3 gears - not much breaking was required.
No specific advice for your trip. While coming back, you would have crossed 1000kms on your ODO. Try to Rev the engine up to 6000 RPM in all gears except 1st. For Petrol Polo, Red line is after 7000 RPM. This will set up things and might reduce engine noise also. Happy Motoring!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
@ Chetan .. awesome pics :-)
you kept the word . I wish the tyres were 195/55/R15.May be once the car tyre gets due for a change you can think of that option.
What is the expected tyre life ?

The rear mud-flaps , I somehow not liking it much .It stands out from the overall classy look of the car - I felt the same with Punto mud-flaps too.
I like those that we get with Zen , I mean the old zen .
After market options for the same under consideration?
My pleasure! 55 may be thinner for cushioning? I think it should last for atleast 60,000Kms. I heard that Polo has a Tube-Tyre! Can you tell me how to verify this?

I agree with you on the mud flaps. I will definitely change it, as and when I get an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Beautiful place. Beautiful car. Beautiful pics
Chetan, have you put sun-films?
Thanks.
Yes. Llumer Natural 35 SR.
Old 5th July 2010, 16:52   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
. I heard that Polo has a Tube-Tyre!
Chethan, Are you serious?
Old 5th July 2010, 17:04   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chethan, Are you serious?
Yes Poloman. VW Dealer SP was mentioning it. He said that it was to take care of Indian roads.

I am not sure. Will have to confirm it. Do you know how? Will it be mentioned on the tyre?
Old 5th July 2010, 17:15   #263
Senior - BHPian

If we can get the tyre spec some tyre gurus will be able to help right? If this is true a poor step from VW. Tubed tyre to take care of indian roads? It should be the other way around.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:43   #264
Senior - BHPian

More Pics!! Courtesy Diji!

For people who are interested in good photography: Diji (www.dijisworld.com)'s photosets on Flickr

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-_mg_0150copy.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-_mg_0184copy.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-_mg_0192copy.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-_mg_0208copy.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-_mg_0186copy.jpg
Old 5th July 2010, 21:10   #265
Senior - BHPian

excellent pics. The third one is my favourite. Old House-Modern Car. Great Pic.
Old 5th July 2010, 21:15   #266
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Highway driving experience with Polo-Tdi is simply Great! Be it overtaking or simply cruising. If you scan through my previous posts on this thread you will get a fair idea. Look at "Gear - Speed - RPM". Mid range power is also very good.

AFAIK, 3 pot or 4 pot - 1200CC, 75 Bhp, 1.8 Kg - will mean the same in terms of performance or longevity. Refinement will be better in a 4 pot. A well coupled Turbo and a well matched gear box, will make all the difference. I did not feel it is under-powered.

This is from my very limited knowledge:

As we all know, a Turbo charger uses a turbine which is driven by the exhaust gas. When the exhaust gas spins the turbine, turbine rotates and pushes in more air in to the engine, to aid proper combustion. Until the exhaust gas is able to spool the turbo, the car will be behaving like having a naturally aspirated diesel engine.

Important points are:
  • Turbine should be light enough for the exhaust gas to start spinning it, at a low RPM.
  • If turbine spins very fast and lot of air rushes in, engine might go off.
If the turbine is very light, Lag will be less since it can start rotating earlier, but it will effect top end performance. If the turbine is not so sensitive, lag will be more, but it can carry on effectively for a longer time - top end power will be good.

With a single turbo, achieving low-end, mid-range and high-end power will be a big problem for any manufacturer. Variable Geometry Turbo - reduces this problem only to a certain extent. Twin-Turbo will solve this problem, since we can have one for low-end and the other for the high-end.

IMHO,
Figo has minimum Turbolag, but not so great top-end power.
Polo has Turbolag, but has a good mid-range and top-end power.
Punto's Turbolag is lesser than Polo and has a decent top-end power. With VGT, it might improve. But again, it depends on how it is tuned.
i20 also has lag - but, since it has a bigger 1400cc engine, we feel the pinch that much lesser.

Turbolag means you have to keep changing gears often in traffic which is flowing and also in Ghat section. If you do not mind doing this, it will not effect you. With Polo's gear box, I do not have any problem in using it. Also, I do not have to worry about FE, since it is very good. In Polo-Tdi, upshifting at around 2300RPM or higher if required is the key. This is a rev-happy engine and you can relax!

Interestingly - I have read that AUTO geared diesel cars will not face the lag, even if it has a single turbo, since RPM can be maintained above the required limit easily.
Thank You for the info Chethan. Seems VW has found a very pleased owner in you. The more I see your car, the more I start loving it. Black is great.
Old 5th July 2010, 21:40   #267
BHPian

3rd Pic is awesome, two thumbs-up Polo looks grand in that, Send it to VW to put it on their website
Old 5th July 2010, 23:11   #268
Senior - BHPian

Nice Pictures Chetan, Well Shot!

Please find my replies in Bold

Quote:
My observations:
  • No problems with the tyre-grip at all. Does not make the slightest of sound and will feel planted in the curves, even when pushed hard. IMHO upgrade is not required. ODO is showing approximately 4500 Kms.
Certainly, I am really impressed by the Apollos, if one is not to do spirited driving all the time, even the 175 are good with decent grip and minimal road noise. The other day I forgot that I am running on 175s (have 205s on my cedia) and cornered hard. Although, the car did understeer a bit early due to the 175s but it was just enough to get it back on the road.
  • I have learnt to negotiate the pits - Earlier, I used to apply brakes while approaching the pits. This used to transfer the weight of the car on to the front wheels and increase the force during impact. This used to create unpleasant noise. Now, I stop applying brakes about 2 feet before the pit, and so - things are normal.
I drove a neighbour's brand new i20 yesturday back to back with my polo and thats when I realised how good Polo's suspension has been set up. i20's set up was nothing to write about.
  • I am seriously thinking of upgrading the head lights to 100 Watts halogen. Suggestions are welcome!!
The headlights are a must upgrade, I am a bit reluctant due to waranty issues. Else, polo's high beam is just about my Cedia's low beam. Also, since the polo is mostly driven by my brother, he has never complaint about the head lights.
  • AC was always on. I never felt any lack of power - at any stage.
still havent driven the Polo Diesel, but anything over 10 seconds to 100 now fell underpowered to me.. I have a heavy foot.. so please excuse.
  • Steering - Even though it is on the lighter side, it is quite precise. I have got used to it.
Drive the i20 again and you wont feel Polo's steering lighter.
  • Rear view is very bad. Could not get a hang of it as yet. I am still facing problems while taking reverse.
cant help it in cars these days, 360 vision is poor.
Quote:
VW is providing AMC at the following rate:

3 Years - 45,000 Kms - Rs.19,900/- plus Tax
4 Years - 60,000 Kms - Rs.34,072/- Plus Tax

AMC covers Oil, Filters, Brake pads, Labor etc. But does not cover AC gas and wheel balancing/alignment.

How does it help then, I believe 15k service will cost about 6-7k. So,total till 45k service should not be more than 25k, if you include coolant, brake oil, and other oil change (by the way whats the service schedule, any idea) and then you add 2.5k for brake pads which makes it around 28k. So, if one is to pay 20k plus taxes, why not pay it seperately.

I hope I didnt miss anything which will increase the cost, if I have please correct me. Also, I hope these prices are not for Diesel only.

Price for the 3rd Year Extended Warranty is yet to be announced.

I am planning to have AMC for 3 years and Ext-Warranty. In my case, AMC will be limited by the distance. What do you suggest?

just get the estimate of each service and calculate the cost. I believe it will be less if you are to drive less.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 5th July 2010 at 23:16.
Old 6th July 2010, 10:09   #269
BHPian

Quote:
I heard that Polo has a Tube-Tyre! Can you tell me how to verify this?
@ chethan , if my understanding is correct , on the sidewalls of the tyre it would be inscribed , if its a 'Tubeless' or ' tubetype'. Please check for the same .
I tried some googling on the same ,but couldnt find anything other than this .

Infact , you can keep a tube inside a tubeless tyre and fill in air if you want it to be a tube typed one.But doing it would not be a wise move for any manufacturer as he is just adding cost to his product .
So I dont think that the tyres are tube type
Old 6th July 2010, 10:34   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Nice Pictures Chetan, Well Shot!

Please find my replies in Bold
Thanks a lot - Gaurav. Nice to see you back.

Originally Posted by Chethan B G
My observations:
  • I have learnt to negotiate the pits - Earlier, I used to apply brakes while approaching the pits. This used to transfer the weight of the car on to the front wheels and increase the force during impact. This used to create unpleasant noise. Now, I stop applying brakes about 2 feet before the pit, and so - things are normal.

I drove a neighbour's brand new i20 yesturday back to back with my polo and thats when I realised how good Polo's suspension has been set up. i20's set up was nothing to write about.

In fact, i20 was ruled out in our purchase plans due to this. I had the same experience during my TD. Your words carry more waitage, since you have driven both the cars back to back.
  • I am seriously thinking of upgrading the head lights to 100 Watts halogen. Suggestions are welcome!!
The headlights are a must upgrade, I am a bit reluctant due to waranty issues. Else, polo's high beam is just about my Cedia's low beam. Also, since the polo is mostly driven by my brother, he has never complaint about the head lights.

I am trying to get it from the dealer himself, so that the warranty will continue!! Let us see what happens.
  • AC was always on. I never felt any lack of power - at any stage.
still havent driven the Polo Diesel, but anything over 10 seconds to 100 now fell underpowered to me.. I have a heavy foot.. so please excuse.

Since I was used to only 1000/1100 cc Petrol engines, I do not have a problem. People like you, who drive bigger cars, can have problems.
  • Steering - Even though it is on the lighter side, it is quite precise. I have got used to it.
Drive the i20 again and you wont feel Polo's steering lighter.

Definitely yes. i20 steering is much more lighter. I felt Punto's is heavier for city traffic but good for highways.
  • Rear view is very bad. Could not get a hang of it as yet. I am still facing problems while taking reverse.
cant help it in cars these days, 360 vision is poor.

I agree with you 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G
VW is providing AMC at the following rate:

3 Years - 45,000 Kms - Rs.19,900/- plus Tax
4 Years - 60,000 Kms - Rs.34,072/- Plus Tax

AMC covers Oil, Filters, Brake pads, Labor etc. But does not cover AC gas and wheel balancing/alignment.

How does it help then, I believe 15k service will cost about 6-7k. So,total till 45k service should not be more than 25k, if you include coolant, brake oil, and other oil change (by the way whats the service schedule, any idea) and then you add 2.5k for brake pads which makes it around 28k. So, if one is to pay 20k plus taxes, why not pay it seperately.

I hope I didnt miss anything which will increase the cost, if I have please correct me. Also, I hope these prices are not for Diesel only.

AFAIK Petrol Polo AMC price is a bit lesser. Please confirm with the dealer. These prices include everything which is as per schedule until the period mentioned. So, it should include all fluids if necessary. If you calculate the rates including synthetic oil, this look OK.

Price for the 3rd Year Extended Warranty is yet to be announced.

I am planning to have AMC for 3 years and Ext-Warranty. In my case, AMC will be limited by the distance. What do you suggest?

just get the estimate of each service and calculate the cost. I believe it will be less if you are to drive less.

I will be driving more. so no problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks