Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 13:11   #916
BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
My observations/views -
* Window Visor (to protect from rain) - Not so useful. Affects the looks of the car and performance (creates a bit of drag and wind noise). I would rather keep the windows closed with the AC on during rains.

* Reverse parking sensor with display - Do you really need a reverse parking sensor for a small car like polo? I never felt the need. The size is easily estimatable.

* 3M or V-Kool Sun film - Llumar quality is decent enough, though 3M might be better.

* OEM music system upgrade (RCD510??) - Go for an upgrade only if you want a HU with GPS and Bluetooth/Front Aux input. Otherwise the OEM HU is decent enough. To get the best out of the EOM you might want to change the OEM speakers with a better set. That would give you good enough sound.
I agree with sadnabrina on all of the above.

By the way, so now there will be at least 2 silver Polo 1.6's on Bangalore roads!
Old 29th April 2011, 14:09   #917

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
My observations/views -
* Window Visor (to protect from rain) - Not so useful. Affects the looks of the car and performance (creates a bit of drag and wind noise). I would rather keep the windows closed with the AC on during rains.

* Reverse parking sensor with display - Do you really need a reverse parking sensor for a small car like polo? I never felt the need. The size is easily estimatable.

* 3M or V-Kool Sun film - Llumar quality is decent enough, though 3M might be better.

* OEM music system upgrade (RCD510??) - Go for an upgrade only if you want a HU with GPS and Bluetooth/Front Aux input. Otherwise the OEM HU is decent enough. To get the best out of the EOM you might want to change the OEM speakers with a better set. That would give you good enough sound.
Thanks for the feedback Sadnabrina.

Reverse parking sensor - I agree with you - I don't need one; but, my wife who is new to driving would definitely need it!

I'll go for 3M sun film

Music system - as you said, I'll go for better speakers (maybe Hertz - I read somewhere else on the Polo thread that the sound clarity improved by
almost 50%).
Old 1st May 2011, 02:13   #918
BHPian

Hello again friends, my black polo TDI is almost ready, I ll pick up on Tuesday !
First thing I want to do is change Tyres to 205.55.15 , I' m looking for extreme comfort , least road noise , last 25k km, and go over pot holes and cement road gaps without any noise. I have Mumbai Pune express highway trip twice a month at least and 4 trips to goa in a year also more to new places ad hoc. I don't always race, but some times I do.

Will Yokohama s drives serve the purpose or anything in Michelin or continental ? Kindly suggest? Price is not a constraint.

How much less mileage will I get with tyre upgrade? By 1kmpl or 2kmpl or more?

Any other downside of tyre upgrade?
Old 1st May 2011, 19:11   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
First thing I want to do is change Tyres to 205.55.15 , I' m looking for extreme comfort , least road noise , last 25k km, and go over pot holes and cement road gaps without any noise.
xtreme comfort - Stock tires (185/60R15) will be better. You are shifting to a wider tire in a lower profile. Comfort will reduce a

least road noise - Wider Tires make more road noise

last 25k km- all will

go over pot holes and cement road gaps without any noise
. - Lower profile means higher noise. Suggest you go in for a comfort oriented brand.
Quote:
Will Yokohama s drives serve the purpose or anything in Michelin or continental ? Kindly suggest? Price is not a constraint.
Try if you can get Yoko C.Drive

Quote:

I dont think your mileage will drop by more than 1 kmpl.

Quote:
Very minute reduction in top speed and slightly higher chance aquaplaning in lot of rain. Pls purchase a pattern that is known for wet grip.

Net net - A car with Polo's power output is pretty good with stock size. If you really need to upgrade Pls purchase something like Michelin Energy Xm1+ / Michelin Primacy LC or Yoko C.Drive.
Old 2nd May 2011, 01:34   #920
BHPian

Thank you Buffetfan!

The 205.55.15 has slightly higher sidewalls than 185.60.15 and hence it wont affect ride quality, infact better it. This I understood from one of GTO's post earlier. He recommended that this is indeed the best size upgrade for Polo and Vento as the overall diam increase is only 0.5%. All other tyres will cause 1.5% variation or more.

Also I dont think Yoko provides C drives in this size, Alas! Thats why my confusion and question was which would be the most comfort oriented tyres which will feel like a proper upgrade from the stock tyres. Since this is a brand new car I really dont mind spending some money on it as I will keep it for atleast 5 years. So why not enjoy to the fullest glory right from day 1

Friends all your suggestions and comments are really welcome!
Old 2nd May 2011, 02:12   #921
BHPian

I did a bit of more research:

BUT - I didnt find any comfort oriented tyres in 205.55.15. The only ones available were Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 and Yokohoma S Drive. I want to know how do these tyres compare to Apollo Accelere. Feel free to give all sorts of opinion - from a practicality point of view. Will I feel the road gaps on cement/concrete roads? Will they be more noisy than Accelere? Kindly list advantages and disadvantages.

The only other option I thought was to go with 195/60. And these tyres are available in Michelin Primacy and Yoko C Drive. But the error margin is 1.97% compared to only 0.5% with 205 tyres.

For me if 205 tyres that I listed above provide more comfort than Accelere (& ofcourse they will provide better handling and speed) then I will go for it. Or else I should go to 195.60 comfort oriented ones. What is the opinion here?

Also is there any other tyre company I should look at which has this size and are good ones? I dont mind Indian brand either if they are near comparable to Mich or Yokos.
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:14   #922
BHPian

Acceleres are actually pretty good all purpose tyres. I suggest you keep the stock for the first 25 k km and then change. By that time you will have a fair idea of how the car performs in stock tyres and would be able to take a more informed decision based on 1st hand experience.
Quote:
I did a bit of more research:

BUT - I didnt find any comfort oriented tyres in 205.55.15. The only ones available were Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 and Yokohoma S Drive. I want to know how do these tyres compare to Apollo Accelere. Feel free to give all sorts of opinion - from a practicality point of view. Will I feel the road gaps on cement/concrete roads? Will they be more noisy than Accelere? Kindly list advantages and disadvantages.

The only other option I thought was to go with 195/60. And these tyres are available in Michelin Primacy and Yoko C Drive. But the error margin is 1.97% compared to only 0.5% with 205 tyres.

For me if 205 tyres that I listed above provide more comfort than Accelere (& ofcourse they will provide better handling and speed) then I will go for it. Or else I should go to 195.60 comfort oriented ones. What is the opinion here?

Also is there any other tyre company I should look at which has this size and are good ones? I dont mind Indian brand either if they are near comparable to Mich or Yokos.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:58   #923

Quote:
Acceleres are actually pretty good all purpose tyres. I suggest you keep the stock for the first 25 k km and then change. By that time you will have a fair idea of how the car performs in stock tyres and would be able to take a more informed decision based on 1st hand experience.
I'm getting my Polo 1.6 on this Wednesday (May 4th)!

Hmmm.... I'm looking to change tires to some other brand (I'll keep stock size). I've read some reviews that road noise is high in Accelere's. Wonder which other brands make this tire.. and any recommendations??

(BTW, I checked on net, Michelin India doesn't have 185/60 R15's :( )
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:47   #924
BHPian

Congrats Shrishi! Which colour ? Do post pics when you get! I think even you need tyre upgrade! Especially since you have a hot engine.

I ll be getting mine today! Just can't wait . I m preparing checklist and thanks to tbhp for creating a live encyclopedia on Indian car stuff! All the damn things are here.
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:29   #925

Quote:
Congrats Shrishi! Which colour ? Do post pics when you get! I think even you need tyre upgrade! Especially since you have a hot engine.

I ll be getting mine today! Just can't wait . I m preparing checklist and thanks to tbhp for creating a live encyclopedia on Indian car stuff! All the damn things are here.
Thanks Frontosa! And congrats to you too!!

I chose Silver color.

I don't plan to upgrade the size of the tire.. I'm looking to swap OEM size (185/60 R15) with a different brand - maybe Yoko or Bridgestone.

Michelin doesn't make that size in India, else, that was my first choice (I have them on my Innova and they're awesome!).

I spoke to Stanley folks yesterday for leather seats - it ranges from 29k all the way up to 51k (they have 4 different models).

And @ 3M Car Care shop, 3M Crystalline Automotive sunfilm (including front windshield film) costs 23k.

I'll go for Sunfilm now.. and for leather seats a bit later.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:31   #926
BHPian

Small update - I received my black beauty tdi highline yesterday
I have lot of things to say, will start ownership thread soon!
Thank you Chetan and poloman & sadnabrina & others (sorry if I missed any) it influenced my decision to buy this

Wait for a detailed report from me, till them adios
Old 4th May 2011, 11:54   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Small update - I received my black beauty tdi highline yesterday
I have lot of things to say, will start ownership thread soon!
Thank you Chetan and poloman & sadnabrina & others (sorry if I missed any) it influenced my decision to buy this

Wait for a detailed report from me, till them adios
Congratulations. Have a safe drive.
sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 12:16   #928
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello again friends, my black polo TDI is almost ready, I ll pick up on Tuesday !
First thing I want to do is change Tyres to 205.55.15 , I' m looking for extreme comfort , least road noise , last 25k km, and go over pot holes and cement road gaps without any noise. I have Mumbai Pune express highway trip twice a month at least and 4 trips to goa in a year also more to new places ad hoc. I don't always race, but some times I do.

Sorry if this is a late reply. But since you are not looking for grip, but are looking for more comfortable tyres, I suggest you get 195/60 R15 C-drives. The 2% error is acceptable, and the road noise and comfort should improve a bit.

S-Drives make noise and give a slightly stiff ride. So avoid them. And 205's are overkill for a Polo Tdi.

Also I dont think you will see any difference in the mileage with an upgrade to 195.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 12:24   #929
Senior - BHPian

@Frontosa, I agree with akshay, first S-Drives make a lot of noise and then they can shape out at the smallest of bump. Second, you wont be able to exploit even half the capabilities of S-Drives with that 1.2 engine. And hence, C-drives will better suit your requirements of comfort and less road noise. According to me, even 185s should be sufficient.

Michelin PS3 is another option you may wish to check. Despite being sporty tyre, they are relatively less noisier than S-Drives and more comfortable too. But again you wont be able to exploit full capabilities of these tyres as well.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 4th May 2011 at 12:33.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 15:51   #930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Alex! A long trip is the right thing to do in the Run-In Period! It will do a world of good to your new car. Just make sure that you do not exceed 75% of the engine speed.
==============
Last, but not the least!! A pic I had forgotten to upload!! This in enroute to Bellary.

Attachment 434148
Hi Chethan - Did you review any other speakers before finalizing on Hertz speakers?

I got my Polo 1.6 last week and I'm looking to upgrade the speakers on them (without changing the HU or adding an amp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
@Frontosa, I agree with akshay, first S-Drives make a lot of noise and then they can shape out at the smallest of bump. Second, you wont be able to exploit even half the capabilities of S-Drives with that 1.2 engine. And hence, C-drives will better suit your requirements of comfort and less road noise. According to me, even 185s should be sufficient.

Michelin PS3 is another option you may wish to check. Despite being sporty tyre, they are relatively less noisier than S-Drives and more comfortable too. But again you wont be able to exploit full capabilities of these tyres as well.
I just installed Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15 on my Polo 1.6. They're very good. Comfort has improved.. drive is lot smooth now and road noise has significantly reduced (compared to what it was with stock Apollo Accelere's).

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th May 2011 at 16:40. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quite+) instead. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks