Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 10:24   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
Certainly. There is a big line up of launches for VW in near future. With 15000 KMs as service intervals, at least the workshops have good amount of time to gear up. At the moment VW will be happy if they don't find drivers like chetan (who clocks 5000 kms/month)

Already an update here. Thanks, arishi. so the stats are

Cities - 38, Dealers - 44

Forgive me for this off topic, but just an information if someone didn't know. Shell has not increased the fuel prices after the recent price hikes.
So the fuel cost is nearly same in all the bunks.
Good one Vinay! Today afternoon, I am off to Bangalore - Hassan - Chickmangalore - Mangalore - Udupi - Hassan - Bangalore. I will be back on Sunday night. Should be another 1000kms! This time I will definitely come back with the photos!! And yes - I will not forget to take the camera. I have a friend in Mangalore who is good in photography. I will try to catch hold of him and take some night snaps. But pardon me if my car looks dirty - I heard that it is raining heavily in Mangalore.

IMO Dealer list can be frozen as of now, since there are no updates in the past few days.

How is the fuel quality and quantity in Shell? Any idea?
Old 1st July 2010, 10:48   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Good one Vinay! Today afternoon, I am off to Bangalore - Hassan - Chickmangalore - Mangalore - Udupi - Hassan - Bangalore. I will be back on Sunday night. Should be another 1000kms! This time I will definitely come back with the photos!! And yes - I will not forget to take the camera. I have a friend in Mangalore who is good in photography. I will try to catch hold of him and take some night snaps. But pardon me if my car looks dirty - I heard that it is raining heavily in Mangalore.

IMO Dealer list can be frozen as of now, since there are no updates in the past few days.

How is the fuel quality and quantity in Shell? Any idea?
Great Chetan. You have displayed your polo in most parts of Karnataka by now. Though extreme north is still pending. Please don't forget the photos.

The fuel at shell is excellent. The normal petrol is way better than the premium petrol you get in other bunks. You should try to know the difference by yourself.
Old 1st July 2010, 14:21   #243
Senior - BHPian

The spare parts are certainly competitively prices. We also need to have info on the labour costs to get a fair idea of maintenance costs (especially since there are no free services).

Chetan BG, I've been looking to buy the Punto (waiting for the 90HP avatar), but your black Polo and niggle-free initial ownership experience might yet make me change my decision.
Old 1st July 2010, 17:23   #244
BHPian

Got call from VW palace cross. They said my car went for production on 27th of June and will be delivered next week.

Did you guys (who already own a polo) also knew the production date of your polo? Or is this just a plain date which they are telling to convince me (as they couldn't keep up their word of delivering in June?

I feel, at least in India the manufacturer doesn't produce (under 10 lakh) cars with the customer name written on it.
Old 1st July 2010, 18:12   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
Got call from VW palace cross. They said my car went for production on 27th of June and will be delivered next week.

Did you guys (who already own a polo) also knew the production date of your polo? Or is this just a plain date which they are telling to convince me (as they couldn't keep up their word of delivering in June?

I feel, at least in India the manufacturer doesn't produce (under 10 lakh) cars with the customer name written on it.
Gosh this is new and interesting, I will also try to find out. Maybe VW will start filming the car making process and send to all those who have booked to keep them calm
Old 1st July 2010, 18:16   #246
Senior - BHPian

Polo is some what like made to order with such a big backlog. So i think it will be invoiced to your name once the production starts. Once invoiced you should get the car in one week. But you will never know whether the dealer is speaking the truth. Something similar happened in my case.
Old 1st July 2010, 21:27   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Maybe VW will start filming the car making process and send to all those who have booked to keep them calm

wonderful. After the paper car, this is one thing VW might think of.

And poloman, thanks for the info. Hope I get my car next week.Its real lengthy wait. Now I am seriously fed up of answering "when is your car coming?" question some 15-20 times a day.

Production issues; Highline production is less; Vendor quality issue...
and what not...enough is enough
Old 1st July 2010, 22:12   #248
BHPian

The paper car is funny! But at the same time, when I received it, I thought it to be a good gesture from the manufacturer, at least they recognized that they are keeping their customers waiting, its sort of acknowledgement that ok we received your booking, sorry we`ll take some time but be assured your car is under process.
In fact I also had to answer many queries that VW has given you a paper car???
But if we look at it in a different way, all new volume players in India (at least planning to be so) faced the same issue with their new car launches, not able to predict their new car demand.
I am not sure how many manufacturers showed this gesture!

PS: I believe that any car with a waiting period of 3-4months is too much. But today this scenario is not an exception. I liked the Polo so ready to wait, might not be same with others.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:29   #249
Senior - BHPian

Mangalore Trip - Pics and Observations!!

The root I took was:

Bangalore - Hassan - Chickmangalore - Mudigere - Beltangadi - Mangalore.
Mangalore - Udupi - Karkal - Beltangadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore.

Charmadi ghats - Excellent root! Decent roads. Throughly enjoyed the trip.

My observations:
  • No problems with the tyre-grip at all. Does not make the slightest of sound and will feel planted in the curves, even when pushed hard. IMHO upgrade is not required. ODO is showing approximately 4500 Kms.
  • I have learnt to negotiate the pits - Earlier, I used to apply brakes while approaching the pits. This used to transfer the weight of the car on to the front wheels and increase the force during impact. This used to create unpleasant noise. Now, I stop applying brakes about 2 feet before the pit, and so - things are normal.
  • I am seriously thinking of upgrading the head lights to 100 Watts halogen. Suggestions are welcome!!
  • Amazing thing! - Whatever I had keep in the boot, did not get displaced, even after driving in all those ghat sections.
  • AC was always on. I never felt any lack of power - at any stage.
  • Steering - Even though it is on the lighter side, it is quite precise. I have got used to it.
  • Rear view is very bad. Could not get a hang of it as yet. I am still facing problems while taking reverse.
Now - Some Pics!! More to follow tomorrow. My Mangalore friend - Dijiraj, has a few of them including the one with the lighted interiors, in his camera and will be mailing me today evening. Once I get them, I will post it.

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7020193.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7020194.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7020195.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7020196.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7020199.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7020205.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7030286.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7030287.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7040289.jpg
Old 5th July 2010, 12:50   #250
BHPian

Excellent Chetan . Nice pics, good summary of your Polo in your current long drive. One query though - is the rear view really bad, do you think reverse parking sensor is necessary for tight parking spaces.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:57   #251
BHPian

Great Pics again, Chethan. keep the good work going. The car looks smashingly hot in these terrains.

@AvonA7 The reverse parking sensors are just audible one which gives rear distance to the obstruction, I don't find their good utility considering these. Hope someone do comment on the same with installed parking sensors.
Old 5th July 2010, 13:10   #252
BHPian

Chethan, very very good pics, I really liked the 3rd & 4th one, I somehow like the rear lights looks stylish. VW should pay you as your thread would definitely influence lot of people to buy Polo
Old 5th July 2010, 13:41   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The spare parts are certainly competitively prices. We also need to have info on the labour costs to get a fair idea of maintenance costs (especially since there are no free services).

Chetan BG, I've been looking to buy the Punto (waiting for the 90HP avatar), but your black Polo and niggle-free initial ownership experience might yet make me change my decision.
VW is providing AMC at the following rate:

3 Years - 45,000 Kms - Rs.19,900/- plus Tax
4 Years - 60,000 Kms - Rs.34,072/- Plus Tax

AMC covers Oil, Filters, Brake pads, Labor etc. But does not cover AC gas and wheel balancing/alignment.

Price for the 3rd Year Extended Warranty is yet to be announced.

I am planning to have AMC for 3 years and Ext-Warranty. In my case, AMC will be limited by the distance. What do you suggest?

When I chose Polo - Myself, My Daughter and my wife, had our own agenda. All the three had to be satisfied. Agenda is as follows:

My requirements: Ride and handling has to be the best - no compromise on that. Very good safety features. Good AC. Plan to keep the car for a long time - good built quality was required. Good driving comforts in terms of driving position and seating. Decent engine - with good FE. Good Boot space with split seat.

My wife's Requirements: Comfort, Quality and pleasing interiors, Good ride, Boot space.

My daughter's requirements: Rear seat comfort, comfortable head rest!, good ride, quality interiors.

IMHO, there is not much of a difference between Polo Tdi and Punto MJD engines in terms of performance. MJD is better WRT Turbolag - But only better, and nothing more. With VGT it might be different. Major differentiator for us, was interiors quality/ fit/ finish. We felt that we will not have much of nagging issues and so, we decided on Polo. Also for us, Unknown VW *** looked better than the TATA-Fiat ***.

You should decide purely based on your taste and requirements. VGT will be a good option IMO. But I do not know how much it will improve on performance practically. A TD report I read in Auto-Car India did not speak great about the upgrade (WRT TurboLag). Take a TD of Punto with VGT and decide.

Without comparing the two - I would say that the mid and top end performance of Polo-Tdi is great.
Old 5th July 2010, 14:11   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Excellent Chetan . Nice pics, good summary of your Polo in your current long drive. One query though - is the rear view really bad, do you think reverse parking sensor is necessary for tight parking spaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
Great Pics again, Chethan. keep the good work going. The car looks smashingly hot in these terrains.

@AvonA7 The reverse parking sensors are just audible one which gives rear distance to the obstruction, I don't find their good utility considering these. Hope someone do comment on the same with installed parking sensors.
Rear view is bad in my opinion. But, a person who is very good in taking reverse, may not feel so bad. IMO - it is user dependent.

Audible parking sensors are a waste. The one that comes with the display is good. My friend-Dijiraj is using it in his Swift-Dezire. I am planning to have one. Right now, accessories-connectors are not matched. Wires need to be sleeved. I am waiting for VW Dealer to come up with a solution. I do not want wires to be tampered in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Chethan, very very good pics, I really liked the 3rd & 4th one, I somehow like the rear lights looks stylish. VW should pay you as your thread would definitely influence lot of people to buy Polo
I do not mind the cash!!

But seriously, mine is only a Ownership-Review. If I find any problems with the car, I will definitely mention it.
Old 5th July 2010, 14:16   #255
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Great pics. It looks great in black. Btw how is the overall highway experience in the Polo TDi? Does the 3-pot motor feel underpowered on the twisties? Please give some info on the much talked about turbo-lag in the TDi.

Most Viewed