Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 11:07   #166
BHPian

Poloman, any particular reason for not opting for sunfilm?...I mean this is one thing which everyone opts for first post delivery of car.

I can't think driving without a sunfilm, what with my laptop and other stuff lying inside, apart from privacy factor! Also, UV rays may be particularly harmful for the interiors (especially leather seats & dashboard), even if you are comfortable with the heat/coolness inside.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:18   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
The reflection in the ORVM is only an illusion..the real culprit is the window glass..the reflection is actually taking place there.
Full marks to you Sanjay!! You are absolutely right!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chetan, As a policy I don't put sun film on my cars. good to hear from you that the car looks better without sun film. I also think Polo has some form of tint since the interiors are much cooler even with out A/C.
Poloman - Even the roof insulation is superb.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:20   #168
Senior - BHPian

Sanjay, normally I don't like any type of installations in a new car. I don't trust installers much. Also I am of the belief sunfilm hampers all around visibilty. The sun films are prone to scratches and optical discrepancies over a period of time. May be you have costly options which negates these shortcomings. But I prefer not to do it.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:51   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chetan, As a policy I don't put sun film on my cars. good to hear from you that the car looks better without sun film. I also think Polo has some form of tint since the interiors are much cooler even with out A/C.
Yeah I gues you are correct the HL variants has green tinted glass AFAIK
Old 21st June 2010, 17:23   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
The reflection in the ORVM is only an illusion..the real culprit is the window glass..the reflection is actually taking place there.
Yes, of course: it is the window glass that is giving the reflection.

Actually, I am no fan of chrome, inside or out. It's main purpose is to show off my lack of car care: maybe letting it get dull is the answer!

If I go for the highline, do I have to put up with chrome?

I'm also not keen on tiny cosmetic changes being used to justify model differences. Why on earth does "body-coloured" or "chrome" justify a higher price --- and what's so great about either anyway? Either the design calls for (eg) coloured door handles or it doesn't. "We'll make the door handles balck and charge extra for coloured ones"... Hmmm...
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2010, 18:23   #171
BHPian

So true...
Unfortunately on the other hand they add basic required stuff (i.e. Rear wipers, Airbags, ABS) which should be on all variants only for the higher variants thus making people who prefer these, have to put up with nasty stuff like OE ICE, etc.

Now, if they made these available as options, see how many lower variants sell with options...Specially from BHPians
Imagine, having the essentials like airbags, abs,etc. & not putting up with & paying for the stuff you dont require. Then installing what you want with the money saved - say much better ICE
Old 21st June 2010, 18:37   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
So true...
Unfortunately on the other hand they add basic required stuff (i.e. Rear wipers, Airbags, ABS) which should be on all variants only for the higher variants thus making people who prefer these, have to put up with nasty stuff like OE ICE, etc.

Now, if they made these available as options, see how many lower variants sell with options...Specially from BHPians
Imagine, having the essentials like airbags, abs,etc. & not putting up with & paying for the stuff you dont require. Then installing what you want with the money saved - say much better ICE
Absolutely agree, but Car companies make loads of money on those models in the name of features so it would remain for a long time
Old 21st June 2010, 19:19   #173
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, a car should have all the bells and whistles right from the base variant. For the top end, better engine choice should be provided.

Stuffs like ACC, Steering mounted controls, Music system with BT, DVD, GPS, USB - Can be optional. Today, whatever is available as accessories is all meaningless.

Industry and Customers have to mature for this to happen.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 21st June 2010 at 19:29.
Old 21st June 2010, 19:19   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Years ago (nearly twenty) I was told that BMW policy was to sell a very basic model --- allowing the buyer to order the extras they wanted. I have no idea if that is still the case or not.

Whilst it makes sense, I'm afraid that, whatever the base price, we will always grumble about what isn't included. Human nature!
Old 21st June 2010, 19:57   #175
BHPian

At least the basic features (safety) should be made mandatory by govt. We can see cars today without left ORVM in some of base models, not sure why this is not provided, they don`t cost much and considering the traffic in our roads this is most basic and cheap feature IMO. Also, the safety ratings provided to a car should state the model clearly. Eg. i20 top model comes with 6 airbags, ABS and all, but not all i20 models would score same ratings, i20era does not have airbags or ABS, yes customer awareness also matters.
Anyways today saw 2 new POLO in front of my office - white and red both with ribbons attached, seems like delivered today only, looking great. Hope VW increased production.
Old 21st June 2010, 22:14   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, the safety ratings provided to a car should state the model clearly. Eg. i20 top model comes with 6 airbags, ABS and all, but not all i20 models would score same ratings, i20era does not have airbags or ABS, yes customer awareness also matters.
That makes a lot of sense. People do need informed, authoritative information
Old 25th June 2010, 08:49   #177
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Mysore, Kuppam and Chitradurga this week. All trips were day trips from Bangalore. 300 + 250 + 450 = 1000 Kms in all. Checked FE twice (tank full to tank full method).

With AC on 100% of the time, and driving normally, FE was 19 Kmpl both the times consistently. I used to drive between 100 - 120 Kmph with 2 passengers in the car. I have been using Normal Diesel only.

MFD was showing an avg FE of around 21 Kmpl both the times. So I assume that it shows 2 Kmpl higher.

MFD reading slowly increases as we begin to drive. finally it stabilizes at the peak. Reading was taken at the end of the journey. So, logically it should reflect the entire journey - Avg FE - Comparable with our tank-full method.

I could cover all these trips one way, about 20 - 30 mins earlier then I used to take in Spark. This is mainly due to in gear acceleration, which is very good.
Old 25th June 2010, 10:40   #178
BHPian

Hi All,

This is my 1st post. To brief you all, I am one among those "still unlucky" one's who are still waiting for their polo. I have booked a white highline petrol and the delivery date is somewhere around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Your explanation on the wind noise really makes sense. Maybe - it also reduce wind Resistance, there-by contributing to the aerodynamic design. But, I still feel that there should be some other prominent reason behind this design, since this is not a new found design by VW.
Chetan, I feel you are right. There is some other prominent reason behind this design of the wiper. I found the below extract in one of the magazines.

The slope and area of the windshield: Today's windshields are more sloped than ever before for improved aerodynamics. But a sleek "cab-forward" windshield with a lot of glass area directs more wind against the wipers, which can force the blades away from the glass at high speeds unless the wiper system is designed to resist lift.

And also VW uses "AERO WIPERS" (got to know from their website) in most of their cars which again relates to the above explanation. Probably AERO indicates Aerodynamics.
Old 25th June 2010, 11:58   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
Hi All,

This is my 1st post. To brief you all, I am one among those "still unlucky" one's who are still waiting for their polo. I have booked a white highline petrol and the delivery date is somewhere around the corner.
Hey when is your delivery expected and which dealer ?
Old 25th June 2010, 12:12   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Hey when is your delivery expected and which dealer ?
Mostly by 2nd week of July from VW Palace Cross. This is after the date being postponed by 2 months. All because of the Highline variant, as their production was limited till a few days back (if I have to believe the dealer).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks