Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 12:13   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
Hi All,

This is my 1st post. To brief you all, I am one among those "still unlucky" one's who are still waiting for their polo. I have booked a white highline petrol and the delivery date is somewhere around the corner.

Chetan, I feel you are right. There is some other prominent reason behind this design of the wiper. I found the below extract in one of the magazines.

The slope and area of the windshield: Today's windshields are more sloped than ever before for improved aerodynamics. But a sleek "cab-forward" windshield with a lot of glass area directs more wind against the wipers, which can force the blades away from the glass at high speeds unless the wiper system is designed to resist lift.

And also VW uses "AERO WIPERS" (got to know from their website) in most of their cars which again relates to the above explanation. Probably AERO indicates Aerodynamics.
Congratulations Vijay - On your car!

That is interesting. Can you post the link?

Driver side wiper has some curved plastic lining attached, on the wiper. Could not understand the reason behind its presence. IMO Definitely not for aesthetics.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 25th June 2010 at 12:20.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:52   #182
BHPian

Hollo Chethan B G,

As per my reading this plastic thing help maintain wind pressure on the wiper which helps in making sure the wiper "sticks" to the glass in high speed riding.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:27   #183
BHPian

Yes, here you go!! This is from VW Canada website.

And the curved plastic lining which Chetan is talking about must be the design element.

Aero Wipers > Technical glossary > Inside VW > Welcome to Volkswagen Canada / New & Used Cars, Vans and SUVs / Volkswagen Canada

This site also has a vast glossary, all related to VW technology and other minor information (customized for Canada though).
Old 25th June 2010, 14:43   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

It works like a wing, or, in car terms, a spoiler --- pushing the wiper onto the glass.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:50   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It works like a wing, or, in car terms, a spoiler --- pushing the wiper onto the glass.
Exactly! It provides the required down-force.
Old 25th June 2010, 15:07   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Mostly by 2nd week of July from VW Palace Cross. This is after the date being postponed by 2 months. All because of the Highline variant, as their production was limited till a few days back (if I have to believe the dealer).
So you waited for 5 months
Old 25th June 2010, 15:34   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
So you waited for 5 months
Unfortunately yes. But frankly no other car would have made me wait this long. You don't feel like ditching this beauty you know
Old 25th June 2010, 17:05   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I had been to Mysore, Kuppam and Chitradurga this week. All trips were day trips from Bangalore. 300 + 250 + 450 = 1000 Kms in all. Checked FE twice (tank full to tank full method).

With AC on 100% of the time, and driving normally, FE was 19 Kmpl both the times consistently. I used to drive between 100 - 120 Kmph with 2 passengers in the car. I have been using Normal Diesel only.

MFD was showing an avg FE of around 21 Kmpl both the times. So I assume that it shows 2 Kmpl higher.

MFD reading slowly increases as we begin to drive. finally it stabilizes at the peak. Reading was taken at the end of the journey. So, logically it should reflect the entire journey - Avg FE - Comparable with our tank-full method.

I could cover all these trips one way, about 20 - 30 mins earlier then I used to take in Spark. This is mainly due to in gear acceleration, which is very good.
19 on highway is not very good mileage out of 3 pot small 1.2 engine. I was expecting atleast 22 kmpl with AC and 25 without AC with the speed you drove and the number of person sitting in car. 120 to 140 could have impact on mileage.

How was the power/torque on highway ? I think, it should be good because of diesel engine.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 25th June 2010 at 17:07.
Old 25th June 2010, 17:11   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I was expecting atleast 22 kmpl with AC and 25 without AC with the speed you drove and the number of person sitting in car. .
how many cars in the market give that type of mileage?
Old 25th June 2010, 20:42   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately yes. But frankly no other car would have made me wait this long. You don't feel like ditching this beauty you know
I am sure that you will be happy in the end. People might say that I am biased in my opinion towards Polo. But seriously, I should have a reason to talk some thing negative - Right? This car has not given me any reason.

I have upgraded from spark. May be, because of that I do not feel any short coming with engine power - at any stage. I am not used to ACC, Steering mounted controls, E-ORVM ... etc. So I do not miss them at all. What ever is available on the car is top class. I am falling love with this car. I had experienced similar feeling when I started using Matiz for the first time. Now, with this car I feel - yet again - completely satisfied. This is a decent family car - no doubt about that.

Quote:
19 on highway is not very good mileage out of 3 pot small 1.2 engine. I was expecting atleast 22 kmpl with AC and 25 without AC with the speed you drove and the number of person sitting in car. 120 to 140 could have impact on mileage.

How was the power/torque on highway ? I think, it should be good because of diesel engine.
This will have about 10% city driving also. I did not think that it was so very important to mention. That might improve FE a bit. It also depends on the driving style. I was driving very casually without bothering about acceleration-brake business. I am happy with the FE.

Power / torque on highway was very good. If you look at the RPM Vs Speed Vs Gear that I have posted on this thread, you will get an idea. I was able to stay ahead of the traffic - most of the times.
Old 25th June 2010, 22:33   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hollo Chethan B G,

As per my reading this plastic thing help maintain wind pressure on the wiper which helps in making sure the wiper "sticks" to the glass in high speed riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Quote:
Exactly! It provides the required down-force.
Thanks Guys! Now I know!!

Any idea on what to mix with the wiper fluid for best results?
Old 25th June 2010, 22:52   #192
BHPian

Quote:
I have upgraded from spark. May be, because of that I do not feel any short coming with engine power - at any stage. I am not used to ACC, Steering mounted controls, E-ORVM ... etc. So I do not miss them at all. What ever is available on the car is top class. I am falling love with this car. I had experienced similar feeling when I started using Matiz for the first time. Now, with this car I feel - yet again - completely satisfied. This is a decent family car - no doubt about that.
I agree Chetan. Niceties are missing. But as you said, what ever this car has, is of top quality and is seen in, for example wiper design. Wiper is one example and there could be many more which are unseen.

The point i am trying to say here is, why should VW break their head on designing wipers when they can just provide a conventional wiper system. They could have easily transferred the investment on wiper design into squeezing in the ACC / E-ORVM / Steering mounted audio controls.

I am happy that VW didn't do that.
Old 26th June 2010, 01:12   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
how many cars in the market give that type of mileage?
Quote:

This will have about 10% city driving also. I did not think that it was so very important to mention. That might improve FE a bit. It also depends on the driving style. I was driving very casually without bothering about acceleration-brake business. I am happy with the FE.

Power / torque on highway was very good. If you look at the RPM Vs Speed Vs Gear that I have posted on this thread, you will get an idea. I was able to stay ahead of the traffic - most of the times.
I am not telling the mileage is bad, its good, but not very good. One of my friend has 6 month old Maruti Dzire, and he reported 22 KMPL on highway with AC and 4 people sitting, driving between 80 to 120 KMPH. The old Indica 1.4 diesel without turbo, gives very good mileage

I know you have no problem with the mileage, I am not compalining here. But I was expecting the competitive mileage when it was launched.

I get between 13-14 in my Palio 1.2, with auto cut-off on highway. And my driving is not normal. Usually I do 800 to 1000 KM in a day. And most of the time the speed is 120 to 140. And I am also happy with the mileage
Old 26th June 2010, 09:06   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not telling the mileage is bad, its good, but not very good. One of my friend has 6 month old Maruti Dzire, and he reported 22 KMPL on highway with AC and 4 people sitting, driving between 80 to 120 KMPH. The old Indica 1.4 diesel without turbo, gives very good mileage

I know you have no problem with the mileage, I am not compalining here. But I was expecting the competitive mileage when it was launched.

I get between 13-14 in my Palio 1.2, with auto cut-off on highway. And my driving is not normal. Usually I do 800 to 1000 KM in a day. And most of the time the speed is 120 to 140. And I am also happy with the mileage
ARAI 22 Kms - will be in test conditions. I do not know exactly what those test conditions are. Above 90 Kmph, wind Resistance increases exponentially. If we drive at an avg speed of 80 Kmph, we can definitely get Fe in the range of 22 - 24 from this car.

This car is precisely 3 weeks old. Generally, before the first service, FE will be slightly less. May be, FE will slightly improve after it runs about 6000 Kms. One positive thing about this car is that, even if we drive it hard, FE will not drop much.

By saying this, I do not mean that other cars are bad. There are many other good cars in the market. Palio is surely one among them. I am talking only about Polo.

"Polo is most Fuel efficient car in the world" may be because of, it's lower Co2 emission, aerodynamic design and cleaner burning of the fuel. It may not always translate in to the best FE. But, if we drive it hard, we can know the difference.

Personally, as long as the car gives a decent FE, I am not bothered much.
Old 26th June 2010, 09:49   #195
BHPian

Hi Chetan,

You are doing a great job, I like reading your post, you try to give so much information in a detailed way with stats. Just a suggestion, you travel so much why don`t you start creating your own thread in the Travelogue section too. At least people interested in travelling would get to know more about the places too

Most Viewed